• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
On the Trial of Magneto: given how he responded to Cortez wanting to kill humans in S.W.O.R.D., I'm not going into the event with my base assumption being "he definitely killed someone," especially since we've got Mystique secretly angry at the council. Hell, Fabian Cortez could be helping her better emulate Magneto by boosting her powers somehow. Magneto being guilty just doesn't seem to flow with the way things have been building up, IMO. It seems way more likely to me that Magneto's innocent, but aspersions are cast on him during the trial rightly pointing out his past actions, and his incredulousness at all of that will lead to him starting to question Krakoa and develop into an issue down the line.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
On the Trial of Magneto: given how he responded to Cortez wanting to kill humans in S.W.O.R.D., I'm not going into the event with my base assumption being "he definitely killed someone," especially since we've got Mystique secretly angry at the council. Hell, Fabian Cortez could be helping her better emulate Magneto by boosting her powers somehow. Magneto being guilty just doesn't seem to flow with the way things have been building up, IMO. It seems way more likely to me that Magneto's innocent, but aspersions are cast on him during the trial rightly pointing out his past actions, and his incredulousness at all of that will lead to him starting to question Krakoa and develop into an issue down the line.

There's a bazillion psychics on that island though. No matter how boosted mystique is, she wouldn't be able to plant memories in Magneto's mind that aren't there.

And Mystique's powers even at the best of times can't emulate the abilities of other mutants (outside of really basic stuff like claws).

There's a distinct possibility that the title could be a play on words, with Magneto putting someone else on trial for murder though.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was just looking at my X of Swords HC, and on the part of variant covers there is this one:
x-of-swords-creation-1-brooks-wraparound.jpg

I know is foolish to rely on covers (even more ones done far before the event itself), but I found interesting to see that Cherub kid from Children of the Atom there.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I was just looking at my X of Swords HC, and on the part of variant covers there is this one:
x-of-swords-creation-1-brooks-wraparound.jpg

I know is foolish to rely on covers (even more ones done far before the event itself), but I found interesting to see that Cherub kid from Children of the Atom there.

Good catch.

Children of the Atom was originally supposed to have been out in April 2020 but pandemic related nonsense delayed it to March 2021.

So it's likely his role (whatever it was) was edited out.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Confirmed X-Factor is actually ending and that it was as much of a surprise to Leah as it was to us.

With this in mind, I'm super impressed by the wrapup to the Mojoverse/Morrigan plots, considering how rushed it had to be.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it's just the cynic in me, but all I can think of is "book was too queer for the average joe bob" :/

Oct 26, 2017

Confirmed X-Factor is actually ending and that it was as much of a surprise to Leah as it was to us.

With this in mind, I'm super impressed by the wrapup to the Mojoverse/Morrigan plots, considering how rushed it had to be.

That really sucks, as far as I know, the book wasn't selling badly so I wonder what the reasoning was.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Maybe it's just the cynic in me, but all I can think of is "book was too queer for the average joe bob" :/

I can't really see that one. None of the X-books are what you'd call "average Joe bob" books to begin with. This year's major event across the X-books is a ball, not a huge battle and X of Swords was even stranger. Doesn't seem like marvel is going for "average fan" with these and they are leaning into LGBT representation with upcoming content rather than shying away.

There's a ton of X-books right now with more coming. X-Factor seemed to be a candidate for the chopping block as soon as Polaris got yanked for X-Men.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
That really sucks, as far as I know, the book wasn't selling badly so I wonder what the reasoning was.
Maybe it gets folded into the trial of Magneto, Leah Williams is writing it and it would make sense if X-Factor did the investigation of whatever happened. They can do a new X-Factor book later, X-Men is starting with a new #1 too.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Maybe it gets folded into the trial of Magneto, Leah Williams is writing it and it would make sense if X-Factor did the investigation of whatever happened. They can do a new X-Factor book later, X-Men is starting with a new #1 too.

Yep. X-Factor is definitely central to Trial of Magneto, so that makes sense.

Cable is also ending with #12- i doubt X-Factor would have gone much farther than that. Marvel is not in love with long ongoings (spidey aside) lately.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. X-Factor is definitely central to Trial of Magneto, so that makes sense.

Cable is also ending with #12- i doubt X-Factor would have gone much farther than that. Marvel is not in love with long ongoings (spidey aside) lately.
Honestly, I wish Marvel would focus that feeling on something tedious and meandering like Excalibur rather than Cable or X-Factor.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
So I wanted to read house of X because it is supposed to be really good. Then, it turns out that basically all of Hickmans stuff in marvel is good and kinda tied together so I casually start reading his Fantastic Four run. Breh, this shit is off the wall bananas lmao

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So I wanted to read house of X because it is supposed to be really good. Then, it turns out that basically all of Hickmans stuff in marvel is good and kinda tied together so I casually start reading his Fantastic Four run. Breh, this shit is off the wall bananas lmao
Oh man, you are in for a ride.

Everything dies.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I finished Fantastic Four. That really went places. Pretty amazing how many things I thought were a payoff or a cool one off moment ended up being a setup for something else. On to his avengers stuff now.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
SWORD #3 - awesome Manifold centered issue. I'ts barely a KiB tie-in, just follows Mani around as he's getting shit done. I really liked this.

X-Force #17 - Also really liked this Quentin centered issue, clearly it's the Quentin-corpse(?) that was left in Russia that is fucking shit up right? Don't tell me.

Excalibur #18 - Betsy is emo after returning OR IS IT REALLY BETSY? I don't care Excalibur, I simply don't care if its her or not. Not even Psylocke showing up at the end of the issue made me care, and I love her in Hellions.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
No idea what just happened in Way of X but I'm still on board for another issue at least.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so into Way of X. I don't think I've been this excited about a series since Marauders started.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I'm so into Way of X. I don't think I've been this excited about a series since Marauders started.

I'm more curious than excited, but it seems to be doing interesting things to move the overall narrative along.

Orchis is an actual threat here using unconventional tactics to collapse Krakoan society

The narrative seems to explicitly be moving Kurt away from his judeo Christian spirituality (which...not to be offensive but is nonsensical in 616) into something else

Legion is getting some decent characterization after the atrocious Age of X-man

The "Onslaught" thing is confusing as hell though. And I'm not sure if they're going for cheap gags with the mutant with vomit inducing powers or if this is something else.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Way of X was amazing.
I love everyhitng on this book. And that cliffhanger left me speechless.

Wolverine was very very cool.
Death vs Dracula is something I didn't knew I needed on my life.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I'm glad Curse of the Mutants isn't being ignore and instead being mined for new plots.

Same with Way of X name dropping Onslaught. I'm actually excited to see what will be done.

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
Way of X didn't win me over with the first issue, but #2 sure did. Who knew I needed a Nightcrawler/Legion buddy book in my life? Si Spurrier obvi.

So excited for the gala!!!

nitekrawler

Oct 28, 2017
I feel as if Onslaught is really just serving to have us ponder more on the question of what constitutes a being/birth/life in the new Krakoan paradigm. Onslaught is a 'patchwork man' made of but not the same as Charles or Erik. Can Krakoa recognize that? Should they?

I like 'we' instead of 'me' as a part of The Way. The same with a favor for a favor. I love how hard they leaning into making villains into heroes in ways that still maintain their voice.

I love seeing Doop anywhere so that definitely got a smile out of me.

I find myself really enjoying Way of X even though I'm not enamored with the art.

It's good to see Death again and other Okkarans and Arrakoans slowly populate Krakoa.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I feel as if Onslaught is really just serving to have us ponder more on the question of what constitutes a being/birth/life in the new Krakoan paradigm. Onslaught is a 'patchwork man' made of but not the same as Charles or Erik.

I'm not even sure THAT'S true- "Red Onslaught" was a creation that resulted from Red Skull surgically fusing Xavier's brain to himself. As far as anyone can tell Red Onslaught didn't have magneto's abilities.

In theory cloning a powerful psychic like Xavier or Legion (or digging up an old body) and creating a composite entity from ANYONE sufficiently shitty would work, "patchwork man" Onslaught could be literally anything using that reasoning, and Legion doesn't know how he ended up in the facility to begin with. That the brain they found might have been cloned is a possibility and David says as much.

Can Krakoa recognize that? Should they?

Can't see why they would. Red Onslaught was an abomination. Patchwork man is probably more of the same. They'd destroy it for the same reason Goblin Queen is still dead.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
Don't you just hate it when you're reading a big event (XoS) on MU and you forget to download an issue? :(

Now I'm stuck at work and can't move forward until I get home and read New Mutants #13. It's times like these I wish my iPad had a cellular connection.

might try running to Buffalo Wild Wingsto use their WiFi on my dinner break.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Don't you just hate it when you're reading a big event (XoS) on MU and you forget to download an issue? :(

Now I'm stuck at work and can't move forward until I get home and read New Mutants #13. It's times like these I wish my iPad had a cellular connection.

might try running to Buffalo Wild Wingsto use their WiFi on my dinner break.

I read a lot of these on my phone. With guided view (does MU use this?) the size isn't a big deal.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm already filled with sorrow Cos You know Bad shit is going to happen to that Lost mutant.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Way of X had me shook. Marvel vs Capcom is the only reason why I care, but still. The fact that it's coming up has me hyped.

nitekrawler

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not even sure THAT'S true- "Red Onslaught" was a creation that resulted from Red Skull surgically fusing Xavier's brain to himself. As far as anyone can tell Red Onslaught didn't have magneto's abilities.

In theory cloning a powerful psychic like Xavier or Legion (or digging up an old body) and creating a composite entity from ANYONE sufficiently shitty would work, "patchwork man" Onslaught could be literally anything using that reasoning, and Legion doesn't know how he ended up in the facility to begin with. That the brain they found might have been cloned is a possibility and David says as much.

I was thinking regular old Onslaught the sentient psionic being. I was not even aware of Red Onslaught until this conversation.

Legion seems genuine and lucid for the moment and I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt. Frankly seeing the way Charles behaved when it came time to install his consciousness I wouldn't trust him with the knowledge of another being he might simply view as another of his shames and mistakes.

Thank goodness one can apparently live in the Astral Plane and download your memories yourself without Cerebro otherwise Legion wouldn't even have the chance to try be good. I'm curious if Onslaught would be capable of doing something similar being quite powerful himself.

I'm really happy Kurt is still on the council. It needs a heart to balance all that ruthless pragmatism and hubris.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking regular old Onslaught the sentient psionic being. I was not even aware of Red Onslaught until this conversation.

Legion seems genuine and lucid for the moment and I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt. Frankly seeing the way Charles behaved when it came time to install his consciousness I wouldn't trust him with the knowledge of another being he might simply view as another of his shames and mistakes.

Thank goodness one can apparently live in the Astral Plane and download your memories yourself without Cerebro otherwise Legion wouldn't even have the chance to try be good. I'm curious if Onslaught would be capable of doing something similar being quite powerful himself.

I'm really happy Kurt is still on the council. It needs a heart to balance all that ruthless pragmatism and hubris.
Any sufficiently powerful telepath should be able to do it. I wouldn't be surprised if Goblyn Queen ends up doing it the next time Jean dies.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
To me, it's less the Onslaught name drop that makes it interesting to me, and it's more the actual story surrounding it that I think is a cool hook. Orchis modeling Krakoa's potential collapse from Haller's brain, and the Patchwork Man acting as a sort of devil vying for souls of mortals and the corruption of society. It neatly ties the superhero plot with the spiritual aspirations of the book.

Speaking of the downfall of Krakoa, Spurrier's hits on that again from a different angle by mentioning Blindfold's message. The precog ban is an important plot thread that's only really been touched on once in X-Men #6 with Mystique and Destiny. Since that and Xavier/Mags secrets are brought up so prominently here, I wonder if that's something we're finally getting addressed in Way of X. They've never spelled out exactly why the ban, but I think Blindfold's "inevitable" message goes along with what most of us were thinking. The theme of - we always lose - kind of goes along with Hickman's - everything dies - from Avengers an it's cosmic inevitability.

The other tidbit in this packed issue is Mag's hint about the Hellfire Gala. Omega mutants factor into what they're unveiling to the world there. Have they been able to form some sort of high powered mutant circuit between Omegas? Are they committing the Omega's to some specific cause? I wonder.

Oct 26, 2017
To me, it's less the Onslaught name drop that makes it interesting to me, and it's more the actual story surrounding it that I think is a cool hook. Orchis modeling Krakoa's potential collapse from Haller's brain, and the Patchwork Man acting as a sort of devil vying for souls of mortals and the corruption of society. It neatly ties the superhero plot with the spiritual aspirations of the book.

Speaking of the downfall of Krakoa, Spurrier's hits on that again from a different angle by mentioning Blindfold's message. The precog ban is an important plot thread that's only really been touched on once in X-Men #6 with Mystique and Destiny. Since that and Xavier/Mags secrets are brought up so prominently here, I wonder if that's something we're finally getting addressed in Way of X. They've never spelled out exactly why the ban, but I think Blindfold's "inevitable" message goes along with what most of us were thinking. The theme of - we always lose - kind of goes along with Hickman's - everything dies - from Avengers an it's cosmic inevitability.

The other tidbit in this packed issue is Mag's hint about the Hellfire Gala. Omega mutants factor into what they're unveiling to the world there. Have they been able to form some sort of high powered mutant circuit between Omegas? Are they committing the Omega's to some specific cause? I wonder.

They have spelled out why the ban is there.

X-Men-Comic-Mutants-Always-Lose.jpg

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Between Emma taunting Mags and X in Marauders AND Legion in yesterday's Way of X, I think shit is going to hit the fan regarding the Moira secret soon. Probably in some way during the gala.

It's only a matter of time with an omega precog in Arrako's council.