• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it's the artwork that turns me off. Every character has that wacky look to their face and I can't take it. Every character is always making faces like this:
uCm59FvZW2fyeqMZAfY7wY.jpg

images

It's too cartoony for me

Same. I dropped it after the first issue because I couldn't stand the art.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it's the artwork that turns me off. Every character has that wacky look to their face and I can't take it. Every character is always making faces like this:
uCm59FvZW2fyeqMZAfY7wY.jpg

images

It's too cartoony for me
Yup, I like X-Factor but the art is a turnoff. They keep making that same dumb shocked face or smiling at inappropriate times. Like, I don't need edgelord art, but can you tone down the X-men Evolution faces and body proportions please?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, I like X-Factor but the art is a turnoff. They keep making that same dumb shocked face or smiling at inappropriate times. Like, I don't need edgelord art, but can you tone the X-men Evolution faces and body proportions please?
First this and now Brett Booth. Marvel better not let Greg Land back into the X-Men books.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
isn't scott fucking polaris right now? that oughta be fun at least - what with him holding hands with jean last issue

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
isn't scott fucking polaris right now? that oughta be fun at least - what with him holding hands with jean last issue

... No? Where on earth did you get that idea. And Jean definitely has a physical relationship with Wolverine at this point. That's an open (or semi open) relationship.

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm late to the party on X of Swords, if I want to catch up on that is there a collected version of it yet or if not what series/issues do I need to look into?

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
... No? Where on earth did you get that idea. And Jean definitely has a physical relationship with Wolverine at this point. That's an open (or semi open) relationship.

i'll have to find the issue. scott & lorna were walking alone together, and it was very flirty

jean & logan were banging in a panel in x-force, and scott & emma are together too - it's all open, for sure but still could lea to drama

So I'm late to the party on X of Swords, if I want to catch up on that is there a collected version of it yet or if not what series/issues do I need to look into?

Excalibur #12 (Prelude)
Written by Tini Howard. Art by Marcus To.

X-Men #12 (Prelude)
Written by Jonathan Hickman. Art by Leinil Francis Yu.

X-Men: X of Swords: Creation #1 (Part 1)
Written by Jonathan Hickman. Art by Pepe Larraz.

X-Factor #4 (Part 2)
Written by Leah Williams. Art by Carlos Gomez.

Wolverine #6 (Part 3)
Written by Benjamin Percy. Art by Viktor Bogdanovic.

X-Force #13 (Part 4)

Marauders #13 (Part 5)
Written by Vita Ayala. Art by Matteo Lolli.

Hellions #5 (Part 6)
Written by Zeb Wells. Art by Carmen Carnero.

New Mutants #13 (Part 7)
Written by Ed Brisson. Art by Rod Reis.

Cable #5 (Part 8)
Written by Gerry Duggan. Art by Phil Noto.

Excalibur #13 (Part 9)
Written by Tini Howard. Art by R.B Silva.
Available October 21st.
X-Men #13 (Part 10)
Written by Jonathan Hickman. Art by Mahmud Asrar.
Available October 21st.
X-Men: X of Swords: Stasis #1 (Part 11)
Written by Tini Howard and Jonathan Hickman. Art by Pepe Larraz and Mahmud Asrar.
Available October 28th.
X-Men #14 (Part 12)
Written by Jonathan Hickman. Art by Mahmud Asrar and Leinil Francis Yu.
Available November 4th.
Marauders #14 (Part 13)
Written by Gerry Duggan and Benjamin Percy. Art by Stefano Caselli.
Available November 4th.
Marauders #15 (Part 14)
Available November 11th.
Excalibur #14 (Part 15)
Written by Tini Howard. Art by Phil Noto.
Available November 11th.
Wolverine #7 (Part 16)
Written by Benjamin Percy and Gerry Duggan. Art by Joshua Cassara.
Available November 11th.
X-Force #14 (Part 17)
Available November 18th.
Hellions #6 (Part 18)
Available November 18th.
Cable #6 (Part 19)
Available November 18th.
X-Men #15 (Part 20)
Available November 25th.
Excalibur #12 (Part 21)
Written by Tini Howard. Art by Mahmud Asrar.
Available November 25th.
X-Men: X of Swords: Destruction #1 (Final Part)
Written by Jonathan Hickman and Tini Howard. Art by Pepe Larraz.
Available November 25th.

Oct 27, 2017
i'll have to find the issue. scott & lorna were walking alone together, and it was very flirty

jean & logan were banging in a panel in x-force, and scott & emma are together too - it's all open, for sure but still could lea to drama

Excalibur #12 (Prelude)
Written by Tini Howard. Art by Marcus To.

X-Men #12 (Prelude)
Written by Jonathan Hickman. Art by Leinil Francis Yu.

X-Men: X of Swords: Creation #1 (Part 1)
Written by Jonathan Hickman. Art by Pepe Larraz.

X-Factor #4 (Part 2)
Written by Leah Williams. Art by Carlos Gomez.

Wolverine #6 (Part 3)

X-Force #13 (Part 4)

Marauders #13 (Part 5)
Written by Vita Ayala. Art by Matteo Lolli.

Hellions #5 (Part 6)

New Mutants #13 (Part 7)
Written by Ed Brisson. Art by Rod Reis.

Cable #5 (Part 8)

Excalibur #13 (Part 9)
Written by Tini Howard. Art by R.B Silva.
Available October 21st.
X-Men #13 (Part 10)
Available October 21st.
X-Men: X of Swords: Stasis #1 (Part 11)
Written by Tini Howard and Jonathan Hickman. Art by Pepe Larraz and Mahmud Asrar.
Available October 28th.
X-Men #14 (Part 12)
Written by Jonathan Hickman. Art by Mahmud Asrar and Leinil Francis Yu.
Available November 4th.
Marauders #14 (Part 13)
Available November 4th.
Marauders #15 (Part 14)
Available November 11th.
Excalibur #14 (Part 15)
Written by Tini Howard. Art by Phil Noto.
Available November 11th.
Wolverine #7 (Part 16)
Available November 11th.
X-Force #14 (Part 17)
Available November 18th.
Hellions #6 (Part 18)
Available November 18th.
Cable #6 (Part 19)
Available November 18th.
X-Men #15 (Part 20)
Available November 25th.
Excalibur #12 (Part 21)
Written by Tini Howard. Art by Mahmud Asrar.
Available November 25th.
X-Men: X of Swords: Destruction #1 (Final Part)
Written by Jonathan Hickman and Tini Howard. Art by Pepe Larraz.
Available November 25th.
Dope, thanks!

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Yup, I like X-Factor but the art is a turnoff. They keep making that same dumb shocked face or smiling at inappropriate times. Like, I don't need edgelord art, but can you tone the X-men Evolution faces and body proportions please?
Yea i stopped buying it mainly because I can't stand the faces they make. I'll get around to reading it on unlimited way later.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Honestly they should have left any character with a major role in a different book off the poll if it meant taking them out of their previous book.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it's the copium talking but what if the ten choices we have are actually the whole next X-Men team? That roster, with Cyke and Jean on top of the list, looks pretty good. I just don't see Hickman wanting to write Berto or Sam without the other.

#XAnon

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Maybe it's the copium talking but what if the ten choices we have are actually the whole next X-Men team? That roster, with Cyke and Jean on top of the list, looks pretty good. I just don't see Hickman wanting to write Berto or Sam without the other.

#XAnon

As others have mentioned, polaris being pulled off X factor for this book isn't really a great thing, and it's been made clear that's what will happen.

The second issue is more of a personal thing for me- Sam is married with a child and "settled down" in Shi'ar space. It kind of feels like his story is "done" at least in the sense that he shouldn't really be a core member of a team book anymore.

Occasional appearances sure. Full time resident member? Nah. Let the dude have his happy ending.

DJConvoy

Jan 8, 2021
I'm happy with the art on pretty much all of the books (save the new addition of Booth). I'm not a big Leniel Yu fan these days, but I sure loved him when he started on Wolverine 8 million years ago.

The real revelation for me has been Rod Reis, particularly when he gets a little tiny bit Sienkewicz-y. Noto has been doing a great job on Cable, as well... really understated but excellent.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
It was extremely early on- like X-Men #1 or something. Don't remember them interacting since.

That? It's the exact opposite of flirty. Scott invites Lorna to come for a visit home with him and his family (to the Summers house on the blue area of the moon), explicitly pointing out that Alex Summers will be there. Alex, who Lorna had a relationship with forever that ended on weird terms.

Lorna declines, for obvious reasons.

Scott spends the rest of that conversation talking about how awesome and terrifying being a father is. edit: Amusingly, at no point does Scott even make eye contact or turn around to face Lorna during that conversation. He spends the entire thing walking several paces ahead of her and talking more "at" her than "to" her.

I don't know how you get "they're sleeping together" out of that.

Last edited:

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Why did they even put Polaris on the poll if it meant taking her off another book that's just getting started? And they had to know she's the most well known of them.

Seems like a CONSPIRACY to me.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
And why don't we draw old XFactor costumes for the hell of it! So weird.
I missed this earlier.

Hickman already said we were going to see the costumes from every era of X-Books as it's now treated as mutant fashion instead of super hero costumes.

The versions we saw in the issue were also my favorite looks from that Era of X-Factor. At least Cyke was wearing a hood.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, why? I'm no X-book expert, but I loved the art of the most recent X-Men issue. It reminded me of the early 90's look.
That's why. Brett Booth is a 90s artist who never improved his style. As opposed to someone like Greg Capullo who is always striving to hone his skill.

Brett has been doing a ton of DC stuff and I'm just tired of him. He's been doing Flash forever and The Flash always has the same running pose with abnormally long legs.
comics-brett-booth-flash.jpg

151bf37f18c112fa69408d79f68db677.jpg

Flash-Forward-4-Art.jpg

Also he's a real asshole and the people who write about the comics for Xavier Files announced they will stop writing about X-Men as long as Booth is on the the title.

Last edited:

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
That's why. Brett Booth is a 90s artist who never improved his style. As opposed to someone like Greg Capullo who is always striving to hone his skill.

Brett has been doing a ton of DC stuff and I'm just tired of him. He's been doing Flash forever and The Flash always has the same running pose with abnormally long legs.
comics-brett-booth-flash.jpg

151bf37f18c112fa69408d79f68db677.jpg

Flash-Forward-4-Art.jpg

Also he's a real asshole and the people who write about the comics for Xavier Files announced they will stop writing about X-Men as long as Booth is on the the title.

Ooooooook, I've added him to my "trash" file. Thank you for the heads up.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Still want to see Cannonball regardless of his family.

speaking of quitting a book over cartoony art, I still havent forgiven Brett Blevins for ruining the OG New Mutants.
NewMutants.jpg

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So right after HoX/PoX I fell off cause my device took a beating. Now I'm gonna go hard back into it with Dawn of X, and I hear Swords of X finished too. I'm just really afraid that there'll be a bunch of stuff along the way I either won't understand, or stuff that'll fly over my head. Can't lie, I'm intimidated. Although HoX/PoX is one of the best graphic novel stories I've ever read so I'm real excited!

Also, I voted for Marrow for the new team cause I got nostalgia for her. Sorry Polaris, but you've taken the spot my fave mutant The Pretender used to have.

Oct 25, 2017
So right after HoX/PoX I fell off cause my device took a beating. Now I'm gonna go hard back into it with Dawn of X, and I hear Swords of X finished too. I'm just really afraid that there'll be a bunch of stuff along the way I either won't understand, or stuff that'll fly over my head. Can't lie, I'm intimidated. Although HoX/PoX is one of the best graphic novel stories I've ever read so I'm real excited!

Also, I voted for Marrow for the new team cause I got nostalgia for her. Sorry Polaris, but you've taken the spot my fave mutant The Pretender used to have.

If I had to pick one must read outside of the highlighted Swords issues, and this is entirely my opinion, it's Marauders. After that I think Excalibur is worth it as it has a bunch of scene setting for the event. Hellions for the absolutely hilarious Sinister writing.

Honestly they've all been good (I don't have Wolverine or Cable so can't speak to those).

Fallen Angels we just don't speak of.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just gonna read through it all. I'm almost done with Vol. 1, so far Marauders and Excalibur have been real good. X-Men and The New Mutants to a lesser extent. But I'm only on issue #1 of each of them. Next up for me is X-Force and Fallen Angels. I might read one volume a night and catch up that way.

I'm not entirely sure if I like the whole Krakoa mutant nation-state status quo, or if I prefer the classic way of having mutants live among humans. It's an interesting evolution nonetheless.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
If you are just trying to catch up with the essentials X-Men, Excalibur and Hellions are the most important until you get to X of a Swords.

However I would highly recommend Marauders, Cable, New Mutants, X-Force as well.

Wolverine is good as well but less important and hit and miss for most people.

I personally love X-Factor but I know the art work is a turn off for many.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just gonna read through it all. I'm almost done with Vol. 1 so far Marauders and Excalibur have been real good. X-Men and The New Mutants to a lesser extent. But I'm only on issue #1 of each of the. Next up for me is X-Force and Fallen Angels.

I'm not entirely sure if I like the whole Krakoa mutant nation-state status quo, or if I prefer the classic way of having mutants live among humans. It's interesting nonetheless.

Please just skip Fallen Angels, please. I'm telling you it's not worth it. It's universally loathed and hated.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Fallen Angels had potential but the writing fell off the wall, and the writer really didn't understand many of the characters he used.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
First issue of Fallen Angels was interesting. Getting some background stuff on Psylocke and how she's back from being possessed by Betty. I like that she can't rest with peace and needs a purpose. Looking forward to where it's going with her baby and such, but of course I'm wary with all the bad impressions for this series. I enjoyed all of them to some degree. Marauders, Excalibur and X-Force most; it's good to have Domino here.

Onto Dawn of X Vol. 2 tonight!