• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
They have spelled out why the ban is there.

X-Men-Comic-Mutants-Always-Lose.jpg
That's why Magneto and Xavier think the ban's in place. I'm not convinced the real reason isn't that Moira hates Destiny.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
They have spelled out why the ban is there.
Yeah that is pretty well laid out. I guess that's going to be Legion's arc - finding out why Blindfold's getting screwed and uncovering Krakoa's big lie.

My problem is this annoying cognitive dissonance when they say they're breaking all the rules, but also every precog confirms you lose. Like, which is it? Are Moira, Xavier, and Erik, doomed but vainly hoping against hope or does excluding precogs somehow lead to a plan that bypasses their predictions? I don't even need to know the plan - keep your secrets Hickman - I just want to know where they're coming from as characters so I can be more invested in the big picture. Maybe I'd be more scared of Legion/Mystique revealing the truth if I knew that the secrets are supposed to lead to a plan that's supposed to work.

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that is pretty well laid out. I guess that's going to be Legion's arc - finding out why Blindfold's getting screwed and uncovering Krakoa's big lie.

My problem is this annoying cognitive dissonance when they say they're breaking all the rules, but also every precog confirms you lose. Like, which is it? Are Moira, Xavier, and Erik, doomed but vainly hoping against hope or does excluding precogs somehow lead to a plan that bypasses their predictions? I don't even need to know the plan - keep your secrets Hickman - I just want to know where they're coming from as characters so I can be more invested in the big picture. Maybe I'd be more scared of Legion/Mystique revealing the truth if I knew that the secrets are supposed to lead to a plan that's supposed to work.

Moira, Xavier and Magneto are working from the knowledge that mutants failed in every one of Moira's previous lives. Destiny knew what was going on with Moira's reincarnations but even she has some limitations on how much she can see of the future. She can't give mutants a step by step guide to surviving the future or else she would have. Moira and Co. are hoping that this current Krakoa experiment is the united front that mutants need to break the cycle. They don't know for sure whether it'll ultimately succeed but in order for it to work they need all mutants on board. Destiny and other precogs spreading any kind of doubt would screw that up. The irony is that bringing in precogs might actually help them adjust and succeed in the long run but they've painted themselves into a corner. Krakoa as a mutant haven and nation is their Hail Mary pass.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I was thinking regular old Onslaught the sentient psionic being. I was not even aware of Red Onslaught until this conversation.

It's the most recent version of the character- and the whole "Red Skull with Xavier's Brain" story arc ran for quite a while through Uncanny Avengers before culminating in the AXIS linewide event.

I'd say it's at least as relevant an example as the O.G. Onslaught, which hasn't been seen since Onslaught Unleashed in 2011- which curiously wasn't an X-men event, but a Secret Avengers/Young Allies event.

Legion seems genuine and lucid for the moment and I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt. Frankly seeing the way Charles behaved when it came time to install his consciousness I wouldn't trust him with the knowledge of another being he might simply view as another of his shames and mistakes.
Thank goodness one can apparently live in the Astral Plane and download your memories yourself without Cerebro otherwise Legion wouldn't even have the chance to try be good. I'm curious if Onslaught would be capable of doing something similar being quite powerful himself.

Two things: Xavier's response to Legion is...very curious and out of character for him. I'm not sure if that's an issue with the writing here or if there's larger meaning. Legion has always had a complicated relationship with Xavier, but Xavier has never been outright afraid of him. His reluctance to bring Legion back is understandable though- since Legion is quite possibly the most powerful mutant that exists (next to X-man, who is MIA) but is also totally uncontrollable because his mind is impossibly fragmented and he's a ticking time bomb.

Something also to consider with the Patchwork Man issue- per Xavier the Patchwork Man is definitely an "Omega Mutant" but currently by Hickman's definition Xavier isn't in that list, so both versions of Onslaught (O.G. and Red Onslaught) shouldn't be either. I think that's DEFINITELY an oversight on Hickman's part and Xavier should absolutely, positively be there over both Quentin and Jean (though I get why having THREE Omega Level psychics would be a little redundant) but as it is, that sort of leans toward the Patchwork Man being something Orchis created from Legion, rather than the O.G. Onslaught coming back from god-knows-where after a decade and teaming up with them.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Oh god we don't have to talk about AXIS

AXIS may very well be the WORST crossover event Marvel has ever done (though King in Black was damned close) but ignoring it is impossible since that's the event that established that Wanda and Pietro weren't Magneto's kids.

Edit: speaking of Uncanny Avengers- remember when Exitar blew up the Earth and the mutants all survived by running off to their own planet with no explanation? Planet Size X-men has me thinking about that Mutant Planet again.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Moira, Xavier and Magneto are working from the knowledge that mutants failed in every one of Moira's previous lives. Destiny knew what was going on with Moira's reincarnations but even she has some limitations on how much she can see of the future. She can't give mutants a step by step guide to surviving the future or else she would have. Moira and Co. are hoping that this current Krakoa experiment is the united front that mutants need to break the cycle. They don't know for sure whether it'll ultimately succeed but in order for it to work they need all mutants on board. Destiny and other precogs spreading any kind of doubt would screw that up. The irony is that bringing in precogs might actually help them adjust and succeed in the long run but they've painted themselves into a corner. Krakoa as a mutant haven and nation is their Hail Mary pass.
Starting a blog that's critical of the Quiet Council is sowing doubt. Every precog in existence telling you you fail, is something else. Playing peek-a-boo with a baby doesn't actually remove the room. I just want to know they know that. That they aren't like Michael Caine in Interstellar - just hoping no one finds out they're full of shit before they die - but actually do have a plan to somehow bypass every prediction precogs see if they can only keep it quiet. That's all I want to know.

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
Starting a blog that's critical of the Quiet Council is sowing doubt. Every precog in existence telling you you fail, is something else. Playing peek-a-boo with a baby doesn't actually remove the room. I just want to know they know that. That they aren't like Michael Caine in Interstellar - just hoping no one finds out they're full of shit before they die - but actually do have a plan to somehow bypass every prediction precogs see if they can only keep it quiet. That's all I want to know.

I think they are like Michael Caine in Interstellar. They don't know for sure if this current Krakoan experiment will succeed, but at this point Moira believes she's run out of do-overs and this is the one thing they've haven't tried yet. It's not that all precogs would know whether Krakoa is destined to fail. Destiny wouldn't be able to see the entire timeline thousands of years into the future and definitely say whether it will work or not. But Moira doesn't want her (or anyone else) to sow any kind of doubt or even reveal to everyone how many times Moira has failed in the past.

From the panels posted above, Xavier and Magneto think everyone should know the truth, and I'd agree with them. Mutants have gone through some horrible shit. Like near-Genocidal events. If Moira told everyone, "This is what failed in the past but Krakoa is what we think will save us in the end. And even if it doesn't , we'll face that together and deal with it when the time comes. In the meantime, kick back and enjoy paradise", then most mutants would still probably go along with it.

I see Moira's "no precog" rule as a huge unforced error.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I think they are like Michael Caine in Interstellar. They don't know for sure if this current Krakoan experiment will succeed, but at this point Moira believes she's run out of do-overs and this is the one thing they've haven't tried yet. It's not that all precogs would know whether Krakoa is destined to fail. Destiny wouldn't be able to see the entire timeline thousands of years into the future and definitely say whether it will work or not. But Moira doesn't want her (or anyone else) to sow any kind of doubt or even reveal to everyone how many times Moira has failed in the past.

I'm on board with this interpretation. Moira also being 1.) alive and 2.) A mutant isn't common knowledge, and if it's known that Moira dying is what resets the timeline, then that's not something they want to broadcast. IIRC the Phalanx would have been able to intervene from outside of time IF they had become aware of what she was doing.

From the panels posted above, Xavier and Magneto think everyone should know the truth, and I'd agree with them

I'd disagree because of the above. You can't really keep a secret among a nation of several million, and Moira becoming a target is absolutely something that would happen if Orchis/etc became aware of what she is.

I see Moira's "no precog" rule as a huge unforced error.

It's been indicated that Moira is still hiding things from Xavier and we have an entire lifetime that hasn't been made public yet that likely has some bombshells in it. "No precogs" is likely less an unforced error than it is a deliberate attempt by Moira to keep the things she hasn't revealed to Xavier from becoming public yet.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Agreed.
My gut tells me that simply Moira hates Destiny and remembers what is to die slowly while being burned.
Moira was never a paragon of ethics and a saint.

Eh, I see this as being a bit simplistic. Yeah, dying sucked and her interaction with destiny wasn't good.

But destiny is just one precog- and made it clear that if Moira EVER intended to do something that ran counter to Destiny's interests at any point, she would simply eliminate her as a child and get rid of her before her powers kicked in. ONE precognitive mutant imposing that restriction is bad (and luckily for moira, all destiny wanted was for moira not to try to harm mutants as a race, instead of something more self serving) but navigating two such individuals with restrictions? three? ten? twenty?

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
To me, it's less the Onslaught name drop that makes it interesting to me, and it's more the actual story surrounding it that I think is a cool hook. Orchis modeling Krakoa's potential collapse from Haller's brain, and the Patchwork Man acting as a sort of devil vying for souls of mortals and the corruption of society. It neatly ties the superhero plot with the spiritual aspirations of the book.

Speaking of the downfall of Krakoa, Spurrier's hits on that again from a different angle by mentioning Blindfold's message. The precog ban is an important plot thread that's only really been touched on once in X-Men #6 with Mystique and Destiny. Since that and Xavier/Mags secrets are brought up so prominently here, I wonder if that's something we're finally getting addressed in Way of X. They've never spelled out exactly why the ban, but I think Blindfold's "inevitable" message goes along with what most of us were thinking. The theme of - we always lose - kind of goes along with Hickman's - everything dies - from Avengers an it's cosmic inevitability.

The other tidbit in this packed issue is Mag's hint about the Hellfire Gala. Omega mutants factor into what they're unveiling to the world there. Have they been able to form some sort of high powered mutant circuit between Omegas? Are they committing the Omega's to some specific cause? I wonder.

It's very likely at this point that Magneto is using the Omegas to create/terraform a planet for mutants (and there was a Planet X name dropped in House/Powers of X). I'm gonna guess Storm's next status quo is going to be as steward for said planet. Whether or not Krakoa, Arrako, or both end up there, I'm not sure (though I'm fairly confident Arrako will - all those warlike mutants are probably making Earth's heroes VERY nervous).

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
It's very likely at this point that Magneto is using the Omegas to create/terraform a planet for mutants (and there was a Planet X name dropped in House/Powers of X). I'm gonna guess Storm's next status quo is going to be as steward for said planet. Whether or not Krakoa, Arrako, or both end up there, I'm not sure (though I'm fairly confident Arrako will - all those warlike mutants are probably making Earth's heroes VERY nervous).

Storm's next status quo is going to be as part of the Black Panther book, so having her parked in space on Planet X probably isn't happening when there's writers/editors outside of the X-books making critical decisions on the character. That's likely why she was removed from marauders more than anything else.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
there is ZERO chance that the reason is "Moira doesnt like Destiny lol" with Hickman involved, come on...

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Storm's next status quo is going to be as part of the Black Panther book, so having her parked in space on Planet X probably isn't happening when there's writers/editors outside of the X-books making critical decisions on the character. That's likely why she was removed from marauders more than anything else.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Axis is the worst event I've ever read, easily

it's also the only even i've ever read I actually hate.

Last edited:

nitekrawler

Oct 28, 2017
Two things: Xavier's response to Legion is...very curious and out of character for him. I'm not sure if that's an issue with the writing here or if there's larger meaning. Legion has always had a complicated relationship with Xavier, but Xavier has never been outright afraid of him. His reluctance to bring Legion back is understandable though- since Legion is quite possibly the most powerful mutant that exists (next to X-man, who is MIA) but is also totally uncontrollable because his mind is impossibly fragmented and he's a ticking time bomb.

Something also to consider with the Patchwork Man issue- per Xavier the Patchwork Man is definitely an "Omega Mutant" but currently by Hickman's definition Xavier isn't in that list, so both versions of Onslaught (O.G. and Red Onslaught) shouldn't be either. I think that's DEFINITELY an oversight on Hickman's part and Xavier should absolutely, positively be there over both Quentin and Jean (though I get why having THREE Omega Level psychics would be a little redundant) but as it is, that sort of leans toward the Patchwork Man being something Orchis created from Legion, rather than the O.G. Onslaught coming back from god-knows-where after a decade and teaming up with them.

I can see why Xavier might be afraid. But on the other hand, I'm surprised he doesn't simply see Legion's value as an Omega. If there is any time to try to help Legion it would be now with the resources of a whole nation behind him. But Legion seems rather astute in his observation about people not seeing clearly when it comes to the heirs.

One-half of the mutants that OG Onslaught is born from is on the Omega Mutant list. Plus I couldn't imagine Onslaught being less than Omega. Though that may be in small part because of his association with others Omegas( franklin, X-man etc).

Harmonius

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's worth noting that per some speculation, Trial of Magneto is in fact a Limited Series given the Solicitations sent out marking issue #1 as #1(Of #5). Here's hoping X-Factor gets a new book after?

Edit: Also, per July's CotA Solicit, everyone can hopefully dump the book after Issue #6.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's been indicated that Moira is still hiding things from Xavier and we have an entire lifetime that hasn't been made public yet that likely has some bombshells in it. "No precogs" is likely less an unforced error than it is a deliberate attempt by Moira to keep the things she hasn't revealed to Xavier from becoming public yet.
Which one? All of her lifetimes were eventually accounted for in PoX, weren't they?

Or do you mean not public to the mutants but public to the readers?

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
She's writing Trial of Magneto which appears to be X-Factor focused, it's not like they kicked her to the curb. I also think it's obvious at this point X-Factor will be back, they just decided to put it on hold while Trial of Magneto runs and with Polaris leaving they're giving it a new #1 later in the year.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
We still don't know what happened with the time she sided with Apocalypse. That time line goes on for a while.

iXlrxqa.jpg
That was the PoX reveal, that the x3 timeline with the Librarian and the Phalanx was life 6 right?

Edit - Wait you mean the one with Apocalypse, life 9. That was the x2 timeline right? Wolverine downloads the Nimrod data into Moira and kills her.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We still don't know what happened with the time she sided with Apocalypse. That time line goes on for a while.

iXlrxqa.jpg
The Apocalypse life was X^2 in Powers of X. It ended with Wolverine feeding her the data on Nimrod's activation and then killing her.

That full timeline was shown at the end of PoX #3:

MoiraTimeline.jpg

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
She's writing Trial of Magneto which appears to be X-Factor focused, it's not like they kicked her to the curb. I also think it's obvious at this point X-Factor will be back, they just decided to put it on hold while Trial of Magneto runs and with Polaris leaving they're giving it a new #1 later in the year.
I hope it leads to a new #1 Leah Williams is a treasure

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way Williams doesn't keep a book after Trial of Magneto. They wouldn't hand her a major book like that to dump her afterward. And yeah, she's a treasure. Beyond his own writing strengths, I feel Hickman has done really good in assembling that team of writers and artists, and it's played a huge part in how terrific and exciting these two years have been. The whole line carries that genuine comic book excitement and energy on a scale that we pretty much never see.

As for Moira and precogs, I always understood it as the fact that Moira's very existence was their biggest asset and their most fatal flaw : without her ability, they'd never be able to navigate the threads of fate to shape a mutant history that doesn't end in tragedy, yet her death would probably mean the end of it all, so you'd want to hide her and her power. Since she's a blind spot to precogs, they're the ones most likely to find out about her, so you'd want to avoid them at all cost.

Still, this explanation is entirely unsatisfactory when you consider how untenable this approach is in the long run : someone will eventually find out about Moira, and she won't live forever anyway. So one way or another, the ban can't last forever, and they'll have to find a solution to the plan's dependency on Moira. I assume that's what Destiny's prediction about Moira's number of lives was all about. Moira will probably have an opportunity to take herself out of the game at some point, without erasing the time line.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Also I feel that Legion is a key to all this mess.
His antics kind of remind me of Age of X, and Legion is one of the few variables from a Moira lifetime standpoint.
There was no previous life with Legion and Proteus that we know of.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Did you look at the picture I posted? Bottom right corner? Lol

Hmm. I missed that and assumed it was 9.

But six not appearing at *all* on the chart even after that issue is bizarre.

edit: so we know how she dies in life 6, but nothing about any other event in that timeline. It's unaccounted for.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
What I find interesting is that it was essentially her "best run". I guess she needed to try other things earlier in the timeline in her subsequent three lives.

which is weird. So she finds out about the phalanx in life 6.

Tries to eliminate the sentinel program (and AI in general?) by killing the Trasks in life 7- fails when she finds a wild Master Mold facility that Trask didn't build.
Dies in a failed prison escape in life 8.
Says "fuck it, guess I'll try teaming up with Apocalypse" in Life 9, gets as far as acquiring origin files on Nimrod, commits suicide by wolverine.
Ten is the last ditch effort because life 11 is only a "possibility" per Destiny.