• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The X-office isn't having an uncomfortable time with this at all.
This is not about an in universe issue so much as it is about the writers room and how they don't really want to open an ableist can of worms with what they consider your "best self". Honestly, that's exactly why I didn't sweat that robotic leg thing too much, and I wouldn't really mind if it's never directly addressed in the books.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
This is not about an in universe issue so much as it is about the writers room and how they don't really want to open an ableist can of worms with what they consider your "best self". Honestly, that's exactly why I didn't sweat that robotic leg thing too much, and I wouldn't really mind if it's never directly addressed in the books.

Is it a writer's room issue? They've demonstrated a few times that they can and will make adjustments.

Cyclops lost an eye during Rosenberg's run, and Domino ended up crippled and using prosthetics after that whole kidnapping business.

Both got "restored" without any real debate. Growing back a missing leg lost in a fight seems to be more of the same.

The only "debates" about the issue seem to be in regard to correcting physical deformities or impairments that result from one's own mutation.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, letting it simmer a bit, if everything is as it appears, the whole thing makes Charles, Erik, and Moira look incompetent, in that they've built a house of cards that relies on Mystique, the wife of the one woman Moira wants to avoid. It's not necessarily out of character for Charles and Erik tbh, but I could see how this was something they actually wanted to play out. So, 4D chess or they're morons lol

I think Moira having Destiny's diary pretty clearly recontextualizes the whole thing as 4D chess. They're playing an insane game of cat and mouse. Moira has probably spent lifetimes learning more about Destiny, Mystique, and the future as Destiny sees it then Destiny herself could ever know. This totally evens the playing field. She can't just come back and ice Moira and Mystique couldn't wake up early enough to pull it off either.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Be real interesting if Moira, Destiny, and Mystique had a long chat in her last life. I'm guessing she already knew what she was going to do going in (given she had no way of stopping Nimrod coming online in that life). Lay the ground works for this life, Destiny knowing exactly what she'd do in the event she saw the whole precog ban coming. What she'd tell Mystique to do. The three of them planning out a long chess game spanning two lives that two of them would be entirely unaware they were playing.

What if, just like the Sentinels, there was really no way to ever stop a Nimrod from happening? But there was a way to have it come online on their terms? Too early and they're defenseless. Too late and they've gotten soft or fallen apart.

But what about just after their numbers have swelled to twenty million?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
What if, just like the Sentinels, there was really no way to ever stop a Nimrod from happening?

Firstly. AI isn't an invention it's a discovery.

Second. As the Claremont X-Men, the Hellfire Club, the Outback X-Men, the Operation Zero Tolerance X-Men, the Academy X X-Men, Post Messiah War X-Force and all mutants during Second Coming if a Nimrod is a possibility or an inevitability.

All that was being done in Dawn of X was trying to hold it off. Ask Nightcrawler what happens.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't had a chance to pick up 20 yet, but just on briefly skimming the thread, super hyped at finally having a (detailed) follow up to Mystique's efforts (+ Destiny Shenanigans) from however many issues ago it was where they just kinda....cut away.

edit: Oh. Hmm.

Not really what I wanted/hoped for, but definitely a crazy reveal at the end there, and just who exactly is trying to fool whom.

Mystique definitely could have been off-station far earlier and just left the bomb in a corner (and the way she purposefully waits around to make sure the 'human' aspect of Nimrod is destroyed/gone is sus), but I'm more curious on Xavier and Magneto allowing her to continue to be resurrected at all, unless she's still somehow necessary from either Moira's past lives or Destiny's diaries/visions requiring her to live.

Last edited:

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Just heard about Inferno. Getting pretty excited to catch up to the saga towards the end of this year. I've been mostly reading this with the hardcovers and Marvel Unlimited. Read House/Powers when it was released in hardcover, then caught up with all the individual issues after through Marvel Unlimited before I picked up the X of Swords hardcover. Looking forward to doing the same when the Hellfire Gala hardcover is coming out. :)

If Inferno is the name of the next Hickman book, I hope its another 12 issue maxi like HoxPox. If it is an on-going, then I really dont want another book full of just one off issues again.
YES! I hope it's a limited series that gets compiled in a nice hardcover. My shelf feeds off this. :)

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Be real interesting if Moira, Destiny, and Mystique had a long chat in her last life. I'm guessing she already knew what she was going to do going in (given she had no way of stopping Nimrod coming online in that life). Lay the ground works for this life, Destiny knowing exactly what she'd do in the event she saw the whole precog ban coming. What she'd tell Mystique to do. The three of them planning out a long chess game spanning two lives that two of them would be entirely unaware they were playing.

What if, just like the Sentinels, there was really no way to ever stop a Nimrod from happening? But there was a way to have it come online on their terms? Too early and they're defenseless. Too late and they've gotten soft or fallen apart.

But what about just after their numbers have swelled to twenty million?
Oooooh interesting, a Nimrod appearing NOW could be the thing that helps unify Krakoa and Arrako (at least their mutant population).

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mmm I'm not sure that Marvel is just using Larraz's artwork because it rocks or if there is a hidden meaning.

I would not put to much into it honestly.

Xion385

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hi. Trying to get into this but overwhelmed on where to start. I saw a reading order online, but included all the tie-ins. Is there a reading order that people follow with the essential books or do I have to read the tie-ins, too?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
not much this week for me (where this thread is concerned at least)

Marauders #18 was pretty good, I liked them saving the humans and then dealing with the smugglers by dumping them in the desert, and there was a nice little moment with magneto and a human.

Cable #8 didnt do much for me, it actually annoyed me that Domino didnt help Nathan at all, and the clone stuff isnt doing it for me.

Next monday is X-Men #18 tho and that means it's finally time for Laura and the rest to come out of the vault.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Hi. Trying to get into this but overwhelmed on where to start. I saw a reading order online, but included all the tie-ins. Is there a reading order that people follow with the essential books or do I have to read the tie-ins, too?

just start with HoX/PoX and on the back of every issue it'll tell you what to read.

👆👆

Also you can skip Fallen Angels. The writer decided to fuck off to Hollywood. He also didn't understand most of the characters he was using, having stuff like Laura (Wolverine 2/X-23) being unsure of herself in a battle, young Cable not committing to what he needs to do l, etc etc.

The only parts of Dawn of X that really matter until you get to X of Swords is X-Men and Excalibur.

The reason for Excalibur's existence is to reintroduce the concept of mutants being tied to magic and to let Psylocke and Elizabeth Braddock be different characters.

After X of Swords, we'll none of know. We'll find out after the Gala.

Oh! And don't sleep on Hellions, Marauders and X-Factor. BEST BOOKS!

Xion385

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! I got MU so this will help a lot. I was never a big X-Men (I'm more Avengers). I'm big on Hickman though, seeing the hype in this thread made me want to read and so I'm hoping this my gateway to X-Men.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
The only book you definitely shouldn't read is Fallen Angels, it's actual trash. X-Men / Fantastic Four isnt very good either.

The rest all range from "good" to "fantastic"

standouts / must reads imo: Hickman's X-Men (no shit), Hellions, X-Factor, Marauders

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
lmao X and Mags have to be purposefully pushing Mystique to snapping at this point. I can't imagine they wouldn't see it coming, X's taunt at the end about Destiny, the "what about her?" Come on now. yes Mystique failed but he went full extra with it. They made her a council member so they already acknowledge how potentially dangerous she can be as enemy and obviously she's in Moira's crosshairs with her connection to Destiny.

If they get completely blindsided by Mystique at this point they deserve it.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Despite it being listed on the back and the inside cover, Dawn of X #16 doesn't contain X-Men #12. I assume that was a super late decision when someone realised it's in the X of Swords collection.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
The only book you definitely shouldn't read is Fallen Angels, it's actual trash. X-Men / Fantastic Four isnt very good either.

The rest all range from "good" to "fantastic"

standouts / must reads imo: Hickman's X-Men (no shit), Hellions, X-Factor, Marauders
Fallen Angels was so weird. I loved the focus on Kwannon at the time and the general plot was interesting. But fuck me what a waste of time that was.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
X-Factor bottom tier, my goodness... to each it's own and all I guess >_>
I even re-read the entire run this weekend just to be sure that I wasn't missing anything-and yeah, it didn't do a thing for me. It all feels like fan fiction to me. Compared to something like Hickman's core X-Men book-I much prefer that style.

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People sleeping on SWORD in this topic.
E2yz5v4WQAYw6fW

One red issue a week. Can't wait.

Oct 25, 2017
Sword is kind of weird because it feels more like an Ewing book than something that's consistent with the rest of the X-Men books, but Ewing fucking rules so whatever. Curious how the Sword/GOTG crossover goes over here

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
SWORD is the comic I was really excited for but quickly lost interest because it's just a tool for crossovers. Hell, it's first few issues were just crossover event issues.

I don't even know what it's about!

And really, it has no impact on anything krakoa related so I'm out

sven

Oct 31, 2017
My tiers would look like this......

X-Factor
Hellions
Marauders

X-Force
X-Men
New Mutants

Cable
Wolverine

SWORD
Excalibur

Oct 25, 2017
Hellions
Way of X
X-Factor

Marauders
Sword
X-Men
Cable

X-Force
Wolverine

New Mutants
X-Corp
Excalibur
Children of the Atom

Fallen Angels

Last edited:

sven

Oct 31, 2017
Can't wait to get to Way of X. I've heard only good things so far.

I should also point out my SWORD ranking is based on the small sample size of 2 issues.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Hellfire Gala feels really frontloaded, Way of X aside
Planet-sized X-Men is when the major shit will go down probably. That'll probably also be the exact point where Hickman hands over the X-men to Duggan, while the rest of the Gala issues should deal with the fallout from whatever major shit is going down and plotting a path towards Inferno.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
SWORD
Way of X
X-Men
Hellions

-The Far Shore-

Marauders
X-Factor
Cable

New Mutants
Wolverine
X-Force

Excalibur
Children of the Atom

The big 4 have obviously superior writers, to me. Take the names off and I can tell within a couple pages they really know what they're doing. Someone else said they didn't like SWORD's plot points and so it goes to the bottom of the pile, but honestly, regardless of storyline/characters that may cause my interest to dip I don't see any of the big 4 dipping below the other books; the style of writing is too strong. X-Men does miss sometimes, but I think it being a setup book sometimes means it doesn't always have the moving parts needed for a strong standalone narrative. But then Hickman breaks out something like that crazy Children of the Vault two-parter and reminds you why he's running the X-Desk.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Great trio of issues. This event is already much more entertaining than X of Swords, possibly because it has nothing to do with Excalibur's messy storytelling.

Sad to see Xavier calling Franklin human, since I was hoping the X-Office would ignore that retcon, but it's good to see Franklin and Kitty Kate are still besties.

I wish they'd published the reading order in last week's issues, though, or at the front of this week's. I ended up reading Hellions first, then at the end I saw it was supposed to be third.

Huncho

Jun 10, 2020
Tbh with an adult Franklin on Krakoa who can be a threat to the mutants ? Probably why they left him.