• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I assume Isca's sword just able to do the shattered glass thing on anyone/everything it hits? Or maybe there was just some fuckery with Betsy.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I'm pretty surprised that Summoner was killed without much fanfare, though the pages of their fight were pretty awesome.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
i kind of like how the event flipped expectations, i think it will have tense high stakes feeling in the last 4 issues
mutants don't operate like humans and i love it

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I'm not terribly opposed to Saturnyne doing some shenanigans, but that Magik fight should've been an actual fight

But other than that I kinda dig how petty she is being, to Wolverine especially

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
The swerves, twists and turns for X of Swords feels like some Mojoverse TV ratings shenanigans — With the whole wedding angle & Wolverine's hallucination. Opal Luna Saturnyne is definitely one petty bitch.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
I KNEW this was going to be a wonky tournament. I'm just bummed Pogg won't be in a trivia match.

Apocalypse and Genesis had better face each other in The Newlywed Game.

nitekrawler

Oct 28, 2017
So that leaves Apocalypse, Storm, Gorgon, and Captain Avalon on Team Krakoa and Annihilation/Genesis, White Sword, Redroot and Death for Team Arakko.

Any guesses on the following pair-ups?
I'm guessing:
Apocalypse vs Annihilation
Storm vs Death,
Gorgon vs White Sword
Captain Avalon v Redroot

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
So that leaves Apocalypse, Storm, Gorgon, and Captain Avalon on Team Krakoa and Annihilation/Genesis, White Sword, Redroot and Death for Team Arakko.

Any guesses on the following pair-ups?
I'm guessing:
Apocalypse vs Annihilation
Storm vs Death,
Gorgon vs White Sword
Captain Avalon v Redroot

Wasn't Storm's match against Wolverine? Cable also still needs to fight.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I expected Tournament of Power, and we got the Hunter Exam instead!

I don't think Betsy's dead; Jamie's deep cut "Betsy is immune to reality warping antics" thing after he brought her back to life in the 2000s is probably at play here.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
I like the Jonathan Hickman era of mutants as a story. But at this point it's not X-men anymore. It's the same characters, but the core of what made X-men X-men is not there. It's a science fantasy story: mutants stopped being 'mutants' as soon as we learned of ancient multi-million mutant societies that preceded civilization. There's nothing mutant about them now, no 'next step of evolution'. The whole prejudice metaphor seems to evaporate. They're now basically ancient race of humans magic-users. There also don't seem to evolve much over the thousands of years. Don't get me wrong, I like the multi-layered storytelling of Hickman, as well as the bold new direction. I'm just musing on the things lost in the transition.
that was the start but the truth is, the mutants had the powers, resources and capabilities to rise above mankind

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck did I read. I mean, I loved all the issues and thought the swerve was interesting. But to have such a serious setup about the swords (Storm created a crisis for an entire nation) only for her to have a drinking duel? lmao

Being high while reading doesn't help either. It straight up felt like a slice of Alice in Wonderland.

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
What the fuck did I read. I mean, I loved all the issues and thought the swerve was interesting. But to have such a serious setup about the swords (Storm created a crisis for an entire nation) only for her to have a drinking duel? lmao

Being high while reading doesn't help either. It straight up felt like a slice of Alice in Wonderland.
This is a character-driven story disguised as an action story... and I love it!

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
I don't mind Hickman going weird with the...contests but this execution has some narrative problems imo.

1) Don't build stakes so much if you're gonna make it a goofy gag event. They even reintroduced and intensified the stakes this week by opening with Wolverine's vision of Arrako defeating all of Earth's heroes. Literally standing over Steven Strange's burning corpse.

2) Pacing. Why is the first half of this event gathering swords if, when we finally get to the tournament, it's just rapid fire random contests? You only do that if you need to establish their unique power sets as important details and twists deciding their fights.

Narrative tone and direction as a whole for the event I'm sour on. Individual moments-wise I still love a lot of this week's issues. White Sword saving Doug, Apocalypse being proud of his murderous kids, Magik and Cable marveling at Isca's carnival sideshow, drunk winning Logan getting a flame sword stuck in his spine.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
What on earth did I just read? I love it! :D

They should've put more pages into the arm wrestling one though.

Mazzo

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I was getting hyped up with some Dark Tournament vibes from all the setup for this event, but then came the wedding scene and... Frankly now I feel like I'm watching "Whose Line is it Anyway". It's not bad, but it is a bit disappointing.

Edit: Saturnine is more fun than Drew Carey, at least. 100 points for Arakko.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Isca is a really fun character and I loved the sequence where Magik and Cable test her powers.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
It's the best outcome for what I was expecting.
I'm expecting some Immortal Iron Fist thing where they tease a tournament but the authors swerve the fuck out of it cause this ain't manga folks.

It bummed me out back then.
We're not getting a straight tournament but we're getting fun shit because Saturnyne just wants to fuck with mutants. I expect this thing to end with a tie and Saturnyne to declare all mutants her bitches from now on.

Last edited:

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed! This whole Saturnyne shenanigans really diffused Arrako's menace to me. Except maybe for War and Famine/Pestilence who're probably presiding their Otherworld region.
It seems their danger comes from their daemon mutant army more so than the individual swordbearers who while willing and complicit in slaughter could be reasoned with and can be reasonable
Saturnyne does remind Logan that earth will die

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Agreed! This whole Saturnyne shenanigans really diffused Arrako's menace to me. Except maybe for War and Famine/Pestilence who're probably presiding their Otherworld region.
That's why I liked Marauder's opening this week so much as I read it. All of Otherworld will fall. Every hero will fail. Earth will be razed before Nimrod gets a chance to subjugate it. Those couple pages were a whet stone for the knife's edge we sit on. Saturnyne's gambit is the narrow sliver of a chance to change fate.

An then the next 70 pages immediately diffuses everything 10x more than what came before. I don't get why they did that.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
I really hope that they dive into whatever kind of mentor/role model vibe they are suddenly building up with Apocalypse and Cable, especially since Evan SHOULD be still alive and on Krakoa.

If Exodus wasn't already teaching the children, I would have thought they were setting up -A- as the island's teacher/loremaster.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking Broo is gonna be what solves the demon issue in the end, as I think there might be more Brood than demons.

Broo: "How large is the demon army?"

X-men: [insert # in the millions/billions here]

Broo (with trillion Brood swarm at his back) : "Those are numbers I can work with."

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking Broo is gonna be what solves the demon issue in the end, as I think there might be more Brood than demons.

Broo (with trillion Brood swarm at his back) : "Those are numbers I can work with."
Yeah, Broo had a profile in the XoS handbook for seemingly no reason, so unless it's a big red herring, he must come into it at some point.

Meggan too, although from the covers, she seems to join Excalibur after the event.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK

Wasn't there a big brood story in one of the early issues of New Mutants too? I can't remember if it got concluded or not.
The egg thing.

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
So, I remember people wishing that some of these Arrako characters wouldn't go away after this crossover and, well, I think that wish has been granted.

I think that also this does increase Moira's chance of changing the futures she's seen. This new cast of characters, united with Krakoa's characters, seems like a good chance to improve the future.

Oct 26, 2017
So, I remember people wishing that some of these Arrako characters wouldn't go away after this crossover and, well, I think that wish has been granted.

I think that also this does increase Moira's chance of changing the futures she's seen. This new cast of characters, united with Krakoa's characters, seems like a good chance to improve the future.

They shouldn't be unknowns to Moira though, she knows Apocalypse's kids so presumably she knows Arrako too.