• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
So based on the Empyre Avengers Aftermath book it looks like Al Ewing might be writing an X-men book with the known members being Abigail Brand and Manifold. I marked it because it's not an X-Men book.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Beast is being so cruel and so horrible at this point that I have to wonder if he is some sort of doppelganger or fake.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
What's worse is I don't get WHY they have to do that. They already are doing there Fortnite tie in books. There is no reason to have to have the actual 616 characters being pulled into them.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but isn't that what the Tie-in issues are for? The X-Force one didn't even mention Fortnite.
I'm gonna guess that they genuinely wrote this for fun as an innocent nod to the Fortnite collab. That makes sense in a vacuum where you see Fortnite as this massive cultural phenomenon and can't imagine that your books will release at a time when you hear about Fortnite because of dumb executive postures and business drama.

To put it more succinctly, a dude like Cates was excited about this as a great signal booster for current comics. Sweeney happened to go all 1984 at the same time.

Beast is being so cruel and so horrible at this point that I have to wonder if he is some sort of doppelganger or fake.
Since Cerebro has been recording every mutant on Earth all along, I keep wondering if Hank experimented on himself using an engram of Dark Beast. Like injecting parts of Dark Beast's personality into himself, such as cunning or ruthlessness, in order to have an "edge".

It seems like just the kind of dumb thing Hank would do.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I recall Black Swan telling Beast that "Hank McCoy is a name known in the game of worlds", but she never said what he was known for.
Beast has become a literal beast at this point.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IMG-20200910-082519.jpg

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Since Cerebro has been recording every mutant on Earth all along, I keep wondering if Hank experimented on himself using an engram of Dark Beast. Like injecting parts of Dark Beast's personality into himself, such as cunning or ruthlessness, in order to have an "edge".

It seems like just the kind of dumb thing Hank would do.
I wish the writers would be better to Beast and stop making him the slowest-but-surest-hell-turn I've ever seen.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I think after X of Swords I'm going to trim my X-books list down to just X-Men, Marauders, Cable, New Mutants, and probably Hellions. Feel like I've been reading X-Force and Wolverine out of a sense of obligation than genuine interest, and X-Factor is just irritating to read.

Oct 25, 2017
The first issue of X-Force was incredibly cringy, but I think it's been getting better every issue. Daken is pointless in the comic, but I feel like Leah has a huge crush on him so he'll never leave.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The first issue of X-Force was incredibly cringy, but I think it's been getting better every issue. Daken is pointless in the comic, but I feel like Leah has a huge crush on him so he'll never leave.

Oh I just looked up the writer and I see she wrote that cringey Gwenpool sequel series. This makes sense. I'm not a fan of either book. They have a similar tone.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I like X-Factor a lot more than I thought I would, but I don't blame anyone for peacing out.

That said, I think the humor in the Cable series works surprisingly well.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I have a random question for everyone. I've jumped around a bunch in the marvel universe thru the unlimited app and I want to read secret wars so I'm going back and reading from Hickmans avengers and new avengers.

My question is why does Dr Doom have others speak for him? Is he like Thanos and just has a surrogate like corvus talk sometimes (even though Thanos does talk a bunch in infinity)? Does he think others are underneath him and doesn't want to sully himself?

I haven't read very much Fantastic 4. Sometimes doombots speak but maybe it will change when I get to secret wars.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I have a random question for everyone. I've jumped around a bunch in the marvel universe thru the unlimited app and I want to read secret wars so I'm going back and reading from Hickmans avengers and new avengers.

My question is why does Dr Doom have others speak for him? Is he like Thanos and just has a surrogate like corvus talk sometimes (even though Thanos does talk a bunch in infinity)? Does he think others are underneath him and doesn't want to sully himself?

I haven't read very much Fantastic 4. Sometimes doombots speak but maybe it will change when I get to secret wars.

It's mostly power plays. The whole "your beneath my notice" thing.

Other times is because he is deep in thought and doesn't want to be disturbed.

Also in the comics, Thanos speaks for himself usually. He didn't really have minions until recently.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
It's mostly power plays. The whole "your beneath my notice" thing.

Other times is because he is deep in thought and doesn't want to be disturbed.

Also in the comics, Thanos speaks for himself usually. He didn't really have minions until recently.
Yeah I think during infinity wars Thanos mostly spoke for himself. After the last movies I read infinity and he had some minions.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
That would explain why his character boils down to entirely "I"M A BIG FLIRT WITH EVERYONE" lol

I like X-Factor a lot more than I thought I would, but I don't blame anyone for peacing out.

That said, I think the humor in the Cable series works surprisingly well.
Gerry Duggan is really the highlight of the X-books for me. His dialogue on Marauders and Cable is so on point; it feels genuine and organic in a way that can so easily otherwise sound forced or cringe (which is how I feel about X-Factor).

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beast has been an asshole for a while now, if anything it's consistent and it will lead to another scene of everyone dunking on him, those are always great.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
So based on the Empyre Avengers Aftermath book it looks like Al Ewing might be writing an X-men book with the known members being Abigail Brand and Manifold. I marked it because it's not an X-Men book.

For that book maybe it's related to X of Swords, since, well, Brand used to be the head of SWORD?

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I think that the X-Men will get their own SHIELD/SWORD/ARMOR since everyone at the end is a mutant and by and large, at least the X-Men actually share information.

If Wakanda can, why not Krakoa?

They already have everything a group like that would do. X-Force collects intel and runs black ops and they have a military structure and give training to everyone on the island. "SHIELD for mutants" would only be a redundancy.

Really, the population of the island and the fact telepaths are all over the place means Krakoa doesn't need a ton of agencies like a major western country does (or rather, claims to.)

Oct 26, 2017
They already have everything a group like that would do. X-Force collects intel and runs black ops and they have a military structure and give training to everyone on the island. "SHIELD for mutants" would only be a redundancy.

Really, the population of the island and the fact telepaths are all over the place means Krakoa doesn't need a ton of agencies like a major western country does (or rather, claims to.)

SWORD is exclusively space though, which Krakoa is concerned about but doesn't really have a structure in place to deal with. They've already had three space-based incursions, a mutant SWORD seems likely.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
X-Factor manages to be much better than a book with Daken and Mojoworld should be. Which doesn't say anything LOL

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying X-Factor, but I can see that it's very much a love-it-or-hate-it affair. If the style doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you.

I do echo Blader's sentiments, though - there are definitely series which I'm reading more out of obligation than interest.
For me, it's New Mutants (which seems to be ending/going on hiatus at #13 anyway), Wolverine and Excalibur. Everything else has at least something to keep me going, but those three are definitely "reading so I don't miss any major plot points" series now.

Oct 25, 2017
Excalibur is the only one I'm really not loving. Wolverine is fine, but I don't love it. Everything else I'm really enjoying. X-Factor is aggressively gay and I really appreciate that.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Starting in December, Immortal Wolverine!
First thing that crossed my mind actually. Immortal is already the pitch of half of the X-books now, though.
Or Ewing has been doing more cosmic stuff, and we're getting a cosmic X-book. I'd read that.

I thought this was canceled?

I thought it was just in limbo, like the Moira book, not straight up cancelled. It's not the most exciting sales pitch, but I'm staying open minded, given how good the line has been overall.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished reading X-Force. I've only been reading X-comics since HoX/PoX, then went back and read some arcs from the last 20 years, but for the life of me I still don't understand what's going on with Beast. What the fuck is going on with him? When did this start? I always thought he's the genius good guy who would inadvertently cause people around him harm, in a FF Reed kind of way. But the he's acting is more akin to alternate reality Reeds. What's even more jarring is how no one is questioning or standing up to him. At all. I guess until Wolverine's punch.

When writers don't bother explaining a character's morality or evolution of morality, they stop being fun to read. The notes they added aren't enough. I still don't understand his leaps.