• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Thanks, I looked for that link, but still haven't seen Bobby.
Ez52hX8WEAUePAM

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Excalibur #8

- no Apocalypse so automatically a bad issue!
- they finish up the Warwolf hunt thing and it's all very uneventful.
- baby Warwolf at the end was cute tho.
- if I was buying books, I would have dropped this by now to be honest :/

X-Men #8

- direct continuation of the New Mutants space adventures, which makes sense since that was also written by Hickman.
- the kids brought back a Brood Egg and it attracted a whole lot of shit to Krakoa.
- oh hey its Broo :D
- Summers clan fucks off earth with the King Egg and it looks like we'll have another Shiar visit next issue.

Marauders #9

- Emma quickly realizes Yellowjacket is inside Pyro to spy on them and handles it all with some funny mental games.
- Pyro was great this issue.
- They quickly dispatch of the spy and send a warning to the Verendi kids to fuck off and leave them alone.
- They still can't bring Kitty back and it seems to genuilly upset Emma, I really like their relationship.
- Something going on with Lockheed too, Kitty's spirit in him or something? Either way, I love this book.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Mannnn Bobby looks great.

Bishop, come on man, you can do better than that.

Bishop's outfit is an obvious reference to his status as Red Bishop of the Hellfire Club, so i have no complaints there.

Its a little tight, but he's one of those people who are supposed to be extremely dominant physically.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
IIRC Kitty Pryde/Emma poisoned the shit out of him for killing her

Its this. I don't recall why he chose to live crippled and fucked up instead of resurrecting though.

Edit: oh wait. I think if he "died" they would have to do an investigation into why, and that would reveal that Shaw was the one who killed Pryde- he'd end up in the hole with Sabretooth.

Living as he is in a crippled body is a compromise option.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Can't shaw get someone to hit him so that he can up his vitality?

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can they fix phsycial stuff? Like can Whiz Kid come back able to walk?

They can, yeah

One of the moral questions that is brought up (i forget by who) is that...they can make people come back BETTER than perfect, if they really wanted to. They fully have the power to bring people back younger, older, healed, with adjusted memories, with better control of their powers, etc

It's why it's so fucked up

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Cyclops even said that some mutants proposed that the "optimal version" of themselves is their mind, on Magneto's body with his powers.

Kurt, we need that mutant religion ASAP!!!

BTW, the card that introduces Cardinal, back on Powers of X says: "the lost cardinal of the last religion"

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Cyclops even said that some mutants proposed that the "optimal version" of themselves is their mind, on Magneto's body with his powers.

Kurt, we need that mutant religion ASAP!!!

BTW, the card that introduces Cardinal, back on Powers of X says: "the lost cardinal of the last religion"

True, but there was no Krakoa in that timeline, so the religious reference comes from elsewhere.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
In X-Force

I think domino let herself die so she could be resurrected with her memories of recent torture wiped, which kind of counts

unless this happened recently, she did the exact OPPOSITE of that. Colossus suggested that and she said she wanted to keep the pain and the memories. She died on a mission with Colossus.

You read Xmen #7 recently. No suicide, that's the rule.

For Crucible, and Crucible is for de-powered mutants no? That being said I assumed the suicide rule would apply for everyone.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
unless this happened recently, she did the exact OPPOSITE of that. Colossus suggested that and she said she wanted to keep the pain and the memories. She died on a mission with Colossus.

For Crucible, and Crucible is for de-powered mutants no? That being said I assumed the suicide rule would apply for everyone.

Open spoilers in this thread, my guy.

And you're correct- Domino didn't suicide. The "no suicide" rule is for everyone. The queue is millions of people long and many of those people (like everyone on Genosha) were murdered unfairly. A suicide (or someone obviously unworthy, like Cordelia Frost) would end up being at the back of the line and would take years to be brought back.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
More Mutant Gala Costumes-

someone out there REALLY loves Synch. Zero to Hero in like 30 days

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Synch looks awesome.

And as someone who actually hates Colossus (the sad useless member of the proud Rasputin mutant family), he has never looked better.

I was going to make a comment about colossus being from the shallow end of the Rasputin gene pool, but his powers aren't really any worse than Magik's.

She just studied sorcery while he took up painting. That's entirely his own fault.

Edit: real talk that synch outfit is something i definitely would have rocked in my college/club phase when i was still SUPER into psychedelics

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was going to make a comment about colossus being from the shallow end of the Rasputin gene pool, but his powers aren't really any worse than Magik's.

She just studied sorcery while he took up painting. That's entirely his own fault.
Nah, he just sucks

Illyana can teleport across time and space, also reach Limbo. Her sorcery is just extra.
Mikhail was a reality bender and multidimensional teleporter.
Piotr just get his skin really hard.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
More powerful?

Mikhail Rasputin
Jamie Braddock
Legion

Legion
Braddock
Rasputin

In that order. 1 and 2 are Omega Mutants. 3 isn't. 1 has every single ability there is, 2 is a lot more limited.

Edit: taking the time here to clarify that Hickman's position on Omega Mutants doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it is what it is right now.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Nah, he just sucks

Illyana can teleport across time and space, also reach Limbo. Her sorcery is just extra.
Mikhail was a reality bender and multidimensional teleporter.
Piotr just get his skin really hard.

In a vaccum, Illyana's stepping discs as a teleportation ability arent all that notable. The range on those is limited, (in terms of people or object size she can teleport at once) she HAD to go through Limbo before going anywhere else, and Limbo is full of demons.

Cable's bodyslide tech is more advanced than this without the whole "gotta go through hell first" part of it.

Learning Sorcery from Belasco (and later Strange) made her teleportation WAY more effective than it should be by default as a mutant power.

Colossus is more than just "hard skin." His entire body transforms to organic steel. This gives him super strength (at a currently uncalculated level, but you know how that goes, he's as strong or weak as the plot requires) but that's not the most relevant part of the mutation.

In armored form, Colossus requires no food, water, or oxygen- assuming its like Emma's diamond form Colossus could stay in this form indefinitely and is effectively immortal, provided he doesn't run into something powerful enough to damage that form and this is a really high bar.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Im liking Havok's design more than i thought i would and psylocke's is FIRE. Ten bucks says Sinister and Exodus have it out over shoulder pad size again

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
At first I didn't get Hell Fire Gala but now I am hype as hell for it. I love these designs

I find the idea of a summer crossover event not being a "the world is ending" crisis but instead a massively high profile social and political event that realigns allegiances to be somewhat refreshing and compelling honestly.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
GSX Emma and Jean was probably my least favorite non-Fallen Angels issue so far. At least it was mostly wordless so I could plow through it in a couple of minutes. Hickman and Dragotta's wordless East of West issue was far better.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
GSX Emma and Jean was probably my least favorite non-Fallen Angels issue so far. At least it was mostly wordless so I could plow through it in a couple of minutes. Hickman and Dragotta's wordless East of West issue was far better.
It was a homage to New X-Men #121 where Jean and Emma teamed up to understand the Cassandra Nova situation.

It also references events of the Claremont run (the "explain how I know you" part shows Jean and practically a sister to Storm, while Emma is like "I once shot you with a mind transferring gun and took over your life")

Without connections to those to things it can fall a bit flat. The wordless point is that it's the mind, words aren't needed.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Well Thank you sir.

Also this for when Emma responds to the two head lion.
latest

4Kr2EDg.png

Now you know why Storm turned down Red Queen (which is another old reference the UK Hellfire Club used Red and Black instead of White and Black)

Also I love that Emma outfit so much. Emma has been extremely on point with her clothing since she ditched field work and costumes.

Last thing. Since we got some newbies here. In the Dawn of X comics when Emma points out she had just gotten rid of Shaw it is because this was what she had done right before Dawn of X.

uJ7BRUr.png

kR2aZho.png

0R4YqRo.png

I wish she had been allowed to stay the Black King. Between that and finally rescuing her brother (something Emma should have done years ago) in the Iceman comic Emma truly was allowed to shine post Bendis trying to character assassinate her.

Emma and Shawn's dynamic as it has grown over the years is so interesting. The additional things included in New X-Men, Emma Frost, the Quarantine storyline in Uncanny X-Men and X-Men Black and now Marauders just is amazing.

I do wish creators would remember Shawn's backstory a bit more. He literally is a broken man hiding his break in hedonism because he lost the love of his life. I wish his amnesia phase had lasted longer and lead to something greater.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm considering getting caught up on things on the X-Men front. I was subbed via my local comic store to Hickman's flagship X-Men up until the pandemic started -- I think the last issue I got was #8?

I'd be looking to just go all digital since that's how I was reading them anyway -- I was taking my digital codes, redeeming them on Marvel.com, and then reading thru them on my iPad thru the Marvel app.

I know the best overall value is Marvel Unlimited but there's that 6-month delay that I kinda find annoying since I really only care to keep up on X-Men right now, and I wanna be right up to date so I can discuss things in up to date threads like this one. That said, Marvel Unlimited would easily pick up where I left off and the value is still tempting, especially since it opens me up to branch out to different Marvel franchises if I decide to (I'd maybe pick up on Daredevil and Spider-Man and that's probably about it).

... but if I decided to stick with X-Men only and get completely caught up, which series are worth following? I was only on Hickman's flagship and Marauders before the pandemic, after HoX/PoX. Was X of Swords a good crossover event, and if so, did it require in-depth knowledge of all of the X-books leading up to it, or did they highlight which issues mattered most significantly leading up to the event?

Thanks on any insight if anyone takes the time!

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
This deal just keeps getting better and better... :p

Alright, that really helps the MU option. I don't suppose MU has some sort of discount for stuff active subscribers decide to purchase and own permanently? Kinda like Game Pass on Xbox?
You would be better off just buying any book you wanted off Comixology. They half the price on Marvel books when the trader releases in addition to whatever sale they currently have running.