• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
Vulcan's spiteful cooking display just further's my theory that he will become one of the Four Sous Chefs of the Apocalypse.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Something I thought was interesting that may have flown under the radar here: Cullen Bunn did an interview on his Xmen runs, and gave some feedback on things he wanted to do.

AiPT!: What were some of the things the fans were into that surprised you?

Bunn: There were a few things I didn't think people would be really into–a super-violent Magneto. I didn't think people would be into a hinted romance between Sabretooth and Monet and they were. I mean, I still get questions about that all the time. And there were some things like Emma Frost, for instance, appeared in sort of a villainous role at some points in my book, and I really got a lot of heat for that, even though I felt like I had to go with what was established. I wasn't going to turn her into a hero again after IVX, so I felt like I had to follow what was set up. But boy, people really don't like Emma Frost as a villain, and here's the thing. I love Emma Frost, but I was introduced to her as a villain, and I followed her as a villain for all those years, so I don't like thinking about her as a hero too much, even though in X-Men Blue she basically takes that heroic role again, or an anti-hero role, but I still like thinking of her as a villain.

This probably answers why we never saw the absolutely ludicrous Villainous Emma that was set up by IvX. Fans weren't happy with that at ALL.

AiPT!: You covered a lot of ground over 36 issues and one annual of X-Men Blue. But were there any stories or ideas you wanted to explore and weren't able to get to? The fact that both Magneto and Jimmy Hudson had connections to versions of Magda Lensherr comes to mind.

Bunn: Oh, I wanted to. There were so many things. In one of the last last issues of X-Men Blue, there are all these flashes to future hints–all that stuff is hinted as stuff on a list I wanted to do. But there were so many things I wanted to do–the Jimmy Hudson stuff–there were seeds planted way back in Ultimate Wolverinethat was like, OK, I can use that and explore that in this book with Magneto now, so I would have loved to have that opportunity.

AiPT!: So you know how Maggott went on to become one of Apocalypse's Four Horsemen?

Had Bunn been allowed to continue with his ideas, we would have gotten "Maggot: horseman of Apocalypse."

and perhaps the most interesting thing:

AiPT!: Well, what I always enjoyed about X-Men Blue was how much story you packed into each issue. There were a lot of subplots running through that series.

Bunn: You know, it was a weird project. All of those projects were weird, especially Uncanny and Blue, because we had kind of been given marching orders that we couldn't change anything with the X-Men. I mean, we were very limited with where we could go with the story because the plans for House of X–those were already in play when I first started writing Uncanny X-Men. We knew. It was like the worst-kept secret at Marvel. Like, "We got another plan." Yeah, it's Jonathan Hickman–everybody knows it! But that was in place when I took over Uncanny X-Men. To some degree, it was like placeholder stuff.

Bunn makes it clear that there were things he was Not Allowed To Do because Marvel had already decided they were doing Big Things with the X-men by the time he was writing Uncanny. Those Big Things turned out to be House of X.

Bunn wrote Uncanny vol. 4 #1 which hit stands in January of 2016, and he was writing it (obviously) months prior- so House of X was likely in the planning stages far longer than most of us assumed, if Bunn is being truthful here.

Also:

Bunn: Well, I wanted to expand the team beyond the original five and I felt like in order to keep the right theme for the team, I needed characters who were out of place–who weren't our versions of the characters. So that's why Jimmy was an alternate Wolverine and Bloodstorm was an alternate Storm–not to mention Bloodstorm was a character I really like. So I wanted to put her in the book, and it's interesting you say Exiles, because my intent was to end the series with them going back into the timestream. The original pitch, which was on the board for awhile, was it would then turn into a book called The Exiles and it would be that team doing what the Exiles used to do–lost in a reality stream. But alas, best laid plans.

The original pitch for Xmen: Blue was to eventually turn it into Exiles, which is why Jimmy Hudson and Bloodstorm made it into the book.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Is there a handy, well, anything that lists all the issue dates for Dawn of X, the Wikipedia page lists the release date of the first issues but nothing else and I find the comixology store to be a bit cumbersome other than if I just auto-sub to the series.

Marvel Jan solicits are out this week, but here's what we have so far; basically everything staggers at launch and everything double-ships in Dec where all the #4 issues land on the same date (12/18). Next confirmed book is Wolverine in Feb.

10/16
X-Men #1

10/23
Marauders #1

10/30
Excalibur #!

11/6
New Mutants #1
X-Force #1

11/13
Fallen Angels #1
X-Men #2

11/20
Excalibur #2
Marauders #2

11/27
Fallen Angels #2
New Mutants #2
X-Force #2

12/4
Excalibur #3
Marauders #3
X-Men #3

12/11
Fallen Angels #3
New Mutants #3
X-Force #3

12/18
Excalibur #4
Fallen Angels #4
Marauders #4
New Mutants #4
X-Force #4
X-Men #4

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Marvel Jan solicits are out this week, but here's what we have so far; basically everything staggers at launch and everything double-ships in Dec where all the #4 issues land on the same date (12/18). Next confirmed book is Wolverine in Feb.

10/16
X-Men #1

10/23
Marauders #1

10/30
Excalibur #!

11/6
New Mutants #1
X-Force #1

11/13
Fallen Angels #1
X-Men #2

11/20
Excalibur #2
Marauders #2

11/27
Fallen Angels #2
New Mutants #2
X-Force #2

12/4
Excalibur #3
Marauders #3
X-Men #3

12/11
Fallen Angels #3
New Mutants #3
X-Force #3

12/18
Excalibur #4
Fallen Angels #4
Marauders #4
New Mutants #4
X-Force #4
X-Men #4

lmao @ my wallet

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

10/16
X-Men #1

10/23
Marauders #1

10/30
Excalibur #!

11/6
New Mutants #1
X-Force #1

11/13
Fallen Angels #1
X-Men #2

11/20
Excalibur #2
Marauders #2

11/27
Fallen Angels #2
New Mutants #2
X-Force #2

12/4
Excalibur #3
Marauders #3
X-Men #3

12/11
Fallen Angels #3
New Mutants #3
X-Force #3

12/18
Excalibur #4
Fallen Angels #4
Marauders #4
New Mutants #4
X-Force #4
X-Men #4
12/18 sounds absolutely bananas

Oct 29, 2017

10/16
X-Men #1

10/23
Marauders #1

10/30
Excalibur #!

11/6
New Mutants #1
X-Force #1

11/13
Fallen Angels #1
X-Men #2

11/20
Excalibur #2
Marauders #2

11/27
Fallen Angels #2
New Mutants #2
X-Force #2

12/4
Excalibur #3
Marauders #3
X-Men #3

12/11
Fallen Angels #3
New Mutants #3
X-Force #3

12/18
Excalibur #4
Fallen Angels #4
Marauders #4
New Mutants #4
X-Force #4
X-Men #4
You're a beautiful human being. Thank you for this.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Claremont is still pretty decent at writing one shots or mini-series these days. But his post-1991 attempts to write ongoing X-Men titles in longer runs have often been uneven or simply disappointing.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I thought X-Treme X-Men was pretty solidly good at the time. It was a better compliment to Morrison's New X-Men than whatever Casey and Austen were doing on Uncanny.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
mE: "Sorry kids, but Christmas can't happen this year, as the X-Men decided to murder me financially on December 18th. You'll just have to play with those second-hand UltraForce toys for another year."

My children: "WE HATE YOU, HICKMAN!"

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Marauders was decent. I like the premise, feels like it has a lot of potential for fun standalone stories, but it also setup a few future threads. I liked how Kitty was written, everyone else didn't get much time. Seems like a fairly arbitrary jumble of characters at this point, but I'll give it a bunch of issues to see where they all go.

kazamatsuri

Behind the Scenes at Epic
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I liked the tone of Marauders a lot, and it feels like it could be ripe for a bunch of extremely cool stories. The exchange between Bobby and Pyro was actually really enlightening...explained a little bit about what is going on and how people are reacting to the resurrections. Looking forward to reading more.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Marauders thoughts!

- I will never get used to "Kate Pryde".
- Kitty Kate being unable to use the portals adds a fantastic dynamic to it. There's no "we can just escape through the portals if it gets tough" for this team - they have to commit to whatever they're doing.
- Emma's writing was delightful. "Do it for the wardrobe. You will ravish in red." Perfect. More Emma, please.
- Kitty Kate is badass af. I was expecting her Omega team to lay the smackdowns, but this was really the Pryde Show and it was magnificent.
- In general, I love the tone. HoX and PoX were very serious stories, so it's refreshing to have a series that can carry heavy stories while also being a seafaring romp.
- Marvel should probably consider getting a German speaker on board, before Nightcrawler misgenders anyone else.

Oct 25, 2017
Marauders thoughts!

- I will never get used to "Kate Pryde".
- Kitty Kate being unable to use the portals adds a fantastic dynamic to it. There's no "we can just escape through the portals if it gets tough" for this team - they have to commit to whatever they're doing.
- Emma's writing was delightful. "Do it for the wardrobe. You will ravish in red." Perfect. More Emma, please.
- Kitty Kate is badass af. I was expecting her Omega team to lay the smackdowns, but this was really the Pryde Show and it was magnificent.
- In general, I love the tone. HoX and PoX were very serious stories, so it's refreshing to have a series that can carry heavy stories while also being a seafaring romp.
- Marvel should probably consider getting a German speaker on board, before Nightcrawler misgenders anyone else.

I agree with this. I flew through this first issue because it was just so fun.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Hmm, I almost want to say that Kitty not being able to use the portals was setup by someone inside the council in order to get her to play ball running the Hellfire ship.

I'm not sure how that would work though.

My hope is that it's something much more interesting than that.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Pyros introduction to this series being "lol yeah i was ressurected but things are super weird here so i was gonna steal this boat but fell asleep on it instead sure ill stick around" and everyone just rolling with it is amazing.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Marauders was a lot of fun! Expecting great things from Duggan, I've enjoyed his books a lot so far. Highly appreciated the focus on Kitty for this first issue, especially that action sequence in Russia. That was badass. Her unique circumstance of being unable to go through the gates worried me at first because I feared they'd retcon her into not being a Mutant, lol. It's interesting though! I like that it's kind of forced her into accepting the offer while at the same time also making perfect sense for her as a person and because of Krakoa's needs. It's a pretty damn cool situation. Excited to see more of Emma and Bobby as they are, as well as Kitty, among my favorite X-Men characters. This is the first time I'm reading Pyro and I like him a lot already! Bishop and Storm are cool too, so really, everything about this book's premise is great.

I don't know if I'll ever like "Kate." Honestly, I'd prefer they call her Katherine instead. It's longer, I know, and it makes more sense to use a nickname among colleagues and friends but... ehh. Don't like the sound of it. Guess I just need to get used to it.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
That was a wonderful issue, enjoyed the hell out of it.

Emma, Bobby and KITTY all have great voices in this. You can already feel the love for these characters.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
$4.99

It is a #1 after all.

Shockingly, not all of Marvoo's #1s have been $5 lately, but I've been really happy with a lot of the $5 and $6 books they've been releasing (even the $8 or $10 books), because it really feels like the content is there. Some of them have filler back-ups, which is a little irritating, but I definitely feel like I got my money's worth on all the Hickman books so far, and I'm happy to shell out $6 for Immortal Hulk 25.

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
Really enjoyed this book, I think Pyro is going to be a fun character. Hope they can keep this up with all the Dawn of X books

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Echoing the sentiment that Marauders is such a fun book. Kitty is a great anchor and a delight, from the drunken antics to the brutal fight with the Russians.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Marauders was pretty good. Sucks that Kitty can't go through the gates(Not calling her Kate) Wonder how long that'll go on for. Kitty wrecking those guys at the end was awesome. So far so good, seems to be the lighthearted book of the Dawn of X line, relatively speaking

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I liked the tone of Marauders a lot, and it feels like it could be ripe for a bunch of extremely cool stories. The exchange between Bobby and Pyro was actually really enlightening...explained a little bit about what is going on and how people are reacting to the resurrections. Looking forward to reading more.

The bobby/pyro exchange was amusing particularly because Bobby was *sleeping with* Pyro-2 and didn't realize that was the *old* one until he heard the accent

Marauders was pretty good. Sucks that Kitty can't go through the gates(Not calling her Kate) Wonder how long that'll go on for. Kitty wrecking those guys at the end was awesome. So far so good, seems to be the lighthearted book of the Dawn of X line, relatively speaking

you know, I had forgotten about this bit of business:

One of Marvel's merry mutants isn't actually a mutant. According to what Stark saw, someone on the X-Men had been genetically modified to appear to be mutant, but actually is not. Stark didn't see who it was and there's no way to know whether this is someone masquerading as an actual X-Man or if one of the X-Men has been a plant from the moment they joined the team.

What if the "sleeper agent" modified to appear as if they were a mutant but aren't is Pryde?

This came up in "Hunt for Wolverine." In case you're saying "well that was forever ago" this was also the storyline where a pack of heroes went hunting for what they thought was the remains of wolverine's body, but instead happened on the gigantic cache of DNA that Sinster had on everyone alive- including a digital DNA database of all mutants kept separately.

As we're all aware, the digital mutant Database is the one currently being used by Xavier on Krakoa.

Last edited:

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, there are two pyros? What happened with the romance between the two?

Did I miss an issue somewhere?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Wait, there are two pyros? What happened with the romance between the two?

Did I miss an issue somewhere?

Pyro 2 is Simon Lasker. Introduced in Xmen Gold and ended up sleeping with Bobby during that series.
Similar outfit and powers to Pyro 1 (St. John Allerdyce) but lasker can generate his own flames while Allerdyce can't.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Jonathan Hickman great and all

But it's nice to hear characters sound a lot more human (heh)

Marauders is great

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

lol this was great, and yeah I'll still call her kitty lol she's one of my favorite X-men I hope they don't retcon her from being a mutant, that would really suck.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
unknown.png

lol this was great, and yeah I'll still call her kitty lol she's one of my favorite X-men I hope they don't retcon her from being a mutant, that would really suck.

Pryde being literally the only mutant on earth (and only X-man on the roster) not able to use the gates for reasons no one can figure out seems to be pretty damning. I don't think that plot thread from Hunt for Wolverine was random at all.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Pyro 2 is Simon Lasker. Introduced in Xmen Gold and ended up sleeping with Bobby during that series.
Similar outfit and powers to Pyro 1 (St. John Allerdyce) but lasker can generate his own flames while Allerdyce can't.

LOL I didn't even catch on that it was another Pyro... but I flipped through XMen Gold so that probably explains it.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
LOL I didn't even catch on that it was another Pyro... but I flipped through XMen Gold so that probably explains it.

confusingly, Allerdyce wasn't dead. He died of the legacy virus a looooong time ago but was resurrected by stuff Selene did and remained alive after Necrosha. Allerdyce showed up again during Rosenberg's Uncanny and was knocked out but not killed by Cyclops. He wasn't dead, no need to resurrect him.

Marauders seems to be ignoring everything that happened after Allerdyce died of the legacy virus.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I kind of don't like that Kitty was second choice. I feel like Emma would have chosen Kitty. Like I didn't need an explanation as to why. Going back to Astonishing, this was a great continuation of their mutual story.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Marauders #1 has been my personal favorite read during this whole relaunch so far. And that isn't to say that Hickman has done anywhere near a bad job -- in fact I have loved every little bit of this, but Marauders' tone and pace in #1 was absolutely right up my alley.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

What if the "sleeper agent" modified to appear as if they were a mutant but aren't is Pryde?

This came up in "Hunt for Wolverine." In case you're saying "well that was forever ago" this was also the storyline where a pack of heroes went hunting for what they thought was the remains of wolverine's body, but instead happened on the gigantic cache of DNA that Sinster had on everyone alive- including a digital DNA database of all mutants kept separately.

As we're all aware, the digital mutant Database is the one currently being used by Xavier on Krakoa.

Isn't it possible that plot was dropped when the all the other X-Men series was scrapped?