• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if Solem being the exact opposite of Wolverine is my kind of smart or my kind of stupid.

He even was in a romantic triangle of sorts with War and her man 😅

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I don't know if Solem being the exact opposite of Wolverine is my kind of smart or my kind of stupid.

I guess that's why right now I find him boring. He's basically the template for a Wolverine villian.

Have adamantium/unbreakable weapon/claws? Check
Be a distorted reflection of Logan to show either how bestially, evil, cruel or civilized he could be? Check.
Have him show a superior skill the first time they meet either by beating him handedly or defeating someone he didn't? Check.

All of these equally apply to Sabertooth, Silver Samurai, Razor Fist, Cyber, Albert, Romulus, Daken, Lady Deathstrike, etc.

If they confirm he has a healing factor too then he is even more just the basic template Wolverine villain.

I don't know maybe there will be more to him later but right now he's just the standard Wolverine villain to me.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Ages ago, when they were a thing, I used to hate crossovers that took over every book, but boy is it great to read the same story in three books back to back. Plus, this will make for a great collection.
100 percent agree. See that's the thing they did this smartly and not rushing it. They had all the comics pretty much not start any grand storylines before this and ended the ones they are on right before it and didnt feel rushed. I dont think ive ever seen an event where the tie ins are not bullshit or the event is short with very little tie ins. This is a 22 issue event through an entire line of comics. Chapters 1-5 so far have felt like chapters from a book vs 5 issues of different comics. If the quality holds, i dont think I can give an example of a better executed event.

TriceraPops

Oct 25, 2017
Did I miss the resolution to the Children of the Vault plot line? Like what happened to Darwin, X-23 and that other mutant stuck in the vault?

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Did I miss the resolution to the Children of the Vault plot line? Like what happened to Darwin, X-23 and that other mutant stuck in the vault?

The other guy was Skin and we haven't heard back from them at all. It's up there with Mystique as one of the bigger shoes to drop I'm assuming, since a whole issue was used to set it up.

Edit: Or was his name Sync? I don't recall.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
100 percent agree. See that's the thing they did this smartly and not rushing it. They had all the comics pretty much not start any grand storylines before this and ended the ones they are on right before it and didnt feel rushed. I dont think ive ever seen an event where the tie ins are not bullshit or the event is short with very little tie ins. This is a 22 issue event through an entire line of comics. Chapters 1-5 so far have felt like chapters from a book vs 5 issues of different comics. If the quality holds, i dont think I can give an example of a better executed event.
And it's modular enough that could skip all the "X-Men going on a quest to get their swords" issues and still be able to understand what's going on in the next X of Swords issue, I think.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
The Children of the Vault thing is just one of the many dangling threads the X line has going on. Just from the Hickman written books you also have a situation with the Brood, whatever deal is going on with Cypher/Warlock and Krakoa, Moira, Mystique righteously fucking shit up, maaaybe if I'm right Exodus getting the spotlight with it being hinted at via all the scenes he got telling kids mutant stories by the fire (I've been getting huge Xorn in New X-Men vibes from those) and then on top of that you have stuff going on in other books.

Seems like Hickman is trying to emulate some of the feel of Claremont's run. And getting it right so far.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The Children of the Vault thing is just one of the many dangling threads the X line has going on. Just from the Hickman written books you also have a situation with the Brood, whatever deal is going on with Cypher/Warlock and Krakoa, Moira, Mystique righteously fucking shit up, maaaybe if I'm right Exodus getting the spotlight with it being hinted at via all the scenes he got telling kids mutant stories by the fire (I've been getting huge Xorn in New X-Men vibes from those) and then on top of that you have stuff going on in other books.

Seems like Hickman is trying to emulate some of the feel of Claremont's run. And getting it right so far.
Well that and it's a Hickman thing in general just now extend to an entire line

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
You mean Storm framing the wait for T'Challa as being world-endingly negligent, only for him to then meet her on the way out of the facility was contrived? Turns out all she had to do was take a power nap and avoid alienating an entire country apparently. The best part is when Storm returned with the sword, she was literally the third one back and is now gonna just sit there and wait.

lol true

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
You mean Storm framing the wait for T'Challa as being world-endingly negligent, only for him to then meet her on the way out of the facility was contrived? Turns out all she had to do was take a power nap and avoid alienating an entire country apparently. The best part is when Storm returned with the sword, she was literally the third one back and is now gonna just sit there and wait.
Yeah, Storm should've expected that going to Wakanda and saying "we're on the cusp of some world ending shit" would get T'Challa to show up in hours rather than days if he wasn't involved in some world ending shit himself at the time.

But for the latter point, we don't exactly know how long each person has been waiting. For all we know, it's a matter of several minutes.
Some potentially pretty big spoilers out there from outside the comic books, be careful.

bleedingcool.com

Does Marvel's Contest Of Champions Reveal Krakoa Secrets? (Spoilers)

Marvel's Contest Of Champions continues to be a successful mobile game and recently has an update including elements of recent X-Men titles, including
I highly doubt this spoils anything. Saying "It was me all along Austin!" is a much easier sell to the public than a woman who is secretly a mutant dies and starts the timeline over again to gain more memories to stop the collective intelligence of humanity from merging with machines in the future to become dense enough to collapse into a black hole and escape space-time in order to become a god.

That sentence is ridiculous as fuck.

Both!

I guess that's why right now I find him boring. He's basically the template for a Wolverine villian.

Have adamantium/unbreakable weapon/claws? Check
Be a distorted reflection of Logan to show either how bestially, evil, cruel or civilized he could be? Check.
Have him show a superior skill the first time they meet either by beating him handedly or defeating someone he didn't? Check.

All of these equally apply to Sabertooth, Silver Samurai, Razor Fist, Cyber, Albert, Romulus, Daken, Lady Deathstrike, etc.

If they confirm he has a healing factor too then he is even more just the basic template Wolverine villain.

I don't know maybe there will be more to him later but right now he's just the standard Wolverine villain to me.
I don't understand how he got Adamantium when he was locked up in an alternate dimensional prison for centuries and was only out on Earth for a day at most.

Wolverine & co are still in there. It's probably been a thousand years for them.
Wonder what it means for Laura. Darwin isn't going to age since his body is going to adjust to the Vault atmosphere. Synch is going to copy his powers and not age.

So that just leaves Laura, who, even though she ages slower, isn't going to look and be dubiously "late teens" forever once inside. Unless the Darwin/Synch combo somehow allows them to extend some weird ass energy field to Laura that also makes her immune to the temporal field thing, so she biologically progresses based on regular physics instead of super science time manipulation.

Or they escape, die, and just get resurrected and make it a moot point.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think there's actually much to Exodus, but you did forget Vulcan!

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's his mutant power though its convenient one
Would people from ancient know what Adamantium is?
Admantium is a post-WWII invention, so they shouldn't know it.

It would make sense if Solem had Adamantine, since that shit is old and indestructible. But I guess Solem fighting the Olympians long enough to steal it wouldn't jive.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Admantium is a post-WWII invention, so they shouldn't know it.

It would make sense if Solem had Adamantine, since that shit is old and indestructible. But I guess Solem fighting the Olympians long enough to steal it wouldn't jive.
So i guess Solem the Wolverine rival has a really convenient mutant power

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

I don't think there's actually much to Exodus, but you did forget Vulcan!
Ahah yes, you're right. Exciting times, I really hope Hickman stays on board for a looooong time.
And to think that DC passed Hickman's Legion of Superheroes pitch in favor of Bendis.
Geez.
At least we got this awesome run as a trade off.

There's also some sort of AI inside The World that Cypher talked to.

"Be seeing you, too"

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
And to think that DC passed Hickman's Legion of Superheroes pitch in favor of Bendis.
Geez.
At least we got this awesome run as a trade off.
Yeah it's crazy. While 2020 has been bad in a lot of ways. At least we got Dawn of X.

There is some alternate timeline where shit is all bad and the X-Men comics are still just spinning their wheels.

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
I haven't kept up with mainstream comics this much since like, Blackest Night - in the contemporary state of the industry how long is something like Hickman's run on X expected to last? I'm aware it seems to be pretty popular and selling well, what kind of length could we expect?

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
After all this talk about Storm being changed after X of Swords, I'm predicting that she will die in Otherworld and, after a lengthy discussion and mourning period (and maybe even an attempt to bypass the Otherworld consequences) she will be resurrected and be different...

Also, those resurrection ceremonies and rituals where they ask the reborn how we can know they are the same have a very interesting impact now that we know what Otherworld does to those who die and come back...

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
After all this talk about Storm being changed after X of Swords, I'm predicting that she will die in Otherworld and, after a lengthy discussion and mourning period (and maybe even an attempt to bypass the Otherworld consequences) she will be resurrected and be different...

Also, those resurrection ceremonies and rituals where they ask the reborn how we can know they are the same have a very interesting impact now that we know what Otherworld does to those who die and come back...
This idea has been on my mind since the last issue of X Factor. Some of the Mutants *will* die in Otherworld and come back "different." It's going to be an opportunity to revamp those characters at least for while. Who do you all think is at risk here from a creative standpoint? Who does Marvel want to "relaunch"?

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
This idea has been on my mind since the last issue of X Factor. Some of the Mutants *will* die in Otherworld and come back "different." It's going to be an opportunity to revamp those characters at least for while. Who do you all think is at risk here from a creative standpoint? Who does Marvel want to "relaunch"?

Who all is on the Krakoa team again?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Unless Marvel has balls
It won't be:
  1. Storm
  2. Wolverine
  3. Probably not Magik
  4. Probably not Cable, he's still too new
  5. Betsy just became captain Britain
Who all is on the Krakoa team again?
Based on Polaris prophecy and the interpretation given in like chapter 2 (Xfactor 4) of x of swords
Wolverine
Storm
Magik
Cipher/warlock
Young Cable
Either Brian or Betsy Captain Britain or both
Gorgon
Apocalypse

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The list for Krakoa team
rco040_1601482763fzjyf.jpg

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Unless Marvel has balls
It won't be:
  1. Storm
  2. Wolverine
  3. Probably not Magik
  4. Probably not Cable, he's still too new
  5. Betsy just became captain Britain

Based on Polaris prophecy and the interpretation given in like chapter 2 (Xfactor 4) of x of swords
Wolverine
Storm
Magik
Cipher/warlock
Young Cable
Either Brian or Betsy Captain Britain or both
Gorgon
Apocalypse

Thanks.

None of those characters need a reboot or are suffering any lack of popularity whatsoever. I don't think that's the move here. There are going to be losses and Storm could still be one of them given they're still talking about big stuff happening with her next year, but I think the protocols are going to be fixed.

The reason they're "broken" is because the team doesn't yet understand how/why Otherworld is affecting them and that's not just going to be a question with no answer, solving it is going to be a top priority. If not during this event, than in Excalibur and X-Factor afterward, or so I would guess. Rockslide can't even speak straight, so there's definitely more to it than a somewhat clever excuse to introduce alternate takes on certain characters.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if you need a jobber to show how serious the Stakes are, Gorgon is probably my bet, he's like the only one that's not popular or important to the krakoa saga

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
Also, question... Why does this happen with Otherworld but not Mojo world... It's more than just distance and I'm not sure it's something to do with Otherworld's nature so much as someone affecting the loss/merging of persons from other AUs

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
Also, isn't the Siege Perilous something magic like Otherworld?

Is this another Siege Perilous?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Also, question... Why does this happen with Otherworld but not Mojo world... It's more than just distance and I'm not sure it's something to do with Otherworld's nature so much as someone affecting the loss/merging of persons from other AUs
Mojoworld is just another dimension whose people have advanced to get people from other universe for tv
Otherworld is basically the nexus of the Multiverse as in its connected to every universe plus its magic

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Gorgon is probably going to bite it here. I like him, but he really feels like the least important person in this list.

Also I'm not at all surprised Hickman is using him here after the way Hickman used him in Secret Warriors.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
There's also some sort of AI inside The World that Cypher talked to.

"Be seeing you, too"

There's also the scientist who's husband was killed on Sol's Anvil/Hammer. In X-Men #1 the final page was her holding a crystal and saying that she has a way to resurrect him. Either the crystal is a shard of the M'kran Crystal or she want to convert the resurrection protocol to work for humans.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
My best guess is because while Mojo World is connected to all dimensions its not a literal nexus. Mojoworld actually remains unaffected by dimensional and timeline changes. Otherworld is where all those dimensional and timeline changes flow through.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
There's also the scientist who's husband was killed on Sol's Anvil/Hammer. In X-Men #1 the final page was her holding a crystal and saying that she has a way to resurrect him. Either the crystal is a shard of the M'kran Crystal or she want to convert the resurrection protocol to work for humans.

I got the impression it was a shiar storage crystal and she was going to upload her husband to Nimrod.

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
Also, who else loves this cross-over format where each issue ISN'T some crappy tie-in that only covers the book's primary characters, but just another chapter in the story that can involve anyone, including those not seen in the book at all, and exclude anyone, including those who "own" the book?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

It looked like the creation of Nimrod

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
It looked like the creation of Nimrod

Huh, I wonder if what might happen is the older scientist ends up being the one to implant his consciousness into Nimrod, maybe even stabbing Dr Gregor in the back to it. The old guy has a personality closer to Nimrod The Greater than Dr. Gregor's husband did.