• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
HELLIONS BREHS

"When I come to punish you, I want to know how many orphans it will make."

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't read Hellions yet, but that lore in X-Men was amazing. Hickman casually dropping some far reaching continuity expansions here. Second Generation.

And of course, Apocalypse's wife is called Genesis.

Also, I'd never have thought 2020 would see the return of the Externals as a serious concept that could work.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Haven't read Hellions yet, but that lore in X-Men was amazing. Hickman casually dropping some far reaching continuity expansions here. Second Generation.

And of course, Apocalypse's wife is called Genesis.

Also, I'd never have thought 2020 would see the return of the Externals as a serious concept that could work.

Second Generation since Marvel has the rights to the Conan Setting again so Selene is now once again older than Apocalypse.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
Loved Excalibur this week. Love the Externals. Do think it's interesting they are saying that those sacrifice can't even be brought back with the resurrection protocols.

That does imply that there is more than cloning going on when it comes to said protocols.

This might be one of the few times that we can handwave it away and simply say "cuz its magic" based on Apocalypse using sorcery?

Mutant reality warping vs. magical reality warping might cancel each other out?

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No idea what the fuck happened in Xmen and Excalibur this week. Hellions is messy fun, I think Jean pulled her weight to get Madeline of the board.

So, is that an Ex Nihilo in that prayer circle or nah?

Because I'm saying that's an Ex Nihilo.
Yeah, it's a Hickmann thing, so it's an Ex Nihilo.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
If I wanted to start reading this could I just read new mutants and X-men or would I need to get some of the other series

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
This might be one of the few times that we can handwave it away and simply say "cuz its magic" based on Apocalypse using sorcery?

Mutant reality warping vs. magical reality warping might cancel each other out?
I Wouldn't consider it reality warping. Just magic dispersing the essence in such a way that Xavier's psychic vacuum Cerebro can't capture and store it. So they could all technically be brought back, but they'd be clones rather than originals, or they'd have to use magic or actual reality warping to come back whole.

It'll probably be pure magic later on, I doubt they'll stay dead.

No idea what the fuck happened in Xmen and Excalibur this week. Hellions is messy fun, I think Jean pulled her weight to get Madeline of the board.

Yeah, it's a Hickmann thing, so it's an Ex Nihilo.
Then these fuckers better go into Bleedspace the Superflow at some point! I want to see some more multiversal shit with Builders, Dominions, Celestials, and whatnot.

Abyss and Ex Nihilo should just show up soon to see how the mutants have handled their handiwork on Mars, though.

Oct 25, 2017
I come bearing news from other Marvel stuff.

So a Spider-Man thing was released this week that involves a returning Sin-Eater who now has the ability to cleanse people of their sins and turn villains good. It's strongly implied that there's more to this. Anyway he broke into Ravencroft this week and it looks like Juggernaut was there and he was released and I'm pretty sure cleansed by Sin-Eater (Sin-Eater shot at him, but it cut from the scene so it isn't clear)

So yeah, that looks like it's the lead in to the Juggernaut mini

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I come bearing news from other Marvel stuff.

So a Spider-Man thing was released this week that involves a returning Sin-Eater who now has the ability to cleanse people of their sins and turn villains good. It's strongly implied that there's more to this. Anyway he broke into Ravencroft this week and it looks like Juggernaut was there and he was released and I'm pretty sure cleansed by Sin-Eater (Sin-Eater shot at him, but it cut from the scene so it isn't clear)

So yeah, that looks like it's the lead in to the Juggernaut mini
Juggernaut shouldn't need to be cleansed anyway considering he's been less villainous for years now, even in his past few appearances before now (which is how I thought his mini would follow up on), plus his magic invulnerability should protect him anyway.

Regardless, I'm in for more Cain Marko. At this point, dude should be living on Krakoa.

Oct 25, 2017
Juggernaut shouldn't need to be cleansed anyway considering he's been less villainous for years now, even in his past few appearances before now (which is how I thought his mini would follow up on), plus his magic invulnerability should protect him anyway.

Regardless, I'm in for more Cain Marko. At this point, dude should be living on Krakoa.

He came out on some "I'M GONNA KILL YOU" shit so maybe Ravencroft made him cranky

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
He came out on some "I'M GONNA KILL YOU" shit so maybe Ravencroft made him cranky
You'd be cranky too if you got locked up randomly again, especially in a asylum instead of a regular prison. They could've at least put him in Rykers.

I'll say it again:

Give Cain an X-Gene that his Cytorrak powers mask.

Give him a power that is super mundane, has nothing to do with his Juggernaut powers, and no one would realize he even had when he wasn't powered.
Nah, keep him X-Gene free. His connection to Chuck is enough; he should get a pass like Corsair gets a pass.

Unless his power is literally the fact that he's eight feet tall and nothing else.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
But Charles doesn't like Cain. His connection to Tom would be a better argument.

And I meant more along the lines of my go to example: Perfect Accent Mimicry
The last time the two saw each other was before Charles was killed by Cyclops, and they were on amicable terms. Saying that they don't like each other is kind of a stretch these days, especially with Juggernaut joining up with Not-Magneto to save mutants before he discovered it was actually Joseph and then teamed up with Cyclops.

Perfect accent mimicry is too useful. His power, if he's going to have one, should literally the fact that he's tall as shit and muscular without all of the negative impacts such a thing normally has on real world tall as shit people.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
The last time the two saw each other was before Charles was killed by Cyclops, and they were on amicable terms. Saying that they don't like each other is kind of a stretch these days, especially with Juggernaut joining up with Not-Magneto to save mutants before he discovered it was actually Joseph and then teamed up with Cyclops.

Perfect accent mimicry is too useful. His power, if he's going to have one, should literally the fact that he's tall as shit and muscular without all of the negative impacts such a thing normally has on real world tall as shit people.
Just because I don't hate someone anymore doesn't mean I like them.

And perfect accent mimcry seems pretty edge case useful to me since it's not perfect voice mimicry. It just a parlor trick anyone who works at it can do, except he doesn't have to work at it. And every now and then they have a need for the guy whose main power is running into atuff really hard and who stands out in literally every crowd to sound convincingly Australian.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

Are you talking about X-Men Legacy? Because I'm not sure I'd call their interactions there amicable.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I dont blame Juggernaught for being a bit cranky.
Anyone who spends to long in close proximity to Norman Osborn tends to get a bit agitated.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
If I wanted to start reading this could I just read new mutants and X-men or would I need to get some of the other series
I started with House of X/Powers of X which sets up the new status quo, after that it seems like the titles all work on their own but I'm not deep into it yet so I'm not sure if tnat changes.

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
I'll say it again:

Give Cain an X-Gene that his Cytorrak powers mask.

Give him a power that is super mundane, has nothing to do with his Juggernaut powers, and no one would realize he even had when he wasn't powered.

He lost his juggernaut powers but turned into a wizard for like two issues in the silver age. they could just say that was related to him to an ex gene.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Are you talking about X-Men Legacy? Because I'm not sure I'd call their interactions there amicable.
His first instinct after finding out Charles was dead was to go after and murder Cyclops. They can't be that antagonistic toward each other if he was aiming to do that.

Just because I don't hate someone anymore doesn't mean I like them.

And perfect accent mimcry seems pretty edge case useful to me since it's not perfect voice mimicry. It just a parlor trick anyone who works at it can do, except he doesn't have to work at it. And every now and then they have a need for the guy whose main power is running into atuff really hard and who stands out in literally every crowd to sound convincingly Australian.
That's fair, I'll take it.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Thanks for the clarification, I only read it in the context of the issue, and that missing tribe, and honestly thought Apocalypse was older than Selene.

Marvel lost the rights to Conan they basically stopped using Selene for a while since her origin is tied to the Hyborian Age.

In the mean time they made Apocalypse, introduced that he was the first mutant, and tied him to ancient Egypt. Selene was then tied more to ancient Rome, which she already had ties to anyways and they just stopped mentioning how damn old she was.

Then the rights to Conan were required and well... Here we are. Because Hickman loves a good continuity deep dive.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel lost the rights to Conan they basically stopped using Selene for a while since her origin is tied to the Hyborian Age.

In the mean time they made Apocalypse, introduced that he was the first mutant, and tied him to ancient Egypt. Selene was then tied more to ancient Rome, which she already had ties to anyways and they just stopped mentioning how damn old she was.

Then the rights to Conan were required and well... Here we are. Because Hickman loves a good continuity deep dive.
Yeah, I read up on that after your post. Marvel hammered Apocalypse as the first mutant for so long that this never crossed my mind.

Still, circling back to this week's issue, it's pretty mind blowing that there was an entire mutant civilization living on an island millennia ago. Before they moved to Dark Souls world and shit happened.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Unrelated with Kulan Gath being around again I'd love to see him show up in Excalibur, especially since he hates Selene.

This week was a good week. The only book that didn't wow me was Giant Sized Storm and that's because Emma is right, if the virus kills Storm she's just getting resurrected.

And the World stuff is my least favorite part of Fantomex lore, so between the two I just was kinda there and not as invested as I should have been.

The art was fabulous though.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
So, because I'm bored, I'm on the Marvel wiki looking up the chronology of mutants. Random clicks took me to the article on the Dark Sisterhood -- a bunch of psychic mutant woman in a witches coven hell bent on taking over the world -- and the last sentence in the article spoke to me.

The Dark Sisterhood later regrouped but they lost the Dark Mother who was assassinated by the Marauders on orders of Mr. Sinister who was eliminating those with precognitive abilities.

I think this could come up again, especially with Rachel, Cable, and Jean on Krakoa. The Dark Mother was alluded to be an ancestor to Jean, and a thousands of psychic mutants is too good of fodder to pass up.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
I actually really like that the Space Knights are being used and that they're huge assholes.

Also, judging from Cable's letter to DP, the old man has a backup plan in case of assassination by a version of himself. I wonder what the mutants will do if another Cable shows up, due to the rule against not allowing duplicates to exist.

That would definitely be a technicality.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
The conclusion to its first arc confirms further that Hellions is the breakout star of Dawn of X. This book has made me love characters like Greycrow and Nanny more than I ever thought I would.

Honestly, I think a lot of my excitement for X of Swords may come from seeing what kind of shenanigans this team gets up to there, as I think an interview said their issues are the funniest.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of duplicates, I fully expect someone to roll through with some cloned X-Men. Joseph is gonna roll with some of those X-23 clones, a rezzed Maddie, Stryfe, X-Man, Namorita, Evan, and some others I can't remember. They will be the mutant villains.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, what an amazing week for X-comics.

I read Captain America this week too and Selene has been in Captain America for a while now, how does that factor into the current X-Men comics?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

I read Captain America this week too and Selene has been in Captain America for a while now, how does that factor into the current X-Men comics?
My guess is that it takes place before the current External stuff considering how not worn she is over there.

After all, Shuri did say she was turning her in to Krakoa, and with Apocalypse on the Council, he could've easily let her loose because she fit into his plan.

Doesn't make sense for it to be after and after X Of Swords considering everything Cap related technically takes place before Empyre.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

The story started before Dawn of X and got delayed a bit. The plan was probably to finish it up before the Dawn of X stuff was done and have her be part of the general amnesty.

But hey at least she killed Hydra Cap so the story was with it.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Wait hold up she killed Hydra Cap? Which issue was this?
Captain America #8. It is so satisfying because They have him get freed from prison. Make it seem like he's going to be the big bad of the arc. That it's gonna build to Cap v Hydra Cap and then. Selene fights and kills him in 3 pages 😍

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
So basically X of Swords is going to be Apocalypse going all
"well guess what folks, I tried the whole mutants on Krakoa thing a few milennias ago and you're not going to believe it but shit didn't work out and hmmm they've all been stranded in a mystical dimension in the rift between Krakoa and Arrako all that time, fighting against a demonic army, crazy right?... could we spare a few fighters to help them out? I swear I'm not fucking with you guys. Guys?"

I can dig it.

Last edited:

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So basically X of Swords is going to be Apocalypse going all
"well guess what folks, I tried the whole mutants on Krakoa thing a few milennias ago and you're not going to believe it but shit didn't work out and hmmm they've all been stranded in a mystical dimension in the rift between Krakoa and Arrako all that time, fighting against a demonic army, crazy right?... could we spare a few fighters to help them out? I swear I'm not fucking with you guys. Guys?"

I can dig it.
Exactly.
With the added effect of potentially importing a god of destruction from another dimension because why the fuck not

Also
"Look, I might have sacrificed 4 immortal mutants to power a gate to Saturnyne's realm, but who's counting? Nobody liked them."

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
As someone who has been a lifelong Apocalypse fan (thanks to the 90's cartoon), Dawn of X has been a feast.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Exactly.
With the added effect of potentially importing a god of destruction from another dimension because why the fuck not

Also
"Look, I might have sacrificed 4 immortal mutants to power a gate to Saturnyne's realm, but who's counting? Nobody liked them."
Did anyone actually like Gideon, I mean among fans? I hated the character in a just die already way since his 2nd appearance.