• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Assuming that Xavier didn't "resurrect" his true body before HoXPoX started he's been killed and resurrected in X-Force, it's his real body.

Lot of people don't understand the Fantomex thing.

Xavier didn't just hijack Fantomex's body and start walking around with it, he used it as raw material to rebuild something entirely new.

He flat out says so when Wolverine stabs him, assuming he can tank the hit because Fantomex has a healing factor. X makes it clear that he doesn't have a healing factor because that's not Fantomex's body.

Betsy did the same thing after taking over the body of Sapphire Styx during Hunt for Wolverine. Telepathically rebuilt it into her original body. Guess where she learned that trick from?

But yeah, Xavier got shot to death in X force and resurrected, so that's 100% him regardless.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

Xavier didn't just hijack Fantomex's body and start walking around with it, he used it as raw material to rebuild something entirely new.

He flat out says so when Wolverine stabs him, assuming he can tank the hit because Fantomex has a healing factor. X makes it clear that he doesn't have a healing factor because that's not Fantomex's body.

Betsy did the same thing after taking over the body of Sapphire Styx during Hunt for Wolverine.
Telepathically rebuilt it into her original body. Guess where she learned that trick from?

But yeah, Xavier got shot to death in X force and resurrected, so that's 100% him regardless.
Now that you mention it, it's been bothering me that Kwannon has been written in Fallen Angels as being trapped in her own body while Betsy ran around in it, and not as if Kwannon wasn't in Betsy's original body the entire time.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Now that you mention it, it's been bothering me that Kwannon has been written in Fallen Angels as being trapped in her own body while Betsy ran around in it, and not as if Kwannon wasn't in Betsy's original body the entire time.

That particular storyline gives me migraines just thinking about it.

Edit: also infuriating was Kwannon seemingly not knowing how to speak any English during Rosenberg's run

You're absolutely correct, of course.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Betsy did the same thing after taking over the body of Sapphire Styx during Hunt for Wolverine. Telepathically rebuilt it into her original body. Guess where she learned that trick from?

Yes, Madelyne Pryor did the same thing way back in Brian Wood's X-Men run. She came back in a young Colombian woman's body and reworked it to match her own.

The only difference I noticed with FantomeXavier was he had decided to keep his hair and a younger form. Not now though I guess, back to old and bald.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
That particular storyline gives me migraines just thinking about it.

Edit: also infuriating was Kwannon seemingly not knowing how to speak any English during Rosenberg's run

You're absolutely correct, of course.
Only good thing about Riosenberg's run, besides Wolverine going back to the brown and yellow, was that Juggernaut joined the team.

Lasted three seconds and he was jobbed away, but I miss anti-hero Juggernaut on the X-Men.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed Juggernaut as Hope's ride. I wonder if Krakoa will help him out given the state the X-Men left him in?

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Considering what's developed with Moira and Sinister, I'm still expecting Juggy to be revealed as a Mutant. Seems like something that had to have been discussed at some point leading up to HoXPoX.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
She came back in a young Colombian woman's body and reworked it to match her own.
Are you telling me the one Colombian character in X-Men got her body hijacked? (At least that I've ever heard of.) Was this just some random no-name character?

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Kitty is the obvious suspect, but I'm still hoping that it's a swerve and that there is something else going on behind her inability to access the gates.

I imagine that if she was outed as an imposter, Wolverine/Storm/Colossus would probably be paying a visit to anyone who spoke out against her involvement with Krakoa.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Are you telling me the one Colombian character in X-Men got her body hijacked? (At least that I've ever heard of.) Was this just some random no-name character?
One off. If I'm remembering correctly, it was the Sisterhood of Mutants arc where she was hella dominatrixy and even had that weird BDSM mask.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. Her name was Ana Cortes and she was an heiress who'd been using tech implants to become basically Lady Deathstrike. Basically she commited suicide and Arkea's Sisterhood spliced Jean's DNA into her freshly dead body and used magic to revive Madelyn in it. She should still be around somewhere too.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Kitty is the obvious suspect, but I'm still hoping that it's a swerve and that there is something else going on behind her inability to access the gates.
I continue to hope that it's because this Krakoa is, either in whole or in part. the Krakoa that attended the Jean Grey school and he's just being a little petty to an old teacher he didn't like.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
I continue to hope that it's because this Krakoa is, either in whole or in part. the Krakoa that attended the Jean Grey school and he's just being a little petty to an old teacher he didn't like.

I think Doug is a Phalanx mole, who has already infected Krakoa. As Doug's oldest friend, Kitty would be the first to notice something's not right with him - so he's trying to limit her access to the island.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
April's issue of Giant Size X-Men announced:

MTU3OTAyMzk3Nw==

GIANT–SIZE X–MEN: NIGHTCRAWLER #1

Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN

Art and Cover by ALAN DAVIS

HICKMAN AND DAVIS HAUNT THE XAVIER SCHOOL!

Superstar writer Jonathan Hickman teams with legendary artist Alan Davis (X–MEN, EXCALIBUR, AVENGERS) for an eerie tale of adventure! When the X–Men lose contact with the Greymalkin Habitat, it falls to Nightcrawler to lead a mission into the unknown!

Also, Deadpool stopping by Krakoa:

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNzMvMzY2L29yaWdpbmFsL0RQT09MMjAxOTAwNl9Db3YuanBnPzE1NzkwMjM5Njk=

DEADPOOL #6

Written by KELLY THOMPSON

Art by KEVIN LIBRANDA

Cover by GREG LAND

DEADPOOL INVADES THE X-MEN!

When the X-Men won't return Deadpool's calls for a Krakoa portal on Monster Island, Wade decides to drop by for a visit. Apparently, the new X-Men home isn't taking visitors. RUDE. It's an entire nation of biological weapons and mutant warriors versus a merc with a mouth. GAME ON!

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I love this X-Men resurgence and it's going to get better once they join the MCU
I'll be honest... I was HYPED for HoX/PoX, thought they were amazing, and was really looking forward to this new age of X-books. But a couple of months in and... I think I'm done. Whatever Hickman's overarching plot is, I don't think I'll bother to stick about and find out on a month-by-month basis. All of the same shit that put me off X-books twenty-five odd years ago is still there: too many books, not enough quality control, far too many shit characters than I personally couldn't give a fuck about or actively dislike, Marvel's insistence on TOTAL MARKET SATURATION. Ugh.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
All of the same shit that put me off X-books twenty-five odd years ago is still there: too many books, not enough quality control, far too many shit characters than I personally couldn't give a fuck about or actively dislike, Marvel's insistence on TOTAL MARKET SATURATION. Ugh.

I can agree that market saturation isn't my personal preference either, which is why I am not reading every single new book right now, but that's also partially a structural necessity and a wise business/creative move given the sheer size and scope of the material itself.

The X-Men have so many characters precisely because of the property's long history, leading to fans acquiring their own favorites. Polarizing and controversial figures included. You might easily dislike characters that someone else loves and vice versa.

Past writers would have just ignored or killed off half of the mutant race to clean house, but Hickman (so far) sees that's simply abandoning one of the line's strengths. You can, in fact, design and create many different books for different audiences instead. Perhaps you won't like everything, but something will almost certainly work for you.

Quality is also subjective. Fallen Angels gets a lot of flak, more than any single other book, but I've seen a few people say they like it elsewhere. Nonetheless, I think the average quality of the line is higher right now than in the recent past. Arguably more than during the mid-1990s too, which was when the mutant books were ruling over the industry but had no real direction, unlike this current renewal, where there is a real plan tying it all together beyond just the next crossover.

It doesn't mean you need to stick around, mind you. Just emphasizing that things are similar yet different.

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest... I was HYPED for HoX/PoX, thought they were amazing, and was really looking forward to this new age of X-books. But a couple of months in and... I think I'm done. Whatever Hickman's overarching plot is, I don't think I'll bother to stick about and find out on a month-by-month basis. All of the same shit that put me off X-books twenty-five odd years ago is still there: too many books, not enough quality control, far too many shit characters than I personally couldn't give a fuck about or actively dislike, Marvel's insistence on TOTAL MARKET SATURATION. Ugh.
giphy.gif

(I agree with the market saturation)

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Sad thing is I liked Fallen Angel for the first 2 issues. It was after that, that I felt the writer didn't know anything about any of the characters he was writing for.

Am_I_Evil

Oct 27, 2017
am I going crazy or no books today (despite what the chart said at the end of last weeks)? With FA coming out a week early and X-Men apparently delayed to the 29th?

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Children of the Atom announced:

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNzMvNjg4L29yaWdpbmFsL0NoaWxkcmVuX29mX3RoZV9BdG9tXzEuanBnPzE1NzkyODE4Mzc=

Roster is Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Angel, Nightcrawler and Gambit.

Coming in April. No word on premise or creators.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Will the robot revolution led by Machine Man and Synth Tony Stark affect Krakoa? Wolverine's robot double, Albert was among the group of robotic rebels. It will be interesting to see Albert confronting Wolverine.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea of current X-Men training up young mutants with similar powers. Not so big on sidekicks in the traditional sense for the kind of thing currently happening in X-Books. And I hope the kids' powers aren't carbon copies so that maybe they get to have several mentors for different aspects of their abilities.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
My guess is that the sidekicks are in reality 1st generation Chimera mutants from Sinister. After all, he was talking about doppleganger loopholes...

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
caught up on X Books in the post holiday busy season

honestly, i'm all for more books. having a bunch of weekly entries in this crazy line is so good.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
...did we ever get an answer on why kurt has that sweet claymore?
Dont get me wrong, i love it, it just seems so out of nowhere.