• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Excalibur was incredibly confusing and uninteresting. X-Men however was great and really creates fantastic lore for the event and improves Apocalypse further as a character.

nitekrawler

Oct 28, 2017
I dont know any of those characters except Wolverine and Magneto :(

That's not Magneto it is North(a Sinister genetic chimera with the powers of Polaris and Emma Frost). The girl is Rasputin (another Sinister genetic chimera with the powers of Quentin Quire, Piotr Rasputin, Unus, Kitty Pride, and Laura Kinney)

Surely you know Krakoa(who has taken Doug's body) and Xorn.

They are from Moira's 9th life that lasted far into the future.

Oh I meant them just picking out capes together, like at a mall, throw in Emma too.

Why go to a mall when Emma can bring Jumbo Carnation along to make something custom and truly excellent.

Last edited:

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Excalibur is just awkward, it's not some complex story it's trying to tell it's just so freaking awkward to read.

Last edited:

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I continue to be confused by Excalibur and not care

Stuff happened in the book and i rather move on

I really want to like Excalibur too

Also Annihilation is definitely Genesis now right

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Excalibur fucking sucks, -A- is the only character that feels important to the narrative, the rest are just 90s Xmen that people wanna see doing something. Even earthbender mutant is more clearly defined than Gambit or Rogue on this.

Next to hellBlazer or Justice League Dark this feels so fillerish and boring.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I think the biggest problem with Excalibur is if you aren't already aware of the long history the X-Men have with Otherworld and it's politics, people, leaders, etc it doesn't make much sense. They've honestly done a poor job of explaining it.

They are assuming you know it, which is a big ass problem. But for people like me who are very aware of it all, it's been pretty amazing to see it evolve.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Re: Excalibur - if those Cap Britains are distortions, where are the real ones?

Also, does this mean I don't have to worry about Jubilee dying in Otherworld because it's not the real Jubes?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Re: Excalibur - if those Cap Britains are distortions, where are the real ones?

Also, does this mean I don't have to worry about Jubilee dying in Otherworld because it's not the real Jubes?

The real ones went back home when the last mission was over. They are fine.

Since people are having problems with understanding the latest issue I'll try to break it down a bit.

Saturnyne is the current White Witch and Omniversal Majestrix. That means she is the ruler of Otherworld as a whole and the boss of the Captain Britain Corp. The Captain British Corp has been dead since the reality Incursions created by the Beyonders that destroyed the Marvel and Ultimate Universes and lead to the most recent Secret Wars. She is the alternate reality version (Originally from Earth 8) of Courtney Ross, one of Brian Braddock's old love interests. Courtney Ross also was once replaced by Sat-Yr-9 another version of them from Earth 794, that one became the White Queen of the Hellfire Club for a hot minute in 616 going up against Emma for the title.

Normally the Omniversal Guardian is either Merlin or Roma but both seem to be still MIA since the reality reboot. And it also seems that Franklin Richard's reboot of the multiverse doesn't include Captain Britains except for Brian and now Betsy.

Jamie Braddock is the entirely insane older brother of both Elizabeth and Brian. He was put in place by -A- to be King of Avalon deposing the actual Morgan Le Fey from the Arthur Myths. He manipulates reality like Proteus. The difference is that Jamie effects things on a Quantum level, he pulls at the strings of what is possible rather than just making wish fulfillment. His powers are augmented by his own knowledge of sorcery and connections to Otherworld (Only Betsy doesn't have a direct connection to Otherworld out of the Braddock siblings.) In a previous issue of Excalibur he created a series of pocket realms that created multiple Captain Britains not actually tied to the Omniversal Captain Britain Corp. We saw the Rogue, Gambit and Jubilee ones this issue.

The Sword of Might and the Amulet of Right are artifacts that can create Captain Britain. Until this issue both were assumed to have been made by Merlyn. Brian original took the Amulet of Right and became a Captain Britain that was guided by reason and logic instead of by violence. Despite what was implied in the issue not ever Captain Britain has to choose between the two. Betsy was previously a Captain Britain when Brian was unable to fight. She just took the Amulet of right and fought Slaymaster.

Betsy and Brian bickering and fighting as they were in this issue is a twin thing. They had a mutual plan to get the real sword they new Saturnyne was hiding, a previously unrevealed weapon. They knew to bicker and attack each other would set Saturnyne off guard and allow them to get it.

Think that covers most of the backstory necessary. If anyone has questions I'll answer tommorow as I have to get to bed.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez. This stuff is so dense. I consider myself an X-Men super fan and this stuff almost all goes over my head.

Also place your bets now-who will be wearing the Golden Crown of Amenth by the end of this event?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Jeez. This stuff is so dense. I consider myself an X-Men super fan and this stuff almost all goes over my head.

Also place your bets now-who will be wearing the Golden Crown of Amenth by the end of this event?
Rockslide.

Ah yes. My eyes glaze over when we turn to Shi'ar politics.
Shi'ar, Otherworld, and the Weapon Program. Three of the most dense, convoluted things involving the X-Men.

Oct 26, 2017
I continue to be confused by Excalibur and not care

Stuff happened in the book and i rather move on

I really want to like Excalibur too

Also Annihilation is definitely Genesis now right

Yeah, I'd be extremely surprised if it's anyone else. I'm also really curious what happened to the avatar of Arakko that went with them.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Normally the Omniversal Guardian is either Merlin or Roma but both seem to be still MIA since the reality reboot.
According to the data pages, they now run their own separate realms of Otherworld.

(I'm still not actually sure why we're getting data pages about Otherworld realms in the XoS leadup.)

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I think Otherworld's role in this story is the part that my brain not willing to accept wholesale. I found the Okkara, Arakko, and Krakoa lore really interesting. It took me a minute to process Amenth and Arakko's place within that dimension. But the idea that you have to crawl through Otherworld to get to Earth 616 feels contrived. I get the whole "nexus of all realities" thing, but we've seen so many stories where reality or dimension hops are direct and don't involve a nexus (Otherworld or otherwise).

It just feels like someone started with the idea of a "tournament of champions" then walked their way back into all the details, which is fine, but I don't agree with the choice of Otherworld as the stage and Saturnyne as the game master.

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
If Gorgon is wielding both Grasscutter and Godkiller, does that mean Team Krakoa is one person down? Or does it balance out that Cypher and Warlock are technically two people entering as one sword?

Yeah this is still a big question mark for me - technically we have ten swords and ten champions so far if you count Warlock as both, or nine champions if you don't. Either way this still leaves one sigil open, and the biggest question for me: the Cerebro Sword.

Why forge Cerebro into a sword leading up to your sword-based event if its not going to come into play? I was genuinely surprised when it wasn't mentioned in Polaris' prophecy.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I think Otherworld's role in this story is the part that my brain not willing to accept wholesale. I found the Okkara, Arakko, and Krakoa lore really interesting. It took me a minute to process Amenth and Arakko's place within that dimension. But the idea that you have to crawl through Otherworld to get to Earth 616 feels contrived. I get the whole "nexus of all realities" thing, but we've seen so many stories where reality or dimension hops are direct and don't involve a nexus (Otherworld or otherwise).

It just feels like someone started with the idea of a "tournament of champions" then walked their way back into all the details, which is fine, but I don't agree with the choice of Otherworld as the stage and Saturnyne as the game master.
Arrako doesn't have a portal to Earth. They have a way into Otherworld where there's a portal they can use to get to Krakoa.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is still a big question mark for me - technically we have ten swords and ten champions so far if you count Warlock as both, or nine champions if you don't. Either way this still leaves one sigil open, and the biggest question for me: the Cerebro Sword.

Why forge Cerebro into a sword leading up to your sword-based event if its not going to come into play? I was genuinely surprised when it wasn't mentioned in Polaris' prophecy.
I remember the Cerebro Sword being in a bunch of early X of Swords promos, alongside Cyclops's lightsaber and whatever Nightcrawler had, so I'm wondering if the pandemic forced them to scale back their plans.

Last we saw of the Cerebro Sword was in Mikhail Rasputin's hands, and that was two months ago when the comics were just warming up again after the hiatus. Maybe there were plans for X-Force to somehow get it back before the event.

(Incidentally, the same issue had Rasputin planning to make Quentin clones to attack Krakoa with. Quentin is pretty powerful, so I can't imagine what chaos they could cause with an army of Quentins.)

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the Cerebro Sword being in a bunch of early X of Swords promos, alongside Cyclops's lightsaber and whatever Nightcrawler had, so I'm wondering if the pandemic forced them to scale back their plans.

Last we saw of the Cerebro Sword was in Mikhail Rasputin's hands, and that was two months ago when the comics were just warming up again after the hiatus. Maybe there were plans for X-Force to somehow get it back before the event.

(Incidentally, the same issue had Rasputin planning to make Quentin clones to attack Krakoa with. Quentin is pretty powerful, so I can't imagine what chaos they could cause with an army of Quentins.)

Nah, they said from the start not every sword in that promo was going to be in this story.

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
Nah, they said from the start not every sword in that promo was going to be in this story.

Yeah there were simply too many characters in the promo. Cyclops' sword I could just see being promo flashiness but the Cerebro Sword has been fully in the story.

I guess you're right that the likely thing is covid rewrites but it's such a specific thing it feels weird to not include it at all in the Big Sword Event.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
I'm guessing that once the tournament starts, each duel will take place in a different kingdom of Otherworld, hence knowing a brief bit about each one is important in case there are stipulations/conditions to each match.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that once the tournament starts, each duel will take place in a different kingdom of Otherworld, hence knowing a brief bit about each one is important in case there are stipulations/conditions to each match.
Is it confirmed one-on-one? I got the impression it was a 10v10 royal rumble, hence Cypher and Warlock being able to enter together and Gorgon carrying two swords.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Is it confirmed one-on-one? I got the impression it was a 10v10 royal rumble, hence Cypher and Warlock being able to enter together and Gorgon carrying two swords.
Though I'm not sure if it's confirmed either way about what kind of tournament it is but Warlock is acting as a sword even though he's technically alive (unless they do a plot twist or something) i don't think he counts as a contestant

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
X of Swords Stasis Preview.
V88iCkaJJEPEvXyovKTnjB.jpg

i7uxuZTeg3k9J5wMPYicNA-970-80.jpg.webp

MWvya9XkD8dHzbvRzWkjE9-970-80.jpg.webp
Larraz keeps being amazing.

Ade

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Considering all the Cable/Apoc history (which surely even this Cable has some of?) seen him chatting with him like that is just so... odd

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I tried with this new run. I cannot front, it was never easy, but I was more or less on board for the first 10 issues.
This whole sword shit has truly lost me. So fucking stupid.