• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Similar to Uzumaki Goku's question above about Jean, is Iceman in this series? I followed his recent two solo series, and I'm interested in the upcoming Marauders because he's in it.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I never read a X-Men comic before, but damn, that was good.
I wll gladly pay whatever the price.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The only plausible explanation I can think of is that Nate Grey is not in Earth 616 but another plane of existence after Age of X-man and may very well be deceased. Of course, being dead didn't seem to stop half a dozen other people from showing up in that issue.

Yea.
I was thinking maybe because he originated from the AoA he wasn't included? But idk. It was weird seeing Legion on that list and not X-Man. I'm trying not to overthink it, but it just (very) slightly bugs me lol.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I hope you all are enjoying it. I might pick it up myself as it seems like an interesting jumping in point to the X-Men. Although i have to wonder, what's up with Professor X? He's not in a wheelchair anymore? Was that answered in another story or is it still a mystery to us all?

He was killed for a while and returned to life after a young mutant exchanged his life with him giving Xavier's mind his body. That said, the fact that he is wearing this helmet here and his face was never shown does suggest there will be some twist regarding his identity or current status tied only to this series itself. I wouldn't be surprised if he entirely avoids going into that and only focuses in this more recent twist, whatever it is.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Big takeaway here was that Magneto was right. Humans ain't shit, mutants are the new wave, get on board or die tbh.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
EAQjk5XXsAELbPw

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Okay how about....

Marvel trying to make them the new hotness and wiping out mutants and framing Cyke as the mutant Hitler even tho he was right*

Word has it that Inhumans were Perlmutters baby and everyone else kinda hated the push.

Regardless, theres a VERY long post i wrote back in the day that laid out a lot of evidence that the plan was to character assasinate cyclops and have the mutants commit some serious atrocities until editorial backed off.

Rendered the entire mutant/inhuman conflict insane and nonsensical in the process.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Big thing about Hickman House of X is following up on Morrison's major theme about mutants being the next stage of evolution. The extinction gene made it clear that Homo sapiens were out, homo superior was in.

latest

This theme colors his run with mutant clothes, culture, the fear of the young replacing the old, etc but mutants were still endangered with the Genosha Genocide And House of M. This issue corrects that by putting Mutants at the top of the evolutionary ladder. And it's the kind of sweeping change across the marvel universe nobody has really had the power to enact until now. Or the powers that be were simply too timid to go all the way in with it until now.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

This should put the Maker speculation to rest.

Similar to Uzumaki Goku's question above about Jean, is Iceman in this series? I followed his recent two solo series, and I'm interested in the upcoming Marauders because he's in it.

Iceman hasn't been seen yet, no. But then, almost no one is really "in" this book so far in terms of "this character is a constant perspective in the plot". That could change with the following issues, but it probably won't because it's not really about any one set of characters so much as it concerns mutants as a race of people and their culture. The characters we'll see most consistently will probably be Prof X, Magneto, Cyclops; the ones that tend to have leadership roles basically.

Again, that's a guess though! Who knows what's in House of X #2!

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017

This should put the Maker speculation to rest.

Iceman hasn't been seen yet, no. But then, almost no one is really "in" this book so far in terms of "this character is a constant perspective in the plot". That could change with the following issues, but it probably won't because it's not really about any one set of characters so much as it concerns mutants as a race of people and their culture. The characters we'll see most consistently will probably be Prof X, Magneto, Cyclops; the ones that tend to have leadership roles basically.

Again, that's a guess though! Who knows what's in House of X #2!

Thanks! If that's the case, I'll probably hang tight and see how Marauders turns out. It sounds like there is probably some fascinating world-building going on, but I'm okay with just jumping in later when my favorites show up. Thank you again for the information!

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I haven't read an X-Men comic since midway through the Bendis run, and while I'm not up on recent happenings, I liked this issue a lot.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Big thing about Hickman House of X is following up on Morrison's major theme about mutants being the next stage of evolution. The extinction gene made it clear that Homo sapiens were out, homo superior was in.

latest

This theme colors his run with mutant clothes, culture, the fear of the young replacing the old, etc but mutants were still endangered with the Genosha Genocide And House of M. This issue corrects that by putting Mutants at the top of the evolutionary ladder. And it's the kind of sweeping change across the marvel universe nobody has really had the power to enact until now. Or the powers that be were simply too timid to go all the way in with it until now.

The interesting thing here is in addition to counter culture t-shirts and new forms of poetry, we're also getting a glimpse into mutant science and how it is also something out of the grasp of normal humans. When I say out of the grasp of normies I mean how their ecosystem and technology is built to be in harmony with Krakoa. Not only is Mutant kind considerate of their world, the world responds back and let's them know it's appreciated. The contrast to modern human society is meant to be obvious and the kind of thing I think Morrison would certainly touch on if he were writing X-Men right now.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, SO GOOD. Has anyone translated the last two pages, yet?

Oh, and that's

definitely The Maker, right? Like, no doubt?

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
It's neat how much this feels like a continuation of Morrison's themes and ideas. Almost makes it feel like the last 15 years of X-Men comics were a detour!

Also, I'd like to imagine Hickman is a bit more ambitious than making this another Maker story. Judging by October solicits, everyone'll be getting their fill of that character anyway.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
This is a good question. Rogue at her peak was able to stack the powers of every hero on the planet. Current Rogue has upgraded her powers so that not only are they controllable, they're AOE as Hope summers is.

There's not a very good answer as to why Hope is on that list other than "plot reasons to be revealed later" I suppose.
She was Meme during the majority of Spurrier's X-Force.

I don't mean like, used Meme's powers through her body.

She basically WAS Meme.
but by the definition hickman is using to exclude Forge, Storm's potential has been matched or exceeded by known means, and those means are those employed by Thor. The levels Thor hits with his/her weather control are so insanely high that Storm hitting those before she dies of old age are extremely unlikely.

edit: but regardless- I don't think that list is meant to be definitive. I believe it's an acquisition list drawn up for a specific purpose, as apocalypse's "the twelve" list was years ago.
I think there's a bit of text that is being overlooked: on the list it says that there are several humans that surpass Forge. Maybe Omega level specifically applies to mutants who are not surpassed by humans? In the conversation about Storm vs Thor, Thor is something different entirely. Compared to humans though, Storm would know no equal, yeah?
Okay, useless nerdy factoid but the head of engineering for Orchis is named Zaha Gehry, I assume that's a portemanteau of two Pritzker winning architects, Zaha Hadid and Frank Gehry.
I'm happier to have known this
don't lie, that never happened
The books were better by a mile

chiraledge

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't kept up on superhero comics in forever (last time I was reading one regularly was...Squirrel Girl?), but this first issue hooked me and I'm so excited to see where this goes next.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Hickman's basis for OLM seems to conflate two different things IMO. First we had Omega Level mutants. Then there was a period when Emma Frost was being described as an "Omega-Class Telepath", but not outright an Omega Level telepath or mutant.. She is a high level telepath well versed in a variety of skills under that powerset(mind reading, mind control, illusion casting, etc), but with a limit to how much power she can actually output.

To me the difference was, Omega Level Mutant was standalone...you have unlimited potential in the use of your mutant power. If you exist in a vacuum, that doesn't change. Omega-Class *power* on the other hand, was more comparative based, and could change based on circumstances. Like this description from one of the Age of Apocalypse series.

Emma's power level didn't change...it's just that more powerful psychics died or lost power, so she was the next top thing by default.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
If anyone here has read the recent run of Astonishing X-Men, both Soule's run which reintroduced Xavier as a living, flesh-and-blood walking human, and Rosenberg's run which had the Annual where he met up with the original five X-Men as adults (sans Scott who was still dead at the time), he is very much not a nearly the benevolent person he once was.

The idea that he's doing something fucked up before all that? Not surprising either. Even less surprising now.
Hickman's basis for OLM seems to conflate two different things IMO. First we had Omega Level mutants. Then there was a period when Emma Frost was being described as an "Omega-Class Telepath", but not outright an Omega Level telepath or mutant.. She is a high level telepath well versed in a variety of skills under that powerset(mind reading, mind control, illusion casting, etc), but with a limit to how much power she can actually output.

To me the difference was, Omega Level Mutant was standalone...you have unlimited potential in the use of your mutant power. If you exist in a vacuum, that doesn't change. Omega-Class *power* on the other hand, was more comparative based, and could change based on circumstances. Like this description from one of the Age of Apocalypse series.

Emma's power level didn't change...it's just that more powerful psychics died or lost power, so she was the next top thing by default.
It was always up to interpretation, though. Like you always get such wonky-ass arguments based on random feats about who should and should not be an Omega, and we have a list with hard rules and names on it and we're still having debates. That's why the hard line had to be drawn and the hard list made up. Confusing as fuck, and now it's not, essentially.

I never understood the Omega system. Basically I figured in order to be Omega you had to be practically unkillable. Vulcan only got killed because Black Bolt set off a bomb that ripped open reality, and he survived and somehow so did Vulcan according to this and the Dawn of X solicits.

Last edited:

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Great read! First comic in 10+ years and it was fun. I think this thread should be open spoilers though.

1) Who was the mutant with Sage?

2) I'm assuming that this issue was longer than average cause it was the first issue? The rest of the series will be shorter in length?

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Great read! First comic in 10+ years and it was fun. I think this thread should be open spoilers though.

1) Who was the mutant with Sage?

2) I'm assuming that this issue was longer than average cause it was the first issue? The rest of the series will be shorter in length?
1) Cypher a.k.a. Doug Ramsey. Power to understand and speak any language. This includes computer and body languages as well. One of the original New Mutants. Killed back in the late 80's brought back in the late 00's

2) not sure

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This is my first chance to read a Hickman Marvel saga from the every beginning, something I didn't get to do when he started with Fantastic Four (started during the Incursions). Based on this first X-Men book, is it worth it to go ahead & dive in right now? (I fell off of everything after Secret Wars.)

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is my first chance to read a Hickman Marvel saga from the every beginning, something I didn't get to do when he started with Fantastic Four (started during the Incursions). Based on this first X-Men book, is it worth it to go ahead & dive in right now? (I fell off of everything after Secret Wars.)
yes

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Only mutants can enter Krakoa.
Unless... He was accompanied by a mutant who he fooled into thinking he was Xavier. Right? Not that I think it's him, just entertaining the thought.
Absolutely. This is meant to be a jumping on point for Hickman's era of X-books and as someone who hasn't kept up with the X-books in a few years now, this was a good starting point for me.
She showed up on the cover of one of the recent Age of Xman crossovers- probably because Bachalo likes her.

DwgijgLW0AEdKkz.jpg

Absent in the story itself though.
She's a fan favorite- a lot of people liked her design, character, and abilities but I can see how Marvel might be reluctant to include her since you simply CAN'T without heavily nerfing her because she's so broken.

There's no reason not to "Matthew Malloy" any threat that shows up if she's still wandering around as part of the Xmen.
Damn... but yeah, she's way too powerful to keep around. I'd like to at least get another story with her like that Annual where she met future Illyana.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got time to read it, and I'm super intrigued to say the least.

I hope Hickman will use Wanda in the future. She's my favorite mutant (yeah I know she's not) and retcons her back to being one.

There's such a strange atmosphere to this whole issue.