• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. What about XCutioners Song, Xtinction Agenda or Phalanx Covenant?
Yes, and add Bishop's Crossing to that.

I haven't read Inferno but that's supposed to be good too.

Personally I cap the classic era with X-Men vs. Apocalypse: The Twelve and Eve of Destruction (which some might not consider classic but I still like it).

If you get Days of Future Past in print try to find this hardcover edition :
fa33cafa-ed8f-49fc-axukyo.jpeg

It includes the Days of Future Present story and in print that's only available here.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't expecting this. (and that title really made me think we were getting a new X-Men Legends game at first)

aiptcomics.com

Marvel announces brand-new series ‘X-Men Legends’ for February 2021

X-Men Legends will explore classic eras of X-Men history featuring comics legends Chris Claremont, Louise Simonson, Fabian Nicieza, and more!

Break out the yellows and blues, fire up the Danger Room and snap on your pouches as legendary X-writers return to classic eras of the mutant super heroes in all-new, in-continuity stories set during their groundbreaking runs! Featuring greats like Chris Claremont, Louise Simonson, Fabian Nicieza, Larry Hama, Peter David, and more, X-MEN LEGENDS will deliver startling tales month after month that dive into the rich history of the X-Men to tie up loose ends, resolve long-standing plot danglers, and reveal shocking truths that will change the past and future of the X-Men!

Fabian Nicieza, known for his explosive work on the X-Men in their nineties heyday, kicks off the series with a special saga of Cyclops and Havok that will solve one of the greatest X-Men mysteries of all time: Adam-X and his startling connection to the Summers bloodline!

HuEw2QF.jpg

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So guys, I fell off when House of X and Powers of X ended (loved it!) as my iPad kinda broke. How has the whole thing developed since then? Has it been ups and downs, mostly great, a disappointment?

And is there a reading order somewhere? Where do I continue from HoX/PoX? I remember there being multiple series launched after that.

Think I'm gonna continue with the reading order for the old X-Men runs too.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
X-Men Legends could be terrible or awesome.
My curiosity will make me get those books.

Dammit Mr. Poolman, what are you doing?

Oct 25, 2017
So guys, I fell off when House of X and Powers of X ended (loved it!) as my iPad kinda broke. How has the whole thing developed since then? Has it been ups and downs, mostly great, a disappointment?

And is there a reading order somewhere? Where do I continue from HoX/PoX? I remember there being multiple series launched after that.

Fallen Angels is 100% skippable

I'd just read them in release order but if you want to just jump to X of Swords just pick the last 2-3 issues from each before the event starts

XMen, Hellions and Marauders were the stand outs for me. I liked new mutants a lot but I know it was mixed reviews. Excalibur is a bit of a cryptic mess but I liked it and it sets up the most for X of Swords. Giant Size XMen is absolutely worth reading. I can't speak to Cable or Wolverine

Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo what Tarpit said but add on that Cable is really fun. X-Force is important but I don't love it. Same with Excalibur. X-Factor seems to be the type of book that you either hate or love.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Fallen Angels is 100% skippable

I'd just read them in release order but if you want to just jump to X of Swords just pick the last 2-3 issues from each before the event starts

XMen, Hellions and Marauders were the stand outs for me. I liked new mutants a lot but I know it was mixed reviews. Excalibur is a bit of a cryptic mess but I liked it and it sets up the most for X of Swords. Giant Size XMen is absolutely worth reading. I can't speak to Cable or Wolverine

In retrospect, I don't even know what Fallen Angels even added to the X-line of comics. Every series so far has contributed something relatively significant or notable... but Fallen Angels is just... meh?

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

X-Men has some good stuff with some janky stuff that pays off later.
New Mutant is kidna disjointed but the art is great.
Hellions is the superior X-Force.
Marauders is the strongest book of the line.

Oct 25, 2017
In retrospect, I don't even know what Fallen Angels even added to the X-line of comics. Every series so far has contributed something relatively significant or notable... but Fallen Angels is just... meh?

It really was a waste of time for everyone. It was so bad I couldn't even bring myself to read the last issue after forcing through all the others.

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
I have been slowly working through the X of Swords handbook. It's kinda crazy reading the histories of characters from when I stopped reading in the early 90s then when I came back for Morrison and Whedon and then again in the gap to Hickman.

Some characters have had some seriously wacky shit happen to them.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can think of a few XoS issues so far that I would jettison for the sake of expanding the opening of this week's Marauders into a full comic. Seems like a waste, really.

Last edited:

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the X of Swords, where the rules are all made up and the points probably wont matter.

Seriously tho if the contest is up to Saturnynes arbitrary whim to this extent then there must be a hell of a swerve right around the corner.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the X of Swords, where the rules are all made up and the points probably wont matter.

Seriously tho if the contest is up to Saturnynes arbitrary whim to this extent then there must be a hell of a swerve right around the corner.
It's surreal. Three pages of intriguing alternate reality, followed by parley and then two issues of crazy nonsense. Was this whole event an elaborate troll?

Oct 25, 2017
It's surreal. Three pages of intriguing alternate reality, followed by parley and then two issues of crazy nonsense. Was this whole event an elaborate troll?

I just finished this weeks and im just left scratching my head. Everything felt a bit like a mess where some stuff was fleshed out and others just happened; this was a prpblem i had with hickman during the secret wars build and conclusion

I didnt hate the story of doug and beil because it did seem plausible in how it can work.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

The Villain of this arc clearly isn't Arrako and might not even be Annihilation.

Feels like it's Saturnyne

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
This event's pacing is a complete mess. How is everything this slapdash when we had 2 full issues just for Wolverine to get his sword?

Also the tone shift from feeling fairly serious the actual tournament, which is more humorous than anything.

I'm still enjoying it but yeesh. Hope the conclusion isn't rushed.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
This event's pacing is a complete mess. How is everything this slapdash when we had 2 full issues just for Wolverine to get his sword?

Also the tone shift from feeling fairly serious the actual tournament, which is more humorous than anything.

I'm still enjoying it but yeesh. Hope the conclusion isn't rushed.

My only guess is that we are meant to feel as blindsided as the X-men. This was heavily set up to be a series of one on one duels to the death, but quickly did a 180 to be random and capricious Otherworld insanity that no one can actually win fairly.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Well if nothing else i can definitely say the outcome is feeling a lot less prdictable now.
A regular death tourney for the fate of the world can really only go one way, but this? This could turn out a lot more interesting.

The Villain of this arc clearly isn't Arrako and might not even be Annihilation.

Feels like it's Saturnyne
Yeah its definitely looking that way.

Like just looking at Arrako, there has been way to much setup for that entire faction and its individual members to possibly see it through in the next 6 issues, especially not in a contest that refuses to take them seriously.
Annihilation just hasnt gotten nearly enough screentime to be a fitting big bad right now, things are only just starting to heat up with her.
But Saturnyne has spent this entire event in the spotlight and just being a plain old manipulative jerk to everyone while (literally) holding all the cards, nobody would be more satisfying to overcome.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to pretend to be a some comic super fan with deep knowledge but is this typical of Hickman? I was engaged in Infinity and Incursions but everything else in that saga just never fully delivered, especially secret wars conclusion.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So much fuckery going on, not sure how to feel about it

Death's reaction to the scarab being served cracked me up though

Last edited:

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't expect this to actually be a series of one v ones, so I'm not surprised in as far as that.

And given his card, Doug and Bei went right about where I was expecting, but that's a match that should have been building in the background of other books and actually happened in like another 2 chapters at least.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Didn't expect this to actually be a series of one v ones, so I'm not surprised in as far as that.

And given his card, Doug and Bei went right about where I was expecting, but that's a match that should have been building in the background of other books and actually happened in like another 2 chapters at least.

Agreed.

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
So, it's true... Cypher's life is over... we all knew it was going to happen :( RIP Cypher

(also, this is very pedantic of me, but the X-Men use their mutant names now that they have their own nation. Whenever I see someone refer to Cypher as Doug I get a little sad)

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
So, it's true... Cypher's life is over... we all knew it was going to happen :( RIP Cypher

(also, this is very pedantic of me, but the X-Men use their mutant names now that they have their own nation. Whenever I see someone refer to Cypher as Doug I get a little sad)
They use both. Some prefer one over the other.

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
I will say this, I love the match format! Especially how quick things are resolved.

It clearly seems as if this is more than just Saturnyne killing Captain Britain (which, come on, we knew that was one of her goals) but that there is some uber plan she has put in motion. At this point, I don't know what her end goal really is...

Maybe gluing back Captain Britain to win the favor of Captain Avalon? That's gotta be one goal, but not her main one...

Why hook up both the islands' speakers? It seems like a natural thing to do but what does she gain from it?

The only thing I can think of is that she is trying to broker peace between the two islands so that they can become allies with her against the crazies in Otherworld (which have been detailed extensively in the build-up)

Everything we've seen so far is making the champions "mutantize" (humanize) each other and find common ground. They DO seem to be bonding over this competition, dinner, and assassination attempts.

Even the matches seem to have lost their promised lethality. The stakes have been lowered dramatically.

(I still think Storm is going to die, though... even this drinking challenge with Wolverine seemed like a sort of good-bye to a once-lover)

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This week was both, terrible and amazing.
Many little details that I loved, Magik and Cypher testing Isca's powers was really fun.
Also the duels are more varied than I expected.

Art is fantastic on Wolverine.

But I can't help but notice the weird pacing of this event.

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
This week was both, terrible and amazing.
Many little details that I loved, Magik and Cypher testing Isca's powers was really fun.
Also the duels are more varied than I expected.

Art is fantastic on Wolverine.

But I can't help but notice the weird pacing of this event.
I mean, we are 3/4 of the way through it... The contests are happening and we have to leave some room for the conclusion and consequences. I think the pacing is just right. No need to go all Dragon Ball Z on some of these fighta

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It varies. I think they use mutant names for official purposes, but a lot of characters still go by first-name basis for familiarity. Nobody's referring to Jean as Marvel Girl, for example.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Saturnyne is trying to pull an Ozymandias, and throw so much bullshit at Arakko and Krakoa that they get over their differences and unite?

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Apocalypse hitting Cable hard with the "son I am disappoint" look.

Poccy also making sure he changes into the right clothes for whichever book he's in.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
These guys need to read some manga. If you're going to set up a tournament arc just to end up in a troll you don't do it right off the bat. You let it proceed as normal for a bit and then halfway you throw a spanner in the works. This is 101 stuff here.