• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Man, what a great first issue, but I shouldn't be surprised haha. Very dense and true to Hickman form. Lots of info, but at the same time it was a breezy read for me.
My two favorite scenes in the issue was Cyclops talking to the F4 and Magneto's declaration at the end. Asshole Cyclops is best Cyclops, and setting up a potential Franklin plot point is really exciting! Magneto's line, "You have new Gods, now" has to be one of the coolest things he's ever said.
Interested to see how Powers of X change our perspective on this issue.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Esme is back, Sophie is back, Cyclops seems to have both eyes, Kuan-Yin Xorn AND Shen Xorn are back, Banshee is back. That is a LOT of "dead" mutants popping up out of nowhere.

edit: Wait, isn't Sinister supposed to have something to do with all of this? Sinister has long been known to be able to clone anyone he wants without a lot of restrictions.

I only know the versions of these characters from the Ultimate universe, when they tried to fight Maker's Children of Tomorrow. How were they in 616?

And, has anyone mentioned this, but the font is not standard 616 universe speech font, is it?
If the font choice was intentional, I have the strangest feeling there's one hell of an eventual surprise headed our way.

Looks similar to Maker's/1610's font, but it's been a while since I saw it.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Couple of things

I knew Banshee was alive again, but both Esme and Sophie both alive again and being that specific two Cuckoos featured in the issue makes me feel it was deliberate enough to make us suspicious of Xavier's actions and motives.
Can you explain this to me as I am not familiar with the
Cuckoos and their deaths.
As in why those in particular would be important?

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
That was a wonderful introduction to the world Hickman is building for the mutants. Great art and very telling bits of characterization. Lots of little details to keep in mind over the coming days too.

He's excluded her by his own definition whether he's aware of it or not.

I doubt this hasn't come up in his own internal discussions at Marvel. My impression is that Thor might be better than Storm at specific things related to the area where their powers happen to overlap, but not at absolutely everything.

They aren't totally identical abilities in neither form, function or potential, so I don't see the alleged contradiction at this point. Perhaps a partial one, at most, which allows for posing a valid question, but not something that couldn't be eventually explained if necessary.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I only know the versions of these characters from the Ultimate universe, when they tried to fight Maker's Children of Tomorrow. How were they in 616?
[/QUOTE]

That is an extremely long and difficult question to answer. At one point "Xorn" was magneto, then retconned into being someone else, then killed, then a "twin" Xorn was invented and introduced. It's one of the most confusing and infuriating storylines Xmen has ever done.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
The sinister undertone to everything really has me interested in seeing where things go. I'm guessing that whatever is going on with the pods/medicine is probably Not Good and will be broken before the main books start up.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I doubt this hasn't come up in his own internal discussions at Marvel. My impression is that Thor might be better than Storm at specific things related to the area where their powers happen to overlap, but not at absolutely everything.

They aren't totally identical abilities in neither form, function or potential, so I don't see the alleged contradiction at this point. Perhaps a partial one, at most, which allows for posing a valid question, but not something that couldn't be eventually explained if necessary.

I've been reading long enough to know that "internal discussions" result in all kinds of nonsense and overlooked storylines. See the above Xorn example.

But as for Odinson, his status as "god of thunder" means he controls weather exactly as Storm does. There's no distinction there, other than one of scale. Odinson isn't just "better at some things" he's flat out astronomically better than Storm is with ALL things weather related. Not only is his influence planetary- he just summoned a massive planet wide thunderstorm in War of Realms, has summoned planet sized tornados, massive earth shaking earthquakes that trigger tsunamis, and has covered the entire planet in storms before- Thor's control over storms extends to completely ludicrous shit like controlling storms that consist entirely of *time*, summoning cosmic winds that take him past lightspeed, or making it rain FIRE on completely barren planets. He's summoned storms massive enough to defeat Ego the living planet in a single shot.

Storm is completely incapable of the kind of scale that the Thors are capable of when it comes to storm and weather manipulation.

Last edited:

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Storm is completely incapable of the kind of scale that the Thors are capable of when it comes to storm and weather manipulation.

Mastery and potential are two different kinds of power measurements. I'd rather wait and see first. I am not above acknowledging that there has been a mistake, or just a retcon, provided that those current assumptions remain applicable or unaddressed by the end of this storyline.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Mastery and potential are two different kinds of power measurements. I'd rather wait and see first. I am not above acknowledging that there has been a mistake, provided that those current assumptions remain applicable or unaddressed by the end of this storyline.

I'm pretty comfortable with saying you're never going to see Storm pulling off the kinds of stuff Thor has here, hickman or not. Thor's lightning is powerful enough to shatter planets in half if he wants. Storm...has never been close to this. And putting her on that level would break X-men as a book, since it is far and away past where everyone else is.

edit: Storm also gets a considerable amp from wielding Stormcaster, the asgardian hammer created by Loki. Stormcaster isn't on the level of Mjolnir, and even Mjolnir only grants a level of power that Thor has innately by right of birth (Thor doesn't need Mjolnir to weather control). She's outclassed here.

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Sophie died defeating Quinten Quire. Esme was killed by Xorn. Them being back is important because of the way the Cuckoos work... The more of them linked, the more powerful there telepathy becomes. Also the Cuckoos were host to the Phoenix Force once.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

The Cuckoos used to total five but in Morrisons run two of them died. It's been a very long time since they died and that run is very famous so we're talking about two very famous and public character deaths that haven't been undone in over 15 years. The fact that those two characters are mentions by name and walking around should tip us off that something's not right here.
More recently they "appeared" in a story with X-23 where the living siblings were attempting to resurrect the dead ones in Honey Badgers body.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
So freaking good!

Had it preordered, but for some reason CMX said my payment failed, so I just bought it normally. Not sure what the deal is, but I sent them an email.

Yeah this happened to me too...had to change my credit card for the Pre-order to stick...Dont know why my actual Amazon Prime Visa wouldn't go through with AmazonPay but my Costco card did...I've never used AmazonPay before

Onslaught still sucks ;-p

Hope, walking plot device that she is, IMO shouldn't be one either...she has no innate power of her own, doesn't retain them afaik, and seems was deemed Omega simply to make her a Phoenix host for 5 seconds to...serve the plot.

But also remember that Omega refers to potential and not just current power output...afterall Jean and Bobby were classified as teenagers...in Storm's case, doesn't she generally hold back so as not to wreck the planet's ecosystem? Claremont's Storm certainly makes a case for Omega between her "Rogue Storm" state, and the stunt she did with the Galactic core against the Brood. Lobdell downgraded her significantly, hence her "not actually immune to the weather" issues in X-Men Unlimited #1

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the original Krakoa basically killed the entire original team of X-Men except for Darwin and Vulcan. God, War of Kings was a long time ago.
4Cvhcib.gif

Never would've expected that given how nice the new Krakoa is.
Man, what a great first issue, but I shouldn't be surprised haha. Very dense and true to Hickman form. Lots of info, but at the same time it was a breezy read for me.
My two favorite scenes in the issue was Cyclops talking to the F4 and Magneto's declaration at the end. Asshole Cyclops is best Cyclops, and setting up a potential Franklin plot point is really exciting! Magneto's line, "You have new Gods, now" has to be one of the coolest things he's ever said.
Interested to see how Powers of X change our perspective on this issue.
YO.

I think I agree with you on those favorite scenes.

I love them both and how they're both being assholes full of bravado but going about it in two very different ways. Scott with his low-key-but-not-really remark, while Magneto's just straight up telling them to worship the mutants now. Whew.

Really digging Scott's new suit, by the way. I liked it before but wasn't entirely sold on it yet then I saw it here and instantly loved it. Magneto's is great too and I love the way Larraz makes him look in close up shots. There's just something about the way he draws Erik's helmet... Like, it's a perfect fit but at the same time it looks so large and powerful.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this happened to me too...had to change my credit card for the Pre-order to stick...Dont know why my actual Amazon Prime Visa wouldn't go through with AmazonPay but my Costco card did...I've never used AmazonPay before

Onslaught still sucks ;-p

Hope, walking plot device that she is, IMO shouldn't be one either...she has no innate power of her own, doesn't retain them afaik, and seems was deemed Omega simply to make her a Phoenix host for 5 seconds to...serve the plot.

But also remember that Omega refers to potential and not just current power output...afterall Jean and Bobby were classified as teenagers...in Storm's case, doesn't she generally hold back so as not to wreck the planet's ecosystem? Claremont's Storm certainly makes a case for Omega between her "Rogue Storm" state, and the stunt she did with the Galactic core against the Brood. Lobdell downgraded her significantly, hence her "not actually immune to the weather" issues in X-Men Unlimited #1
Did they honor the pre-order price?

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Power mimic. So yes. Gideon is a character with the EXACT same powers as hope, with the caveat that he is innately able to copy powers to their maximum potential AND is immortal on top of that.

Predates her by a few decades. He's an external (an immortal mutant) as Candra and Selene are.

What's the difference between Hope's power and Rogue's

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Hope can use the powers of any Mutants she's around, so for example she's surrounded by the original five. She doesn't need to touch them but she'll be able to transform into organic ice and shoot optic blasts and read minds all at the same time. No harm done whatsoever to those she's copying abilities from.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

At the moment, not a lot.

Hope Summers will copy the powers of anyone that happens to be within a certain distance from her. There are other one-off powers she's demonstrated here and there (and never again) but the Omega Level description Hickman has tagged her with seems to indicate it's her power mimicry that's Omega Level here.

Rogue's abilities were recently upgraded to do...pretty much the same thing. Rogue's power are now an Area of Effect ability that will absorb and copy the powers and lifeforce of anyone that happens to be in her vicinity. This includes being able to read their minds like a telepath, and even those that were previously immune to her powers before (like Mojo) get absolutely wrecked by it now. How well she's able to control it depends on her mental state. At her maximum potential (we saw this during uncanny avengers) there wasn't a limit to the amount of powers she could absorb and stack on top of each other- she had every hero's powers on the planet and combined them. Other versions of Rogue have indicated that she should be able to recall any powers she's absorbed at least once.

There's not a good reason why one would be OL and not the other, at present.

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
I've used to being 6 months behind Marvel comics thanks to my Unlimited subscription, but couldn't possibly wait for the return of Hickman. And I was not disappointed. This guy is a better master of tone than almost anyone else in the business, I don't really know how he does it.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017

Hope Summers will copy the powers of anyone that happens to be within a certain distance from her. There are other one-off powers she's demonstrated here and there (and never again) but the Omega Level description Hickman has tagged her with seems to indicate it's her power mimicry that's Omega Level here.

Rogue's abilities were recently upgraded to do...pretty much the same thing. Rogue's power are now an Area of Effect ability that will absorb and copy the powers and lifeforce of anyone that happens to be in her vicinity. This includes being able to read their minds like a telepath, and even those that were previously immune to her powers before (like Mojo) get absolutely wrecked by it now. How well she's able to control it depends on her mental state. At her maximum potential (we saw this during uncanny avengers) there wasn't a limit to the amount of powers she could absorb and stack on top of each other- she had every hero's powers on the planet and combined them. Other versions of Rogue have indicated that she should be able to recall any powers she's absorbed at least once.

Yeah that's what i was wondering, cause like you said Rogue doesn't need to touch anyone anymore. I wonder if they are going to downgrade her again.

Hope can use the powers of any Mutants she's around, so for example she's surrounded by the original five. She doesn't need to touch them but she'll be able to transform into organic ice and shoot optic blasts and read minds all at the same time. No harm done whatsoever to those she's copying abilities from.

I believe Rogue can do that now. Can't remember if it's painless or not for those she takes the powers from.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
The Cuckoos used to total five but in Morrisons run two of them died. It's been a very long time since they died and that run is very famous so we're talking about two very famous and public character deaths that haven't been undone in over 15 years. The fact that those two characters are mentions by name and walking around should tip us off that something's not right here.
More recently they "appeared" in a story with X-23 where the living siblings were attempting to resurrect the dead ones in Honey Badgers body.

I think Rosenberg gave away the game
that these revivals are legitimate by killing so many characters. The big question is if something nefarious is being done to cause them to happen.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Did they honor the pre-order price?

Not sure, I only pre-ordered like a few hours before release...I paid $5.99

Oh, and forgot to mention Vulcan...that's a cheat too. His power was greatly boosted by inadvertently absorbing massive mutant energy releases by Wanda's "No more mutants" spell. Even worse they tried to call him "Beyond Omega Level" (like Matthew Malloy later on)...because apparently unlimited is not unlimited enough

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I believe Rogue can do that now. Can't remember if it's painless or not for those she takes the powers from.

it absolutely isn't. not only is it still painful, it's lethal enough to turn someone to dust and bones in a couple of seconds if she's not careful about it.

Not sure, I only pre-ordered like a few hours before release...I paid $5.99

Oh, and forgot to mention Vulcan...that's a cheat too. His power was greatly boosted by inadvertently absorbing massive mutant energy releases by Wanda's "No more mutants" spell. Even worse they tried to call him "Beyond Omega Level" (like Matthew Malloy later on)...because apparently unlimited is not unlimited enough

Amusingly enough, Nate Grey was tagged with the "Beyond Omega Level" descriptor as recently as Age of X-man a couple of months ago. Yet, inexplicably missing from the list.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This was a very good issue, full of mysteries to unlock.

Stuff I really liked:
The giant Sentinel head on Sol's Hammer was breathtaking.
Xorn brothers and the Cuckoos are back.
There is a lot from the Morrison era, but I feel that Carey's run will be touched as well (Karima makes this almost a lock).
Magneto was awesome on this issue.
Xavier still has his dream of "peaceful coexistence" but his vision of a mutant culture is so alien to us, that it comes as an imposition. Very interesting take on Xavier.
The Omega Mutant clarification.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This was a very good issue, full of mysteries to unlock.

Stuff I really liked:
The giant Sentinel head on Sol's Hammer was breathtaking.
Xorn brothers and the Cuckoos are back.
There is a lot from the Morrison era, but I feel that Carey's run will be touched as well (Karima makes this almost a lock).
Magneto was awesome on this issue.
Xavier still has his dream of "peaceful coexistence" but his vision of a mutant culture is so alien to us, that it comes as an imposition. Very interesting take on Xavier.
The Omega Mutant clarification.
Not just a Sentinel but a Master Mold. Far away from Earth where mutants can get to it. Reminder that this stations purpose was to destroy other planets.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I haven't read an X book in a loooong time and it's good to be back. I think even more so than the writing, I love the unified aesethic they're working with here. The blend of tech and nature and ancient magic all comes together really nicely

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to spend much time on the Omega level discussion, because while interesting it's not remotely the best part of the issue nor the one that spoke to me the most by any means, but my gut feeling is that Hickman either plans to classify arguably similar powers into technically distinct categories, which could be emphasized through a bunch of wild and crazy new feats, or is eventually going to subvert the whole system because as far as we know the list is only an in-universe document and not necessarily one drafted with perfect information.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're wondering what the pages at the end of the issue say:

NEXT :ITS NOT A DREAM IF ITS REAL

THEN : THE CURIOUS CASE OF MOIRA X

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Sound like Poor Peopl's Mimics

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Amusingly enough, Nate Grey was tagged with the "Beyond Omega Level" descriptor as recently as Age of X-man a couple of months ago. Yet, inexplicably missing from the list.

I hope it's just for tidiness sake...all of the Grey progeny/clones should be Omega, but if they're not in the current story, maybe it's just easier to say Jean, rather than Jean "and Rachel, Nate, Cable, Kid Cable, Stryfe, and Madelyne"

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to spend much time on the Omega level discussion, because while interesting it's not remotely the best part of the issue nor the one that spoke to me the most by any means, but my gut feeling is that Hickman either plans to classify arguably similar powers into technically distinct categories, which could be emphasized through a bunch of wild and crazy new feats, or is eventually going to subvert the whole system because as far as we know the list is only an in-universe document and not necessarily one drafted with perfect information.

Tbh, the Omega debate is doubly pointless in this instance because Hickman isn't going to go out of his way to comment on it or the books in general and who knows if or when a press person will get the chance to ask.

Birbo

Oct 25, 2017
Interested in reading this run, but honestly haven't read any X-men since Onslaught. Are there other storylines I need to read first, or can I just jump in here?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I hope it's just for tidiness sake...all of the Grey progeny/clones should be Omega, but if they're not in the current story, maybe it's just easier to say Jean, rather than Jean "and Rachel, Nate, Cable, Kid Cable, Stryfe, and Madelyne"

Jean is demonstrably a better telepath than Rachel is, at least after the whole O5 bit showed that Xavier had been telepathically stunting her growth, along with a reluctance to push limits because of the phoenix force. She was pulling off some pretty complex stuff in Xmen: Red.

Cable and Kid Cable no one is really sure where they are, because the T/O virus has usually inhibited their abilities.
No excuse for Nate Grey being missing, other than the whole "he's on another plane of existence right now" bit.
Stryfe has been dead forever, outside of time travel stuff.
Madelyne has also been dead for a long time, and the Battleworld Goblyn Queen variant of her was also killed off in Xmen: Blue.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I'm pretty sure Hickman just threw away the old Omega level meaning and just went with "Fuck dem powerlevels"

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Interested in reading this run, but honestly haven't read any X-men since Onslaught. Are there other storylines I need to read first, or can I just jump in here?

You can just jump in. It's not related to the last run at all. There is a new status quo, but it's following a timeskip which will be covered in this series itself (well, by "this series" I mean Hickman's run, so both Power of X and House of X).

Maybe she will be portrayed as having unlimited power over the weather in this run. Although I agree it doesn't fit historically.

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I haven't read an X book in a loooong time and it's good to be back. I think even more so than the writing, I love the unified aesethic they're working with here. The blend of tech and nature and ancient magic all comes together really nicely

You can see how much love and effort went into creating a consistent look & vibe.

I'm enamored with it.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I'm pretty sure Hickman just threw away the old Omega level meaning and just went with "Fuck dem powerlevels"

Seems that way. "Dead" doesn't appear to mean much as a status right now- apparently anyone is fair game to pop up here.

That being said there's some fairly suspicious absences that make the OM list kinda questionable.

1.) Professor X, for reasons already mentioned. Both the Onslaught Saga and AXIS would put him over both Jean AND Quire here.
2.) Gabriel Shepherd
3.) Maddie (from the Deadpool vs. OML series. confirmed as omega level)
4.) Mikhail Rasputin (never confirmed, but...come ON)
5.) Eva Bell (confirmed as "near omega level" by the 2099 Xmen before spending 7 years mastering her powers in the future)
6.) Any of the Externals, such as Gideon or Candra
7.) Apocalypse (this one is complicated, but try to find an ability Apocalypse does not have)
8.) James Jaspers
9.) Nate Summers or any of his clones or temporal offshoots

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Yeah that's what i was wondering, cause like you said Rogue doesn't need to touch anyone anymore. I wonder if they are going to downgrade her again.

It's not painless. She still drains away their energy when she does it