• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Can't get S.W.O.R.D. #1 out of my head, that book had it all. Beatiful visuals, funny character interactions, politics, big concepts and a killer cliffhanger. Al Ewing is such a cool catch for the X-Team. I need the next issue ASAP.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
These motherfuckers just teleported past the Source Wall into the Overvoid* on day one. Shit was hype.

*The Far Shore being Marvel's version of the Source Wall since it's the last thing before the edge of the universe out into nothing, which is the Outside, and that's just the Overvoid.
They brought back a piece of Element X to build a Miracle Machine.
Only if Ewing retcons Exospace as being outside rather than in-between like the Superflow/Bleedm, but yes!

#hypercrisis

Mom my brain hurts

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
So based on that first issue, and specifically those juicy pages, what are the odds on this series being something of a followup on Ewings Ultimate's run?

Oct 26, 2017
Voted Kid Cable because the family dynamic is the best thing Cable has done since he went toe to toe with the Silver Surfer while holding up an island.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
So based on that first issue, and specifically those juicy pages, what are the odds on this series being something of a followup on Ewings Ultimate's run?
Ultimates, Guardians, No Surrender, and Immortal Hulk.

The Far Shore and what exists beyond it officially deputed there and the WHR is in The Outside. The pyramid is likely the same as the one from No Surrender, which is made out of Iso-8.

We got references to space, and there's no way Ewing isn't going to close the loop and bring in Hulk.

Hell, Rogue is as connected to the Green Door as everyone in that book, and such a basic X hook is the prefect excuse to feature it.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
I read somewhere that the item they retrieved was an orchis power source, which is also what storm is holding in the reign of x teaser.

If true, how did orchis have one? Also if true, why would mutants need a power source that a sentinel base would need. Seems unlikely it's just "so they can't have it". Unless it's just something else lol

Either way, instantly a super interesting book

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I read somewhere that the item they retrieved was an orchis power source, which is also what storm is holding in the reign of x teaser.

If true, how did orchis have one? Also if true, why would mutants need a power source that a sentinel base would need. Seems unlikely it's just "so they can't have it". Unless it's just something else lol

Either way, instantly a super interesting book
Unless Orchis has a mound of Iso-8, I doubt it.

Unless they got Scientist Supreme level people from AIM.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
Unless Orchis has a mound of Iso-8, I doubt it.

Unless they got Scientist Supreme level people from AIM.
Oh it was confirmed as iso8? I wonder what it's for then lol

I think it felt it could have been orchis related since nimrod is in the reign of x teaser too and he and bastion both have that triangle shape on their chest. Maybe to avoid another chance of nimrod being made?

Aside that, I got a feeling reading the book that the team is going to be used to help make mutants more dominant in other realities. And to bring the chimera mutants into it. No idea where that feeling came from and probably unwise anyway lol

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017

I think it felt it could have been orchis related since nimrod is in the reign of x teaser too and he and bastion both have that triangle shape on their chest. Maybe to avoid another chance of nimrod being made?

Aside that, I got a feeling reading the book that the team is going to be used to help make mutants more dominant in other realities. And to bring the chimera mutants into it. No idea where that feeling came from and probably unwise anyway lol

I still contend that the mutant kiddos in Children of the Atom in January are gonna be proto-Chimeras. Sinister was told he could not make clones, but beings with the mutant powers of an X-Man with an otherwise different genetic makeup and personality? That's the base for a Chimera right there.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

Hasn't been confirmed, but it looks like the pyramid from No Surrender, which was made up of Iso-8.

It could be that Orchis could be trying to retrieve Iso-8 too, given that it's essentially another reality warping shit and AIM can't be the only black ops paramilitary science organization having or wanting access to reality warping shit.

The chimera mutants should already be on Krakoa, though.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
I still contend that the mutant kiddos in Children of the Atom in January are gonna be proto-Chimeras. Sinister was told he could not make clones, but beings with the mutant powers of an X-Man with an otherwise different genetic makeup and personality? That's the base for a Chimera right there.
That sounds plausible. Not to dunk on the characters, but they are "nobodies" and that usually kinda feels there is more to the story than new important major characters. If not, maybe it had something to do with the resurrection protocols causing issues maybe?

Hasn't been confirmed, but it looks like the pyramid from No Surrender, which was made up of Iso-8.

It could be that Orchis could be trying to retrieve Iso-8 too, given that it's essentially another reality warping shit and AIM can't be the only black ops paramilitary science organization having or wanting access to reality warping shit.

The chimera mutants should already be on Krakoa, though.
Oh okay, I tried googling it and the ultimates version was more "unshaped" so I wasn't so sure.

I think the mutants saying how important "the six" is and their first mission is Grabbing this with ease probably tells us a lot. It's a start, not an end goal. I guess that's why it's so interesting to see what comes next

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds plausible. Not to dunk on the characters, but they are "nobodies" and that usually kinda feels there is more to the story than new important major characters. If not, maybe it had something to do with the resurrection protocols causing issues maybe?

Oh okay, I tried googling it and the ultimates version was more "unshaped" so I wasn't so sure.

I think the mutants saying how important "the six" is and their first mission is Grabbing this with ease probably tells us a lot. It's a start, not an end goal. I guess that's why it's so interesting to see what comes next
Iso-8 as it appeared in Ultimates was the raw form, Iso-8 in No Surrender (and Contest of Champions before it) was molded to be used as an artifact/weapon/mcguffin.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Marauders was so damn good.

SWORD was also fantastic even though a lot of that flew over my head (No pun intended). I love Al Ewing's work. Still thinking about Doom's quote in the end and what the hell that thing was they brought back

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
EozSN9BXcAADeTv.jpg

It's funny because in Strange Academy Magento wants to connect with Wanda and Pietro i wonder if we would get Magneto full opinion or Scarlet Witch is staying on the Avengers side of marvel .....sometimes

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
EozSN9BXcAADeTv.jpg

It's funny because in Strange Academy Magento wants to connect with Wanda and Pietro i wonder if we would get Magneto full opinion or Scarlet Witch is staying on the Avengers side of marvel .....sometimes
My guess is that on one side he has to denounce her because that is the official policy. But in his heart he wants to reconnect with her because she is his daughter as far as he's concerned

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Was psyched about Sword, but this corner of the universe is starting to get on my nerve with being up it's own ass

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished X of Swords, Braddock sucks and is incredibly self-centered. People have married, died, and killed to save their universes but he won't give it up to her Whyness? Gonna take a gamble that all of his friends die instead?

It doesn't even make sense. Also, X of Swords was a nothing event as a whole, so kinda disappointed.

Moving on. S.W.O.R.D. has a cool start. Honestly what hyped me most is the Doom quote at the end. When the GAWD says be careful, well

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
is Sauron on Krakoa? If Sinister is there, Sauron has a right to it as well

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like New Mutants is going to be diving into a couple of the questions hanging over Krakoa. Manmademan Amahl Farouk backstory as well as what he's up to now. And dealing with the question of clones and resurrection.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
So it looks like New Mutants is going to be diving into a couple of the questions hanging over Krakoa. Manmademan Amahl Farouk backstory as well as what he's up to now. And dealing with the question of clones and resurrection.

Funny you tagged me, I just finished reading that issue 5 minutes ago.

There's a fun retcon there with Farouk being *way* older than anybody thought, but it seems interesting so far.

Farouk is back from the dead somehow, but apparently *not* through the resurrection protocols, and is still very much a villain.

The clone question is a good one, but I think hellions kinda/sorta addressed a lot of it.

Pryor wasn't "just" a clone, she was an insane one long considered a violation of Jean Grey, and most incarnations of her even alternate ones were extremely unstable. Even before the question of "should she be resurrected" arose 616 Pryor was obsessed with being rejected by Krakoa, implying that she knew she could never go anywhere near that place, let alone be resurrected.

The kids point out that Mr. Sinister has done a ton of bad things and is on council and while that's true, Sinister, Apocalypse, Gorgon, Exodus etc. All agreed to abide by Krakoan law in exchange for amnesty. Pryor absolutely would not have and likely would not have been able to if she tried. Selene Gallio *absolutely* should be in the pit with Sabretooth by now after what she pulled in Captain America though.

The marauders encountered in Hellions (sans Greycrow) are all clones at this point and have been for a long time. Sinister has been pumping out copies of them as cannon fodder since the 90s, the originals (Sabretooth aside) are long gone. The council permitted them to stay and integrate into Krakoan society anyway

Edit: I think the explanation of Evan still being "in the queue" is a likely one- editorial clarified that the "Apocalypse and the Extracts" issues where he died are still very much in Canon and En Sabah Nur considered Evan his child who was critical to his emotional growth, not just a copy. He would have lobbied hard to have him back if it came before the council.

Last edited:

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
I don't think farouk is a villain even though the plot seems to be suggesting he is.

Also, Evan was a good kid and definitely deserves to be resurrected. Maybe Apoc was holding him back but now that he is gone... Who knows?

Mind you, all my predictions in XoS were wrong sooo...

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
I don't think farouk is a villain even though the plot seems to be suggesting he is.

Also, Evan was a good kid and definitely deserves to be resurrected. Maybe Apoc was holding him back but now that he is gone... Who knows?

I'm wondering if Apocalypse kept Evan in the queue while the Arakko stuff was still being sorted out. Keep the kid safe and out of sight until Apocalypse got all of his other family drama in order, and then introduce Evan. But now that -A- is gone, I wonder if the two of them will ever reunite.

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
I actually agree that this is a swerve and Farouk's trying to be more like he was before his father died. He's just being incredibly weird and creepy about it because that's the only way he knows how to be.
I mean, it could be that he never grew up since he was possessed at a young age. He could still be a kid/teenager in an adult's body...

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Hickman's "rules vs laws" line in that previous AIPT interview really seemed to clarify what is and isn't actually on the table and this seems to gel with that.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I find funny that due to being dead for so long, Petra is younger than the New Mutants.
Loved seeing Dust, she is among my favorites!
And yeah, the ruling on Madelyne has so many holes... I see that this will be explored later.

Still haven't read X-Force.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

My read on this is that Farouk isn't supposed to be on Krakoa and was not in the resurrection queue.

Notice how he isn't mentioned in the character lineup at the front of the book like everyone else is. He also appeared in the Empyre mini in error for a single page with every other telepath before being yanked from that series and never mentioned again. He's not supposed to be on Krakoa.

The nightmares that Karma has been having are because Shadow King is messing with her mind. The hatred she felt in her dreams was his. Karma was traumatized by Farouk by what he did to her which is why she's being targeted. If anyone had any idea he was there he would be prime suspect #1 for her nightmares.

The prologue is pretty clear- shadow king has been under the influence of a malevolent entity since the sixteenth century. He is WAY older than previously thought and completely evil.

Farouk has been influencing the children by luring them to out of the way places so he won't be caught. Recall that Anole says they "shouldn't have come." They're not supposed to be there.

Edit: also worth mentioning is that Xavier killed Farouk long before forming the Xmen in the 70s or 80s (though I'm not sure exactly when that happened, given marvel time etc).

He's been a strictly Astral entity that manifests on earth by possessing other people's bodies ever since. I'm not sure how he would even get resurrected in the first place. His DNA would be long gone.

Last edited:

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
There is no evidence to suggest that Farouk is still possessed by the shadow king.

Also, Farouk showed up to defend krakoa when they called for psychics, so they know he is there

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
There is no evidence to suggest that Farouk is still possessed by the shadow king.

Also, Farouk showed up to defend krakoa when they called for psychics, so they know he is there

The book goes out of its way to clarify that Farouk and the entity that turned him into the shadow king have been a "thing" since the 16th century, and not the 1930s as the original story went. They've been the same thing for hundreds of years now and Farouk has been killed A LOT and always comes back with it.

As pointed out, Sinister wouldn't even have Farouk's DNA, as his body was long dead before Xavier and Magneto approached Sinister to begin collecting mutant DNA. There's no way to resurrect him. Every appearance of shadow king in Xmen has been as an astral entity possessing someone else.

His appearance in Empyre was clearly an error (as I went into at length at the time), as he only appeared in a splash page at the end of one book, didn't show up in any scenes after that while everyone else did, AND was using the "half spider" form that is only possible on the astral plane. That's not his body and never has been.

Given how Xmen: Empyre was written, that's an understandable mistake.

edit: also worth considering- it was a plot point that every host Farouk takes ends up becoming grossly obese because he has a predilection to excess. That's why Karma ended up looking like this

bc976284059b4d225dc08690ff15130d.jpg

when he took her body. If Farouk was legitimately resurrected through the protocols, why is he hiding in a remote cave instead of stuffing his face on the beach with everyone else?

Last edited:

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
The Shadow King entity got got for what may have been the first time in their history together which may well have actually separated him from it for the first time since he was a child.

He's residing on Krakoa and not in a black habitat, so there's no way the council wouldn't know he's there between Krakoa itself and Black Tom.

DNA has a half life of 521 years, so Sinister would have no problem getting his hands on Farouk's DNA if he wanted it and could find his corpse. Which, I mean, it's Sinister. He isn't going to have trouble finding a corpse.

The big question is whether or not Xavier had the Cerebro protocols up and running before the last time Farouk died.

Having said that, Karma's nightmares are obviously tied to his presence. I think the swerve is going to be that the Shadow King entity is back, but Farouk isn't possessed by it.

Watch it be in that kid who's a brain in a jar.