• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
This is a very good point, but I would like to raise the counter-point (heh) that Counter-Earth is really, really lame
Well yeah, it's a planet with pig people. It's automatically lame.

But it's also a planet so perfectly placed that you can't find it unless you already know where it is. It'd be safer to set up shop there than it would be to set up on Mars. Everyone knows where Mars is.

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, it's a planet with pig people. It's automatically lame.

But it's also a planet so perfectly placed that you can't find it unless you already know where it is. It'd be safer to set up shop there than it would be to set up on Mars. Everyone knows where Mars is.

Yeah, but that means Mars has that name recognition. If you say "Mutants are on Mars now" everyone will be all "Oh shit" but if you say "Mutants are on Counter-Earth with the animal people" no ones going to take that seriously

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'd love to see snippets of the psychic conversation that happened during their election.

I like to imagine there were enough votes for a Wolverine to be on the team to beat out everyone else, but the split between Laura and Logan would have kept them both off until everyone realized Logan wasn't interested.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What is the Hellfire Gala surprise?

1. Mars is Mutant Planet now.
2. Mutants now sell underwear-shaped drugs that humans must use
3. Xaviers explains why they won't resurrect all those cloned characters minus the ones he likes because reasons.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Jfc. Who's running the inhumans? And are they back to being irrelevant?
don't know, I stopped paying attention to them just before Inhumans vs X-Men. And since I haven't seen them in the books, I'm sure they're back to being irrelevant.

What is the Hellfire Gala surprise?

1. Mars is Mutant Planet now.
2. Mutants now sell underwear-shaped drugs that humans must use
3. Xaviers explains why they won't resurrect all those cloned characters minus the ones he likes because reasons.
It's going to be Mars. I'm sure the clone thing will come up in Inferno.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Who's the best mutant ?
- Kitty Pryde
- Ariel
- Sprite
- Shadowcat
- Kate Pryde
- The Red Queen
🤷‍♂️

I guess we could vote on filling these open seats but the pool they could tap from is way too wide.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
No Johnathan!

6308253-all-new%20wolverine%20%282015-%29%20031-002.jpg

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why everyone at the gala would be aghast at the idea of mutants colonizing Mars.

A lot of blood has been spilled over people claiming territory that they didn't have before.

Also it ties in to what Namor said earlier when he said he owned 70% of the planet and they owned an island. Now they have a whole damn planet

Edit: Ooh missed that Quentin was gathering all of the Omegas, would be crazy if they just terraformed the whole thing right in front of everyone

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of blood has been spilled over people claiming territory that they didn't have before.

Also it ties in to what Namor said earlier when he said he owned 70% of the planet and they owned an island. Now they have a whole damn planet
And money! Some of the organizations that no doubt make up ORCHIS have attempted to do mad science shit and make money off of Mars, unsuccessfully because they're evil, the fact that FTL drives aren't common on Earth, and because it costs a shit ton of money.

And now we got some teleporting muties about to make quadrillions off of mineral wealth and establish a galactic society! We can't let them do that even though for the past 20 years of their superheroing, they've been knee deep in alien shit for 16 of those years and already have ties to several galactic and universal societies and Wakanda already set up an empire off Earth!

We can't let that shit happen!

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently there were tons of cameos of known people (Patton Oswald, Conan O'Brien, Feige, etc.) and lesser known people (e.g., the podcasters from Marvel.com). Makes me want to find a comprehensive list.

I think all of the writers are in their specific issues. You see Zeb Wells in Hellions and Hickman's in today's X-Men. I know Leah Williams is going to be in X-Factor too.

Also Eminem's in X-men lmao, the cameos are wild

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
really loved X-Men this week and both gala books I've read, Marauders and this. they've done a good job of making it feel like a party and also the restraint to just let it be that. it's been a fun lower case "e" event. dauterman/wilson and pichelli/woodard were the good shit. I don't think dauterman and wilson's work has ever looked this good tbh, it was every panel every page, the jean thing was great, the full team page was great, wolverine with the skewer was great. and pichelli and woodard's section was great, I don't think I've seen better colors for pichelli's art. the whole emma section was really well done. good stuff

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question--what is the actual current origin of the Stepford Cuckoos? I've never followed them super closely but I always assumed they were clones of Emma Frost, but is that not exactly true (like how Laura is technically considered Logan's "daughter" genetically now)?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Quick question--what is the actual current origin of the Stepford Cuckoos? I've never followed them super closely but I always assumed they were clones of Emma Frost, but is that not exactly true (like how Laura is technically considered Logan's "daughter" genetically now)?
They are living Sentinels like Fantomex, designation Weapon XIV.

When Emma Frost lay comatose after Trevor Fitzroy killed the Hellions. The Weapon Plus program harvested her ova and made genetically engineered clones of her. The 1000-in-One are able to link their telepathy in a hive mind in order to increase their magnitude of telepathic strength. Each one is a Telepath slightly lower in power than Emma, but as they link they grow stronger.

Five escaped Weapon Plus and became the Five-in-One and came to the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning (rebranded from the Xavier school for Gifted Youngsters) where Emma became their mentor.

After Sophie and Esme died they became the Three-in-one and once held the Phoenix Force inside diamond-formed hearts until Hope returned.

The Hive mind nature of them means that individuality can be hard for them as one of them tends to dominate the hive with their own personality.

They did go full individuals during Bendis's run but it seems after they decided they sort of prefer the hive concept, even trying to resurrect Sophie and Esme into other people before the protocols were revealed.

Since then they seem to accept that Emma is their mum. And during Bendis's run it was revealed that Emma can hive mind with them as well.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Original Inferno Prologue and Inferno complete collections digitally. Going through the prologue right now.

I haven't gotten to anything by Claremont yet but some of this dialog is painful. Boom Boom have come a long way from being a stereotypical teenage mall rat.

Is there better content waiting for me or more of the same? Lol.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017

So...could the worldwide telepathic X-Men voting that Jean initiated at the Gala be a sort of preview of an "Intelligence" level society? Could the same process be used to establish their own vwrsion of a Supreme Intelligence?

And could the Omegas, along with Krakoa perhaps, not only terraform Mars, but also start converting it into a Worldmind for mutantkind?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
So...could the worldwide telepathic X-Men voting that Jean initiated at the Gala be a sort of preview of an "Intelligence" level society? Could the same process be used to establish their own vwrsion of a Supreme Intelligence?

And could the Omegas, along with Krakoa perhaps, not only terraform Mars, but also start converting it into a Worldmind for mutantkind?

No, no, annnnd no.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, well...you've been wrong before.

Tales from your ass here. There's no indication Xavier helped. Emma got herself in there completely disoriented *without machine assistance* so it's in her powerset to get herself back. And emma is once again in terms of raw power one of the weaker telepaths in the books, but her *skill* with it is high enough that she's able to hang with much stronger telepaths regardless.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Yeah, well...you've been wrong before.

Sure. But not in either of those sections you just quoted. Both are correct.

But to your question, linking a bunch of individual minds together to vote on something is in no way equivalent to a single consciousness 10,000x more powerful/efficient than the average mind.

Two completely different scenarios there, like saying a room full of high school students collaborating is equivalent to stephen hawking.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Jean basically just opened a global chat room rather than fusing everyone into a Borg-style hive mind.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Yeah, Jean basically just opened a global chat room rather than fusing everyone into a Borg-style hive mind.

"global chat room" is the best way to put that.

Strangely though, the Eternals are capable of doing the "borg style hive mind" thing but i don't think Hickman took that into account when making that data page.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Those are specifically machine intelligences, they aren't going to apply to mutant technology for well... fairly obvious reasons. :P

Sure. But not in either of those sections you just quoted. Both are correct.

But to your question, linking a bunch of individual minds together to vote on something is in no way equivalent to a single consciousness 10,000x more powerful/efficient than the average mind.

Two completely different scenarios there, like saying a room full of high school students collaborating is equivalent to stephen hawking.

I didn't say it's an exact 1:1 nor did I say equivalent. I used the terms "preview" and "their own version of". It's an (speculatory on my part) extrapolation. There's an order of magnitude difference between the very first Cerebro and the one of today, but there's a throughline. Jean linked approximately 100,000 mutant minds that all intermingled and focused on a goal of selecting a team of X-Men based on the collective agreement of who best represents them among those who put themselves forward to be chosen.

On a smaller scale, Jean did something similar at the start of X-Men Red when she assembled some of humanity's best and brightest and linked them to try to come up with a vision forward for human/mutant coexistence. That kind of unified, collective processing can't be extrapolated in scale and towards other tasks?

We've seen since Krakoa was established that they are trying to rely less and less on human technology and shift towards tech based on mutant gifts. Forge specifically has been creating "biological machines". Based on what Moira learned from her longest life, and also how she and Xavier are now going to "break all of the rules", and going from an island to now a planet, I can see them soon starting to lay the building blocks to establish a mutant-based collective intelligence.

And you were 100% wrong about the Emma thing.