• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
We are gonna need a deeper cleavage on Emma cos it's the only way I can tell her apart from Otherworld Queen lady.
Then there was the time the human version of Saturnyne became the White Queen of the Hellfire Club.

fea9439dcf8ef2f65a3781cd04626c9f.jpg

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Like the one big thing that I don't think enough people consider about Krakoa is something Exodus said.
unknown.png
"You -- all of you -- will grow and play and live and love as you should."

Holy fuck, do you know how astonishing that is? For all the complaints people have about Krakoa? Mutant children who don't have to grow up being trained for war. Who get to just be kids. Because they don't have to fight for their lives. They have adults who are numerous and powerful enough to actually protect them. For the first time the mutant teams don't have to be wholly or partially made up of god damn child soldiers.

Some will choose to learn how to fight, just like some kids go into ROTC in High School. But it's an actual choice. They don't have to. Plenty won't. At least not until they're grown. And maybe not even then.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Like the one big thing that I don't think enough people consider about Krakoa is something Exodus said.
unknown.png

Holy fuck, do you know how astonishing that is? For all the complaints people have about Krakoa? Mutant children who don't have to grow up being trained for war. Who get to just be kids. Because they don't have to fight for their lives. They have adults who are numerous and powerful enough to actually protect them. For the first time the mutant teams don't have to be wholly or partially made up of god damn child soldiers.

Some will choose to learn how to fight, just like some kids go into ROTC in High School. But it's an actual choice. They don't have to. Plenty won't. At least not until they're grown. And maybe not even then.
It's a choice for now, but we know we're going to get the story where those kids turn to war.

And then the collective telepaths will download Wolverine fighting skills into their minds so they can fight and fight fast.

But then they'll neglect to put in the fighting instincts and tactical thinking so a bunch of kids get massacred because they stall.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
It's a choice for now,
Which is better than it never having been a choice at all. I'm not talking what future writers may do with Krakoa, I'm talking why I find this notion that mutants finally having somewhere they're not constantly, mercilessly persecuted that has some kind of resilience is a bad thing bizarre.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Which is better than it never having been a choice at all. I'm not talking what future writers may do with Krakoa, I'm talking why I find this notion that mutants finally having somewhere they're not constantly, mercilessly persecuted that has some kind of resilience is a bad thing bizarre.
They've always had the same choice in the grand scheme, though. Other than the first and second class. Past Kitty and the New Mutants, there was always the presentation of just kids going to school until shit popped off and they were presented with the option of going to war.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
They've always had the same choice in the grand scheme, though. Other than the first and second class. Past Kitty and the New Mutants, there was always the presentation of just kids going to school until shit popped off and they were presented with the option of going to war.

Still not thinking broadly enough here.

Adder is talking about a generation of mutants raised in an environment where they are not at the bottom of the social stratus - they are the social stratus. It's the same difference as a Pakistan-born and bread Muslim vs an American Muslim child born and raised in the states. Those are going to be two very different experiences from their outset.

Now obviously the mutants on Krakoa are still going to know about anti-mutant prejudice and that the world is hostile to them (and with the amount of incursions the place has already seen, they couldn't ignore it if they want to), but that hostility isn't going to be so central to their lives. Now culture will occupy that space. It's very clear generational divide that Krakoa has established.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Still not thinking broadly enough here.

Adder is talking about a generation of mutants raised in an environment where they are not at the bottom of the social stratus - they are the social stratus. It's the same difference as a Pakistan-born and bread Muslim vs an American Muslim child born and raised in the states. Those are going to be two very different experiences from their outset.

Now obviously the mutants on Krakoa are still going to know about anti-mutant prejudice and that the world is hostile to them (and with the amount of incursions the place has already seen, they couldn't ignore it if they want to), but that hostility isn't going to be so central to their lives. Now culture will occupy that space. It's very clear generational divide that Krakoa has established.
When you put it that way, yeah, it makes more sense to me.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
unknown.png

There has been a data page mentionning how only 2% or so of the mutant population is voluntarily going into combat training and how Krakoa's leadership is thinking of maybe having to force some training in the future. It may have been in X-Men #11 but I'm not sure.

It sure is an interesting thing going on.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
There has been a data page mentionning how only 2% or so of the mutant population is voluntarily going into combat training and how Krakoa's leadership is thinking of maybe having to force some training in the future. It may have been in X-Men #11 but I'm not sure.

It sure is an interesting thing going on.

Like other nations, they will have to eventually add incentives to join, and I wonder if that will be how they slow-drip chimeras into the mutant population.

"Uncle -A- Needs You! Free secondary power after completion of basic training!"

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
You know it won't happen but It would be funny if the X-Men won each battle with no additional casualties on thier side.

Instead though I expect a Gift of Roma type thing like after Fall of the Mutants.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Why is Wolverine surprised that someone has adamantium coated skin? Did he for get Cyber existed? Granted we all want to do that, but why did he forget?

Also I see we are back to giving all of Wolverine's enemies adamantium.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was surprised that Percy wrote both Wolverine and X-Force this week. They're two halves of the same story, but Wolverine's writing is incredibly pretentious, while X-Force's was more traditional comic book fun.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ohhh so many books today! good times!

Wolverine #6: XoS chapter 3.
I really liked the art. I'm not sold on Solem as a character, yet the Arakko scenes are welcome to flesh out those other people.

X-Force #13: XoS chapter 4.
Oh my! this is a direct follow up of Wolverine with even the same creative team! cool.
Interesting that "hell" is a place that could connect different dimensions. It kinda makes sense.
So, Solem has adamantium skin, poor Cyber never got close to being unique.
Of course there are 2 Muramasa swords, I think everyone saw that coming.
Got to admit it, I liked this issue more than Wolverine's, also I was wrong on Solem, I got the idea he was an edgelord, but he is actually interesting. It sets up good things to come.

Marauders #13. XoS chapter 5.
I LOVE Storm's new look. She looks like a true goddess.
What a cool issue. Loved the facing idealogies, loved the art, loved Shuri.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ages ago, when they were a thing, I used to hate crossovers that took over every book, but boy is it great to read the same story in three books back to back. Plus, this will make for a great collection.

Oct 25, 2017
Marauders was the favorite this week for me

Wolverine just does nothing for me as a character but I liked Solem a lot. That's seems to be the case for me though where Wolverine feels like a trope at this point but his nemesis's are bettwr

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Solem was great. I want to read more from him. I enjoyed Marauders, Storm is amazing but they better not be bringing back the Storm/Tchalla pairing. The art was pretty bad also.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Marauders was the favorite this week for me

Wolverine just does nothing for me as a character but I liked Solem a lot. That's seems to be the case for me though where Wolverine feels like a trope at this point but his nemesis's are bettwr

Yeah, this is me. Wolverine and X-Force were OK. Solem is cool. He's entertaining.

Marauders was fantastic. This is the best argument for a Storm solo Marvel has published in a while. Loved the discussion with Shuri and Storm's stealth suit is awesome. I have like negative amounts of interest in Children of The Atom, but I'll definitely keep an eye on Ayala from here on.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is me. Wolverine and X-Force were OK. Solem is cool. He's entertaining.

Marauders was fantastic. This is the best argument for a Storm solo Marvel has published in a while. Loved the discussion with Shuri and Storm's stealth suit is awesome. I have like negative amounts of interest in Children of The Atom, but I'll definitely keep an eye on Ayala from here on.
I was so bummed when her most recent solo got cancelled, 'Ro is definitely in need of her own ongoing.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I did not expect to like Solem as much as I did; it's always fun when the villain is both the opposite and similar to the hero in a number of different ways. Dang good introduction to the character.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting quote from White in AIPT today...

AIPT: Interesting. Now, John Wyatt was wondering if you're able to clarify Saturnyne's current power levels?

Jordan:
No, I can't.

AIPT: [Laughs] Well, we have seen quite a range in her abilities since Excalibur.

Jordan:
Well, she didn't have the job she has now. She's now the head of all of Otherworld. I mean, she used to answer to Roma. Now she answers to no one and I think that she is more powerful in addition. You'll note that her power is magical in nature, which is not to say, therefore, it can be anything. No, I meant in the sense that, as opposed to mutant powers where they need to follow, like in the sense of–the powers are based on weather, so Storm can do this and she can do this because that is connected to weather in this way. Saturnyne's powers are magic-based. Therefore, she can gain power through study and ceremony. They don't have to be linked in the chain of power the way that a mutant's powers tend to, if you know what I'm saying.

So the fact is, yes, she is more powerful now than she was in the old Excaliburcomics. I think in part because she has, like I said, a different role in Otherworld and also because Otherworld itself has changed since it was destroyed and then brought back in the aftermath of Secret Wars. So yeah, she's very different. And I think that her powers are probably beyond our comprehension.
https://aiptcomics.com/2020/10/05/x-men-monday-78-x-of-swords-week-3/

First of all: LOL

Second: So his answer here is interesting to me because it implies two things. The first - and his elaboration seems to support this - is that Saturnyne might be one of the strongest sorcerers in the MU now? I'm wondering how she compares to Strange, but also (because this is Hickman) I'm wondering where she would stand next to God Emperor Doom. Obviously putting together a tournament isn't quite on the level of Battleworld, but that leads me to the second thing which is: I think White might be being evasive here because, in addition to her powers being hard to quantify, Saturnyne might actually intervene during this whole event and really put her powers on display. It wouldn't surprise me if the Arakko side tries to cheat* somehow (looking at you, Summoner) and she has to keep the train on the track in a way that really showcases how strong she really is.

*= I don't really see Krakoa side cheating, other than maybe -:[A]:- trying to pull something out of both hubris and desperation. Regardless I don't think it'll work.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It didn't occur to me until now, but an X-Men comic totally just rewrote the ancient history of Wakanda, right?

I'm surprised the X line is allowed to be that far-reaching. It must be top tier at Marvel right now.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
It didn't occur to me until now, but an X-Men comic totally just rewrote the ancient history of Wakanda, right?

I'm surprised the X line is allowed to be that far-reaching. It must be top tier at Marvel right now.
Hickman gave Black Panther the power to talk to all previous Black Panthers in a Fantastic Four issue.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, I really enjoyed the Wolverine story (mainly for the art) and found Marauders a bit dull.
Marauders has been better than Wolverine, but I think Wolvie takes it this week because it was a surprise. From the moment we got the panel of Shuri glaring, we knew the next several beats.

I didn't think it was dull, but it being telegraphed brought it down a bit.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Marauders has been better than Wolverine, but I think Wolvie takes it this week because it was a surprise. From the moment we got the panel of Shuri glaring, we knew the next several beats.

I didn't think it was dull, but it being telegraphed brought it down a bit.
I like Storm and the Panther family this week but i feel like the conflict was a bit contrived even though no one is really out of character

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
I like Storm and the Panther family this week but i feel like the conflict was a bit contrived even though no one is really out of character
You mean Storm framing the wait for T'Challa as being world-endingly negligent, only for him to then meet her on the way out of the facility was contrived? Turns out all she had to do was take a power nap and avoid alienating an entire country apparently. The best part is when Storm returned with the sword, she was literally the third one back and is now gonna just sit there and wait.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
You mean Storm framing the wait for T'Challa as being world-endingly negligent, only for him to then meet her on the way out of the facility was contrived? Turns out all she had to do was take a power nap and avoid alienating an entire country apparently. The best part is when Storm returned with the sword, she was literally the third one back and is now gonna just sit there and wait.
Yeah it's weird
It's Shuri and T'challa even though Wakandan politics always makes things difficult they were never going to really fuck storm over especially when Storm is still basically family and they've not going to let politics get in the way of the world
The story is still good and Storm is great but the conflict could have been better

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that whole conflict felt very contrived. Similar to Avengers vs X-Men, Storm was 100% in the right. POSSIBLE civil War vs planetary annihilation? Easy choice.

That and they said "oh he'll be back in a few days' and then he was there that night.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Some potentially pretty big spoilers out there from outside the comic books, be careful.

bleedingcool.com

Does Marvel's Contest Of Champions Reveal Krakoa Secrets? (Spoilers)

Marvel's Contest Of Champions continues to be a successful mobile game and recently has an update including elements of recent X-Men titles, including
I think that's pretty unlikely. Feels like "This Easter Egg we found in the background of one frame of Spider-Man Far From Home reveals who next big bad is" kind of article.