• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
X-Men Legends #3 was very retro, and that is not a compliment.

Cable was cool, I liked it, I enjoy seeing Arakko denizens being at least acknowledged.
New Mutants. Gaby rocks so much. This was a sweet issue, I like when characters act like adults. Also, very good cliffhanger.

Oct 26, 2017
New Mutants felt dense in a really good way, lots happened and there was just enough focus on the various storylines, really good issue.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Xmen Gala Guide was supposed to be out today, do they update stuff throughout the day?

https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/94634/hellfire_gala_guide_2021_1
What?

Oh yes there it is... let me see...
Some comments on the ones I hadn't seen.

Mastermind looks great.
Selene channeling that goth style, not my favorite.
Madrox looks terrible.
Sunspot, Bobby what are you doing? you have more money than god, dress properly, not on some rag you found lying around.
Everyone has a man-crush on Colossus now.
Polaris, I get the idea they are going for (magnetic fields) but I need to see it better for a proper opinion.
Northstar and Aurora a bit boring.
Daken goes barefoot hahaha, ok.
Prodigy dressing like a butterfly could work, maybe.
Kyle looks a bit better than his husband.
Eyeboy always is a mess, but a dedicated mess.
Dazzler looks cool, this could be her normal costume from now on that I won't mind.
Loa looks weird but funny.
Mercury is naked right? that daring girl is going naked to a gala.
Karma looks horrible.
Moonstar going for the valkyrie look (makes sense in context).
Warlock wins by default, love the hair and bowtie hahahaha.
Magik could do worse, to be honest.
Warpath looks like a SFV character (this is an insult).
Magneto is the Master of Bling now.
Frenzy looks great!
Wiz Kid is great, love the touch of lipstick, he looks a bit like Elton John.
Khora (who?) looks fine, I guess.
Manifold could lose the shoulderpads, but other than that, he looks great.
Gambit somehow works.
Jubilee looks beautiful.
Jaime Braddock will be monochromatic or someone forgot to paint him?
Meggan is a literal fairy.
Rictor is just wearing a pajama, he could have dressed as Apocalypse for fun.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Cable #1

- I was ready to hate this judging from my reaction to kid Cable in the other books he's been in, but I guess I should have trusted Duggan because this was fine.
- cool stuff with the introduction of that arena thing (not crucible, the non-lethal one), Cable is nowhere as obnoxious as he was in the previous books (still plenty obnoxious tho), there's a cute little "thorn in the lion's paw" style sequence, Space Knight (s) introduced and a old Cable tease at the end for a very entertaining first issue.
- Man Armor is everywhere in this Hickman era huh?
- Great art by Phil Noto also.

New Mutants #9

- Seems Hickman is off the book, but it was still a fun issue. Everyone is back on earth so there's no real focus on any of the two seperate groups anymore, at least not so far.
- Great scene with Magik and Cyclops, and Magik being a badass defending her teammates' actions with the drug dealers. Really wish she dropped the stripper costume tho :/
- Team goes on a mission to Russia (clandestine mission? not clear) to save a young mutant that can't control her powers. The mutant's reality altering powers are really cool (and creepy) visual, the artist is great.
- The whole thing goes sideways (of course) leading to a last minute appearance of Wildside (now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time).

Excalibur #9

- Coven stuff continues as they have to go to some place called Starlight Citadel, and once again as is often the case with this book, that means nothing to me as I never read most (any?) of the Excalibur series.
- Some cool spy stuff with Pete and Mehgan spying on the Akkaba cult. And some cool stuff with Jubilee going nuclear (figuratively and literally) when Shogo is hurt by an attack and she displays more explosive power than I've ever seen her use. Don't mess with a mom's baby I guess.
- Rogue and Gambit's thing continues to do nothing for me, which makes me sad as I was always a huge Rogue X Gambit fanboy since way back when. Not so sure I want to read that Mr. and Mrs. X series now tbh.

Also, why were all the X-books taking 2, 3, even 4 months off at this point anyway? I'm reading this all by release date and I noticed it in the next issues release dates.

Oct 25, 2017
Mr and Mrs. X is great btw but yeah they kinda sidelined Rogue and Gambit so far, not much from either even though it seemed at least Rogue would have a big role in Excalibur at the start.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Also, why were all the X-books taking 2, 3, even 4 months off at this point anyway? I'm reading this all by release date and I noticed it in the next issues release dates.
Because Diamond Comics decided to be an even more POS company than usual and stopped distributing comics because of the pandemic, keeping goods that had been delivered in their warehouse without paying the publishers and leaving them and all LCS hanging. This is the reason why both DC and Marvel have decided to ditch them, I really hope Diamond goes out of business soon.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Because Diamond Comics decided to be an even more POS company than usual and stopped distributing comics because of the pandemic, keeping goods that had been delivered in their warehouse without paying the publishers and leaving them and all LCS hanging. This is the reason why both DC and Marvel have decided to ditch them, I really hope Diamond goes out of business soon.

ooooh yeah, I remember hearing about that shit.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
I'm considering getting caught up on things on the X-Men front. I was subbed via my local comic store to Hickman's flagship X-Men up until the pandemic started -- I think the last issue I got was #8?

I'd be looking to just go all digital since that's how I was reading them anyway -- I was taking my digital codes, redeeming them on Marvel.com, and then reading thru them on my iPad thru the Marvel app.

I know the best overall value is Marvel Unlimited but there's that 6-month delay that I kinda find annoying since I really only care to keep up on X-Men right now, and I wanna be right up to date so I can discuss things in up to date threads like this one. That said, Marvel Unlimited would easily pick up where I left off and the value is still tempting, especially since it opens me up to branch out to different Marvel franchises if I decide to (I'd maybe pick up on Daredevil and Spider-Man and that's probably about it).

... but if I decided to stick with X-Men only and get completely caught up, which series are worth following? I was only on Hickman's flagship and Marauders before the pandemic, after HoX/PoX. Was X of Swords a good crossover event, and if so, did it require in-depth knowledge of all of the X-books leading up to it, or did they highlight which issues mattered most significantly leading up to the event?

Thanks on any insight if anyone takes the time!
X of Swords was hype. I have criticisms for it's length, pacing, and the execution of it's tone shifts but it's pretty interesting and the high moments are very exciting. Before starting with X of Swords: Creation, you need to read X-Men #12. You do not need to read Excalibur #11 and #12 but they do give some connecting background info (that I don't think is important) if you really want it.

X-Men, Hellions, S.W.O.R.D, and Way of X, are the top tier X books and every single issue of these since you dropped off has been great (except for X-Men #17.) Even the issues Marvel forced their Empyre and King in Black events onto were, shockingly, somehow, also good.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I am honestly surprised at how little discussion there is about Farrouk and Rahne this issue of New Mutants

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Mainly because it's just setup as of yet. There isn't much to talk about except they have known he's on the island. Him being referred to as Farrouk instead of Shadow King seems to hint that he's not possessed as of yet, but him calling himself a psychic entity seems to imply he is.

It does make me think Karma is wrong about the presence she is feeling, but she has her own guilt to deal with.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Mainly because it's just setup as of yet. There isn't much to talk about except they have known he's on the island. Him being referred to as Farrouk instead of Shadow King seems to hint that he's not possessed as of yet, but him calling himself a psychic entity seems to imply he is.

It does make me think Karma is wrong about the presence she is feeling, but she has her own guilt to deal with.
I'll note that he calls himself a psychic creature, not an entity. Which is still an abnormal phrasing. But if it were still Shadow King in there I doubt he'd be bothering to lie while also delivering hints that he's doing so.

Whether or not his intentions are genuine, I do very much believe it's 100% the mutant Farouk Amahl and not the Shadow King.

Still looking at No Girl suspiciously though...

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
X of Swords was hype. I have criticisms for it's length, pacing, and the execution of it's tone shifts but it's pretty interesting and the high moments are very exciting. Before starting with X of Swords: Creation, you need to read X-Men #12. You do not need to read Excalibur #11 and #12 but they do give some connecting background info (that I don't think is important) if you really want it.

X-Men, Hellions, S.W.O.R.D, and Way of X, are the top tier X books and every single issue of these since you dropped off has been great (except for X-Men #17.) Even the issues Marvel forced their Empyre and King in Black events onto were, shockingly, somehow, also good.

Appreciate this!

Still uncertain how I want to approach my catch-up...

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I seem to be approaching some sort of event tie-in months (non x-men event? I havent actually checked) sicne the next few issues seem to be tied-in with Empyre, so I guess I'm gonna "have" to read Empyre, whatever that is.

Oct 25, 2017
not to derail this with general comic stuff, but what events were there since Secret Wars?

I know Civil War 2 and now this Empyre thing, what else? oh that Hydra Cap thing right?

Avengers Standoff, Inhumans vs. X-Men, Damnation, Infinity Countdown, Infinity Wars, Age of X-Man, War of the Realms, Absolute Carnage, and King in Black on top of the ones mentioned. There's some Spider-Man events scattered around here and there too.

Last edited:

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I seem to be approaching some sort of event tie-in months (non x-men event? I havent actually checked) sicne the next few issues seem to be tied-in with Empyre, so I guess I'm gonna "have" to read Empyre, whatever that is.
As others have said, you don't need to read Empyre, but it's good that you're reading it, because Empyre rules. Don't bother with the tie-ins, X-Men and Captain Marvel were the only good ones, but the #0 and fallout issues, plus the Lords of Empyre one-shots, are pretty much part of the main series.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
X-Force #9

- Issue starts with a bigparty and the most fucked up game of russian roulette between Wolverine and Daken. Fantastic 2 page spread of the party here tbh.
- Beast sends the team (minus Jean for...reasons?) back to Terra Verde to continue on that thread we left off some issues again.
- Some sort of plan-based infections has taken over and killed everyone, one assumes it's the president's son who melted away and escaped back in whatever issue that was.
- Shit goes sideways and Beast sends Black Tom into the field to help them next issue (makes sense with his plant based powers).
- Book continues to be great and continues to have some really gnarly art (lots of immortal hulk-style body horror stuff in this one).

X-Men #9

- some background info on the Brood King Egg, turns out it was Kree-made 8 thousand years prior as a weapon to topple empires by making Brood hives target the king egg in fear of a patriarchy ruining their hive system, which is a neat idea.
- space hijinks with the Summers family and the Shiar vs the Brood, it's all great especially because of the art.
- when all seems lost and they are overwhelmed by the Hive, Broo eats the egg and is now... the Brood king? not so sure about that ending tbh lol.
- wasnt a big fan of this one overall, was hoping for more of a story involving the Shiar and the Brood, two of my favorite X-Men related factions.

Giant-Sized X-Men: Nightcrawler #1

- Quite liked this one as Hickman continues to squeeze out great use of mutants I would never imagine he would, case in point, Doug and Eyeboy.
- It's called GSX: Nightcrawler #1 but really, Kurt isn't the focus at all, it's a normal team mission. A mission in this case to go back to the original Westchester X-Mansion (yay) after they detect some mutant activity there.
- Again, Doug and Eyeboy are the stand outs of this one, with Doug ultimately saving the day by making a deal with the weird alien things that took over the mansion, which probably is a thread that will be picked up later down the road knowing Hickman.
- Another thread which im sure will be picked up is the fact that Warlock is, seemingly in secret, living in Doug's phalanx arm. Magik finds out but they ask her to keep it a secret for whatever reason.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
not to derail this with general comic stuff, but what events were there since Secret Wars?

I know Civil War 2 and now this Empyre thing, what else? oh that Hydra Cap thing right?
Avengers: No Road Home and Avengers: Never Surrender. Both are worth reading, and both were co-written for Al Ewing and will likely play a role in his X-Men stuff just like they're playing a role in Guardians of The Galaxy.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rhaknar, you haven't mentioned X-Men + Fantastic Four. It's not in the reading lists because it was a separate limited series, but it's still pretty fun and standalone, tying up a loose end from HoX.

BTW, since you're using MU, it might be faster to browse by publication date and skip the non-X books, it's less tedious than going back and forth using the reading lists in each issue. It also means you can get events like Empyre in their release order, which is annoying to look up after the fact.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Rhaknar, you haven't mentioned X-Men + Fantastic Four. It's not in the reading lists because it was a separate limited series, but it's still pretty fun and standalone, tying up a loose end from HoX.

BTW, since you're using MU, it might be faster to browse by publication date and skip the non-X books, it's less tedious than going back and forth using the reading lists in each issue. It also means you can get events like Empyre in their release order, which is annoying to look up after the fact.

I did mention it, I read 1-4 back to back instead of doing it by release like the rest because...err...reasons. It was fine if uneventful. Doom is always fun.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Wolverine #2

- Adam Kubert is too good to be "stuck" on a sidebook man, and I say that as someone who is actually really enjoying this.
- I really like how this feels less stand alone than Wolverine books usually feel and more connected to all the teams he's in and the stuff that's going on. For example in this issue we get a little Marauders stuff with Bishop and a zombie Kitty.
- This pale girl villain is pretty creepy tbh, I'm digging it. Was not expecting them to kill off the dude they did (or maybe they didn't I'll find out later).
- Lots of "drug cartel" style stories on x-men books around this time huh?

Hellions #1

- So I really didn't care for Fallen Angels or Psylocke, and you folk said she would be in a much better book, which I assume is this one.
- Sinister bickering with Exodus about costume shoulder ornaments makes this already great :3
- wow Empath is a fucking asshole... kinda into it :D
- Orphan-Maker and Nanny... what is happening? lol
- ok Psylocke is all sorts of badass in this. Sinister is very... silly, unexpected but I'm pretty into it.
- oh shit Maddie Pryor is back.
- art is pretty good, at least in the first issue.

I REALLY liked this, a lot. Very high up there with my faves of this Hickman era.

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
Excalibur : X of Swords :: S.W.O.R.D : The Hellfire Gala

or

Excalibur : X of Swords :: Marauders : The Hellfire Gala

?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Damn! Zeb killed it with Hellions #1.
Troy-and-Abeds-Cool-Handshake-On-Community.gif

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Excalibur : X of Swords :: S.W.O.R.D : The Hellfire Gala

or

Excalibur : X of Swords :: Marauders : The Hellfire Gala

?
What's the question?

Damn! Zeb killed it with Hellions #1.
Hellions is honestly the only reason to read Fallen Angels. Before it came out Fallen Angels was trash that was never referenced again.

Well Hellions makes reference to it. Sinister has something on Psylocke and we all know what it is. And it will continue to play into events.