• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Who are the 10 fighters?

1 Wolverine
2 Cypher
3 Magik
4 Cable
5 Storm
6 Gorgon
7 Betsy?
8 Apocalypse?
9 Brian Braddock?
10?

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
if the tournament is going to be played straight then more than someone is going to have to eat it right?

like its not going to be much of a story if its a 9-1 sweep by Krakoa.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
if the tournament is going to be played straight then more than someone is going to have to eat it right?

like its not going to be much of a story if its a 9-1 sweep by Krakoa.
The Arakko team is filled with powerful immortal veterans who have been fighting for centuries
Honestly if it wasn't a big two mainstream comic with popular characters at least half of the x team will die

Last edited:

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
The Arakko team is filled with powerful immortal veterans who have been fighting for centuries
Honestly if it wasn't a big two mainstream comic with popular characters almost half of the x team will die
oh definitely, but on the same hand this event has clearly been well planned out and i feel like Hickman would realise that playing a tournament like this without the casualties it really aught to result in, well it would be super lame.
So either more people will bite it than you'd expect in a mainstream event like this or some other shit is going to go down.

either way very exciting.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I'm expecting some Immortal Iron Fist thing where they tease a tournament but the authors swerve the fuck out of it cause this ain't manga folks.

It bummed me out back then.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.
Either :
- the tournament doesn't go all the way through
- a bunch of people die and never come back or come back different
- the current hypothesis about resurrection being messed up is false or partial
- Saturnyne does whatever she wants

or a mix of these.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Handbook stuff!

The cover art has:
  • Apocalypse
  • Betsy
  • Brian
  • Cable
  • Cyclops
  • Cypher
  • Gorgon
  • Greycrow
  • Iceman
  • Magik
  • Meggan
  • Moira
  • Nightcrawler
  • Storm
  • Wolverine
The profiles in the book are:
  • Apocalypse
  • Broo
  • Brian Braddock (as Captain Britain)
  • Betsy Braddock (as Captain Britain)
  • Cypher
  • Gloriana (Meggan)
  • Gorgon
  • Krakoa
  • Moira
  • Magik
  • Wolverine
  • X-Men
So we can assume these are the characters important to the event (confirmed fighters in bold).
It's looking like both Betsy and Brian will take part, along with apparently Meggan?

Some other unrelated(?) stuff I found from skimming the profiles:
  • All previously deceased X-Men were resurrected (except clones and alternate reality versions).
    • Forgetmenot is confirmed resurrected, but it's unclear if anyone remembers his existence.
    • Any previous X-Men member is now considered an active X-Man when on Krakoa or otherwise serving mutantkind.
    • Non-X-Men members of Krakoan groups are not automatically considered X-Men.
    • Clones and alternate reality versions of mutants are not considered candidates for resurrection.
  • Cerebra and Lockheed are granted special X-Men membership despite not being mutants.
  • Apart from Cypher and Magik, Krakoa's population doesn't know Warlock is still alive.
    • The reason for keeping Warlock's survival a secret is unknown, but apparently there's a good reason, which Cypher already shared with Magik.
    • Upon arriving on Krakoa, Cypher and Warlock implanted a Krakoan plant with a techno-organic virus for unknown reasons.
    • Krakoa has secret meetings with Cypher and Warlock, also for unknown reasons.
  • The reason Moira lived so long in her sixth life was blood transfusions from Wolverine (both have type E blood) and in her ninth life because of genetic alterations from Apocalypse.
    • Moira's mutation is undetectable except to precogs, who see the environment "bend" around her "vacancy".
  • A No-Place is a flower-created habitat which is outside of Krakoa's consciousness. Moira lives in one of these under Krakoa, with a gate to a secret chamber in the House of X and another to an unknown city.
  • The Wild Hunt from HoX #1 and two-pronged building from PoX #5 are still a mystery.
  • It's unknown whether Wolverine still has his claw-superheating power.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.
Either :
- the tournament doesn't go all the way through
- a bunch of people die and never come back or come back different
- the current hypothesis about resurrection being messed up is false or partial
- Saturnyne does whatever she wants

or a mix of these.
A bunch of people are going to die and fixing the resurrection protocols is going to be a big part of the aftermath.

They have time travelers, after all. Pulling Rockslide forward in time long enough to make a backup is just one work around I can think of.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
When did Mr. Sinister start to become so awesome?

I love this version (and his prior HOXPOX appearances).

Now I want him in the MCU even more, maybe played by Neil Patrick Harris,

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the mysteries surrounding Doug, Warlock and Krakoa, I'm gonna throw shit at the wall and bet it relates to the endgame of X^3 and the Phalanx.
If Moira is setting up a history where mutants stay relevant, that would include what happens when the big boys come knocking.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Uncanny X-Men 544 is his first appearance. Sinister repeatedly clones and executes himself until he makes a version of himself he likes.

Though most of his appearances in House of X/Powers of X are supposed to be set before that.

You know. The Original Mr Sinister that debuted in Uncanny X-Men 221 was probably a rogue clone knowing what we know now.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding the mysteries surrounding Doug, Warlock and Krakoa, I'm gonna throw shit at the wall and bet it relates to the endgame of X^3 and the Phalanx.
If Moira is setting up a history where mutants stay relevant, that would include what happens when the big boys come knocking.
Hah! I was thinking about it and came to another conclusion, I'm expecting Moira to keep things close to her chest and her not having mentionned to Xavier or Erik that the Phallanx is ultimately a menace and this biting Krakoa (the nation not the sentient island) in the ass due to upcoming Doug/Warlock/Krakoa (the sentient island) shenanigans.

Or maybe you're right and they're on a side mission on direct or indirect orders from Moira. Exciting times!

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
I'm holding out hope that Moira and Apocalypse smooch in front of Genesis at the end of Apocalypse's match

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
There's no way to know who's the original Sinister, even current Sinister was a clone that killed another clone
I just mean that personality wise this Sinister has existed before his actual first appearance, so it's likely the "original" Sinister wasn't part of the plan as he acts very different with very different goals than our current Sinister.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I am confident Doug isn't going to die just because of how big a to do has been made of it. I'm kind of expecting him and Krakoa or Krakoa and Warlock to become a gestalt entity so that Krakoa can compensate for Doug's shortcomings as a fighter with raw power while not cheating the rules.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bet Doug will get a secondary mutation that allows him to pull the W. Maybe this arc will accept it's "Anime as fuck" status and give him Haki.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, Magik's sword is literally a manifestation of her soul. Which means it's not an extension of her powers like a sword normally is. So this has an interesting implication for Pogg, who we can see is physically holding a sword.

We always assumed that he was his own sword though and I'm assuming that is still the case, even if he manifests a blade like Magik does.

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Really enjoying the X of Swords books, even on the series I don't regularly read. I have no affinity for Mr Sinister, he (and Apoc) came in around when I stopped reading X-Books back in the day, but he was super entertaining here.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
He what? Man I need to catch up.
Yeah, that little mention of body language being a language he can learn didn't come from Hickman, that was added to his powerset during Necrosha.

2097126-991938_1255556153a.jpg

2097129-1289754_cypher___sunspot_moonstar_1.jpg

In fact, he really shouldn't even be too concerned about the fight at all, if he was only worried about his skill as a fighter.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
To add during that fight in the Necrosa event his emotions were totally turned off. With them on he is probably a lot more hesitant and 2nd guessing. He's also no longer has the techno organic virus to improve his speed and reflexes (or at least it seems all the Necrosa revivals are purged)

He's just an athletic adult. Not superhuman, there is only so fast he can move, and so fast he can react.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Doug is safe, in fact after this week's issue of Cable I feel less confident about Kid-Cable making it out of XoS.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Doug is safe, in fact after this week's issue of Cable I feel less confident about Kid-Cable making it out of XoS.
im getting that vibe too, and it also has me wondering if that tease of Future old-man cable from earlier could come into play. Wonder if the touney rules allow for more than one version of the intended participant.
That said Kid-Cable is on the cover of that upcoming SWORD comic so...

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Honestly I still think everyone is safe. The deaths will be undone by Saturnyne Ala Roma after the X-Men defeated Adversary.

nitekrawler

Oct 28, 2017
I do think that Doug will die. "This body once belonged to a mutant who could communicate with anything. I maintain all that he was though he has long left this existence" Krakoa - PoX 2 - Moira's 9th life.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I do think that Doug will die. "This body once belonged to a mutant who could communicate with anything. I maintain all that he was though he has long left this existence" Krakoa - PoX 2 - Moira's 9th life.
That was the 9th life; things are supposed to be different now.

That sort of unison is probably what's going to keep Cypher from dying.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Even in Moira's 9 lives, there are some things that are just likely to happen. Like her going to Oxford at 16 happens in more timelines than not.
Some of those things are likely part of her plan.

But people are likely alive now because of the union formed by the Quiet Council that weren't alive in other lives. So this new setup could very well create the proper scenarios to get Doug in the situation where he survives.

Krakoa is paranoid about harm coming to him, so it wouldn't be out of the question for Krakoa to sneak itself into Otherworld and bond to Doug and Warlock to create Super Saiyan Grootlok.

This would probably be one of those things that foreshadows how mutants survive to the end and defeat the Phalanx. Man-Machine hybrids lead to doom and extinction, mutant-weird plant thing-machine chimeras lead to salvation.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
But wasn't that at least hundreds of years into the future? It doesn't really point to him dying soon. If anything, it could point to him surviving to have some type of symbiotic relationship with Krakoa.

Writers like Wells and Brisson (a little bit in this week's issue) have played up that Doug can be extremely formidable in combat by reading body language. In Wells' New Mutants run, he was soloing entire teams of mutants. I'm betting they'll play that beat again to give Doug a cool moment.

Doug's probably going to stick around to serve as Krakoa's voice and his relationship with Warlock is probably highly relevant in the coming technology vs evolution battle as the Technarchy are part of the endgame Moira's trying to beat.

nitekrawler

Oct 28, 2017
The quote says he long left existence. It could be in reference to an event long maybe even centuries past.

It's possible Doug could survive. I'm just not as convinced as many that just because something happened in a past life precludes it from happening in others.

I mean Doug could die and the information warlock had of his life stored into the TO virus plant they made to grow Groot Krakoa of the future.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Which comic was this?
X-Men Legacy.

Carey's whole run does an amazing job rehabilitating and elevating characters that had become dead ends or messes at the time: Rogue, Xavier, Gambit, Omega Sentinel, Frenzy, etc.

It's also obviously influential on Hickman's run despite never being the flagship X-book.