• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that bugs me is that if any Mutant can be reborn, is there really any threat or impact when they die now? Sure there are other ways in instill fear in a story, and death has really never meant anything in comics, but I'm sure you get what I mean.

Otherwise, what an awesome issue! So glad to see Hickman use Hope as more than just a stand in for Jean. Then bringing in Bendis's X-Men! Hell yes!

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
But in that same way, they could have the backup husks of the other 4 to be imprinted by Xavier at any time.

They won't, for philosophical/moral reasons. They don't want accidental duplicates wandering around. Hickman is explicit that a copy is only made after a mutant has been confirmed dead and/or completely unreachable by cerebro for a month.

Three things:

1) I can see Hickman trying to play with the mind-body problem, here
2) Hickman plays with death a lot in his series. I think he does it well - death and resurrection often happen within his ongoings themselves. He's one of the few writers that takes advantage of comic book death as a revolving door without it feeling on-the-nose or cheap. I trust him here.
3) The note of resurrection in the wrong host body is interesting. I wonder if Xavier being in Fantomex's body changes anything about him, and if it explains... the current situation?

regarding #3- it is interesting and I have no doubt we'll see it eventually. But regarding Xavier-

1.) He's not actually in Fantomex's body. He used his telepathy (?!) to molecularly restructure fantomex's body into an entirely different one that suited his needs. Psylocke did the same thing when gaining back her "british" body after losing her asian one. This was made explicit when X was unable to heal from a stab wound that wolverine assumed he could tank because Fantomex's powerset would have allowed it. X couldn't because the body he was now in was NOT the one Fantomex had.

2.) Overlooked in that Arc is that Xavier was unable to immediately return after Cyclops killed him because he ran into the shadow king on the astral plane. The two were locked in combat for a VERY long time- as time flows differently on the A.P. this was equivalent to decades or perhaps hundreds of years, and shadow king is capable of some horrifying stuff there. THAT experience is likely what changed Xavier- he was more than a "little" ruthless even before returning to earth.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They won't, for philosophical/moral reasons. They don't want accidental duplicates wandering around. Hickman is explicit that a copy is only made after a mutant has been confirmed dead and/or completely unreachable by cerebro for a month.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that point. Maaaaaaan he really thought this out to the minute details.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The only thing that bugs me is that if any Mutant can be reborn, is there really any threat or impact when they die now? Sure there are other ways in instill fear in a story, and death has really never meant anything in comics, but I'm sure you get what I mean.

Otherwise, what an awesome issue! So glad to see Hickman use Hope as more than just a stand in for Jean. Then bringing in Bendis's X-Men! Hell yes!
I have to assume this method of resurrection won't be sustainable or all the mutant dna is somehow tainted with something sinister.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I have to assume this method of resurrection won't be sustainable or all the mutant dna is somehow tainted with something sinister.

Sinister is the obvious monkey wrench in Xavier's plans here. We only have three issues left before HoX/PoX concludes though.

I was more bringing it up as a point they could insert "X-Man/David Haller/Whoever screwed with reality and Xavier wound up in his own body again!"

This isn't what Age of X-man was though, and not only was Xavier nowhere near the events when they occurred (this is a hell of a plot hole, btw) with the exception of a handful of people, he was assumed to still be dead by virtually everyone.

There's also the issue that the body Xavier constructed for himself is for all intents and purposes "his own" body, just as Betsy Braddock's current body is hers. The procedure was the same.

Oct 26, 2017
Sinister is the obvious monkey wrench in Xavier's plans here. We only have three issues left before HoX/PoX concludes though.

This isn't what Age of X-man was though, and not only was Xavier nowhere near the events when they occurred (this is a hell of a plot hole, btw) with the exception of a handful of people, he was assumed to still be dead by virtually everyone.

There's also the issue that the body Xavier constructed for himself is for all intents and purposes "his own" body, just as Betsy Braddock's current body is hers. The procedure was the same.

TBF, neither was Dani Moonstar.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I like the callback to Jean and Storm's first reunion during Inferno....but Jean's reply felt like a line reading "Oh....I'm the only me that ever was"...something still feels off there

puPCzQd_d.jpg

This whole "using Cerebro/a to collect, store, and re-insert a mind" into a new body was essentially Jean's idea, back when she saved Xavier

SL9IRCC_d.jpg

He's actually been curious about this since Jean transferred her mind into Emma's body(HUSK, if you will

ER9DhAv_d.jpg

Lol@making Goldballs relevant...and I hope(lol) Hope dies and Synch takes her place

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
What feels so off about this is that there's no dissidence outside of that one Wolverine line, it's really weird that nobody is like "hey this is weird" or "I'm just gonna live my life go away". I'm thinking of X-Factor during decimation/Utopia and their desire to be on their own even with the crises going on.

It just doesn't feel right having everyone 100% on board with everything, especially that stuff about the five that do the resurrection or allowing the bad guys to come over. I hope that's a plot point that gets addressed soon, otherwise everything's going to feel wrong to me when I read the ongoings.

I agree. Logan in particular seems like one that would be against some of this.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

After returning he looked identical to when he (Well, Shadow King) was with Fantomex's body though, nothing seemingly changed physically.

Oct 26, 2017
Dani was in the event, and explained why she was included even though Nate didn't explicitly bring her into that continuity.

Xavier was just straight up not there and never mentioned.

Oh, you're talking about the event as a whole, I thought you meant the battle that kicked AOXMan off. If ignoring the whole X development was their intent, not bringing him into their big event seems like the way to do it.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Oh, you're talking about the event as a whole, I thought you meant the battle that kicked AOXMan off. If ignoring the whole X development was their intent, not bringing him into their big event seems like the way to do it.

Dani was not present for the battle that kicked everything off, but DOES appear in Prisoner X, remembering the prior continuity. She's also present in the "real" world in Uncanny.

Why this is gets explained at the conclusion of the series.

chiraledge

Oct 25, 2017
X regularly copying memories and such with Cerbero reminds me of the learning beds capturing Hank and Dean's minds for cloning on Venture Bros.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
After returning he looked identical to when he (Well, Shadow King) was with Fantomex's body though, nothing seemingly changed physically.

Xavier reconstructed the body he "borrowed" from Fantomex at the molecular level into something else. It's not the same body Fantomex had. X straight up says so after being stabbed and explaining that he doesn't have a healing factor because it's not the same body.

Betsy Braddock did the same thing after losing her "asian" body. She used a "borrowed" body as raw material to reconstruct the one she was born with.

I agree. Logan in particular seems like one that would be against some of this.

There's no reason to be against any of it, since every OTHER solution resulted in Mutantkind being horribly wiped out. "Something radical" is the only way anyone lives more than a couple more years. Why would Wolverine object? what solution could he possibly come up with that might work instead?

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

regarding #3- it is interesting and I have no doubt we'll see it eventually. But regarding Xavier-

1.) He's not actually in Fantomex's body. He used his telepathy (?!) to molecularly restructure fantomex's body into an entirely different one that suited his needs. Psylocke did the same thing when gaining back her "british" body after losing her asian one. This was made explicit when X was unable to heal from a stab wound that wolverine assumed he could tank because Fantomex's powerset would have allowed it. X couldn't because the body he was now in was NOT the one Fantomex had.

2.) Overlooked in that Arc is that Xavier was unable to immediately return after Cyclops killed him because he ran into the shadow king on the astral plane. The two were locked in combat for a VERY long time- as time flows differently on the A.P. this was equivalent to decades or perhaps hundreds of years, and shadow king is capable of some horrifying stuff there. THAT experience is likely what changed Xavier- he was more than a "little" ruthless even before returning to earth.

Interesting; good to know!

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Yeah, the whole thing definitely seems morally suspect. I'm guessing the visual parallels to Maker (and Cassandra Nova last issue) are supposed to drive that home.

Nice to have an idea about where the other Dawn of X books are going to be starting from. I'm assuming Marauders is probably going to involve that team transporting the Krakoan drugs internationally.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy other people are talking about this. I thought I was going crazy. Logan doesn't seem like himself. The whole scenario has a cult like feel on the page.

The proof positive of this is the naked X-Men smiling on stage with their songs hanging out in front of every one they know INCLUDING CHILDREN.

Couldn't someone have done this process to "resurrect" Xavier but then but someone else's mind backup into the body? Now we've got someone unethical pretending to be Xavier with access to his powers running the show. Maybe someone like....Moira?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Yeah, the whole thing definitely seems morally suspect. I'm guessing the visual parallels to Maker (and Cassandra Nova last issue) are supposed to drive that home.

Nice to have an idea about where the other Dawn of X books are going to be starting from. I'm assuming Marauders is probably going to involve that team transporting the Krakoan drugs internationally.

Xavier being in a morally grey area at best is pretty obvious. I agree the "maker" and "cassandra nova" parallels are both obvious and intentional, in case nobody read Astonishing Xmen or the Astonishing Annual.

I vaguely recall someone mentioning that whatever they're shipping in "marauders" is something they don't want going by "gate" so it may not be drugs, but something more volatile.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Xavier reconstructed the body he "borrowed" from Fantomex at the molecular level into something else. It's not the same body Fantomex had. X straight up says so after being stabbed and explaining that he doesn't have a healing factor because it's not the same body.

Betsy Braddock did the same thing after losing her "asian" body. She used a "borrowed" body as raw material to reconstruct the one she was born with.

There's no reason to be against any of it, since every OTHER solution resulted in Mutantkind being horribly wiped out. "Something radical" is the only way anyone lives more than a couple more years. Why would Wolverine object? what solution could he possibly come up with that might work instead?

The end plan here seems to be not just mutants having an equal representation on the world stage, but mutant superiority. Logan doesn't seem like one that would support that decision.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Everyone obviously recognizes that Betsy's appearance changed though, while everyone else seemed to think that Xavier was in Fantomex's body and only noticed it wasn't the case when it turned out he didn't have regeneration anymore. I always thought that line was more about him removing the weird enhancements and physiology of Fantomex's body to write out his powers/limitations and stay just with Xavier's powerset rather than him rebuilding his original body due to how it was handled.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The "somethings rotten in Denmark" meter just keeps on going up and up with every issue. Hickman obviously won't keep this resurrection door swinging for too long, takes too much out of the sails in a story IMO.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
There's another subtle weird Xavier beat, this time as he and Magneto are watching the Exposed X-Men cult rally. Magneto brings up Genosha, and then Prof has a whole panel of him just smirking.

Could Xavier have been involved in the attack on Genosha as part of his plan? That could be the eventual schism.

Otherwise, I can't see this being the status quo going forward. Just a bunch of weird, unrelatable exhibitionist cultists?

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's another subtle weird Xavier beat, this time as he and Magneto are watching the Exposed X-Men cult rally. Magneto brings up Genosha, and then Prof has a whole panel of him just smirking.

Could Xavier have been involved in the attack on Genosha as part of his plan? That could be the eventual schism.

Otherwise, I can't see this being the status quo going forward. Just a bunch of weird, unrelatable exhibitionist cultists?

Well that's the thing, these are all characters that really shouldn't be playing nicely together. Especially the villain group they brought in this last issue.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EGGBALLS

I have to say though, Brazil rejecting miracle drugs (Even if Bolsonaro is a thing in this fictional world) makes no sense.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I have to say though, Brazil rejecting miracle drugs (Even if Bolsonaro is a thing in this fictional world) makes no sense.

Usually it wouldn't make any sense, but with Bolsonaro it could happen, really. He makes way too many decisions based on personal beliefs rather than any pragmatism. If in the Marvel Universe he dislikes Krakoa/mutants, he'd side against it.

Last edited:

Derrick

Apr 18, 2018
Great issue! One of the things I like most about the status quo they're setting up is that it has me questioning my own reactions to this new mutant culture. When Xavier is looking particularly creepy in his helmet, I'm asking myself "Maybe I just see it that way because it's an entirely new culture and therefore alien/threatening."

I hope that's something they really lean into in the ongoings. I think it's far more interesting to have the thing that Xavier is building seem threatening to the world (and to some extent the reader) because it's a culture separate from mankind. Inherit bias against the "other." I mean, given the extreme things that Moira X has shown us... it jives with me that the response has to be this extreme. And therefore scary af!

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great issue! One of the things I like most about the status quo they're setting up is that it has me questioning my own reactions to this new mutant culture. When Xavier is looking particularly creepy in his helmet, I'm asking myself "Maybe I just see it that way because it's an entirely new culture and therefore alien/threatening."

I hope that's something they really lean into in the ongoings. I think it's far more interesting to have the thing that Xavier is building seem threatening to the world (and to some extent the reader) because it's a culture separate from mankind. Inherit bias against the "other." I mean, given the extreme things that Moira X has shown us... it jives with me that the response has to be this extreme. And therefore scary af!

I think that's what's going on with most of the responses people have. To me, it's pretty much the thing every mutant has ever wanted. The situations a lot of the bad guys have been in are the result of being out of place with humans. I fucking LOVED Apocalypse's lines about this is all he's ever wanted.

Seeing the mutants work together like that to make the clones was sick.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I just have to hope that there's more to this, because if this is really how the X-Men are going to be written than I'm probably done with the franchise for the foreseeable future. This is stripping them of their relatability.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Hickman has retroactively made reading Bendis's UXM more appealing to me.

I still don't like Jean taking on the Marvel Girl persona again. After the last HoX issue, it felt like she was a younger version of herself. Like whenever Cerebro made the copy of her must have been at an earlier point in history compared to some of the other characters or something.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

I dunno. The thing about the "mutant culture" is that this culture isn't gradually and naturally coming into existence. Until very recently, the mutants have either been members of the culture of their home city/country, or members of the weird superhero/supervillain sub-cultures.

This is essentially one man deciding how everything should be, and then everyone else is weirdly going along with it, even though plenty of them would/should have reasonable (or not so reasonable, but still present) objections.

That's pretty spooky.

I don't even buy that Xavier showing them Moira's memories would be enough. Half of the X-Men's (or supers in general) existence is "No, we'll never let that happen! We'll find another way!" Some of the villains just love being villainous for villainy's sake.

Nobody's worried about having their brain read and stored on a weekly basis? What if someone got access to those records?

What if someone doesn't want to live on a nature island?

I'm finding it super weird that Kurt's okay with just being resurrected in this manner, too.

Oct 26, 2017
Hickman has retroactively made reading Bendis's UXM more appealing to me.

I still don't like Jean taking on the Marvel Girl persona again. After the last HoX issue, it felt like she was a younger version of herself. Like whenever Cerebro made the copy of her must have been at an earlier point in history compared to some of the other characters or something.

Cerebro copies them weekly, so that seems unlikely.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Someone earlier brought up Altered Carbon and I thought about that too-especially because the Cerebro backup happens once a week. What happens if someone sees something they're not supposed to and is killed-then revived and restored from their week old backup? Something similar happens in Altered Carbon but it's a one hour backup. There's a murder mystery about what happened in that hour.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Everyone obviously recognizes that Betsy's appearance changed though, while everyone else seemed to think that Xavier was in Fantomex's body and only noticed it wasn't the case when it turned out he didn't have regeneration anymore. I always thought that line was more about him removing the weird enhancements and physiology of Fantomex's body to write out his powers/limitations and stay just with Xavier's powerset rather than him rebuilding his original body due to how it was handled.

The issue there is that nobody had any idea what Fantomex actually looked like, so there was no way to know whether Xavier made drastic changes and what they were. Xavier had also never *molecularly restructured a body* using telepathy before, that was wild when he did it and still is.

The assumption was that Xavier's mind was just in a body that wasn't his (think about when Emma Frost took Bobby's) but Xavier made it clear he did something else. Betsy doing the same thing during the return of wolverine books is significant since she was one of the only people that knew Xavier had returned AND what he had done to fantomex's body. She took what she learned in Astonishing from X and applied it.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The cloning thing feels unnecessarily complicated and Xavier HAS to be doing some light form of mind control on everyone in Karakoa. It'd just be too weird otherwise.

I'm just going to assume whatever's happening in House of X isn't the main timeline/the life of Moira that's going to be the focus of Hickman's X-Men #1.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
The resurrection doesn't seem complicated to me, was well explained.

The font of the text definitely makes me think it's not main timeline/universe, but we'll see.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The end plan here seems to be not just mutants having an equal representation on the world stage, but mutant superiority. Logan doesn't seem like one that would support that decision.

That's the thing- the Xavier goal of equal representation and peaceful coexistence failed horribly. not once but TWICE in two of the moira lifetimes. Xavier's dream of peaceful coexistence simply doesn't work.

By that token neither does Magneto's, and neither does Apocalypse's.

It was only a fusion of the three ideas that had any chance of working, and that means that things like unifying EVERYONE (villains included) into a single nation-state to actively advance mutant interests is the only other option. What idea could Wolverine possibly come up with that has a prayer of working any better?

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it really cult-like or are people here just adverse to seeing what is now a mutant culture?