• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Oct 25, 2017
Hellions was simply magnificent and the whole exchange around making Sinister go was perfect

Cable felt like a nothing issue up until those final pages but I also haven't been reading any prior to this

I'm also of the camp that these stories are all happening in parallel and not sequential. So storm is arriving at the ring within moments of others.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Hellions was simply magnificent and the whole exchange around making Sinister go was perfect

Cable felt like a nothing issue up until those final pages but I also haven't been reading any prior to this

I'm also of the camp that these stories are all happening in parallel and not sequential. So storm is arriving at the ring within moments of others.

mags changing his vote was so good

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking for some recommendations on what run I should pick up next in trades:

The Messiah Complex/War/Second Coming or Gillen's run on Uncanny?

I'm looking for something relatively self-contained with good characterization. If I get the two Compete Collections of Gillen's run will it make sense without the full AvX story?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I stick to Complex/War/Coming

While Gillen's run is good most the time. It does need AvX and sometimes he really doesnt get the character's voices. Namor and Cyclops especially.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for some recommendations on what run I should pick up next in trades:

I'm looking for something relatively self-contained with good characterization. If I get the two Compete Collections of Gillen's run will it make sense without the full AvX story?

The Messiah arc was a favorite of mine. Outside of some meh art I like how the story unfolded

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

The Messiah Saga is THE event to read. It's so fucking good.

I recommend a little "extra" reading if you have MU:

Maybe the first trades of New X-Men and X-Factor beforehand so you know who the young kids are and get to know Monet/Madrox/etc a bit more

Read Yost X-Force as it intertwines with the Saga

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
71rwehlp9dt51.jpg

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
The tweet that featured that image referred to it as "unarmed combat". So Pogg ur Pogg is his own sword. (As many have guessed).

Makes the name make sense.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I do think that Doug will die. "This body once belonged to a mutant who could communicate with anything. I maintain all that he was though he has long left this existence" Krakoa - PoX 2 - Moira's 9th life.

YO WHAT

Edit: I see you guys explained.

I really have no idea what'll happen to Doug. Oh man.

Last edited:

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still waiting to see the Xorn brothers together in the modern day since we know they're both on Krakoa.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Something I just read in the X of Swords Handbook's entry on Moira made me go back and check HoX #2 for a potentially a relevant fact for XoS. Describing her 9th life, it states that after Apocalypse killed Xavier and Magneto, he and Moira rescued Apocalypse's first horsemen in unrevealed circumstances. Now I remember the panel in HoX #2 where Moira and Apocalypse join hands having some peripheral background characters. I had just assumed, given their Egyptian flair, they were random Akkabaian disciples or maybe even new Horsemen but going back and looking, yup, those are the original Horsemen designs. So Moira might have relevant information on the enemy here.

Given that Moira only resets a few years compared to the thousands of years the Horsemen have been stewing for revenge, Arakko would still have the same plans to kill Apocalypse and invade Earth but it all played out differently. Did they defeat the Arakkoan forces and accept defections? Did they proactively make contact at a somewhat earlier date and manage to prevent all out war? Hox #2 specifically shows Pestilence, Death and Famine but not War - or Genesis for that matter. Is that apropos of nothing or are they main instigators that refused to rejoin 9th life Apocalypse? One thing that's certain is that the OG Horsemen would surely prefer 9th life genocidal warlord Apocalypse to our 10th life weeping on his knees Krakoan -A-.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty interesting point. Following from that: Say Wolverine's promise to Solem was a place on Krakoa? That makes the "Logan's Loki" description they've used for him make sense, but if he comes to Krakoa, War isn't going to be able to side with them. She's clearly unwilling to make amends with him under these extreme circumstances, let alone break bread on a new home. So that could be the inciting point, or part of it, in Life X. And Solem killing her husband could be a constant across life lines.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Goes with my theory that is all a setup by Apocalypse. It's his final "survival of the fittest" play.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I consider myself a newbie when it comes to comics, but I feel I've read enough recent X issues with Apocalypse to better understand the character. I've also gone back to AoA and read ~60% of the arc. However, I've yet to see him use his shape shifting abilities. How integral is this power to his character? Has it to become less relevant as time went on, or have the issues I've read (especially HoxPox) simply not featured situations where he'd normally use it?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I like Excalibur but sometimes I feel like the story with the Braddocks can feel so obtuse

XMen 13 had some nice backstory to Apocalypse. This series has made me more interested in him than anything else. Feels there's much more depth to his character now.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
I've recently been thinking that I wished Jeff Lemire's short tenure on X-Men had been under Hickman.
Those two could have created beautiful things together.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
I consider myself a newbie when it comes to comics, but I feel I've read enough recent X issues with Apocalypse to better understand the character. I've also gone back to AoA and read ~60% of the arc. However, I've yet to see him use his shape shifting abilities. How integral is this power to his character? Has to become less relevant as time went on, or have the issues I've read (especially HoxPox) simply not featured situations where he's normally use it?

Yeah, that does seem to have been a power he rarely uses now. In the beginning of X-Factor he was like a Mr. Fantastic on mega steroids, but he's kind of evolved (heh) as a character that is more a brick than anything else. He does modify his appearance whenever he thinks it will serve, like in Age of X, but I can't remember the last time he turned his arms into laser guns or gave himself a jetpack.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
So, I've got a question after reading Excalibur this week. I might be missing something obvious, butttttt

So, my understanding is that only mutants can go through the Krakoa gates right? Hence the whole "why can't Kitty get through" storyline. Yet, on the last page of this weeks issue, Brian Braddock goes through one. I thought he wasn't a mutant?

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
So, I've got a question after reading Excalibur this week. I might be missing something obvious, butttttt

So, my understanding is that only mutants can go through the Krakoa gates right? Hence the whole "why can't Kitty get through" storyline. Yet, on the last page of this weeks issue, Brian Braddock goes through one. I thought he wasn't a mutant?

House of X #1 established that non-mutants can go through as long as they are accompanied by a mutant and/or have Krakoa's permission.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Today's books:

Excalibur #13: XoS part 9
The Sword of Might was forged on Galador? really? I didn't knew that.
Captain Avalon is a cool name, I will give Mad Jim this.
Not a fan of this issue until the end. I felt that Bryan was not in character falling for Saturnyne's charms, but I was rewarded by the end.
Good art on this one.

X-Men #13: XoS part 10
Now we are talking. After may years, many itterations; Apocalypse finally is an interesting character.
The motivation for his "Survival of the fittest" takes on an almost tragic sense now. Heck, his fixation on choosing 4 Horsemen... he was trying to fill the void left by his children.
Interesting that Apoc's Scarab was done by Isca the Unbeaten (I love her name and design).

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Gorgon is wielding both Grasscutter and Godkiller, does that mean Team Krakoa is one person down? Or does it balance out that Cypher and Warlock are technically two people entering as one sword?

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I jumped into Excalibur since it was part of X of Swords, but I haven't been reading it. So I was super confused by this issue.

What is Jamie's whole deal, why do Gambit/Rogue/Jubilee go after him, and did he really kill Jubilee? Why did everyone seem pretty okay with that?

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I jumped into Excalibur since it was part of X of Swords, but I haven't been reading it. So I was super confused by this issue.

What is Jamie's whole deal, why do Gambit/Rogue/Jubilee go after him, and did he really kill Jubilee? Why did everyone seem pretty okay with that?
They are reality manipulations. Not the real ones.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018

It's super confusing but in Excalibur #10 Jamie, using Earth 616 as a base, created an offshoot reality where the UK goes to war with Krakoa. Jamie kills that reality's Betsy causing another offshoot reality where each member of Excalibur is offered a talisman and becomes Captain Britains. Seems Jamie wanted to fill the ranks of the depleted Captain Britain Corp. but as for why he wanted to do that? Shrug. Also Saturnyne views them as an affront, captures them and now we see is planning to execute them. Again, it's really confusing and kind of sloppy.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They are reality manipulations. Not the real ones.
It's super confusing but in Excalibur #10 Jamie, using Earth 616 as a base, created an offshoot reality where the UK goes to war with Krakoa. Jamie kills that reality's Betsy causing another offshoot reality where each member of Excalibur is offered a talisman and becomes Captain Britains. Seems Jamie wanted to fill the ranks of the depleted Captain Britain Corp. but as for why he wanted to do that? Shrug. Also Saturnyne views them as an affront, captures them and now we see is planning to execute them. Again, it's really confusing and kind of sloppy.

Right on, thank you!