• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Isca is a precog in the proper sense, more like varometer that is pulled by her powers to do what they are meant to do.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I don't think Isca is a precog in the proper sense, more like varometer that is pulled by her powers to do what they are meant to do.

I'm on board with this. No reason to think she's any kind of precog unless she literally sits down to get into a "precog contest" with someone.

That being said, Arrako has millions of mutants on it, so there is definitely going to be one in there somewhere.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'd assume Isca went back to Amenth since she wasn't aligned with but against Arrako previously. Also her sword went back and she's part of the Apocalypse fam.

I agree an Arrako rep should probably take Apocalypse's seat but none of the XOS contestants really make much sense so I figure it'll be someone new. For Jean's seat I'd guess another longtime "leadership material" X-Man like maybe Banshee, Archangel, Mirage, Cannonball or Sunspot. Dani would be nice in particular given Scott passed her over for Illyana with the Captains.

Oct 26, 2017
I'd assume Isca went back to Amenth since she wasn't aligned with but against Arrako previously. Also her sword went back and she's part of the Apocalypse fam.

I agree an Arrako rep should probably take Apocalypse's seat but none of the XOS contestants really make much sense so I figure it'll be someone new. For Jean's seat I'd guess another longtime "leadership material" X-Man like maybe Banshee, Archangel, Mirage, Cannonball or Sunspot. Dani would be nice in particular given Scott passed her over for Illyana with the Captains.

She's specifically noted as being on Arakko.

Last edited:

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pet peeve: It's Arakko, not Arrako. Arakko is an anagram of Krakoa, which is an anagram of Okkara.

(I fully accept that I'll need to die mad here though.)

Oct 26, 2017

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, though neither is Sinister and that's what makes him a great member. :P

Look at this and tell me Sinister is not council material

EoCL6MyXcAIKUvz

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Beast is good precisely because y'all hate him so. They're doing a great job with him! Excited for X-Force to get back to their fuckery.

The Off-Panel podcast episode with Hickman is a good re-listen this far out from it/the start of Dawn of X. He talks a lot about how what they're trying to do is just have fun with the books, that there is still drama, but the difference is that the books are designed to not just actively upset people. We've seen ourselves now, the team just isn't so constantly on their back feet and there's much less infighting. This is going to be their directive for "a couple of years" if sales stay strong, so it's looking like Reign of X is going to be More Fun Comics.

Of course he's asked about Franklin at the tail end of the interview and he also mentions that he did ask Carey to do a book with them, but he's entirely too busy. I had forgotten about that. That makes me wonder if Spurrier is going to be the one to do the Moira book.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
put
white sword
on
the
council

He doesn't wanna be on the council. I have a theory that Gorgon is going to come back as a pacifist, so I could see White Sword taking his position as a captain abd the councils bodyguard. That's useful because if you take into account his 100 guys, that gives the mutants their Secret Service.

It's gonna be Isca on the council.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
White Sword went back to Amenth (I double checked this time). I think it's worth pointing out not all mutants in Amenth were on or aligned with Arrako. Presumably the demonic crossbreeds stayed too.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Beast is good precisely because y'all hate him so. They're doing a great job with him! Excited for X-Force to get back to their fuckery.

The Off-Panel podcast episode with Hickman is a good re-listen this far out from it/the start of Dawn of X. He talks a lot about how what they're trying to do is just have fun with the books, that there is still drama, but the difference is that the books are designed to not just actively upset people. We've seen ourselves now, the team just isn't so constantly on their back feet and there's much less infighting. This is going to be their directive for "a couple of years" if sales stay strong, so it's looking like Reign of X is going to be More Fun Comics.

Of course he's asked about Franklin at the tail end of the interview and he also mentions that he did ask Carey to do a book with them, but he's entirely too busy. I had forgotten about that. That makes me wonder if Spurrier is going to be the one to do the Moira book.
Thanks to your post, I listened to the podcast episode. It's my first time listening to Hickman. I don't know what I was expecting, but he came across as a burnt out and disillusioned person. For those who know him better, is that accurate?

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
I want to take this time to point out that I was completely and totally wrong in regards to all my predictions for X of Swords... EXCEPT ONE

I had predicted that this was all part of Saturnyne's plan to unite the mutants!

Oct 26, 2017
I want to take this time to point out that I was completely and totally wrong in regards to all my predictions for X of Swords... EXCEPT ONE

I had predicted that this was all part of Saturnyne's plan to unite the mutants!

To be fair, uniting them was more Apocalypse hitting an angle she missed, her plan had them apart with, essentially, hostages.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
no one is asking the most important question, which is who gets to take up the duty of beating teenagers to death in the crucible now that Apocalypse is gone.

(I'll be surprised if the crucible geta brought up again or if we ever actually learn who voted for it)

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to your post, I listened to the podcast episode. It's my first time listening to Hickman. I don't know what I was expecting, but he came across as a burnt out and disillusioned person. For those who know him better, is that accurate?

I guess he didn't entirely cover it on the pod, but Avengers and then Secret Wars was a huge undertaking that clearly took a lot out of him. For all we knew he really was done with Marvel, which is why even just the rumors he was getting X-Men were exciting. In general though, the disillusion is relatively common with the better writers in the industry. Like Matt Fraction and Ed Brubaker sound the same way when they do interviews. The reality is DC and Marvel are putting out corporate comics and working in that environment seems to be both highly collaborative and stressful.

He's completely on the money with his take that the X-books were going to keep failing though, even as someone who enjoyed a lot of stuff from the period where he made that first pitch. The brand was decaying. We can argue until the cows come home about Fox having the film rights and Disney wanting to suppress the brand and w/e else, but the fact of the matter is that after 2015 or so, the books aren't even really a mixed bag anymore, X-Men was just a bad line of comics now, progressively getting worse. I think it's particularly interesting that the Rosenberg run seems to embody every problem Hickman is playing at. The narratives are repetitive, the drama is upsetting in a bad way, the deaths are cheap shock value, and the mutant metaphor is aging poorly and not saving anyone or anything from mediocrity. I'm sure he wasn't very kind in that first Powers pitch, but he sure was right.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I guess he didn't entirely cover it on the pod, but Avengers and then Secret Wars was a huge undertaking that clearly took a lot out of him. For all we knew he really was done with Marvel, which is why even just the rumors he was getting X-Men were exciting. In general though, the disillusion is relatively common with the better writers in the industry. Like Matt Fraction and Ed Brubaker sound the same way when they do interviews. The reality is DC and Marvel are putting out corporate comics and working in that environment seems to be both highly collaborative and stressful.

He's completely on the money with his take that the X-books were going to keep failing though, even as someone who enjoyed a lot of stuff from the period where he made that first pitch. The brand was decaying. We can argue until the cows come home about Fox having the film rights and Disney wanting to suppress the brand and w/e else, but the fact of the matter is that after 2015 or so, the books aren't even really a mixed bag anymore, X-Men was just a bad line of comics now, progressively getting worse. I think it's particularly interesting that the Rosenberg run seems to embody every problem Hickman is playing at. The narratives are repetitive, the drama is upsetting in a bad way, the deaths are cheap shock value, and the mutant metaphor is aging poorly and not saving anyone or anything from mediocrity. I'm sure he wasn't very kind in that first Powers pitch, but he sure was right.
I think that's spot on. He touched on some of those points during the interview, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you for bringing it up.

Huncho

Jun 10, 2020
I really like when Cyclops has interactions with the Champions. It helps forget the douchebag he once was.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hellions was interesting today, but I really loved X-Factor.
I'm glad to see some happiness and the teacher side of Emma.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really glad that X-Factor is back, fun quiet issue.

Hellions was neat, fucking Clive lol. Interesting that ressurecting from Arakko leads to you being a supertuned version of yourself. I wonder if the reverse would work for Arakko mutants dying on Krakoa. Also what the fuck is Orphan Maker's ability that has Xavier all spooked.

Also both issues mention Gorgon's resurrection so I'm really interested to see how that ended up

Oct 26, 2017
Makes me think he's the 616 version of that kid Ultimate Wolverine had to kill.

That was my immediate thought too.

Really glad that X-Factor is back, fun quiet issue.

Hellions was neat, fucking Clive lol. Interesting that ressurecting from Arakko leads to you being a supertuned version of yourself. I wonder if the reverse would work for Arakko mutants dying on Krakoa. Also what the fuck is Orphan Maker's ability that has Xavier all spooked.

Also both issues mention Gorgon's resurrection so I'm really interested to see how that ended up

So my immediate thought was that they were implying that dying on any different plane(?) leads to some form of change. But then Wind Dancer happened and now I'm wondering what's special about Arakko here.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
So my immediate thought was that they were implying that dying on any different plane(?) leads to some form of change. But then Wind Dancer happened and now I'm wondering what's special about Arakko here.
Other World weirdness but not being directly in Otherworld would be my guess. Amenth links to Krakoa through Otherworld, but Mojo World has direct access.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
My guess is Orphan-Maker has some kind of chemical weapon or virus inside his suit, or maybe he is literally a virus and the suit is holding him together.

Think Johann Kraus from B.P.R.D

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Can y'all give a summary of this? Never read the ultimate stuff.
Kid wakes up after hitting puberty, goes down stairs, no food in the house parents nowhere to be found. Only sign of life is clothes on the floor.

Heads out, doesn't see anyone on the street for a good while until he gets to school. Starts talking to his girlfriend until she points behind him in shock where other students are screaming in pain, catching fire, and melting. Turns back around and now the same thing is happening to her with her last words being "it's you."

Cut to Wolverine in a cave, drinking. The kid comes out of the shadows and tells him he needs to leave because it's dangerous. Wolverine says he knows. They have a conversation where, ultimately, the kid is made aware that he's a mutant, his powers manifested over night as he hit puberty, and that his power, over which he has no control, is basically to destroy all organic material in his proximity.