• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Marauders #11
- Oh nvm they figure out why Kitty couldn't ressurect (silly reason with her phasing powers but ok) so she's back lol.
Yeah, that was really deflating for me. I hate all that build up for no clever pay off, no stakes. Makes me less likely to be invested when similar things are teased in the future, hypothetically.

The best part of Empyre were the unrelated X-Men tie-ins. I love how the focus of the first Empyre X-Men issue stayed just on Vulcan as a character and the Cotati were just minorly related - in that Vulcan casually nukes them off the moon. Get back to your awful Event issues you low rent Groot wannabes.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that was really deflating for me. I hate all that build up for no clever pay off, no stakes. Makes me less likely to be invested when similar things are teased in the future, hypothetically.

The best part of Empyre were the unrelated X-Men tie-ins. I love how the focus of the first Empyre X-Men issue stayed just on Vulcan as a character and the Cotati were just minorly related - in that Vulcan casually nukes them off the moon. Get back to your awful Event issues you low rent Groot wannabes.

X-Men-011-021-scaled-e1598514218902.jpg

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This week's Marauders was a fantastic sendoff for Storm. I haven't agreed with everything that's been done with her in the last couple of years, but this was a masterful tribute to an incredible character.
(I just wish the vignettes were more characteristic of the actual Marauders run, because this kind of thing is exactly why I signed up for the series.)

Hellions is still 100% Hellions 100% of the time, and that's glorious. I think I have to read it again to process what happened.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
even tho it's not listed with the rest of the Dawn of X books (but X-Men #10 and #11 which are Empyre tie ins are), I went ahead and read Empyre: X-Men 1-4 back to back, and I'm super glad I did as it was just a ton of fun:

- Oh whats that PRETENDER you're fucking things up for mutants again? You raised an army of mutant zombies in Genosha. Goob job lady, good job.
- Love how much shit Strange gives her for it too.
- Alien Plants vs Mutant Zombies
- oh I'm sorry I meant Alien Plants vs Mutant Zombies vs Old Ladies
- Magik is a badass and I love her.
- Great to see Hordeculture back, they are a fun bunch. Great interactions with the X-peeps since they are forced to cooperate.
- Love that Magneto only let angel pick one more X person to help in the mission, so he picked Madrox. Smart :p
- Jamie actually has a bunch of cool moments in the whole series.
- Magik is a super badass and I love her.
- These plant guys seem like the worst event enemy ever, in the sense they are total pushovers. They got their asses whooped in the moon and they got their asses whooped here.
- Legit touching moment with the zombie youngman and his ressurected Krakoan version at the end.
- Magik is a mega super badass and I love her.

This was really good, in a way I highly doubt the rest of the event was (especially since I doubt it was as lighthearted and funny as this one)

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
even tho it's not listed with the rest of the Dawn of X books (but X-Men #10 and #11 which are Empyre tie ins are), I went ahead and read Empyre: X-Men 1-4 back to back, and I'm super glad I did as it was just a ton of fun:

- Oh whats that PRETENDER you're fucking things up for mutants again? You raised an army of mutant zombies in Genosha. Goob job lady, good job.
- Love how much shit Strange gives her for it too.
- Alien Plants vs Mutant Zombies
- oh I'm sorry I meant Alien Plants vs Mutant Zombies vs Old Ladies
- Magik is a badass and I love her.
- Great to see Hordeculture back, they are a fun bunch. Great interactions with the X-peeps since they are forced to cooperate.
- Love that Magneto only let angel pick one more X person to help in the mission, so he picked Madrox. Smart :p
- Jamie actually has a bunch of cool moments in the whole series.
- Magik is a super badass and I love her.
- These plant guys seem like the worst event enemy ever, in the sense they are total pushovers. They got their asses whooped in the moon and they got their asses whooped here.
- Legit touching moment with the zombie youngman and his ressurected Krakoan version at the end.
- Magik is a mega super badass and I love her.

This was really good, in a way I highly doubt the rest of the event was (especially since I doubt it was as lighthearted and funny as this one)
The X-Men book was definitely the highlight of that whole event. It was very much "let's use this event as an excuse to tell a short fun X-Men story", only really paying lip service to the event itself.

I like that Wanda actually tried to fix what she did, even if the results were...unfortunate.

Also, having two fully legitimate versions of Explodey Boy at the same time, and what that means for the resurrection, is something I really hope comes up in Way of X.
(My standpoint towards resurrection is still "it's cloning but rebranded to maintain a nation of extremely tenuous alliances". Which isn't a bad thing, but I enjoy anything that vindicates that theory.)

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Cable #3

- Instead of fighting the Space Knights who want to terraform the planet, Cable makes a deal with them to send them back in time so they can save their own planet. The problem is, he needs old Cable's body, which was taken by an old friend.
- Deadpool is "king of staten island" apparently... well ok then.
- Just a slow but funny issue mostly as a vehicle for deadpool and kid cable jabs.
- I liked the letter they show of Cable asking Deadpool to retrieve his body in case he died, if only to show Deadpool didn't just randomly do it because he's crazy or something. Book continues to be a pleasant surprise.

Wolverine #4

- noooooooooo Kubert is gone (I do like the new artist tho, has a rough style that fits Wolverine)
- this one feels more like a solo book, as Logan gets away from all the Krakoa stuff into a remote little bar.
- of course shit follows him everywhere and turns out the patrons are all part of a support group of people taht directly or indirectly had their lives fucked with by Logan or other mutants.
- They manage to capture Wolverine, unfortunately that is bad for them since Omega Red and his new vamprie buddies have come to collect.

Hellions #3

- This book is all sorts of fucked up in the best way
- Havok mind controlled by Maddie, Scalphunter captured, Nanny and Orphan Maker getting the shit beat out of them and Psylocke having to deal with a feral Wildchild, and a bunch of hungry Marauder zombies...this mission isn't going very well.
- DAMN Psylocke fucks Wildchild up.
- Havok slashing his mouth open was nasty.

New Mutants #12

- Magik, Glob and Mirage take care of the racist Dox website, while in Brazil the monster lady continues to lay waste searching for who killed "her babies".
- The whole Dox thing is cool since unfortunately it hits a litle too close to home (and by home I mean real life).
- Nice moment with Glob and Magik as glob talks about his past.
- Bit of a slow issue (apart from the dox stuff), mostly setup for the eventual confrontation with the warwolf lady.

The upcoming issues pages around this release time list a Juggernaut series, but it's not part of Dawn of X on MU, so should I even read it? Does it have anything to do with the greater Hickman stuff?

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
I didn't find Juggernaut interesting at all and the story has nothing to do with any of the X-Men stories.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
fuck I forgot X-Factor #2 in the august releases, and I loved issue 1

X-Factor #2

- goddamn I love this art so much. and as much as I liked the civies look in isue, I gotta say these costume they are rocking are DOPE.
- Aurora coming back from the dead and just being generally disoriented and getting to know the new base (along with amazing Baby) is super cute.
- Oh shit Mojoverse? I'm very down with this. Funny take on our current "streamer" era too.
- I am absolutely loving Rachel in this. And Lorna too. fuck I love all the characters. Lol at Daken getting downvoted for lewdness.
- Where's my girl Spiral tho? And Longshot. Can't have Mojoverse without them.
- I love this book, which can only mean it's probably already cancelled.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
fuck I forgot X-Factor #2 in the august releases, and I loved issue 1

X-Factor #2

- goddamn I love this art so much. and as much as I liked the civies look in isue, I gotta say these costume they are rocking are DOPE.
- Aurora coming back from the dead and just being generally disoriented and getting to know the new base (along with amazing Baby) is super cute.
- Oh shit Mojoverse? I'm very down with this. Funny take on our current "streamer" era too.
- I am absolutely loving Rachel in this. And Lorna too. fuck I love all the characters. Lol at Daken getting downvoted for lewdness.
- Where's my girl Spiral tho? And Longshot. Can't have Mojoverse without them.
- I love this book, which can only mean it's probably already cancelled.
X-Factor is my favorite book right now and Leah Williams is an awesome writer with an excellent style. She captures the voices of the characters really well, while also being able to put her own spin on them.

I too adore the art and feel like it fits perfectly with the tone of the book.

Unfortunately due to the X-Men election, we are losing Polaris.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
what bullshit is this? election?

fuck the X-Men.
More like fuck the fans as it was an actual online vote. Out of all the characters that had on the online poll though she was the most likely winner from the beginning since her profile has been raised a lot thanks to the Gifted show.

But Leah Williams has stated that she was the one who put up hilarious to be a X-Man so I'm sure she has plans on what to do without her.

Besides Polaris deserves it, she's paid her dues she deserves to be a full X-Man again.

Oct 25, 2017
X-Factor has kind of a weird reception here where people either love it or hate it

Although we all know the people who love it are correct

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Cable #4

- Nathan and Esme are cute together. Also cute, Emma acting as a mom.
- So it seems old man Cable knew kid Cable would kill him and this was all preordained, interesting.
- Poor Space Knights get duped and nuked, bit harsh.
- Next up, X of Swords.

Wolverine #5

- You know what, this new artist is actually really good.
- Icecube Wolverine is saved by three kid vampires, who tell him about Dracula and his vampires ravaging town after town in Canada.
- They meet up with the two vampires in the last remaining town. Kids get killed in what was actually a big bummer tbh.
- Two bad vampires get taken out but not before the lady vampire warns Logan a big vampire war is coming, so that's exciting for the future. And before we are done, Wolverine gets yonked away to X of Swords I guess.
- I really liked this issue, this whole vampire business could be cool down the line.

Marauders #12

I'ma just say this now and drop it, but I don't like how they handled the whole Kitty mystery thing, or rather, didn't handle. Between the lame "her phasing powers prevented her from ressurecting" last issue and completely ignoring the fact that she couldnt even get past the Krakoan gates before, this whole thing feels like Duggan had a idea or plan, but couldnt go through with it and just dropped it, which feels like a rare misstep for him. Anyway...

- Kitty is back and fully takes on her Red Queen role. I continue to love her and Emma's relationship.
- Cute "welcome home" style party with lots of familiar faces. Magik in particular gets the best welcome.
- Seems they will play along with Shaw for now, surely not for long tho I imagive given that...
- KILL SHAW. Well ok then.

X-Force #12

- Oh that big ass russian dude at the end of last issue was Colossus' brother Mikhail.
- Quentin isnt actually dead it seems and is captured by Mikail, who seems to join forced with the Xeno guys.
- In Krakoa Beast wants to ask Colossus some questions about his brother and the attack last issue, and he goes about it in the WORST WAY POSSIBLE. Beast is kind of a dick isnt he?
- Quentin is gonna get the Domino treatment from Xeno so that sucks.
- Seems we need to press pause of this arc for now tho because up next, as with the other books, is X of Swords.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Yup. Since the Hickman reboot, you don't travel down alternate history lines anymore.

Yes and no.

This goes back to Age of Ultron, it's not a hickman thing. Time travel in 616 doesn't split off alternate timelines anymore, but it does create "potential" futures that may or may not come to pass. If you recall the whole issue around the 05 "do we go back or don't we" thing it leaned heavily on that. The 05 not going back resulted in an apocalyptic future that was deleted when Kid Cable sent them back.

In the "old" status quo it would still exist as an alternate dimension that could be traveled to- in the "current" status quo it's been eliminated and no longer exists as a possibility.

Cyclops and Kid Cable are getting into an argument in the latest issue of Cable for this reason. Cable wants to go back to stop Stryfe who it seems is thriving in his absence, but Cyclops doesn't want to send Cable back to "his" future because that future sucks and they are currently working on the Krakoa thing to prevent it from happening in the first place.

If I'm interpreting the end of that issue correctly, it looks like Cyclops won that argument, since the "old" Cable that's been popping up at the end of the last few issues isn't the "old man" but instead an older version of Kid Cable.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hellions #11:
Will anyone bring me my Shentrifugesh!
You can't help but see how will things go south with Sinister, yet it is such a fun ride!
What a fun book this is. Confirm?

Still need to read today's Marauders and Children of the Atom.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Hellions #11:
Will anyone bring me my Shentrifugesh!
You can't help but see how will things go south with Sinister, yet it is such a fun ride!
What a fun book this is. Confirm?

Still need to read today's Marauders and Children of the Atom.

I saw in an upcoming solicit that the Sinister that got sliced to pieces on Arakko by Tarn the Uncaring is coming back and won't be pleased

everything is coming up Sinister

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Finally got to read Marauders!

Shaw spoke of Lourdes, she hasn't been mentioned since X-Men The Hellfire Club in 2000!!!!

His actual true love! Her death is much of the reason he is as brutal and evil as he is. The Shaw fan in me just squeed!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Giant Sized X-Men: Storm #1

- Direct follow up to the Fantomex issue, as he takes Storm, Monet and Doug (and that AIM guy lol) inside The World to fix Storm.
- Great writing in this one, with lots of witty dialogue from Monet, Fantomex and the AIM guy (Ned is it?). I love how Doug is in so many books.
- After some more World-style craziness, they manage to fix Storm so I guess that techno-virus wasn't some future big arc afterall...
- ...or maybe it still will be since the remnants of the virus are contained in the World and Doug notices it's a sentient being. Fantomex also stays behind having failed to convince his clone to leave.

Hellions #4

- Psylocke's fight with Wildchild last issue gave her... a boob window. Come on Marvel...
- Anyway Kwannon and Wildchild come to save the team from the Marauder clone zombies, while Maddie tries to summon her demons with some dark magic using Alex.
- Except it seems Alex isnt actually under her control, he's just legit batshit crazy these days.
- Scalphunter sends Psylocke and the others to destroy Sinister's clone mainframe and says he has to stay behind to deal with his fellow Marauders. And by deal with, he means execute, which he does to all of them, including Maddie.
- Alex goes crazy when Maddie dies and we are reminded how powerful he actually is. So, why is he batshit crazy these days anyway?
- First mission is deemed a success (minus a dead Empath), and the Quiet Council refuses to ressurect Madelyne Pryor for Havoc.
- Next up, X of Swords!

X-Factor #3

- Mojoverse adventures continue, with Spiral popping up as a big time Twitch...err MojoTV streamer.
- They find out the dead mutant was killed on a live stream, which is pretty fucked up and quite popular over there.
- Shatterstar shows up in a gladiator-style stream, and apparently he's the top streamer around here, and he couldn't be happier. Except he's obvious a slave and in reality needs help.
- The team leave with the dead mutant's body for now, vouching to return for Shatterstar.
- There's a little interlude at the end leading up to X of Swords.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
X-Factor 2 and 3 were some of my favorites but that's because I'm a sucker for all things Mojoverse. I even own the entire Longshot limited series that first introduced Longshot, Mojo, "Ricochet" Rita, Spiral and Major Domo.

Fun fact: Longshot, Mojo, Major Domo and Spiral are all omniversal entities. Their is only one Mojoverse and it is connected to every part of the multiverse.

Second Fun Fact that even writers forget: Mojo is basically anti-life personified. In his own dimension it doesn't matter, the universe is basically dead and ruled by Mojo and his kind. But if he comes to Earth or the like, vegetation and small animals will literally die in his presence.

Third fun fact: For a long time Betsy Braddock had cybernetic eyes given to her by Spiral that broadcasted all of the X-Men adventures to Mojoverse.

Last fun Fact: Longshot and others are regularly mind wiped and thrown into other universes to film programming. It's why Longshot didn't remember who he was or the events of the Longshot miniseries.

I love Mojo and the Mojoverse so much!!!!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Excalibur #12

- Apocalypse heavy issue, as we are full steam ahead to X of Swords. Apoc summons his fellow Externals because he needs their life force (well, their bones at least, as shown previously in Excalibur when Rictor was salvaging those bones to extract the magic) to complete his ritual. Suffice to say, they ain't too happy about that, well, at least most of them.
- With a relunctant Rictor's help (a powered up Rictor at that), Apoc manages to subdue and kill the externals he needed to complete the ritual, except Candra, who hid her soul in that red gem Gambit picked up last issue.
- Speaking of, while Betsy tries to convince the Citadel queen she is a legit Captain Britain, Rogue and Gambit get back from their thieving escapade, with Candra teasing Gambit from the red gem and telling him not to let Apoc have it and complete the ritual.
- In the end tho, Gambit has to choose between the devil he's teaming with and the devil that fucked him and rogue over in the past, and he gives Apoc the red gem, and thus Candra's soul, to complete the ritual and open the gateway to Otherworld and... X of Swords.

X-Men #12

- ok, so this was the most "Hickman issue" yet in this entire reboot, by far. I had to read it twice back to back, AND check out some videos to see if I had understood all, because he throws a lot of lore at you all of a sudden. So, as far as I understand:
- back when good ol' Apoc and his fellow warriors sundered Krakoa and Arrako in two seperating them defending the earth from hordes of demons or whatever it was, the Arakko mutants were transported to Amenth (another planet? another dimension? HICKMAAAAN) and Apoc stayed behind to seal the gate (as Summoner himself narrates, some see this as act of heroism, some of treason).
- these Arrako mutants (now in Amenth) create their own mutant society over thousands of years, nicely mirrored with Krakoa with that scene that looks like their version of the Quiet Council, and upon seeing a premonition of doom, they set out an army to defend their society (again, not unlike what the X-Men are doing).
- their leader is Genesis, Apocalypse's wife (well, ex-wife) and I guess Summoner's grandma, since he called Apoc "grandfather" and she leads the mutant army on Amenth. Their war continues until they meet a Apocalypse-looking super powerful mutant External (White Sword I think was the name?), who had been warring with the Amenth demons and can ressurect his army every day, which eventually drove him mad and he didn't distinguish friend from foe and the Arakko mutants were the same fodder for him as the demons.
- Eventually Genesis and a few survivors return home (how nobody knows, this is specifically stated), only to find they had been betrayed by one of their own (in a funny bit of writting, betrayed by a mutant with the power to never lose, and since they would lose against the Amenth demons, she flipped sides because, well, she can't lose lol).
- Isca (the traitor) was sent to parlay with Genesis and setup a meeting with Annihilation, the Amenth demon god. They fought and Genesis lost, and Summoner claims she was killed and buried by Annihilation.
- With Genesis fallen, the Amenth demons overwhelm and take Arrako. In the hopes that Apocalypse had risen a great mutant army himself (and what do you know, we just happen to have a big mutant army in Krakoa these days), Summoner was sent to retrieve him as the only hope of saving Arrako.
- My head hurts.

And with that, Dawn of X is complete. I'll start X of Swords tomorrow, I do like that SEEMINGLY at least all this Apocalypse machination was ultimately to save, well... more mutants, and for now he seems to continue to have good intentions.

And lastly, a little tier list of my favorite Dawn of X books. I have weird tastes so without thinking too much into it I would say:

S tier: X-Men, Hellions, X-Factor
A tier: Marauders, X-Force
B tier: New Mutants, Cable, Wolverine, Excalibur, the Giant-Sized issues
C tier: X-Men/FF
D tier: Fallen Angels

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
*applause*

Welcome to the family. X of Swords is the type of ride that you will never expect, but I expect that Excalibur will move up that tier slot when your done.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
*applause*

Welcome to the family. X of Swords is the type of ride that you will never expect, but I expect that Excalibur will move up that tier slot when your done.

I might be being too harsh on Excalibur tbh, it's probably more like B tier with the others, leaving Xmen/FF alone which was...ok-ish, and then Fallen Angel below which is the only I actively disliked. In fact, let me change it, because the fact that the whole book was leading to X of Swords alone makes it better in retrospect.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I actually, somehow, know nothing about X of Swords, is it just "event good" or is it "hickman good"?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
fuck it

X of Swords Creation #1

- Ok right off the bat, this art is fantastic. loving the OG 4 horsemen designs.
- the way they are so glib in the midst of battle is funny.
- I forgot to mention in X-Men #12 but Summoner is clearly a little backstabbing fucker I'm 99.9% sure of it.
- love Apocalypse going to the council and they shitting on his plans and wanting to destroy the gate, and Krakoa going "yeah...no".
- love the ragtag random ass team they assemble, re-enforcing the idea that there's not really teams now, there's just mutants.
- crying Apocalypse is not something I expected. Backstabbing Summoner IS something I expected. How did you not see that coming Apoc, come on man.
- Fuck me Rockslide got jacked. Wonder if the emphasis on showing his energy form was also cut in half and in xmen 12 they had the conversation about weeknesses if that will make ressurrection a problem.
- Rictor got a arrow in the knee...err I mean in the gut, Apoc got skewered, this is not going well fam.
- Monet with the badass moment with Saturnyne, and then of course Saturnyne with the utimate badass moment. Damn she's powerful.
- D'aww look at the cute little Horseman.
- It's interesting that there is so much precog stuff from Saturnyne here, since precog stuff is such a no-no in Krakoa.
- I love the intercuts of the battle stuff with Jean, Cyke and Cable going off into the motherfucking SWORD base aw yeah.
- Hell of a start to this, didn't even feel like a 66 page issue.

ok now I need to sleep for realsies lol

sven

Oct 31, 2017
They definitely have cohesion problems. It's up there with Excalibur in terms of, we're informed that they're a team but we don't really see them being a team.

I will say, though, I've liked the recent Quentin-focused issues far more than the ones which actually star X-Force, and I've never liked Quentin up to this point.
But Wolverine and Beast have negative appeal for me, so it was nice to have a focus on other people, and to have Jean back briefly.