• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
To be fair
Excalibur is not a great book and New Mutants is you know......good
I've gone back and started reading it. It's better than I remembered the first time around, but it's also a very boring and confusing storyline, with LOTS of filler.

It seems clear to me that it only existed to set up X of Swords, so they had to pad it with other nonsense.

I'm enjoying X of Swords so far but I'm sad that we had to get excalibur in exchange for it

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
I like the cast but no one really pops.
They almost made Rictor really interesting with the whole Druid schtick... but they never seem to really capitalize on it

Lots of ALMOST cool ideas that just aren't fleshed out enough.

Jubilee unleashes more power than we've seen from her in this reality (close or more than her power levels in AoA)

FINALLY doing something with Shogo... sometimes

Jamie Braddock does something cool and almost helpful... but it doesn't matter and is "cleaned up" by Saturnyne

It's like they are afraid of doing anything but setting up X of Swords. Nothing seems to stick except Betsy as Captain Britain but it seems like they are setting it up to reverse that.

It's such a frustrating book.

It's like, "HERE ARE ALL THE 90S X-MEN YOU LOVE!... but we are just shunting them off to teh side with stories that ultimately have no impact on their characters"

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair
Excalibur is not a great book and New Mutants is you know......good
I didn't really enjoy either, but they might hold up on a reread.

More importantly, Hellions has reminded me that Sinister's modern portrayal remains my favourite character on the island. He is just a delight to read.

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
Guys... I think Cypher is gonna die.

Think of consequences... who will be the voice of Krakoa? Who will be able to maintain the Krakoan network?

Who will be Krakoa's closest friend...? :(

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
They almost made Rictor really interesting with the whole Druid schtick... but they never seem to really capitalize on it

Lots of ALMOST cool ideas that just aren't fleshed out enough.

Jubilee unleashes more power than we've seen from her in this reality (close or more than her power levels in AoA)

FINALLY doing something with Shogo... sometimes

Jamie Braddock does something cool and almost helpful... but it doesn't matter and is "cleaned up" by Saturnyne

It's like they are afraid of doing anything but setting up X of Swords. Nothing seems to stick except Betsy as Captain Britain but it seems like they are setting it up to reverse that.

It's such a frustrating book.

It's like, "HERE ARE ALL THE 90S X-MEN YOU LOVE!... but we are just shunting them off to teh side with stories that ultimately have no impact on their characters"
I don't know. With the exception of Marauders and that one issue with Glob Herman no one has really any real impact on their characters.

Excalibur to me seems to be much like the X-Men book. Alot of setup for future conflict down the road. And it's doing a lot ground building for mutant stories using magic. I see character progression in about anyone who's last name isn't Lebeau going on but it is a slower build I agree.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Guys... I think Cypher is gonna die.

Think of consequences... who will be the voice of Krakoa? Who will be able to maintain the Krakoan network?

Who will be Krakoa's closest friend...? :(
I just thought of something : make a clone before them going into Otherworld, load the backup into the clone's brain and put it in a coma/animated suspension/whatever.

If the X-Men dies, wake the copy up. If s/he doesn't get rid of it.

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
I just thought of something : make a clone before them going into Otherworld, load the backup into the clone's brain and put it in a coma/animated suspension/whatever.

If the X-Men dies, wake the copy up. If s/he doesn't get rid of it.
Only they can't do the full resurrection bit right now as they halted the cradle and destroyed all the eggs.

While they are making eggs again it's still going to be a bit before they can resume resurrections... And this fight is supposed to start in less than 3 days

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I just realized that Hellions is basically Fallen Angels done right.

Morally questionable characters doing their thing with a connection to Mr. Sinister.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
6cI5Fch.png

Zeb Wells needs to be on this book forever.

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
I just want a book with a team full of Sinisters... that's all... just Sinisters everywhere...

Only, one of them prefers the name Sinistar, and is looking for fame.

Dammit, just give me the book and I'll write it.

Oct 26, 2017
This issue of Hellions justifies the entire book imo. I've gone from This event has just made these characters click. Except Sinister who has been incredible in every appearance.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Hellions and New Mutants were great this week.

I love that capes have been a recurring theme with Sinister since HoX/PoX.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hellions was amazing. Sinister rules so much

Storm's plan seemed ridiculous last week, and it's going to be funny knowing all the shit she pulled off just to sit in the circle and wait for everyone else.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hellions was amazing. Sinister rules so much

Storm's plan seemed ridiculous last week, and it's going to be funny knowing all the shit she pulled off just to sit in the circle and wait for everyone else.
Look, she couldn't wait for T'Challa because she had to see seven people make their entrance.

Meanwhile, Nate made everyone wait because he wanted to play Event Horizon with his parents.

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
There is also the possibility that the scenes of the swordbearers approaching the ritual site are actually flash forwards and not happening in the current time

As in, we are seeing them all approach moments before the tournament of Swords begins

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love Empath's rebirth scene, I mean, at some point I figure mutants are gonna see ressurections as a small comodity.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel the issues leading to each swordweilder arriving are happening at the same time.

Zeb Wells is a god among men, I will never accept Sinister if not written by him or Hickman.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The X of Swords Handbook still lists Gabby as Scout and not Honey Badger.

This is some bullshit.

It also lists ForgetMeNot, Evan, Jimmy Hudson and Bloodstorm (!) as active X-Men.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, no, not at all.

They came back exactly how Xavier and Moira wanted them to be.

They are very much a Stepford couple right now... Very much not like how they were before krakoa.

Did we ever get a good answer as to the importance of Jean's costume?
i should've specified, I meant from the Vescora encounter.

Her Marvel Girl is supposed to signify her rebirth prior to her settling into her other outfit.

We already know it's the recolored X-Men Red suit; maybe she doesn't wear it unless she's fighting or something.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Any of you who read "Plumage, you philistine" as "ploomij" instead of "ploom-ahzh", read it again and thank me later.

Oct 25, 2017
The X of Swords Handbook still lists Gabby as Scout and not Honey Badger.

This is some bullshit.

It also lists ForgetMeNot, Evan, Jimmy Hudson and Bloodstorm (!) as active X-Men.

Oh wow that's kind of crazy. I think the last time we saw Jimmy Hudson he was still turned into Poison and I honestly didn't think he and Bloodstorm could get brought back because of universe nonsense

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
ForgetMeNot is in on every secret of Krakoa. They didn't let him in on them intentionally at first, but he's wandered into secret meetings so often by now that he started bullshitting that they let him in on it before they actually did.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Cable basically felt like set-up for the upcoming S.W.O.R.D book.

The bit at the end makes me think the psychic link Scott and Jean want to set up will be used to hijack Doug so someone with combat skills will "drive" him.

Hellions was hot shit, Sinister is such a magnificent bastard <3

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
Have anymore match ups in X of Swords been announced beside Betsy vs Isca? We already 100% know Wolverine matched up with Solem.

Magik's sword training of Cypher was great. Feel bad for Doug after what Magik said at the end though. Might be vocalized by Illyana just to keep Doug focused and on his toes, as he didn't completely approach the upcoming contest as a life and death situation.

Sinister is definitely the star of this week. His portrayal is so fucking genius.

I got that vibe from it too.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The bit at the end makes me think the psychic link Scott and Jean want to set up will be used to hijack Doug so someone with combat skills will "drive" him.
We know that Jean can telepathically absorb space shuttle piloting skills, and we know that each mutant has Krakoan telepathically implanted into them, so why can't a telepath implant Magik's sword combat skills into the group?

It wouldn't replace instinct, but it would at least help them get over the basics so they could train better.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
We know that Jean can telepathically absorb space shuttle piloting skills, and we know that each mutant has Krakoan telepathically implanted into them, so why can't a telepath implant Magik's sword combat skills into the group?

It wouldn't replace instinct, but it would at least help them get over the basics so they could train better.
And Doug has the advantage of being able to "read" the physical language of a figher as said in that very issue. Shit, they could even go one step further and give him a buffed up body through a fast tracked resurection.

The Doug fight has to have some "Rock Lee removing his weights" type of twist to it for that whole beat to make sense in the end.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

Tbf besides it being more exciting most of the people there don't need it they either already have great sword skills and/or already trained fighters

It's really just Cypher that would need it

But really its more exciting that way

Edit: also yeah Cypher can read body language and he used it to read moves