• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Isn't this the first time Sunfire is on the "main" X-Men team since Giant-Size X-Men? I know he was in Uncanny Avengers for a bit but never ever in a major X book like this.

Yep, he was on for the rescue of the original Xmen... from Krakoa! Wayback at the intro for the allnew all different Xmen, but he fucked off right after that mission.

second-gen-x-men-100k.jpg

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
New Mutants #1

- wow love the art / coloring.
- I don't know this Mondo guy, when was he introduced?
- That was just some super fun space hijinks, I'm very down with this. Glad they still mention Roberto is rich as fuck.
- Didn't I read somewhere Magik was trapped in demon form or something? She was fine here.

X-Force #1

- Great art, very gritty, just like the book
- Much like the other new series (except New Mutants I guess), I love there's a "villain" in the team, Black Tom in this case. His connection with Krakoa is also a great use of this powers.
- Cool action with the assassin squad but it's kinda funny how a "OMG XAVIER IS DEAD" cliffhanger is supposed to be exciting when the whole premise of this new status quo is that Mutants can just ressurect :)
- Much like Mondo in New Mutants, I don't know who this Healer old man is.

edit: Fallen Angels #1

- another mixed bag art style, sometimes its rgaet, but the faces look very Greg Land-ish, which is bad
- I'm not sure I care about this Psylocke / Betsy split but I haven't read the story where it happened.
- I'm still confused with teenager Cable, because I know its not Nate Grey.
- What the fuck they took Laura's Wovlerine name away and are calling her X-23 again? What horseshit is this?
- I know you guys shat on it but I didn't mind this frist issue. Except the part where it sounds like another black-ops style team and there«s already X-Force for that.

My feelings so far are Marauders / X-Force > New Mutants > Excalibur / Fallen Angels / X-Men. That X-Men #1 really dissappointed me, I dunno why.

Mondo was introduced in the Original Generation X comics
Magick being in demon form has long been over.
The old man Healer is literally Healer, he was one of the Morlocks introduced during original Claremont run of Uncanny X-Men.

Mondo is a OGer? I don't remember him at all, I remember all the other ones, even tho I never really read much New Mutants / Gen X. Oh shit and yeah I totally remember that old man from the Morlocks :D

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
New Mutants #1

- wow love the art / coloring.
- I don't know this Mondo guy, when was he introduced?
- That was just some super fun space hijinks, I'm very down with this. Glad they still mention Roberto is rich as fuck.
- Didn't I read somewhere Magik was trapped in demon form or something? She was fine here.

X-Force #1

- Great art, very gritty, just like the book
- Much like the other new series (except New Mutants I guess), I love there's a "villain" in the team, Black Tom in this case. His connection with Krakoa is also a great use of this powers.
- Cool action with the assassin squad but it's kinda funny how a "OMG XAVIER IS DEAD" cliffhanger is supposed to be exciting when the whole premise of this new status quo is that Mutants can just ressurect :)
- Much like Mondo in New Mutants, I don't know who this Healer old man is.

My feelings so far are Marauders / X-Force > New Mutants > Excalibur / X-Men. That X-Men #1 really dissappointed me, I dunno why.
Mondo was introduced in the Original Generation X comics
Magick being in demon form has long been over.
The old man Healer is literally Healer, he was one of the Morlocks introduced during original Claremont run of Uncanny X-Men.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
- Why does Wolverine live with the Summer clan lol.
- Why is Cable a teenager? I assume this was pre-Hickman stuff?
- I don't know Vulcan (I know he's the fabled third brother) so him being there also does nothing for me.
- wolverine is living with his girlfriend and his girlfriend's husband who is also his boyfriend
- Baby Cable (Bable) came back from the future and killed Old Cable because he refused to bring the Original 5 X-men (who had been brought into the present by Beast for reasons) back to their past, even if it would have pretty catastrophic consequences of everyone-dies-and-the-bad-guys-win. That happened in Extermination, it was fun. He then calmed down and mellowed out and he's now this awkward teen out of his time with much less experience and a lot to prove.
- Vulcan was apparently a super bad guy who killed lots of people in space or something, and then died. He's here now trying to be nice. I didn't know him before but he's interesting in this new era

- wtf is a Otherworld?
- Otherworld is a magic alternate dimension, part of it is the kingdom of Avalon from british folklore. Usually Captain Britain is its protector, and also it serves as a gateway to other universes or something. You'll learn more as you go.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Can't tell if you guys are fucking with me or not lol
wolverine and cyclops are explicitly both getting it on with jean, and implicitly (they've made some flirts and jokes but nothing direct) probably each other
also cyclops flirts with emma
and logan with storm
sometimes with kurt too

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
wait, is that what the sinister secret was then? something about... what was it?

someone fucks someones wife but he can't complain because he's also getting some on the side? lol >_<

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
wolverine and cyclops are explicitly both getting it on with jean, and implicitly (they've made some flirts and jokes but nothing direct) probably each other
also cyclops flirts with emma
and logan with storm
sometimes with kurt too
Not to mention kid Cable dating all five of the Stepford Cuckoos at once, explicitly. Mutants are all about openly polyamorous relationships and now that they run things around the house it has become the norm.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
X-Men / Fantastic Four #1-4

- Really like the cartoony art, but I'm usual a sucker for that style (I think I'm still the only Ramos' fan around here for example)
- This was just a fun dumb Team-up (well, first its VS, then its a team-up) sort of adventure, Doom is always fun to read, and I loved the call back to when Kate was in Latveria to be cured.
- Not sure how I feel about grown up Franklin and Val tbh, I would need to read actual F4 to chime in on that.
- Speaking of Val, Val and Doom interactions are always fun. Like I said, the whole thing was a easy fun read. Back to the monthlies then.

X-Men #2

- ok this is more like, this feels more like Hickman. Creepy white summoner guy was very reminiscent of the dudes he created for Avengers.
- teenage Cable is an idiot. Like, an actual idiot. His bickering with Rachel is kinda cute I guess.
- loving this focus on Apocalypse.
- yo fam even Krakoa is horny!
- this issue single handidly made me more interested in Excalibur also, since that should deal with those Arrako summoners aswell?

Marauders #2

- Yeah this is probably my favorite book in the reboot. Just super fun.
- I'm actually really liking Pyro lol. I also like that Lockheed gives him a constant fire source for his powers, nice touch.
- Emma and Kate in prominent roles, book was made for me.
- Only downside so far is that Iceman is just kinda there, but it's still early.

Excalibur #2

- Liked this one a lot more than the first issue. As I said before, love how prominent Apocalypse seems to be in this whole new Hickman X-Verse.
- Jubilee seems like the most random addition to the book, not sure how I feel about her in it.
- Sad puppy Gambit is not necessarily the Gambit I wanted when I heard he was in the book.
- Very intrigued with this whole Arrako coven thing, especially after X-Men #2.

And Jean's is the one in the middle.

easy access to whoever she feels like being with I guess :3

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
New Mutants #2

- Space adventures continue and it feels like Hickman is just having fun with this one.
- It annoys me that Roberto assumes Sam would even want to leave his WIFE AND CHILD to go to Krakoa. Good to see Sam again tho.
- I'm a big Shi'ar fanboy so this is right up my alley. What happened to Lilandra tho? Seems Gladiator is the current leader, and Xandra is Lilandra's daughter, since he mentions fetching her aunt Deathbird to train her in the ruling ways.
- Book is surprisingly funny too. Great art continues, problem is, it's one of those "distinct" art styles that will feel super jarring if the artist changes.

X-Force #2

- CSI: Krakoa? Sure.
- Oh yeah Quentin is in this book. Fun fact, I loved Quentin in his original debut in New X-Men, and I've hated him in everything else he's been. So far he's... alright I guess. He's Quentin for better or worse.
- Really liking the vibe of this book and the story it's telling.
- Fuck me... Domino :(

Fallen Angels #2

- yeeeeah this isn't very good, probably the only real dud of the lot (like most of you said tbf)
- I don't care about any of this Kwannon assassin flashback shit.
- I don't care how edgy the book is trying to be, or Laura's woes in it, where's my kickass confident Wolverine Laura? In fact where's Honey Badger.
- Cable is as annoying here as he is in X-Men.
- The rare Sinister appearances are the only bright spots.

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Lilandra was killed by one of the forces of Emperor Vulcan. The same Vulcan who is living with his brother Cyclops on the moon (but he's a resurrected version)

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
And it's also implied that Jean and Emma are hooking up too.

I think I know what you are referring too, pretty sure it was a sign that they were both sharing Cyclops. Might be me reading into that wrong.

It was at the end of house of x when they were celebrating on Krakoa sharing a beer and she threw Emma one. I don't want to dig it up.

Also I'm here for all of that. Love to see it. Krakoans get down and don't give a fuck.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Went back in the thread to read your guys reactions to all of this live, this caught my eye :D

edit: this would make the "beer scene" make a lot more sense also- there's no more love triangle between scott/emma/jean, Scott and jean have returned to being offical, emma accepts this with no regrets and moves on, being friendly with both.

AliveImpressionableBallpython-size_restricted.gif

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Yeah other issues disproved that.

Probably because many of X-Men fans are Emma/Scott shippers and even Jean encouraged their relationship in the New X-Men era

Had to go back and see what the context of that comment was.

It was in response to the theory that Jean wearing her Marvel girl outfit wasn't the current Jean but a much earlier backup made by Xavier because of something weird Hickman said.

I wasn't on board with that at all- the "beer scene" showed that Emma and Jean had moved on from being bitter rivals over scott- which is definitely true (the two don't exactly like each other personally outside of that) , though i dont think any of us expected the reason being a "totally free love environment where everyone is sleeping with everyone else on Krakoa" to be the reason why.

Wolverine-Scott-Jean isn't a love triangle anymore either. The drama is gone and that relationship is just open.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Had to go back and see what the context of that comment was.

It was in response to the theory that Jean wearing her Marvel girl outfit wasn't the current Jean but a much earlier backup made by Xavier because of something weird Hickman said.

I wasn't on board with that at all- the "beer scene" showed that Emma and Jean had moved on from being bitter rivals over scott- which is definitely true (the two don't exactly like each other personally outside of that) , though i dont think any of us expected the reason being a "totally free love environment where everyone is sleeping with everyone else on Krakoa" to be the reason why.

Wolverine-Scott-Jean isn't a love triangle anymore either. The drama is gone and that relationship is just open.

wasn't throwing you under the bus mademan, just thought it was funny given what people have said about the threesome in the last 2 pages :)

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
SWORD still kind of escapes me because I haven't read the King in Black event and/or the galactic backstory, but I like that it continues the tradition of non-X-Men books having Jean in a better outfit than her tacky Marvel Girl costume. What a smackdown, though.

Art aside, this arc of X-Force is my favourite since the DoX run started. It's amazing how much you can improve a series by removing Beast and Wolverine.

Last edited:

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
SWORD still kind of escapes me because I haven't read the King in Black event and/or the galactic backstory, but I like that it continues the tradition of non-X-Men books having Jean in a better outfit than her tacky Marvel Girl costume. What a smackdown, though.

Art aside, this arc of X-Force is my favourite since the DoX run started. It's amazing how much you can improve a series by removing Beast and Wolverine.

King in Black is entirely skippable and irrelevant to the events of the book, honestly.

As far as Galactic events go, "Snarkwar" is a war of succession that breaks out whenever it is unclear who will be the next emperor/empress of the Zn'rx.

This particular "Snarkwar" is a fairly recent event (i believe it started in Guardians of the Galaxy) caused when one of the Elders of the Universe assassinated the Zn'rx leader in an attempt to destabilize the universe and sell weaponry.

Ordinarily "Snarkwar" is a fairly long, fairly bloody affair with a lot of collateral damage, but this one appears to have been strangled to death in the crib by virtue of SWORD intervening, finding one heir with a legitimate claim that would cooperate with them and assassinating everyone else.

Really all there is to it. Krakoa (via SWORD) is on the board as a galactic player that puts them on the same level as the Kree/Skrull alliance in influence if not past it- if i recall correctly Broo is the current "King" of the Brood on top of all this, but that hasn't been followed up on.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
This particular "Snarkwar" is a fairly recent event (i believe it started in Guardians of the Galaxy) caused when one of the Elders of the Universe assassinated the Zn'rx leader in an attempt to destabilize the universe and sell weaponry.
if i remember correctly some Snarks back in Royals were talking about Snarkwar or something

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
if i remember correctly some Snarks back in Royals were talking about Snarkwar or something

Royals? The old inhumans book? I remember very little about that one, but it would predate the current conflict. This one started in GOTG immediately before King in Black kicked off.

There have been a few of them so far. If one was mentioned in Royals its since been resolved.

Edit: speaking of Royals, the ease at which the progenitors were dispatched in the current issue of GOTG makes it unlikely marvel is ever going to revisit that plotline

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Royals? The old inhumans book? I remember very little about that one, but it would predate the current conflict. This one started in GOTG immediately before King in Black kicked off.

There have been a few of them so far. If one was mentioned in Royals its since been resolved.
I would have to go back and re-read the arc but i just mentioned it because Ewing did write that one and it could be connected just like his New Avengers eventually led to Empyre

(not in a "he was planning it all this time!" way, just, yknow, might have more info or something)

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Ok so the one from Royals was Hynar, who was trying to start a Snarkwar even when the ruler hadn't died. Hynar got crushed by the inhumans, and now in SWORD we learn about the Hynar Usurpation, which somehow led to the current emperor, who died and started this other Snarkwar

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Way of X was brilliant. Using Nightcrawler as the audience insert, and having him question the things that are uncomfortable while also acknowledging that some of it might just be our (his previous) cultural perspective.

...and then having Nemesis straight up tell us of the things that are bad, or could become very bad. The culture leaning into the loud, angry, alpha male type characters and shifting to be more militaristic and violent. The blatant favoritism and disturbing "value" of some mutants over others in resurrection in a society and claims that all mutants are good and great, decided on by only those at the very top. The Crucible inherently favoritism the militaristic or "strong" mutants over others, shifting society in that direction. Mutant society seems destined to value the strong over the weak without changes.

Pixie looking like the character that might not buy into the new mutant values, but gets peer pressured into fitting in. I'm very excited to see where Spurrier goes with her.

And then when Legion just straight up knows what's going on, meaning Nightcrawler will likely be the first major Krakoan mutant to realize that the future is being deliberately obscured (and will also probably suck ass).

11/10

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Way of X #1 was fantastic,
its the single premise im most interested in in this entire line and that first issue is a good sign its going to be tackling the issue as well as id ever hoped.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Way of X was brilliant. Using Nightcrawler as the audience insert, and having him question the things that are uncomfortable while also acknowledging that some of it might just be our (his previous) cultural perspective.

Hmm yes i agree.

...and then having Nemesis straight up tell us of the things that are bad, or could become very bad.

To be fair, Nemesis is actively under the influence of some fairly powerful and novel hallucinogenic fungi that are growing out of his own skull. His proposal for an R&D unit led by himself in every area from "perfection of coffee" up to "experimental murdertech" also seems to point to dangerous levels of megalomania... Especially since the law/ethics portion of R&D is suspiciously vacant as Nemesis cannot be bothered with such areas.

Point being- Nemesis isn't exactly a reliable authority here.

The blatant favoritism and disturbing "value" of some mutants over others in resurrection in a society and claims that all mutants are good and great, decided on by only those at the very top. The Crucible inherently favoritism the militaristic or "strong" mutants over others, shifting society in that direction.

Im not sure i'm on board with this. There does not seem to be any favoritism or "value" placed on some mutants over others in the resurrection queue, with the exception that mutants killed in action or on council seem to have priority, which is reasonable.

This is well tread ground in X-Factor here, Way of X isn't really offering anything new.

There is no inherent favoritism in Crucible either. Crucible is only available for those who willingly seek it out, and for those that do, they are able to choose the individual they face there. "Lost" here was seeking Nightcrawler because he is known to be "kindly" and (presumably) would have offered a swift and merciful death. Nightcrawler was so preoccupied with his own issues that he blew her off and missed the point entirely. The "powerful" mutant on the other hand did not.

Magneto's approach wasn't what you would call merciful (if anything it made Apocalypse seem a lot more restrained) but Crucible isn't really supposed to be. Sacrificing yourself to resurrection is supposed to be a trial only the truly determined engage in. Recall Apocalypse repeatedly requested that his supplicant stay down, stop fighting, and embrace life as human rather than being killed. An easy way out was always there.

And then when Legion just straight up knows what's going on, meaning Nightcrawler will likely be the first major Krakoan mutant to realize that the future is being deliberately obscured (and will also probably suck ass).

Well... Its important to realize that legion is (and always will be) severely mentally ill and is a borderline villain at the best of times, not an oracle of truth.

Second- he does seem to have realized that precognitives are not being resurrected (Mystique has noticed the same for similar reasons) but this is less a "Krakoan value" than it is Moira's agenda specifically, and Moira has a lot of things she's hiding even from Charles.