• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Nothing Sinister can't fix.

Hopefully it is something that Sinister can fix. Since her depowering was by the great Pretender Wanda.

Beast actually sought him out, to try to find the solution to M-Day and Sinister has nothing.

It is mentioned in the h o x / p o x story that they have not found a solution to the depowered mutants yet

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it is something that Sinister can fix. Since her depowering was by the great Pretender Wanda.

Beast actually sought him out, to try to find the solution to M-Day and Sinister has nothing.

It is mentioned in the h o x / p o x story that they have not found a solution to the depowered mutants yet
I mean, they could just kill them and grow them new bodies to implant them again.

If They can revive a fashion designer, I'm sure Sinister has DNA samples to grow clone bodies for those who were depowered.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Giant-Size X-Men: Fantomex from Hickman and Reis in May!

uSAf6ap.jpg
I've just finished reading HoxPoX (was awesome). After what issue of which comic would this come?

Oct 25, 2017
Leah Williams' said her X-Factor book will be dealing with the depowered mutants and she has Prodigy on her main roster. It would be a pretty interesting story to see if any mutant would want to off themselves in order to come back powered or heal from injuries like Karma, Forge and Hellion.

Also on that point, I know Jubilee got her powers back some other way, but how the hell did Beak and Angel get their powers back since they were both human members of New Warriors along with Jubilee, Wind Dancer, Tattoo etc.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I mean, they could just kill them and grow them new bodies to implant them again.

If They can revive a fashion designer, I'm sure Sinister has DNA samples to grow clone bodies for those who were depowered.

Jumbo wasn't depowered. Necrosha established that even dead mutants had the X-Gene removed by the Scarlet Witch.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Leah Williams' said her X-Factor book will be dealing with the depowered mutants and she has Prodigy on her main roster. It would be a pretty interesting story to see if any mutant would want to off themselves in order to come back powered or heal from injuries like Karma, Forge and Hellion.

Also on that point, I know Jubilee got her powers back some other way, but how the hell did Beak and Angel get their powers back since they were both human members of New Warriors along with Jubilee, Wind Dancer, Tattoo etc.

I'm not 100% sure, but didn't they get hit with some gas that activated mutant genes in X-Men Blue? Dunno I didn't read X-Men Blue at all.

Oct 26, 2017
Reed isn't someone to "take lightly" but it's clear that the united X-men are far past where he is. Any FF vs X conflict only ends one way.
Does it?

They're powerful and intelligent in theory but as they're written Xavier and the council are idiots. They blunder their way through things and their motivations are transparent. This encounter was an example of it with them being obvious they want Franklin for his powers and only (potentially) getting what they want because of Reed's blunderous approach to parenting.

With regards to the feats you've outlined: A group of retired fanatical botanists cracked the Krakoan gates so please don't give me a speech on how Reed could never figure out Krakoan technology. And the X-Men were required by power of plot to magically have drugs to enable their enterprise to work. When given the same privilege in "Fantastic Four: The End" Reed Richards extended human life by centuries and solved many of the Earth's problems (all after the mutant war of course). However he didn't have his children and in the end he puts aside logic and science in favour of (SPOILERS) his children who Sue Storm returns through her own plan.

Family is the central aspect of the F4 (again, Sue Storm was - or would have been if she knew - the calming influence on Reed's controlling mad scientist ways) and Xavier tried to manipulate an underage teenager because he wanted him for his powers. Now both of his children have run away. Please refer back to the comic where Sue is afraid of what she'd be willing to do for them. The combined effort of both of them is a fearful thing.

And as far as I understand humans weren't wiped out. They evolved to a point past the biological limitations to which mutants are capable. The AI technology simply gave them time to achieve it. Ultimately what they, or what that one sketchy looking guy, wanted to achieve was a type of technological transcendence. But that whole thing is still up in the air currently and I'll suspect we'll see the return of "The Dominion" given that it transcends time.

In short I don't think the X-Men are far beyond the F4. They're only capable of what they are because of Krakoa which they still don't fully understand, and co-opted alien tech to enable the backup aspect of resurrection (which - again - few understand). They couldn't even stop people parachuting in for crying out loud. Most of the things they'd doing now are reactive and come after others exposed their weaknesses.

---

Also, the mutants are in a precarious situation and their central way of life hinges on a few things with their significant one being resurrection. The backup copies wouldn't even need to be found, just kill the individuals required to enable it to happen. That's it. At that point you're just left with another Genosha (as The Thing pointed out).

Last edited:

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Does it?

They're powerful and intelligent in theory but as they're written Xavier and the council are idiots.

counterpoint:
clean.jpg

X-Men-4-5.jpg

complete idiots, surely.

They blunder their way through things and their motivations are transparent. This encounter was an example of it with them being obvious they want Franklin for his powers and only (potentially) getting what they want because of Reed's blunderous approach to parenting.

They want Franklin because they're aware of what's coming, and Franklin is one of the few mutants powerful enough to shift that tide. In every other scenario NOT involving a united mutantkind, Franklin dies with the rest of the Earth's mutants when AI rises in a couple of years. So again, Reed is wrong, X is right.

With regards to the feats you've outlined: A group of retired fanatical botanists cracked the Krakoan gates so please don't give me a speech on how Reed could never figure out Krakoan technology.

That group of botanists was years away from completely controlling the world's food supply and deciding who lives and who starves to death, eliminating 7 bilion people. The Xmen's work with Krakoa disrupted that. Yes, Hordeculture determined how to hack the gates, but the only reason they aren't all dead is because the Xmen didn't want to murder a bunch of little old ladies outright and tried to talk sense into them instead.

Reed on the other hand is a polymath, but frequently admits that there are other people on the planet who specialize in one field who are better than he is. Reed isn't the best geneticist on the planet, that would be either Sinister or Wyndham. Reed has ALSO admitted that Banner and Octavius are better in the field of radiation than he is. Likewise, Reed isn't a botanist, and has no significant achievements in those fields. Hordeculture is a group of genius botanists with 200 years in the field. He's outclassed there, and assuming he can simply hack the gates in minutes when they're tech he doesn't specialize in is ridiculous.

And the X-Men were required by power of plot to magically have drugs to enable their enterprise to work.

Ah, so plot is great when it serves your argument, not great when it doesn't. I'll keep that in mind.

When given the same privilege in "Fantastic Four: The End" Reed Richards extended human life by centuries and solved many of the Earth's problems (all after the mutant war of course). However he didn't have his children and in the end he puts aside logic and science in favour of (SPOILERS) his children who Sue Storm returns through her own plan.

which is non canon, just like every other "The End" book marvel prints.

Family is the central aspect of the F4 (again, Sue Storm was - or would have been if she knew - the calming influence on Reed's controlling mad scientist ways) and Xavier tried to manipulate an underage teenager because he wanted him for his powers. Now both of his children have run away. Please refer back to the comic where Sue is afraid of what she'd be willing to do for them. The combined effort of both of them is a fearful thing.

Franklin isn't an "underage teenager" and many of the Xmen were his age or younger when they freely made the decision to join the team. Reed and Sue treating him like a child and not enabling him to make that decision for himself is the problem, not X and Magneto. Without Reed's interference, Franklin RAN straight for the krakoan gate and would have made it through. So who's approach was right? Xavier's. He got what he wanted either way. Either Franklin would have joined of his own free will and ended up on Krakoa, or Reed abuses the trust of his own child by manipulating his body against his knowledge, and Franklin and Valeria end up on Krakoa ANYWAY.

Reed got outplayed.

And as far as I understand humans weren't wiped out. They evolved to a point past the biological limitations to which mutants are capable. The AI technology simply gave them time to achieve it. Ultimately what they, or what that one sketchy looking guy, wanted to achieve was a type of technological transcendence. But that whole thing is still up in the air currently and I'll suspect we'll see the return of "The Dominion" given that it transcends time.

your understanding is wrong. Humankind no longer exists, it's replaced by whatever machinekind evolves into, and anything that is NOT pure AI is wiped out when the Phalanx arrives. Humanity dies.

In short I don't think the X-Men are far beyond the F4. They're only capable of what they are because of Krakoa which they still don't fully understand, and co-opted alien tech to enable the backup aspect of resurrection (which - again - few understand). They couldn't even stop people parachuting in for crying out loud. Most of the things they'd doing now are reactive and come after others exposed their weaknesses.

See the above re: your understanding is wrong. The X-men perfectly understand what Krakoa is and the tech behind it. It's everyone ELSE that struggles to understand it. The Xmen completely understand the resurrection process as well and have backup plans in place to prevent it from being compromised, so I don't know what you're on about there.

As for "people parachuting in" There are MANY ways to stop that, but Xavier and crew literally didn't predict the possibility that their adversaries would vivisect a known Xman, and graft her flesh onto themselves to mimic a friendly operative. The error was detected the first time, but dismissed. The island's defenses can anticipate that now.

Also, the mutants are in a precarious situation and their central way of life hinges on a few things with their significant one being resurrection. The backup copies wouldn't even need to be found, just kill the individuals required to enable it to happen. That's it. At that point you're just left with another Genosha (as The Thing pointed out).

you should read more closely, as Hickman has already addressed this possibility. Of the five, Elixir is inherently immortal and cannot be killed. It's been tried, he will self resurrect even without the process. Proteus is nearly in the same boat, he's just using a cloned body of Xavier and can occupy ANY body at any time. Kill that one, he just occupies another. Of the rest, there are other mutants (such as synch) that could be slotted in to replace any of the remainder as a backup should they be eliminated, and Omega Mutants such as Jaime Braddock (and Elixir, again) can straight up resurrect the dead regardless. And good luck doing *anything* to that one mutant with complete control over time.

Xavier himself was shot and killed, but Jean easily popped in to replace him when that happened. It's just a matter of training, not power. You can't "just kill" the five and compromise the resurrection process (which of course no one but the Xmen are aware of!), because that has been planned for.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry but I disagree with you entirely. I'm not impressed with their sit down dinner with a bunch of politicians. In that moment Xavier is reactive. He's doing that AFTER he was killed and subsequently brought back. And this is a high level telepath we're talking about here. If he failed to anticipate the intentions of people then HE is the one being outplayed, and those people weren't even high level intellects.

And that's not even accounting for what's going on up in space (which we've yet to see, and I suspect they're the real opposition to Krakoa and not this shadowy group). How quick they were to laud themselves as heroes for stopping it but yet failed to outright destroy that entire operation. Again... idiots.

Hell, Xavier has no clue (that we've seen) with what's going on with Shaw and the others. If he can't keep his own house in order then he has issues.

I'm just not a fan of the X-Men here and see Xavier leaning far more toward out and out villainy. I'd rather have Cyclops lead them all than a broken Xavier. I don't doubt for a single second that having Xavier resemble "The Maker" is coincide.

By the end of this I don't expect him to be leading anything. How it is now is the prelude to a new status quo (IMHO).

And again with regards to the "five". Even if you can't kill them their entire operation relies on them cooperating. It is a crucial weakness. Krakoa has many weak points that can be exploited and plenty of people who'll do it.

Last edited:

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I'm sorry but I disagree with you entirely. I'm not impressed with their sit down dinner with a bunch of politicians. In that moment Xavier is reactive. He's doing that AFTER he was killed and subsequently brought back. And this is a high level telepath we're talking about here. If he failed to anticipate the intentions of people then HE is the one being outplayed, and those people weren't even high level intellects.

And that's not even accounting for what's going on up in space (which we've yet to see, and I suspect they're the real opposition to Krakoa and not this shadowy group). How quick they were to laud themselves as heroes for stopping it but yet failed to outright destroy that entire operation. Again... idiots.

Hell, Xavier has no clue (that we've seen) with what's going on with Shaw and the others. If he can't keep his own house in order then he has issues.

I'm just not a fan of the X-Men here and see Xavier leaning far more toward out and out villainy. I'd rather have Cyclops lead them all than a broken Xavier. I don't doubt for a single second that having Xavier resemble "The Maker" is coincide.

By the end of this I don't expect him to be leading anything. How it is now is the prelude to a new status quo (IMHO).

And again with regards to the "five". Even if you can't kill them their entire operation relies on them cooperating. It is a crucial weakness. Krakoa has many weak points that can be exploited and plenty of people who'll do it.

Then we simply agree to disagree. No point dismantling your points further.

Oct 26, 2017
Then we simply agree to disagree. No point dismantling your points further.
What an arrogant statement. There are things you've said that i haven't even bothered to refute because I don't want to engage in that kind of pointless discussion. Certainly not with someone who is clearly never going to bother entertaining alternative opinions.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
They want Franklin because they're aware of what's coming, and Franklin is one of the few mutants powerful enough to shift that tide. In every other scenario NOT involving a united mutantkind, Franklin dies with the rest of the Earth's mutants when AI rises in a couple of years. So again, Reed is wrong, X is right.

He was never shown to be killed though? In previous versions of the future written by Hickman himself Franklin is shown to be around long after Earth is taken over by machines.

your understanding is wrong. Humankind no longer exists, it's replaced by whatever machinekind evolves into, and anything that is NOT pure AI is wiped out when the Phalanx arrives. Humanity dies.
No, you're the one that misunderstood things there. The evolved people in the final future shown in PoX/HoX were homo novissima, homo sapiens evolved through artificial controlled means, not evolved machines (which were reduced to their servants again). They all do get eliminated by the Phalanx though, which just reduces them to info stored in them rather than allowing them to really transcend into anything like they hoped.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Here's a breakdown of Powers of X #6: https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Powers_of_X_Vol_1_6

He muses over the inevitability of mutantkind's situation; that they were doomed to go extinct as he, a genetically engineered post-human, represents Homo sapiens mastering both technology and biology, rendering natural evolution obsolete. Before he can finish his musings, he is killed by Logan.

Now armed with the knowledge that humankind will merely use the machines to buy themselves time to become something greater, a true threat to mutants, Moira asks Logan to kill her. He does so, ending her sixth life.

Humans aren't enslaved and wiped out. The ones we see are the humans of the future, just genetically engineered successors that blur the line between biology and technology.

To the Librarian mutants are the pinnacle of biological evolution but with technology humans could go beyond that.

I could of course read that issue again but I'm pretty certain my original interpretation of it was correct.

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
That helmet Professor X wears now couldn't possibly make him look more like a supervillain.
Not to mention it seems like he rarely if ever takes it off.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
He was never shown to be killed though? In previous versions of the future written by Hickman himself Franklin is shown to be around long after Earth is taken over by machines.

Previous versions of the future are no longer valid. As far as X book continuity is concerned it ends only one way. And mutants are rendered extinct in those timelines, Franklin included.

Other potential futures may show up elsewhere (2099 appears to be the future in the spider books, but doesnt end much better) but books ignore continuity that conflicts with what's outside of their narrative where the future is concerned.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

No, you're the one that misunderstood things there. The evolved people in the final future shown in PoX/HoX were homo novissima, homo sapiens evolved through artificial controlled means, not evolved machines (which were reduced to their servants again). They all do get eliminated by the Phalanx though, which just reduces them to info stored in them rather than allowing them to really transcend into anything like they hoped.

Homo Novissma isn't Homo Sapiens any more than Homo Superior or Homo Mermanus is. They're an artificially created offshoot of humanity created by scientific manipulation.

Homo Sapiens as we understand humanity to be in the Human/Mutant conflict were enslaved then replaced. Homo Novissma themselves were eliminated when the Phalanx came to assilimate the earth. Anything not "pure AI" is dead.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Previous versions of the future are no longer valid. As far as X book continuity is concerned it ends only one way. And mutants are rendered extinct in those timelines, Franklin included.

Franklin was never shown to be killed in any of those futures though. Considering how Franklin surviving until the end of the universe is a fairly constant presence in various futures, even ones written by Hickman himself, I'm pretty sure if he was intended to have been killed it'd be have been directly mentioned or shown (like what happened recently in Immortal Hulk).

Oct 26, 2017
Homo Novissma isn't Homo Sapiens any more than Homo Superior or Homo Mermanus is. They're an artificially created offshoot of humanity created by scientific manipulation.

Homo Sapiens as we understand humanity to be in the Human/Mutant conflict were enslaved then replaced. Homo Novissma themselves were eliminated when the Phalanx came to assilimate the earth. Anything not "pure AI" is dead.
They are what humans made themselves into. That's the point. Biological evolution was too slow so baseline humans engineered themselves into what they would become. At no point did I make the distinction between human and the different subsets like Homo Novissma and Homo Sapiens. It matters not if baseline humans are gone, only that humanity in whatever form persists.

Regardless Mutants aren't trying to shut down AI and human genetic experimentation to preserve the purity of what it means to be human. They're trying to preserve themselves and their own superiority. They've done this by also manipulating their own lives through technology and biological manipulation (resurrection, and the implication that doing so subtly improves their own physical being each time).

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
So I got a theory about Xavier's timeline:

I think Franklin is the reason why he is rushing and not some secret plan. Him loosing his power is what is causing him to rush. Unless in danger it would seem they have let other mutants decide for themselves.

I think they are rushing cause Franklin's powers are crucial not just for resurrection but a final defense. Franklin's primary power is creating dimensions. I think they want him before he looses his powers so that in case of a genosha level attack he would be able to take the mutants to a new world forever.

Oct 25, 2017
Reed was an absolute asshole for what he did to his son. I like the concept of the X/F4 book, but I hate when stuff is so quickly turned into a fight. Xavier and Magneto are idiots for going in with so many team members like that, Reed and Sue are idiots for assuming the X-Men are here to steal her son. Doesn't make sense that they wouldn't just send Kitty and Storm who are the 2 closest to F4, but of course Xavier and Magneto are so self-centred they can't even delegate this task to 2 council members. Just have Storm and Kitty show up for lunch and have a chill conversation with their young adult son. Literally the exact same way half the X-Men were recruited from their own homes. Just feels like poor writing to manufacture another tired superteam fight.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Reed was an asshole negating Franklin's powers, but he has a point. Sooner or later Franklin would go to Krakoa... but, why now?
Xavier is not telling us everything.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not caught up on F4, but they said it's because as a child, they were fine leaving him with allied superheroes, but Franklin recently grew up to be a young adult and should be offered the same invitation as everyone else. Obviously he wanted to check it out, otherwise he wouldn't have tried to run through the gate or stow away on the Marauder.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
5-issue Juggernaut mini by Fabian Nicieza and Ron Garney!

HELL YES

RmYbhgg.jpg

JUGGERNAUT #1 (OF 5)

FABIAN NICIEZA (W) • RON GARNEY (A) • COVER BY GEOFF SHAW

READY OR 'NAUT, HERE HE COMES! A mystic gem. A force of overwhelming power. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut. Except himself. Another building falls. Cain Marko is done
letting others pick up the pieces of the things he's destroyed. Renowned X-scribe Fabian Nicieza (X-FORCE, DEADPOOL) and celebrated artist Ron Garney (CAPTAIN AMERICA, DAREDEVIL) team up to take the unstoppable in a new bold new direction!

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019

HELL YES

RmYbhgg.jpg

JUGGERNAUT #1 (OF 5)

READY OR 'NAUT, HERE HE COMES! A mystic gem. A force of overwhelming power. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut. Except himself. Another building falls. Cain Marko is done
letting others pick up the pieces of the things he's destroyed. Renowned X-scribe Fabian Nicieza (X-FORCE, DEADPOOL) and celebrated artist Ron Garney (CAPTAIN AMERICA, DAREDEVIL) team up to take the unstoppable in a new bold new direction!
No one wants a Nicieza written X-book in 2020. No one wants a Juggernaut book in 2020. What a bizarre choice.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

HELL YES

RmYbhgg.jpg

JUGGERNAUT #1 (OF 5)

i'm glad they are only subjecting us to 5 issues of this

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

HELL YES

RmYbhgg.jpg

JUGGERNAUT #1 (OF 5)

UniqueBriefArgentineruddyduck.gif

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
No mention of the FCBD book in here yet?

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNzUvMjk1L29yaWdpbmFsL0ZDQkRfWE1FTl8yMDIwLmpwZz8xNTgxMTAxODE4

First up, Free Comic Book Day 2020: X-Men will feature a new tale from Jonathan Hickman and Pepe Larraz that Marvel states will "lead to a game changing summer of X," and a second story that will "foreshadow an upcoming epic tale from Tom Taylor and Iban Coello."

I really have little evidence to base it on, but I have a feeling Taylor's stuff is going to spin out of his Return of Wolverine series with the New Avengers.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017

HELL YES

RmYbhgg.jpg

JUGGERNAUT #1 (OF 5)

It won't be as bad as Fallen Angels.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm even less excited for Juggernaut than I am for Fantomex. And Fantomex sucks.

wow Fantomex you gonna take that?

No mention of the FCBD book in here yet?

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNzUvMjk1L29yaWdpbmFsL0ZDQkRfWE1FTl8yMDIwLmpwZz8xNTgxMTAxODE4

I really have little evidence to base it on, but I have a feeling Taylor's stuff is going to spin out of his Return of Wolverine series with the New Avengers.

what stuff was that? i loved x men red but haven't read his all new wolverine stuff

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I liked X-Men/FF tbh, as per usual with hero team conflicts, both sides were written to act like idiots.

Oct 25, 2017
The premise for the comic is boring and I don't trust Nicieza to write a good comic in 2020. Blame Fallen Angels for my suspicious attitude towards new comics.