• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably overthinking things, but I wonder if this story is a lot more non-linear than it's assumed to be.

I know it's not presented that way, but I'm curious if it's supposed to be:
- mystique and her team steal the plans
- team goes into space to attack the station
- the space attack team get resurrected
- the other mutants (like banshee and such) who we know died, are resurrected
- the ambassadors get a tour of the embassy
- the UNSC votes and approves Krakoa
- The Villains come (since that's two days after the approval, I believe)

I think that's the main story beats in the present, but I wonder. We saw cuckoos in the embassy tour and yet they had to have been resurrected. So are we to assume they were resurrected and no fanfare was made about it? Or we instead meant to assume that the space attack mission happened before it, then they were resurrected, so Magneto saying "you have new gods now" is after the whole naked resurrection thing?

I may just be overthinking it, but otherwise all the mutants would have noticed resurrected mutants already and then suddenly theres a big show of "proof" to them? Why go through all that stuff with Storm "knowing them" if they already were hanging around with cuckoos, banshee, etc?

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably overthinking things, but I wonder if this story is a lot more non-linear than it's assumed to be.

I know it's not presented that way, but I'm curious if it's supposed to be:
- mystique and her team steal the plans
- team goes into space to attack the station
- the space attack team get resurrected
- the other mutants (like banshee and such) who we know died, are resurrected
- the ambassadors get a tour of the embassy
- the UNSC votes and approves Krakoa
- The Villains come (since that's two days after the approval, I believe)

I think that's the main story beats in the present, but I wonder. We saw cuckoos in the embassy tour and yet they had to have been resurrected. So are we to assume they were resurrected and no fanfare was made about it? Or we instead meant to assume that the space attack mission happened before it, then they were resurrected, so Magneto saying "you have new gods now" is after the whole naked resurrection thing?

I may just be overthinking it, but otherwise all the mutants would have noticed resurrected mutants already and then suddenly theres a big show of "proof" to them? Why go through all that stuff with Storm "knowing them" if they already were hanging around with cuckoos, banshee, etc?

I think your timeline is right. The embassy tour is probably after that resurrection of the suicide team, and there probably was fanfare when the cuckoos, Banshee, etc were revived, it just happened off-screen. The ceremony with Storm could be ritualistic in that they always do it after a set of resurrections, the suicide team is just the first instance of it being shown to readers.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
I think your timeline is right. The embassy tour is probably after that resurrection of the suicide team, and there probably was fanfare when the cuckoos, Banshee, etc were revived, it just happened off-screen. The ceremony with Storm could be ritualistic in that they always do it after a set of resurrections, the suicide team is just the first instance of it being shown to readers.
Yeah. I mean, we 100% already know that other periods have been shown as out of sequence, so maybe that extends to the present too (besides the obvious cypher and krakoa establishing)

if I had to take a guess, I would assume that some were resurrected in private that were vital to the operation of Krakoa. Since they knew that worked, it was all secret. Then they resurrected the space team and made a huge showing of it (since they knew it worked). After that is when they started resurrecting banshee and daken and the cuckoos, I assume.

The one question I have is....how exactly did they come to this plan? its hard to believe Moira learned of this in a past life, since she never used it and based on sinister's breeding pits on mars being life 9 (due to the chimera mutants), it doesn't seem like she learned of it in that long life either. I think if someone argued that the ascension time period with the phalanx is how they learned of it, then I could see that....but then how would people in this present period know about it? Or is the simple answer just "when sinister, Xavier and moria work together on what they know, they can figure out mutant resurrection"?

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still. The new X-men are brainwashing government officials and making allies with villains. I can hardly call them heroes anymore.

It's not that heroes are all squeaky clean but this is a step too far.
Considering all the stuff the x-men have had to put up with in the last few years I am more than okay with them doing what it takes.
Same. The X-Men and mutants in general have been underdogs since I was a little kid watching the Saturday morning cartoon. They're constantly antagonized, oppressed and marginalized. H/PoX is absolutely refreshing. A few posts here are basically Invisible Woman tsking Cyclops for what they're doing to survive, and his response is apropos:

uH3tmKJ.jpg

They're not heroes anymore? They are certainly heroes to mutants. Are they making morally grey choices? Yes, they have been forced to. Peaceful co-existence doesn't work. Playing nice with humans doesn't work. Capitulating does not work. Through Moira we have seen mutants try time and again to simply live alongside humans only to be exterminated down the line.

Given what they could do, given what little they're asking for and given what's at stake, a little brainwashing on some antagonistic government officials seems incredibly mild.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, I mean clearly you are supposed to be creeped out by this and there's obviously something afoot here. They aren't portraying this as normal or positive.

There are theories going around that...

...it isn't Xavier in Xavier's body but someone else who is using his powers to change the X-Men in subtle ways to ensure things go according to a certain plan. A good piece of evidence is that they specifically mentioned how they didn't attempt to put a mind in someone else's body. Why would you tell us what you didn't try to do, unless you did?

They pointed out for example that Xavier has multiple versions of each mutant and he can download any of those versions to new bodies, which might imply he's "save scumming" so they don't remember certain things or behave slightly differently to normal.

I wonder how close that is.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I mean, we 100% already know that other periods have been shown as out of sequence, so maybe that extends to the present too (besides the obvious cypher and krakoa establishing)

if I had to take a guess, I would assume that some were resurrected in private that were vital to the operation of Krakoa. Since they knew that worked, it was all secret. Then they resurrected the space team and made a huge showing of it (since they knew it worked). After that is when they started resurrecting banshee and daken and the cuckoos, I assume.

The one question I have is....how exactly did they come to this plan? its hard to believe Moira learned of this in a past life, since she never used it and based on sinister's breeding pits on mars being life 9 (due to the chimera mutants), it doesn't seem like she learned of it in that long life either. I think if someone argued that the ascension time period with the phalanx is how they learned of it, then I could see that....but then how would people in this present period know about it? Or is the simple answer just "when sinister, Xavier and moria work together on what they know, they can figure out mutant resurrection"?

Something is still off.

At the time they were going to Krakoa (Jean and the little girl Fauna) we can see Banshee at the background. That scene could not be after the suicide mission/resurrection, because all that stuff was happening at Krakoa. Was Banshee resurrected before? Wouldn't that be a big deal? Were the mission members aware of the resurrection process?

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, there's a pretty obvious candidate for who could be in X's body... Someone who is key to the entire series but has been mysteriously absent from this particular "life" so far.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017

...it isn't Xavier in Xavier's body but someone else who is using his powers to change the X-Men in subtle ways to ensure things go according to a certain plan. A good piece of evidence is that they specifically mentioned how they didn't attempt to put a mind in someone else's body. Why would you tell us what you didn't try to do, unless you did?

They pointed out for example that Xavier has multiple versions of each mutant and he can download any of those versions to new bodies, which might imply he's "save scumming" so they don't remember certain things or behave slightly differently to normal.

Related to what you said and i'll spoil it too (its related to upcoming issues even if it turns out its nothing), but I think its interesting that:
Issue 6 of Powers of X, the last "red issue", has Moira on the cover surrounded by fallen mutants and she is wearing an outfit that is meant to evoke Bastion.

A quick copy of the intro of the Marvel Wikia page for Bastion has some interesting comparisons with the current story:
Bastion was "born" when the giant robotic Sentinel Master Mold, having absorbed the advanced Sentinel prototype Nimrod into its systems, fought the X-men who saw no other way to stop the virtually indestructible amalgam except to force it through the Siege Perilous, a pan-dimensional portal which subjects those who pass through to the judgment of the universe's higher powers.

Re-emerging from the portal as an amnesiac
Human/Sentinel hybrid with a seemingly immortal essence

In addition to the above and pure speculation, but they made a data page focusing on the Omega Sentinel procedure and how it happens. What if the insinuation here is that in this life, Moira has somehow merged with Nimrod to become a new Bastion with the path forward moving towards her becoming an Omega Sentinel? Since Karima can somewhat control technology, it wouldn't be impossible to suggest that Moira, being a much more powerful Omega Sentinel/bastion hybrid, can also control technology. Ya know, like the Visor on Professor X's head.

I seem to theorize a lot of things wrong, so that's probably all nonsense. But its interesting to think about still and could explain some things.

Something is still off.

At the time they were going to Krakoa (Jean and the little girl Fauna) we can see Banshee at the background. That scene could not be after the suicide mission/resurrection, because all that stuff was happening at Krakoa. Was Banshee resurrected before? Wouldn't that be a big deal? Were the mission members aware of the resurrection process?

Good point. I think if someone argued he was a test run (because he was already resurrected from the Death Seed stuff and if they failed, well, he was "already dead" before death), that'd be believable. I guess it just comes across as strange that they didn't make a huge deal out of it until it was "popular mutants". With the whole minority analogy, it just feels kinda...off? like some matter more than others?

IIRC the narration for Moira said: she discovered that if she didn't make determined attempts to change events, they played out the same way. The idea of mass-resurrection of mutants may have come out of a brainstorming session between Moira 10 and Xavier that went like this:

1. We know what's going to happen for certain if we do not interfere.
2. There will be a mutant genocide.
3. If we try to prevent the genocide, it will only make things worse down the road.
4. What if we don't change events up to a certain point, but instead secretly prepare to cancel out the effects of genocide after it happens.
5. The only way to do that would be to bring back everyone who ever died.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

Oh yes. I subscribe to this theory.
It's Moira in Charles body

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC the narration for Moira said: she discovered that if she didn't make determined attempts to change events, they played out the same way. The idea of mass-resurrection of mutants may have come out of a brainstorming session between Moira 10 and Xavier that went like this:

1. We know what's going to happen for certain if we do not interfere.
2. There will be a mutant genocide.
3. If we try to prevent the genocide, it will only make things worse down the road.
4. What if we don't change events up to a certain point, but instead secretly prepare to cancel out the effects of genocide after it happens.
5. The only way to do that would be to bring back everyone who ever died.
That all makes sense, I just wonder how they came up with the plan to use those specific 5 mutants. I know they mentioned they "learned" about Goldball and his eggs, so the assumption is that it wasn't some grand past scheme or previous life, simply just a group of mutants researching and learning things?

I think it makes more sense with what you said though. If they decided years ago (when recruiting magneto and sinister) to have a resurrection plan, they could have spent years behind the scenes researching power combinations necessary to the plan. Or it could be really as simple as cypher helps establish krakoa, the "Sleeping Giant" program is initiated and Xavier gets a team of mutant researchers to "find a way to resurrect mutants please"? Or maybe it just doesn't matter? lol

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there's a pretty obvious candidate for who could be in X's body... Someone who is key to the entire series but has been mysteriously absent from this particular "life" so far.

I think is pretty obvious it is Moira in a cloned Xavier body. The art style makes him too feminine:

house-5-900x900.jpg

I believe they are going to reset the timeline once more at the end with Moira having all of the memories from this last life as the impersonating Prof. X. Setting the stage for a drastic change in character for the newer series after this is finished.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all keep searching for a theory when the conclusion that they've simply changed is obvious

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I think Magneto and Lorna's conversation pretty heavily indicated the five had already resurrected people in the past. It doesn't have to have been the first time ever for the Krakoans to celebrate the return of Cyclops and co, especially when they'd just saved mutantkind. I imagine they do a similar celebration for every batch of revivals.

Also I don't think Magneto's telling the ambassadors to go back to their "masters" and tell them all they've heard about Krakoa makes much sense if the vote had just happened or was about to happen, nor the ambassadors saying how Xavier had just sent out a telepathic message to the world about Krakoa when in HoX #5 he tells Magneto how the vote is scheduled for the very next day. I don't believe Hickman intends for the timeline of events to be that out-of-order at all.

Last edited:

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all keep searching for a theory when the conclusion that they've simply changed is obvious

People wanted the books to be good and fresh again, for the team to not be perpetual victims, but now that they are getting something new, now that the motivations and the means are actually nuanced and not so easily digestible, "something is off!!!"

I think Magneto and Lorna's conversation pretty heavily indicated the five had already resurrected people in the past. It doesn't have to have been the first time ever for the Krakoans to celebrate the return of Cyclops and co, especially when they'd just saved mutantkind. I imagine they do a similar celebration for every batch of revivals.

Also I don't think Magneto's telling the ambassadors to go back to their "masters" and tell them all they've heard about Krakoa makes much sense if the vote had just happened or was about to happen, nor the ambassadors saying how Xavier had just sent out a telepathic message to the world about Krakoa when in HoX #5 he tells Magneto how the vote is scheduled for the very next day. I don't believe Hickman intends for the timeline of events to be that out-of-order at all.

You're totally right. I forgot about the first few lines in HOX 1. And yeah, everything about the resurrection implies it's ritualistic and something they've done multiple times at that point.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for the inevitable "Vs. X-Men" title when some other hero has/ is about to die, and they want the X-men to save/ copy them.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
okay, I think its fair I overthought that timeline, so assuming the timeline of events is much more linear, then the spoiler text in the directors cut that I said back in post 2980 could make more sense now:

perhaps the importance of the speech is that "mutants can resurrect now"? at the very least we know for sure the pod spoilers are that its definitely Cyclops being resurrected. I believe the last issue mentioned the Russian ambassador was definitely going to say no, so I wonder if that is the relevance here.

I suspect the Omega Sentinel section will be much more relevant. She did sound somewhat sympathetic to mutants on the space station and there was the later data page focusing on how an Omega Sentinel comes about. Not making theories this time (unless I want to be wrong lol), but im guessing that's more important to the future than the tour or habitat

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I believe they are going to reset the timeline once more at the end with Moira having all of the memories from this last life as the impersonating Prof. X. Setting the stage for a drastic change in character for the newer series after this is finished.

I don't think there's time for that anymore. This mini-series is setting up multiple on-goings, most of them not written by Hickman, but all supposed to follow this new status quo. It likely will just result in problems down the road if they only have a couple of pages in the final issue showing the actual 616 status quo. We also know that the whole Krakoa system is in the mainstream continuity by now, so even if this isn't the main continuity it sounds like whatever is actually going forward will be extremely similar in all major points.

Last edited:

Chemo

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think there's time for that anymore. This mini-series is setting up multiple on-goings, most of them not written by Hickman, but all supposed to follow this new status quo. It likely will just result in problems down the road if they only have a couple of pages in the final issue showing the actual 616 status quo. We also know that the whole Krakoa system is in the mainstream continuity by now, so even if this isn't the main continuity it sounds like whatever is actually going forward will be extremely similar in all major points.
Agreed.

I think they'll save a Moira timeline reset for whatever major Secret Wars-scale event Hickman ends his X-Men run on several years down the line, when they can get a full reset for the entire 616 out of it, so they can do their normal thing and start all the books off at #1 again.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I wonder when/if that 6th life is ever going to come into play.

I think is pretty obvious it is Moira in a cloned Xavier body. The art style makes him too feminine:

house-5-900x900.jpg

I'm definitely reading into things a little too closely here, but that pose kinda reminds me of how Moira looks on PoX #6's cover.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If Moira goes into Prof X body wouldn't that cancel out her ressurection power technically, it might be the only way to make the ressurections stop when they achieve thier goal.

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017

I think it will be similar, but I think there will be more contention among the teams and less of the mutant state with everyone against the world.

I'm definitely reading into things a little too closely here, but that pose kinda reminds me of how Moira looks on PoX #6's cover.

I can see it with her hand position.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I, for one, totally believe the X-men's new clone-body immortality is here to stay, has no downsides whatsoever, there is nothing else at work, that human souls are fake news created by Mephisto who knows that stealing marriages is where the REAL power is, and everything is honky-dory from this point forward.

... Though a part of me wonders if they couldn't just make two Jean Greys so Wolverine and Cyclops could finally get along?

Heh, just kidding. Cyclops would cheat on his Jean Grey with the other Jean Grey.

If Moira goes into Prof X body wouldn't that cancel out her ressurection power technically, it might be the only way to make the ressurections stop when they achieve thier goal.

Random speculation: portable Cerebro could be a storage device for Moira's mind that allows it to remain active and act through Xavier's body. They could be sharing time. All to keep Moira on "pause" and prevent things from being reset again.

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017

I would think they keep her body on ice like they did in one of her other lives. Then they could remerge her body and new mind before she dies.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Which? And what would be the point of Moira masquerading as X?

Moira and classic Xavier have different mindsets about mutants role in the world.

Moira has seen the other timelines and knows what's in store. She feels mutants need to do whatever is necessary to ensure their survival including dominating the planet and bending humans to their will. Xavier has always believed in cohabitation and inspiring others by example. He would NEVER have agreed to do what Emma did in the United Nations. Otherwise Xavier would have done something like that multiple times over in the past.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017

She may not be in Charles's body. This Charles never takes off his Cerebro helmet - maybe Moira is either in the helmet herself, or remote piloting Charles using Cerebro to control him.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
I really dont follow getting all hand wringy over the methods the mutants are resorting to when, and this isnt even counting all moiras past lives, they have been the perpetual victims of multiple genicide attempts.
They could be going so SO much further and it would still be pretty justified.

"bending to their will"

She got one dude to abstain.
Lol yeah, she even made that whole point in the courtroom scene that she is flat out being way more diplomatic and less mindmeldy than she usually would.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
s
Moira and classic Xavier have different mindsets about mutants role in the world.

Moira has seen the other timelines and knows what's in store. She feels mutants need to do whatever is necessary to ensure their survival including dominating the planet and bending humans to their will. Xavier has always believed in cohabitation and inspiring others by example. He would NEVER have agreed to do what Emma did in the United Nations. Otherwise Xavier would have done something like that multiple times over in the past.

Exactly or more likely Xavier gave her her own body clone and he is out there doing something else

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Moira in a Bastion suit is too big not to be upcoming and important. When we're over being shocked that she joined up with Magneto, Sinister, Apocalypse, Moira plus Sentinels should just be expected.

I still think this whole course is too far gone to be ongoing into the new titles, but it's certainly looking that way. I still kind of expect things to go bad, Moira learning from it, then deciding well everything we did just up to Krakoa was cool... and XI Moira being 616 with the island setting.

Deleted member 11046

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well yes, but... this is not classic Xavier, though, right? Moira V "radicalized" an Xavier simply by showing him his dream die just once. This Xavier has seen himself fail in multiple lives in addition to the failures of Magneto and Apoc to boot. My reading has always been that Moira's truth irrevocably altered who Xavier is. Yes, she has seen other "timelines" and knows what's in store. And now so has he, through her.

I don't understand why Moira would need to impersonate Charles when, at this stage, she and he and Magneto are still working in unison. And it makes me anxious I might have misread something, or missed something major about how this story is unfolding.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also guys Xavier said he isnt xavier anymore. When he fused with fantomex he became a new character esstentially.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
At this point I don't think there's any shenanigans going on with Xavier, I think Hickman definitely wants you to feel something is off, especially with the Maker design but ultimately he IS Charles fucking Xavier. Moira did what she said she was going to do, radicalize Xavier and go all the way with "breaking the rules", this is rule breaker Xavier.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling everything is on the up and up but whats not being shown (purposely) is context for a lot of these scenes in house. Like we are being shown scenes that are super off-putting when shown by themselves but when put in context it's nothing wrong. I kinda liked the earlier theory about it being wierd to the reader cause they are human and they are trying to enact the same feeling the humans I'm universe would feel to this

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
One of the things that I have been thinking is that Moira didn't try every possibility to stop the AÍ against mutants. There is one side she didn't try: to join them. "If you can beat them, join them". A life spent in the other side, gathering information that can be useful in another life. Maybe that was Moira 6?

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's super important, but why exactly is Xavier always wearing the helmet?

he wasn't wearing it years ago, yet it was still cataloging mutant memories (it's stated and some of the resurrections were from years ago)
he wasn't wearing it when taking cypher to krakoa
he's only been wearing it since "some point after taking cypher" until the current storyline

is it simply that it allows him to know when a mutant dies? or to "record" mutant memories once a week instead of maybe once every few months?

its probably nothing, I'm just curious. Though the theories surrounding "Moira is in his body" could explain that. The helmet may function not only as a way to ensure his (her?) mind can't be read, but also to ensure nobody can see into the eyes as they always say that's the window to the soul (and could clue characters in that this isn't Xavier more than the weird actions/body language does)

the only thing of note is that "X" (Xavier in fantomex's body thing) appears to be the cerebro wearing Xavier which is younger and more muscular, while the Xavier that met with Cypher looks like the older bald Xavier. Since we 100% know Xavier has been making empty husks of himself (for proteus), then maybe (a huge maybe) Moira has betrayed Xavier, locked him in the tumor area of Krakoa and is now using his young body to rule the X-men for her own needs? I feel that could make sense as a huge twist since her being revealed as a mutant is shocking, but her being revealed as a villain would be more shocking while being consistent (she became radicalized and was an assassin, acolyte and horseman with little hint that she regrets all the damage she has caused to entire timelines. and shes been alive for hundreds of years)

just imagine the end of Powers of X 6 with "Charles" locked up somewhere and X removes the helmet and we see a repeat of him asking "who are you" with a replay of "why don't you read my mind Charles? read my mind and see". That'd be huge since theres that cloud around all the future of the x-men books of their "leader" being essentially insane after years and years of being murdered by humans, robots, other mutants, etc.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
It's my understanding that memories are constantly being stored, it's just the backups are done weekly. I'm still skeptical of this "Xavier"...there's too much opportunity to edit/manipulate/fabricate memories to shape to "his" ideal vision.