• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Oct 26, 2017
i kinda enjoh how much this event flipped normal comics on their head,been laughing my ass of all through

also slott just doesn't get it and undid just a recent xmen arc with franklin, hate everything about it
EnIanHXW8AoUULZ

That's a lot of words to say "I am a hack".

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
i kinda enjoh how much this event flipped normal comics on their head,been laughing my ass of all through

also slott just doesn't get it and undid just a recent xmen arc with franklin, hate everything about it
EnIanHXW8AoUULZ

Yeah I'm not a fan either. It's nonsensical and just bad writing- and sets the Xmen up to look like assholes especially after Xmen/FF.

Its not even consistent with what Hickman is doing. Even if Franklin's X-gene is artificial, that wouldn't exclude him because so is Sinister's and Sinister is on Council.

Edit: Gwenpool's is also but I'm not sure the X-men are aware of it.

Just weird writing all around and there are better ways to deal with an OP character.

Edit: James Jaspers is running around X of Swords and somehow doesn't present the same problem despite being in the same class Franklin is.

Last edited:

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Its not even consistent with what Hickman is doing.

It's not consistent with what the company is doing in general. They literally just adopted Older Franklin as essentially the through line of Marvel canon in History of The MU. He's been in (or been referenced in) Immortal Hulk, even.

This is the worst shit since House of M.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Went in thinking tournament arc and instead we're getting Mario Party lmao

The fights we did get were pretty great, Storm and Death's fight was a lot shorter than I expected but it was well done.

Hellions is mildshock.gif, but Sinister doing Sinister things made it fun (with it carrying over to Cable nonetheless). Poor Kate lol

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

The fights we did get were pretty great, Storm and Death's fight was a lot shorter than I expected but it was well done.

Hellions is mildshock.gif, but Sinister doing Sinister things made it fun (with it carrying over to Cable nonetheless). Poor Kate lol

I didn't think we were getting more deaths in X of Swords but Sinister just murdered that poor girl in front of council

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Yeah that's true. And apparently he sucks at puzzles haha

They won that one though

edit: if Gorgon is the MVP, Wolverine appears to be holding the team back.

Race to Death: Wolverine kills Summoner, loses the point anyway
Amputation: Wolverine severs the arm of War, but gains a point for Arakko in the process
Lord of the Dance: Cypher's dance skills are top notch, Wolverine's isn't- point to Arakko
Contest of Couture: Storm is fabulous and on point- Wolverine isn't- point to Arakko
Rumination Endurance: Wolverine cries first, point to Arakko
Resist Temptation: Wolverine surprisingly isn't the one who messes up here, it's Gorgon, point to Arakko

Other than Contest of Cups (which was going to Krakoa regardless) Wolverine cost Krakoa a LOT of points. Best there is at what he does my ass

Last edited:

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They won that one though

edit: if Gorgon is the MVP, Wolverine appears to be holding the team back.

Race to Death: Wolverine kills Summoner, loses the point anyway
Amputation: Wolverine severs the arm of War, but gains a point for Arakko in the process
Lord of the Dance: Cypher's dance skills are top notch, Wolverine's isn't- point to Arakko
Contest of Couture: Storm is fabulous and on point- Wolverine isn't- point to Arakko
Rumination Endurance: Wolverine cries first, point to Arakko
Resist Temptation: Wolverine surprisingly isn't the one who messes up here, it's Gorgon, point to Arakko

Other than Contest of Cups (which was going to Krakoa regardless) Wolverine cost Krakoa a LOT of points. Best there is at what he does my ass

lmao

Didn't even think of this. Fun to imagine it as further Saturnyne payback for what Logan tried to do.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Wolverine was a fucking jobber, and only Gorgon saved everyone with Dark Souls Dude throwing points at Krakoa.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Yeah, Wolverine was a fucking jobber, and only Gorgon saved everyone with Dark Souls Dude throwing points at Krakoa.

Hey remember when Saturnyne said she would have called the entire contest for Krakoa before it even began because War poisoned Doug Ramsey? But didn't because Wolverine tried to kill her?

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Sinister being sinister again, but WHO could have possibly seen this coming?

The kill the kitten contest got me good lmao.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Poor Kitty, got murdered by Shaw and now again by Sinister with Emma as a co conspirator. How will she ever recover....

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I did like how they made sure you knew that the Hellions were not in Otherworld anymore before slaughtering the lot of them.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I love how the Hellions were slaughtered all because Sinister could not keep his hands off of another kid's rare baseball card collection. The Locus Vile made a really strong first impression, and I hope the Hellions get a rematch with them in the future. AMINO FETUS MUST NOT EAT

I've also heavily enjoyed the more humourous contests the swordbearers have been going through, because it really does me give some old-school Otherworld story vibes.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I love how the Hellions were slaughtered all because Sinister could not keep his hands off of another kid's rare baseball card collection. The Locus Vile made a really strong first impression, and I hope the Hellions get a rematch with them in the future. AMINO FETUS MUST NOT EAT

I've also heavily enjoyed the more humourous contests the swordbearers have been going through, because it really does me give some old-school Otherworld story vibes.

I think it's clear the other world baseball card collection was the sole reason Sinister wanted them to go in the first place.

And all things considered Sinister was right to do it and would have been stupid to pass up the opportunity.

But yeah I think I agree with you that the weird otherworld nonsense contests add a lot to the story. If for no other reason than it appears clear that Otherworld if it was so inclined could put a swift end to Arakko but at present chooses not to.

Last edited:

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
X-Force and Hellions were 🔥

Cable was okay. Gorgon saved it for me. All in all, today may be one of top 3 Wednesdays for this event. I think accepting the bizarreness help. Whomever called this event "Mario Party" was spot on lmao.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
If you had told me that Sinister and Gorgon would wind up being the MVPs of the the first X-Men crossover in the Hickman era...

I'd say it's about goddamn time.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
My response to someone speculating Apocalypse is going to sacrifice himself to the helmet:

Thematically, it doesn't make sense for Apocalypse to sacrifice himself to the helm of Annihilation. Genesis has made a point of how weak and soft he has become and how no one, not even she, is strong enough to overcome it. Genesis and the Arakii mutants have talked about how soft Krakoa mutants are. Thematically it makes sense for it to finally be shown that everything our mutants have been through has made them stronger than the mutants of Arakko. Just in a different way. And that leads back to what's going on with Jean and Scott. If Apocalypse defeats Genesis, the only reason she wore the helm was because she had only that option to to stop the hoards. Krakoa doesn't. Because Krakoa has done what Arakko never could Krakoa has made friends. I don't think Amenthi demons stack up to The Brood. The king of whom is a friend of Krakoa. And Scott and Jean just so happen to have access to a hyperdimensional space station.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
My response to someone speculating Apocalypse is going to sacrifice himself to the helmet:

Thematically, it doesn't make sense for Apocalypse to sacrifice himself to the helm of Annihilation. Genesis has made a point of how weak and soft he has become and how no one, not even she, is strong enough to overcome it. Genesis and the Arakii mutants have talked about how soft Krakoa mutants are. Thematically it makes sense for it to finally be shown that everything our mutants have been through has made them stronger than the mutants of Arakko. Just in a different way. And that leads back to what's going on with Jean and Scott. If Apocalypse defeats Genesis, the only reason she wore the helm was because she had only that option to to stop the hoards. Krakoa doesn't. Because Krakoa has done what Arakko never could Krakoa has made friends. I don't think Amenthi demons stack up to The Brood. The king of whom is a friend of Krakoa. And Scott and Jean just so happen to have access to a hyperdimensional space station.

Add to that, that the Cable prophecy mentions "pilots a place" and that hasn't come into it yet.

And since the Peak is activated by his sword it feels like it will still come into play.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I don't see how this:

p27.jpg

Is jokey.

Nor her attempt to atone going severely wrong jokey in the Empyre tie-in.

Sometimes I think comic readers are too quick to judge ongoing story lines.

Like the Franklin thing.

Full Context is that Val went through the Forever Gate and met up with a person she had fallen for and encountered the worst possible scenerio. That he wanted her as part of his harem, not a monogamous relationship like she wanted.

After ranting to Franklin, he tried to use the Forever Gate to go to Karoka and was told by the Xavier on the otherside he wasn't a mutant.

The Forever Gate is obviously a Slott long term story idea and I have a feeling that Val messed up and it takes you to the worst versions of the place you want to go.

Especially since later in the same issue the FF passed through the Forever Gate and encountered Lyja who seemed to have no idea about the events of Empyre.

I wouldnt be too fast to condemn this seems to be retcon. Slott has a respect for continuity and is really good at lying to fans (Peter is dead and never coming back) you may not like his stories but he isn't a hack, he plans them out and let's them play out.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
The end of Empyre very much reads like a "To be continued..." scene. Hickman isn't done with Wanda. The book itself hardly matters, too. This is the same guy that destroyed Wakanda in his only issue of a widely disliked event and then later used it to fuel one of the main character conflicts in his own Avengers run. They're playing at something with Wanda, I would bet on it.

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
It's such a lazy explanation that Franklin's power level limits the capacity for storylines. Dr. Manhattan is just as OP, remains an intriguing figure in all of comics and has had great storylines. This just some bullshit honestly... especially when the whole FF/X-Men revolved around Franklin's mutant birthright and entitlement to Krakoan citizenship. Mags and Xavier even gave Reed the "This is an offer you cannot refuse." treatment. Still wondering what the long game plan is and ramifications to this will be.
NCksGo9.jpg

X of Swords —
  • Storm vs Death was well done. Storm has really shined bright since HoX. Just badassery all around. "Have a taste."
  • Curious as to what Scott and Jean are gonna get up to after Cable being so distraught from his loss.
  • Mojo side comments on the text page are hilarious.
  • Sinister doing his crazy Sinister shit. Havok looked pretty fucked up. Missing limbs — an eye and all.
  • Gorgon doing it big in the 4th quarter. Is he now part of White Sword's arsenal of swords?
This analogy is
fyea.gif

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Well, Orphan-Maker, Nanny and Wild Child are three more who died on the other side. Although did they really die? Can you go check it out X-Factor?

What are the chances we face off against the Locus Vile modified originals after a too-hasty-resurrection?

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Orphan-Maker, Nanny and Wild Child are three more who died on the other side. Although did they really die? Can you go check it out X-Factor?

What are the chances we face off against the Locus Vile modified originals after a too-hasty-resurrection?

They weren't in otherworld (and were very specific about pointing that out) so they should be able to be brought back with no issues.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Gorgon fucking wrecked it.

And Saturnyne is such a petty asshole.

Storm vs Death was epic.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
It's such a lazy explanation that Franklin's power level limits the capacity for storylines.

The thing is, even if you buy into this defense, Slott already had it covered. Franklin's powers were weak/fading. It wasn't enough to put a limit on the character though and work with that, Slott just had to be destructive on top of it abd after the fact.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's such a lazy explanation that Franklin's power level limits the capacity for storylines. Dr. Manhattan is just as OP, remains an intriguing figure in all of comics and has had great storylines. This just some bullshit honestly... especially when the whole FF/X-Men revolved around Franklin's mutant birthright and entitlement to Krakoan citizenship. Mags and Xavier even gave Reed the "This is an offer you cannot refuse." treatment. Still wondering what the long game plan is and ramifications to this will be.
NCksGo9.jpg
Aside from this plot twist making no sense in general, it's completely at odds with Xavier in X/FF and HoX. There is no way he would have assumed Franklin was invited without checking Cerebro first, especially since they were a) negotiating with unwilling and very powerful and influential parents, and b) trying to find a way to restore his powers.

If this comes up again outside Slott's purview, I could see the standard comics twist being applied, retconning Xavier here as Cassandra Nova or someone similar, just trying to mess with Franklin to remove a pawn from the game or settle some beef with his parents.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did the restrictions on resurrection apply only to Otherworld or also to Arrako itself? I feel like the three that died there will also have a hard time being resurrected

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Did the restrictions on resurrection apply only to Otherworld or also to Arrako itself? I feel like the three that died there will also have a hard time being resurrected
I think it only applies to Otherworld, not all the other worlds surrounding it. So Avalon, Market, Amenth and so on might be fine in regards to resurrections.

Maybe, I think.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
They weren't in otherworld (and were very specific about pointing that out) so they should be able to be brought back with no issues.
Oh true, that was Arakko. Although that was an after thought, my main thought was about bringing back 3 team members that might not be dead. Might not matter since there's no explicit indication Tarn's genetic modifications reach the mind, per se.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The resurrection problem is Otherworld being magic and being a nexus of all realities, it should be fine if they died anywhere

Unless Arakko is somehow connected to Otherworld

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I think it only applies to Otherworld, not all the other worlds surrounding it. So Avalon, Market, Amenth and so on might be fine in regards to resurrections.

Maybe, I think.
Isn't avalon and market in Otherworld?

Also technology all realities are connected to Otherworld lol its why you can't ressurect from there

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe, I think.

Avalon and the market are part of Otherworld. Amenth is the one that's its own thing, with a gate to Dryador much like Krakoa's gate to Avalon.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Ok so I was wrong. Otherworld is the hub + all the realms around it.

So unless a solution for the resurrection issue is found by the end of XoS all of the Hellions are coming back fucked up.

Which might be an improvement for some of them?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I was wrong. Otherworld is the hub + all the realms around it.

So unless a solution for the resurrection issue is found by the end of XoS all of the Hellions are coming back fucked up.

Which might be an improvement for some of them?
The Hellions died in Amenth they should be fine to resurrect
Unless Sinister lies about that