• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Synch and Laura on the same team again! I like this.

Not too fond of Rogue and Polaris leaving their current teams.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Can Jean Grey get another callsign? Marvel Girl, really? Or is it a just me issue?

It was her original callsign.

Personally, kinda lines up with her being in a costume that resembles her original outfit too, sort of a long telegraph.

Also, given the era I grew up in (90's), X-Men was the "face" of Marvel to me... So it all lines up ok. It's sort of a subtle re-assertion of that nostalgia, I feel.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like that line-up is a bit too safe with only Synch and Sunfire being suprises. Small roster so they might get "guests" for certains arcs who knows. Duggan did a good job so far on Marauders so I'm looking forward to the book.

Also, two mutants who can copy powers? In this economy?

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
She can copy anything and the "victim" has no lasting effects.
She is a prime warrior these days, who chan copy several powers at the same time.

Does she have any Carol Danvers flight/strength left? I read Mr. and Mrs. X and the current Excalibur run and... I have no idea. I miss those old-school captions that described everyone's powers each issue.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Very happy to see both Synch and Sunfire on the team. The latter especially is a pleasant surprise.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Does she have any Carol Danvers flight/strength left? I read Mr. and Mrs. X and the current Excalibur run and... I have no idea. I miss those old-school captions that described everyone's powers each issue.
No she lost those a long time ago. And honestly I feel her character is better for it.

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
No she lost those a long time ago. And honestly I feel her character is better for it.

Agreed. Glad she's got more control now! She's got some history with Sunfire iirc... can't wait to see if they touch on that. Also how her powers interact with Synch. Rogue, Synch and Hope could be a very interesting mutant "circuit".

Huncho

Jun 10, 2020
Really thought Logan was going to make the team. Still happy to see Wolverine and Synch tho. Really liked Vault Laura

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I remember she had semi-permed Wonder Man's powers for a bit, like she had for Carol, but I think that plot was dropped. I can't remember if it was ever addressed that the power left her.
Yeah in Duggan's Uncanny Avengers, i don't remember the details but it had something to do with absorbing Deadpool's powers and Wonder Man coming back to life

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
quoting myself from that krakoa thread cause I wanna start adding shit :D

just resubbed to MU after years of not owning a tablet, I'm trying to google the complete reading list since Hickman took over (every title even the off shoots and shit, not just the hickman written stuff) but I'm coming up short, any good guide (like the good ol' Hickman FF/Avengers chart or the Marvel Cosmic Chart)?

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
quoting myself from that krakoa thread cause I wanna start adding shit :D
There probably isn't a chart like that since it's still in progress. That said-start with House of X/Powers of X.

Then you start with X-Men #1, I think. at the end of each issue it lists a chart of the next comics to read week by week.

Edit:
Looks like this has it down right

www.howtoread.me

X-Men by Jonathan Hickman Reading Order: How to read the most ambitious X-Men run in a long time?

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks!For a long time, X-Men comics were just a second thought at Marvel Comics. And then, Jonathan Hickman came. What is the X-Men by Jonathan Hickman series about? A new era begins for the mutants of the Marvel World. With...

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Edit:
Looks like this has it down right

www.howtoread.me

X-Men by Jonathan Hickman Reading Order: How to read the most ambitious X-Men run in a long time?

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks!For a long time, X-Men comics were just a second thought at Marvel Comics. And then, Jonathan Hickman came. What is the X-Men by Jonathan Hickman series about? A new era begins for the mutants of the Marvel World. With...

thank you so much!

On Marvel Unlimited go to reading lists and search Dawn of X.

oh I didn't know searching in different sections of MU gave you different search resutls :o

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Give Jean her Giant Size X-Men armor you cowards!

Solid X-Men lineup though. Hopefully they get decent replacements for Polaris in X-Factor.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
House of X #1

- damn great art
- this Krakoa stuff is such Hickman crazy bullshit, I love it
- yay Magneto has that dope ass white costume again. Lol at Cyclops and the F4 meeting.
- Why the fuck does Xavier look like Maker, surely they knew people would connect the two since its Hickman.
- The concept of the story is so wild and makes so much sense, like Cyke himself said, "how long did you think we would keep taking it".

Powers of X #1

- Art isnt as good, still decent tho.
- Multiple timelines already, Hickman wasting no time with the crazy stuff.
- Wiseass Nimrod is not something I knew I wanted. This first future is very DoFP tho.
- Green costume Magneto eww!
- No idea what to expect from the second,
(or further) future.
- Weird that this immediately establishes that Sinister betrayed them, since I know hes part of the Krakoa crew.
- I love the info dump pages btw, on both books.

Great start, Hickman is so cray cray.

Oct 25, 2017
whats funny about fallen angels is it doesn't even really set up psylocke in anyway, we got more from her in Excalibur than in FA.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
House of X #1

- damn great art
- this Krakoa stuff is such Hickman crazy bullshit, I love it
- yay Magneto has that dope ass white costume again. Lol at Cyclops and the F4 meeting.
- Why the fuck does Xavier look like Maker, surely they knew people would connect the two since its Hickman.
- The concept of the story is so wild and makes so much sense, like Cyke himself said, "how long did you think we would keep taking it".

Powers of X #1

- Art isnt as good, still decent tho.
- Multiple timelines already, Hickman wasting no time with the crazy stuff.
- Wiseass Nimrod is not something I knew I wanted. This first future is very DoFP tho.
- Green costume Magneto eww!
- No idea what to expect from the second,
(or further) future.
- Weird that this immediately establishes that Sinister betrayed them, since I know hes part of the Krakoa crew.
- I love the info dump pages btw, on both books.

Great start, Hickman is so cray cray.

Oh my I'm loving this. Such nostalgia. Please keep us appraised of your impressions. HoxPox is out of this world good.

Those twelve weeks when this came out were so fun to talk about.

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
Can Jean Grey get another callsign? Marvel Girl, really? Or is it a just me issue?

I keep holding out hope that the outfit and code name are part of some big Hickman twist because I hate them! Jean progressed so much in X-Men Red and her treatment in the Hickman run seems to have regressed her.

That being said, I do love her living situation up on the moon and her occasional flirting with Emma. She's had incredible scenes in X of Swords and King in Black too so I'm still a very happy Jean stan.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
Duggan and Lolli have redeemed Kitty for me. I haven't really been a fan of hers since she came back from the giant alien space bullet but Jerry writes her so well and Matteo's facial expressions are some of the best I e seen. They give her so much more character.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
HOUSE OF X #2

This fucking Moira and Destiny scene was everything and my mind is full of fuck right now back to the issue

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Powers of X #2

- fuck me this art is fantastic.
- y'all Scott Summers haters suck, he's a badass.
- I love Nimrod The Lesser. A lot.
- fuck yeah Apocalypse.
- x+1000 stuff is so mindfucky.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I thought he was during the 198 Era but turns out I was just remembering when he became a horseman of Apocalypse.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
Quick and dirty DoX rankings after 4 issues each....

1. Marauders
2. New Mutants
3. X-Force
4. X-Men
5. Excalibur

6. Fallen Angels

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Powers of X #2

Screen-Shot-2019-08-16-at-9.42.21-AM.png

tenor.gif
Still

Powers of X #3 was the hypest shit my goodness. I'm gonna miss Nimrod if we're done with that timeline tho. Also the art in Powers of X from this R.B. Silva is fucking amazing, I'm not sure why I didn't really care for it in the first issue, I checked and it's the same artist. Still no Emma btw and I'm getting bummed out now :(

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
House of X #3 and #4

- I absolutely love this idea that there are no more X-Men per-se, and "evil mutants" and whatnot. There are mutants, period. Scott's strike team has Mystique in it for example. I also love that the endgame is machines / A.I., because that goes right to the core of what the x-men always was. I fucking love Hickman man.
- Court scene with Sabretooth and Emma coming in for the rescue was hype. Also speaking of Emma...well, there she is lol :D
- Damn, that human wasnt kidding around to protect the mother mold, just blows himself and the x-men up. I guess this is where the "mutants just get ressurected in krakoa" thing will be introduced (yes I know about that, I know about a lot of the plot points, it's fine I don't mind, just saying it so you guys don't worry about spoilers, not only do I not mind spoilers, but I'm in a 2 year old spoiler thread, I'm here at my own volition lol)
- Fuck me that was bleak. I guess you peeps reading it live at the time had to assume the strike team wasn't actually dead for realsies, but was the ressurection in krakoa idea already floating around?

Question: Who is this Omega Sentinel Karima again? Because Kurt seems to know her. That's the frist character so far I can't seem to place.

Last edited:

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
- Fuck me that was bleak. I guess you peeps reading it live at the time had to assume the strike team wasn't actually dead for realsies, but was the ressurection in krakoa idea already floating around?
Check out page 65 of this thread, that's where we were at the time. We were pretty sure there was some sort of hax going on, but the resurrection thing wasn't even a thought.

Question: Who is this Omega Sentinel Katrina again? Because Kurt seems to know her. That's the frist character so far I can't seem to place.
She was an on-and-off member of the X-Men during the 2000s.

marvel.fandom.com

Karima Shapandar (Earth-616)

Karima Shapandar was an Indian National Police officer who has been infected with Omega Sentinel technology and has become a machine equipped with state-of-the-art technology aimed at exterminating mutants. Thanks to the efforts of Professor Charles Xavier and Magneto, she overcame her lethal...

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Powers of X #4

- Yay Sinister. This whole scene was wonderful. And I guess there's the retcon to Sinister being a mutant then?
- Also Xavier does the "you'll forget we ever met and do your work until the time I activate you" thing as expected, which I imagine is how most of this will bypass the "HOW DID EVERYTHING ELSE CANNONICALLY STILL HAPPEN" arguments, and I'm fine with it, its a simple but expected solution.
- The year X1000 stuff continues to be... weird.

House of X #5

- Goldballs is a major player in Hickman's X-Men. I repeat, Goldballs is instrumental. The ressurection proccess is more involved than I expected, doesn't this mean if one of these 5 key mutants dies they can't do the whole thing anymore?
- Either way the whole thing feels super shady and morally...questionable lol :D
- This whole mutant society thing feels very cult-y, such a crazy direction to go with the franchise.
- This list of countries that don't support the Krakoa State... Wakanda's reason is just "THEY DON'T NEED MUTANT DRUGS" lol
- Apocalypse: "for years I fostered war to assure mutant dominance and now look at all of you, I couldn't be more proud" yeeeeeeeeeah this is super weird and shady indeed and I love it lol.

Powers of X #5

- All the Xavier / Magneto / Emma stuff was wonderful dialogue, but not much happens in this one, a lot of setup.
- the X1000 stuff continues to be...there I guess. The Librarian confused about the Phalanx wiping them all out by absorbing them is weird, I mean that's what they DO >_>

House of X #6

- this fucking ruling council is two thirds made of the biggest villains in X-Men history...COME ON CHARLES YOU KNOW THIS WILL GO SIDEWAYS lol
- Sabretooth being double mind whammied by Emma and Jean, and then judged as a loser, bad day for Mr.Creed haha.
- They are STILL very careful about not showing Xavier's face, even when he was helmet-less they didnt show it, weird...

Powers of X #6

- I had a feeling x1000 = Moira 6 :D
- what a crazy setup this all was. The scope of it is gigantic, very much like Hickman's previous shit.

Absolutely loved it, really excited to be reading comics again, I sure missed it. On to all the Dawn of X stuff then!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Your posts reminds me how great it was to read this weekly along with everyone else, the HOX/POX event was amazing, perhaps I should run through it again

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really liking the reactions for the first time, amazing how much foundation was laid in 10 issues.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
X-Men #1

- Don't like Yu's art :(
- Honestly a bit of a boring first issue. Felt very... non-Hickman, nothing much happens, and the Summer family / Starjammers reunion didn't do much for me.
- Why does Wolverine live with the Summer clan lol.
- Why is Cable a teenager? I assume this was pre-Hickman stuff?
- I don't know Vulcan (I know he's the fabled third brother) so him being there also does nothing for me.

Marauders #1

- not sure how I feel about the art, I love how some characters look (Kate) but hate others (Bobby)
- love how funny it is, not surprised since its a Duggan book.
- Kate, Iceman, Storm, Pyro, Bihop? I'm down with this team.
- So we just gonna be having pirate adventures? I'm in, this was fun.

Excalibur #1

- art is alright
- wtf is a Otherworld?
- ok so Betsy is... Betsy the non-ninja telepath again now, and Psylocke is a different person right?
- I don't really know who her brother is or why it matters he's back. I was never big on any Excalibur throughout the years tbh, so I don't really care about Captain Britain either. And I also don't know who this Trinary is :/
- Good guy Apoc is great. Rogue and Gambit being here is also automatically a plus since I was always a fanboy of both (speaking of, I need to check that Mr and Mrs X book)
- Betsy as a new Captain Britain is cool, assuming the other Psylocke (Kwanon was it?) is still Psylocke, wouldnt make sense to have two.