• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
So one interesting tidbit I caught from X-Factor:

Xavier and Magneto wanted Apocalypse to lead the Quiet Council in the first place

That had to have been at Moira's urging because of her previous life with him, right?

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
I wonder how they decided that Rockslide would be the poor guy to take the L.

I'm thinking that the resurrection protocols will get jacked up by this event beyond what's set up here. When you've reached a point that death is treated so casually that they'd rather just die and revive than treat injuries they've clearly crossed a line and something will go terribly wrong.

Apocalypse did NOT seem pleased by that mindset. Looks like the mutants are already becoming complacent.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember, has it been acknowledged within the books yet how kinda fucked the resurrection protocols are? Because they aren't actually bringing you back to life, they're creating a copy of you with identical memories. The Kitty Pryde who died in the ocean wasn't revived on Krakoa; the Kitty who drowned in the ocean is still there, drowned, and the one who Emma helped out of her egg on the island is an identical new body with an identical set of memories.

I feel like Kurt has been showing displeasure in it since Kate drowned. I think it's been getting sprinkled more as the lead up this event

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember, has it been acknowledged within the books yet how kinda fucked the resurrection protocols are? Because they aren't actually bringing you back to life, they're creating a copy of you with identical memories. The Kitty Pryde who died in the ocean wasn't revived on Krakoa; the Kitty who drowned in the ocean is still there, drowned, and the one who Emma helped out of her egg on the island is an identical new body with an identical set of memories.
The Ship of Theseus is a philosophical question for a reason. Just because you have a certain view on the correct answer to that question doesn't mean every piece of fiction you read is going to operate on that same answer.

Until one of the several mutants who actually have soul-related powers or knowledge chimes in, I'm operating under the assumption that this fiction doesn't subscribe to that answer.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how they decided that Rockslide would be the poor guy to take the L.

I'm thinking that the resurrection protocols will get jacked up by this event beyond what's set up here. When you've reached a point that death is treated so casually that they'd rather just die and revive than treat injuries they've clearly crossed a line and something will go terribly wrong.
The X-Factor issue post-XoS suggests exactly this, so I'm looking forward to December.

Objectively it's cloning. In-series, it's "resurrection".

I don't know if there's some sort of actual magic that makes the cloning actually resurrection, but I'm hoping we have more scenes down the line that lean into the ambiguity, like in Empyre with the two Explodey Boys.

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
The X-Factor issue post-XoS suggests exactly this, so I'm looking forward to December.

Objectively it's cloning. In-series, it's "resurrection".

I don't know if there's some sort of actual magic that makes the cloning actually resurrection, but I'm hoping we have more scenes down the line that lean into the ambiguity, like in Empyre with the two Explodey Boys.

It seems inevitable that there will be a situation where a mutant is "resurrected" while the original is alive, leading to the debate which one is the "real" version? At this point, any mutant who has been resurrected technically isn't the real, "original" version, so where do you draw the line?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I would actually say that the latest X Factor actually just disproves that's what's going on.

If the Nexus of reality can infect the backups and give us a rockslide who isn't our rockslide than that suggests that is actually the soul or the Animus that is being put back in the body.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't part of the in-universe explanation that their 'soul' or whatever was attracted from the Astral plane during the process, so that it wasn't really cloning with identical memories?

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay I'm curious about what the people who don't like X-Factor thought today because this issue had a completely different tone.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
First time we get a glimpse from Moira since HoxPox.

Issue was pretty good, this is why you keep a backup copy offline my dudes.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
X-Factor was rad, liked how they shook up the death protocol.

I guess that means that they really CAN'T accidentally create a clone of a living mutant given how Otherworld fucks with the backup somehow?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
X-Factor was rad, liked how they shook up the death protocol.

I guess that means that they really CAN'T accidentally create a clone of a living mutant given how Otherworld fucks with the backup somehow?
I read it as they can only guarantee a proper backup if they die within this aspect of the universe. If they go to another universe or another dimension and die, then they might not be properly resurrected.

Or at least, dimensions that serve as some nexus like Otherworld, the M'Krann Crystal, or Omnipotence City.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Mags and X cold blooded with those words to a dying Apocalypse.

Man what does Moira do being by herself all the time? All in quarantine before it became cool.

Speaking of Moira and Poccy, he's gonna have to be made aware of her right, he was essentially the 3rd pillar for Moira. She needed to get him, Xavier and Magneto to work together. Maybe him getting broken down by this event is what leads to him meeting Moira and going along with her.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
The Academy X kids always have it rough. Poor Santo he will be missed.

Speaking of. Did Prodigy get his powers back? Because if he has them back and still has his retain it all ability he's gonna be dangerous quick.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Mags and X cold blooded with those words to a dying Apocalypse.

Man what does Moira do being by herself all the time? All in quarantine before it became cool.

Speaking of Moira and Poccy, he's gonna have to be made aware of her right, he was essentially the 3rd pillar for Moira. She needed to get him, Xavier and Magneto to work together. Maybe him getting broken down by this event is what leads to him meeting Moira and going along with her.
Moira likely dips out to Paris or Tokyo; she does have a portal to wherever in her No-Place. I doubt she's there most of the time and recreationally goes to where no one will recognize her. And with her being blind to mutant scans, she can go anywhere.
The Academy X kids always have it rough. Poor Santo he will be missed.

Speaking of. Did Prodigy get his powers back? Because if he has them back and still has his retain it all ability he's gonna be dangerous quick.
Prodigy is back and he has his powers.

Wasn't part of the in-universe explanation that their 'soul' or whatever was attracted from the Astral plane during the process, so that it wasn't really cloning with identical memories?
IIRC it was explained three parts are involved with rez:

1. Purely physical body, the husk
2. Backup of memories and a personality engram from Cerebro
3. Xavier, or another powerful telepath, inserting some kind of psionic "essence" into the husk's physical brain while Cerebro reinserts memories and personality framework.

I figure the psionic part is the key, as if the telepath is reattaching the physical body to the astral body. But people can still lose memories storied only in the material brain, if their backup is not recent enough.

But yeah explodin' kid raised the specter that matters of the soul are ambiguous. The kid died on Genosha, and his Cerebro recording was used to restore him on Krakoa. His Zombie version was resurrected by magic, and had all of his memories pulled from... somewhere. They both could exist at the same time.

Personally, I think back to Logan and Kurt's conversation at the airlock in the opening miniseries about the afterlife and soul. I can't help but feel that eventually all of these deaths are in some way going to be proven quite real.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
We better get an announcement of the Moira book after this or soon after. Still say there's no way you do an issue like House #2 and not follow up.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Moira likely dips out to Paris or Tokyo; she does have a portal to wherever in her No-Place. I doubt she's there most of the time and recreationally goes to where no one will recognize her. And with her being blind to mutant scans, she can go anywhere.
Prodigy is back and he has his powers.

Well he's been "back" ever since the 3-in-1 unlocked his stored skills. I just didn't recall if he got his actual powers back as well. Considering Academy X did a story where he nearly destroyed the world and created a dystopia when he could both absorb skills and keep them indefinitely wonder if we'll ever get a hint of that.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Well he's been "back" ever since the 3-in-1 unlocked his stored skills. I just didn't recall if he got his actual powers back as well. Considering Academy X did a story where he nearly destroyed the world and created a dystopia when he could both absorb skills and keep them indefinitely wonder if we'll ever get a hint of that.
He's a member of X-Factor; that's where they said his powers are back.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
So this is how they're going to add stakes to this tournament. Interestingly, even though losing results in "true death," practically speaking, this might be an occasion to reintroduce the fallen as augmented versions of the X-men we all know; perhaps with a different expression of their power set.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. How did I miss that.
You were asleep!

So this is how they're going to add stakes to this tournament. Interestingly, even though losing results in "true death," practically speaking, this might be an occasion to reintroduce the fallen as augmented versions of the X-men we all know; perhaps with a different expression of their power set.
I doubt we'll get to that point yet; we'll likely just have some characters be dead only to be cloned by Sinister later. Or maybe the amalgam persona could be sifted through in order to get the manifestation of the native version of each character to shine through.

That could lead to the next X-Men crossover, where they have to fight themselves from another universe because their adapted Resurrection Protocols rob the X-Men of Earth 818 from bringing their own back since their souls are snatched.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Emma took this extremely hard (like, nearly as hard as Polaris) and we know from HOX/POX the kids are her prime motivator. Definitely going to be interesting to see if she makes any moves in response.

And ditto NuRockslide. He might have powers or abilities now that we just haven't seen yet.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
He might! That's the thing, there's pretty much always info we're missing.
It makes far too much sense in retrospect. They've always hinted that Rockslide might just be some psychic entity inhabiting a rock and Hickman pretty much confirmed that Rockslide is an energy being inhabiting rock, so this could very well be some gaping flaw that was never accounted for since Santo is trapped in Otherworld and can't leave. And since he can't leave, he can't truly be recalled by Cerebro, and since he can't be recalled thanks to being tethered to Otherworld, Cerebro is instead drawing in other Santos.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It makes far too much sense in retrospect. They've always hinted that Rockslide might just be some psychic entity inhabiting a rock and Hickman pretty much confirmed that Rockslide is an energy being inhabiting rock, so this could very well be some gaping flaw that was never accounted for since Santo is trapped in Otherworld and can't leave. And since he can't leave, he can't truly be recalled by Cerebro, and since he can't be recalled thanks to being tethered to Otherworld, Cerebro is instead drawing in other Santos.

What if they just didn't give him enough time to reform. I mean dude used to look like this:

Then Nimrod blew him apart and he used the surrounding rubble to become this:

5750255-young_x-men_vol_1_7_textless.jpg

Then deatroyed in Limbo and became this:

200px-XMEN-Rockslide-Limborock.jpg

And so on and so on.

Plus the Summoner revealing that he is an energy being is nothing new. That is what they said about him the first time he reformed.

Hmmm. Maybe the real problem was trying to bring a backup to life for a mutant still alive.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. Maybe the real problem was trying to bring a backup to life for a mutant still alive.

I think that's the consensus right now. Because he "died" in Otherworld, it's a death that's not quantifiable in normal terms like a death in the 616 would be, and that's if he's actually dead at all.

Summoner could've imbued his attack with specific magic as well. He knew how Rockslide's physical makeup worked from them playing that game. Would he have killed Anole or Loa in the same way? Would he even be able to? We don't know how much him learning Rockslide's "weakness" plays into things or if doesn't really matter at all.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Actually if dying into a world that is connected to multiple dimensions at once can corrupt the backup.

That means Wind Dancer is screwed. Mojoworld is connected to the entire multiverse as well. It's the only one in the entire multiverse so it might cause some problems.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Actually if dying into a world that is connected to multiple dimensions at once can corrupt the backup.

That means Wind Dancer is screwed. Mojoworld is connected to the entire multiverse as well. It's the only one in the entire multiverse so it might cause some problems.
Mojoworld was never described as a nexus.

The Negative Zone is the only one in the multiverse, and can be accessed from every universe in the multiverse, but it's not a nexus.

If you open a door and step into the hallway, the other door in front of you would lead to Mojoworld. Every other door in the hallway is pointing right at the door to Mojoworld too.

Otherworld is the hallway.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Mojoworld was never described as a nexus.

The Negative Zone is the only one in the multiverse, and can be accessed from every universe in the multiverse, but it's not a nexus.

If you open a door and step into the hallway, the other door in front of you would lead to Mojoworld. Every other door in the hallway is pointing right at the door to Mojoworld too.

Otherworld is the hallway.

That is a good point. It's funny getting to remember all this mystic stuff from Fall of the Mutants and Excalibur and how much like space opera, mysticism has been tied to the X-Men for a very long time. Starting with Island M and Belasco.

That does remind me. Roma gave those X-Men who sacrificed themselves to defeat Adversary invisible to recording devices. What happened to that gift?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
That is a good point. It's funny getting to remember all this mystic stuff from Fall of the Mutants and Excalibur and how much like space opera, mysticism has been tied to the X-Men for a very long time. Starting with Island M and Belasco.

That does remind me. Roma gave those X-Men who sacrificed themselves to defeat Adversary invisible to recording devices. What happened to that gift?
I think they lost that after they left Australia.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Summoner meets a most brutal end.

I think it will happen. Remember Rockslide saw Summoner's weakness-his eyes. Someone will probably stab him through the eyes with one of the titular swords.

Poor Rockslide. It sucks that he had to go through this to show what's wrong with the protocols now.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I think they lost that after they left Australia.

If I remember correctly from so many years ago, the explanation was they lost that ability when they went through the Siege Perilous.

I've heard fan theories that the Siege Perilous removed the blessing. But even if that was what did it, not every X-Man walked through. Wolverine didn't do that, instead tortured by the Reavers.

Xtinction Agenda and Decimation mentioned the computer virus that would erase any X-Men related information from Government databases. Even that it adds Yet Roma's Blessing is always forgotten.

Hell, Mojo even called out that Betsy Braddock had lost her cybernetic eyes that transmitted her adventures to him, after she was brought back from the dead after being killed by Vargas (BTW despite being the dark years, what ever happen ed to him?)

Back on topic I'm not sure that Roma's blessing has ever been explained away. There are tons of fan theories about it but I don't think there's ever been an official confirmation.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Vargas is a lore deep cut I expect to be looked into during this run since he claimed he was the next step in evolution.

He was apparently killed by Sinister for having knowledge of the Destiny Diaries, which I'm also sure will come into play during this X-Men status quo.

The real question is, where the hell are Lifeguard and Slipstream.