• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So what Dawn of X books are people picking up?

I am going to definitely go with the two Hickman books and I decided to add Excalibur to the rotation. I'm not sure if I need anything else yet.

I'm going to grab an issue or two of each. I'm most excited about X-Men, Marauders and X-Force. I'm less excited about Excalibur, but I used to love Rogue and Apocalypse as a good guy could be novel. I'm finding it difficult to care about Fallen Angels or New Mutants, but I'm going to give both of them a shot before I dismiss them entirely.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I very rarely actually ever look at floppies anymore these days, instead I'm building a sizable hardcover collection. So going back to floppies for this is pretty damn special.

Me too. Send me a pic of your collection. I posted mine in the sept comics thread but I can sent you a pic.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
New Mutants for sure, the rest I may wait for digital trades.

I enjoyed the story, I'd rather wait and see what titles appeal to me after the arcs have started.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah for now I'll be checking out all of the Dawn of X books. originally was just gonna go Hickman + Duggan but they all sound interesting. I like the variety they've got going.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
....I'm totally lost on this whole Psylocke in another body thing.

It's a little complicated but from memory:

Psylocke had been in an asian body that was not hers for quite some time now for reasons that are way too tiresome to get into right now.
During one of the Hunt for Wolverine miniseries, Psylocke was "killed" by a woman that drains the life force of others into herself and the asian body appears to be lifeless. Psylocke retains her mind within the body of the woman who killed her despite being energy drained, and after some plot things "defeats" this woman and uses her residual energy to reconstruct a body that's identical to her original non-asian one. This is the Betsy Braddock that appears in Excalibur and will take up the role of Captain Britain.

So...what happened to the asian body? It eventually awakes on its own, with the mind of the woman who originally owned it named Kwannon. Kwannon retains some of psylocke's powers, roughly appearing to be about the power level Psylocke was during Lee's 90s Xmen reboot (The current Betsy Braddock is far, FAR more powerful than this). THIS is the Psylocke that is appearing in Fallen Angels.

Last edited:

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a little complicated but from memory:

Psylocke had been in an asian body that was not hers for quite some time now for reasons that are way too tiresome to get into right now.
During one of the Hunt for Wolverine miniseries, Psylocke was "killed" by a woman that drains the life force of others into herself and the asian body appears to be lifeless. Psylocke retains her mind within the body of the woman who killed her despite being energy drained, and after some plot things "defeats" this woman and uses her residual energy to reconstruct a body that's identical to her original non-asian one. This is the Betsy Braddock that appears in Excalibur and will take up the role of Captain Britain.

So...what happened to the asian body? It eventually awakes on its own, with the mind of the woman who originally owned it named Kwannon. Kwannon retains some of psylocke's powers, roughly appearing to be about the power level Psylocke was during Lee's 90s Xmen reboot (The current Betsy Braddock is far, FAR more powerful than this). THIS is the Psylocke that is appearing in Fallen Angels.
You really have to wonder who thought the whole Betsy/Kwannon thing was a good idea in the first place. It's been strung out so long with so many ridiculous developments that it might as well be up there with the clone saga.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
You really have to wonder who thought the whole Betsy/Kwannon thing was a good idea in the first place. It's been strung out so long with so many ridiculous developments that it might as well be up there with the clone saga.

First person who asks about Revanche gets a slap

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

I thought it was Jim Lee's idea but don't quote me.

Originally it was just supposed to be a one story arch thing but the editioral staff liked it so it stuck

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I'm interested in every DoX book, but aside from X-Men, Marauders and X-Force are what I'm interested in the most. Fallen Angels seems like it could be interesting, and that Excalibur lineup is just too good to at least be curious about. Probably going to check that first New Mutants arc from Hickman too, since that's sure to end up being the Sunspot/Cannonball power hour, because well... Hickman.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
They really had the British mutant colonize an asian woman's body.
Well in fairness it was a retcon, partially because Fabian Nicezia missed an issue of the old Acts of Vengeance arc. In the original story it was just Betsy transformed, no body swap, and she's still recognizable as Betsy even though Asian. It was also intended to be a temporary change but Jim Lee liked the new look and got Bob Harras to overrule Chris Claremont on changing back.

It's also a little more complicated since the Asian body died in X-treme X-Men and Betsy's reality warping brother Jamie brought her back in a new Asian body. Betsy's technically on her... sixth body by my count?!

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
that brings up a good point wtf did Emma have to brainwash the diplomat to get Krakoa recognized?

that is the exact issue with Xavier and his "I am too good (or good a person)for this" attitude that has led him to failing so many times.
Krakoa was going to be recognized one way or another.

The rest of the world isn't in any position to refuse them, and one diplomat being a shit was only going to tie up the process in needless red tape and political posturing while delaying the inevitable result everyone knew was coming.

Cut to the chase.

If the X-men had more emmas and less jeans they'd be in a better place by now.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Further thoughts: PoX 6 makes the Omega classification make sense.

It doesn't matter that Asgardian magic can outdo Storm. What matters is that it's not something post-humans are going to be able to replicate in their DNA or with technology. These are mutants that humans will never be able to make obsolete. That's why they're important. Because Moira's seen the future and, ultimately, it's obsolescence that is the ultimate weapon against mutantkind.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
If the X-men had more emmas and less jeans they'd be in a better place by now.

4pc4ReN_d.jpg

sven

Oct 31, 2017

I am going to definitely go with the two Hickman books and I decided to add Excalibur to the rotation. I'm not sure if I need anything else yet.

All of them. I don't read anything else from the big two besides X-Titles and my Image pulls have been shrinking for a while now. So I have plenty of room for all 6 titles.

I won't bother with Wolverine in the second wave though.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Does anyone actually believe that Mother Mold was destroyed? It's like the rule: if you don't see the body they ain't dead. We didn't actually see it's entire descent all the way into the sun and it's not like there were any mutants still alive to confirm. Zero chance it was destroyed. It stole Olympus' fire and is coming back to burn everyone down (with the added potential to be insane since it was awakened too early.)

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

At this point I'm really only in for the flagship title, but I do love the premise and cover art for Marauders and will probably give that a go. I also have some interest in New Mutants since Hickman is at least co-writing it, and the team on the cover of Excalibur with Apocalypse looks very interesting.

EDIT: Should note that I'm only going to budget for two titles, and one of them is definitely the flagship. I might early on budget to keep up on New Mutants in case it ends up being a direct companion book to the flagship like Avengers/New Avengers was for Hickman, but I do think I like the premise of Marauders a lot more.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Dalek Should we get the thread title changed to show that we will be discussing all ongoing X-Men comics in this thread? Maybe Hickman should be removed from the title? Up to you.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Open spoilers still on day of release?

Including comics people doesn't read?

They're saying these books are more interconnected now than they have been in years. If it's a spoiler that really matters, it'll impact more than one book and be referenced in more than one book.

Like, as an example, if you're just gonna read X-Men monthly and trade wait X-Force, you're not gonna be able to go into X-Force completely blind just by the nature of the books. So yeah, we should just keep things as is imo

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
They're saying these books are more interconnected now than they have been in years. If it's a spoiler that really matters, it'll impact more than one book and be referenced in more than one book.

Like, as an example, if you're just gonna read X-Men monthly and trade wait X-Force, you're not gonna be able to go into X-Force completely blind just by the nature of the books. So yeah, we should just keep things as is imo
Good. I hate having spoiler blocks

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
My brother doesn't read comics, but he was watching X-Men Apocalypse the other night. I told him about Psylocke's origin, and he looked at me and smirked, "You're shittin' me." He really thought I was fucking with him.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
So during all of this during the present timeline, did we ever see Xavier's face up front without the helmet? Are we sure there's no Sinister gem or even a completely different face under there, apart from being bald?

Also, did we ever figure out what exactly Moira did (in those redacted entries) to Xavier to make him "understand"?

I have theories!

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna wait on collected editions at this point. I've enjoyed reading what has been set out and aside from the Ascension storyline being a bit of a dud I've been happy with it, but I'm not big on following multiple different comics at the moment.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Moira journal entry 29 Re: Apocalypse is interesting given this run's specific attempt to count, define, and categorize Omega level mutants. Apocalypse is such a known quantity for Moira after life 9, it reads like: Yeah let the kid throw his tantrum for now, just don't let him get his hands on the keys to the car. It kind of sounds like she has a specific Omega mutant(s) in mind that would spell disaster if they became a horseman. HoX#1 lists only 14 known Omegas, anyone got a guess? I'm thinking, since her earlier entries elude to their kids-to-be, she could be referring to Proteus or Legion.

Btw, Exodus has me curious. I wonder what an Omega TK looks like. What kind of feats does Exodus have to earn this title?

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only getting X-Men and New Mutants as physical books, but I will probably check the others out digitally to see if I like them.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Btw, Exodus has me curious. I wonder what an Omega TK looks like. What kind of feats does Exodus have to earn this title?
Exodus being the Omega on teke seems like a weird one. I mean he hasn't really done anything that impressive, nothing on par with what any of the Phoenixes did telekinetically, and really just seems more on par with other higher level TKs like (Phoenixless) Jean, Rachel, Nate, Betsy, etc. There's also the question as to how much of his power levels are his actual natural mutation and how much might be due to Apocalypse and his Celestial tinkering.

To me it seems more like Hickman wanted him in the Omega shortlist and teke was sort the open slot that works. His telepathic track record is honestly a lot more impressive.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Exodus being the Omega on teke seems like a weird one. I mean he hasn't really done anything that impressive, nothing on par with what any of the Phoenixes did telekinetically, and really just seems more on par with other higher level TKs like (Phoenixless) Jean, Rachel, Nate, Betsy, etc. There's also the question as to how much of his power levels are his actual natural mutation and how much might be due to Apocalypse and his Celestial tinkering.

To me it seems more like Hickman wanted him in the Omega shortlist and teke was sort the open slot that works. His telepathic track record is honestly a lot more impressive.

Partly why I don't like the "downgrade" of just one power being Omega, like with Jean.

TK wise, in his debut he put a TK dome over all of Genosha and being contracting it, crushing buildings, etc, while fighting of the Avengers, X-Men, and going one on one vs Sersi...but like you said, he's had enhancements (which I'm not too clear about)...his AOA counterpart seemed less powerful (which Holocaust commented on when he crossed over and faces the 616 Exodus)

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm reading everything but Angels and Wolverine. Marauders and New Mutants are gonna be great.