• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I see that Namor stuff and I'm reminded how during Time Runs Out he went groveling on his knees to Doom when he realized he was in over his head.

Cyclops doesn't need to be on the council yet, things are finally looking up and plans are coming together, he's the dude you put in charge when shit hits rock bottom and you need someone who's always right to steer the ship.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
5idJODb_d.jpg

KMEMVMM_d.jpg

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I see that Namor stuff and I'm reminded how during Time Runs Out he went groveling on his knees to Doom when he realized he was in over his head.

Cyclops doesn't need to be on the council yet, things are finally looking up and plans are coming together, he's the dude you put in charge when shit hits rock bottom and you need someone who's always right to steer the ship.
LOL fuck Namor. I thought the same thing.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City

That is kind of the point. Namor knows they aint built for that life, he is though because of what he went through in Time Runs Out. Xavier is definitely tempting fate drug smuggling. If there was anything I could see ruin what he has built its the X-Men finding out he trying to get the world addicted to Kraoken drugs. Not to mention countries like Wakanda ..... going to war with them over the bullshit. Its a real sign he is trying to overstep his power

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
That is kind of the point. Namor knows they aint built for that life, he is though because of what he went through in Time Runs Out. Xavier is definitely tempting fate drug smuggling. If there was anything I could see ruin what he has built its the X-Men finding out he trying to get the world addicted to Kraoken drugs. Not to mention countries like Wakanda ..... going to war with them over the bullshit. Its a real sign he is trying to overstep his power

LOL I don't think they're that kind of drugs 🤣

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
After seeing what Xavier did to Namor in the Invader series, it completely makes sense why he doesn't want to join Karkoa.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Cyclops is definitely more comfortable with field leadership than political intrigue.
Separation of political and military structures

I also don't think Cyclops NEEDS to be on the council, story-wise, but I just want to give a reminder that Cyclops already ran a mutant nation with Utopia, and did it damn well. It may not have been to the scale of, or as recognized as Krakoa, but he was so good at it Namor and Mags both bent the knee. He IS actually experienced with and good at dealing with politics, playing the media, and spinning mutant public relations. The best reason to leave Cyclops off, as I see it, is that Hickman sees more interesting drama in the future with Cyclops answering to higher powers, including villains, not because it's not his field. He would actually be the best at it.

Edit: An in-universe possibility is that a new nation doesn't need the baggage from the last 6 years of Marvel writing Cyclops to be a volatile weirdo that makes wolverine seem to be the sensible role-model by comparison. You know, The Lost Decade.

About universal societies: PoX#2 was good about defining the relationship between Technarchs and Phalanx and then retconned the Phalanx we were previously familiar with to be merely a Technarch. But PoX#5 seems a little sketchy on the Phalanx's relationship with the higher societies. It made sense that Phalanx used Technarchs because there was a clear purpose, but it's weird that they now suggest Phalanx are also used by Titans, as if it's only a given that higher societies daisy chain into lower societies. I don't see why that necessarily has to be the case. Are Titans intelligences confined to their singularities and can no longer interact with normal space-time and are forced to employ more primitive societies to carry out their will?

Last edited:

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
The purpose of the drugs is to get people reliant or addicted to a Krakoa commodity so they recognize Mutant Sovereignty. Forcing it on people, is going to backfire.

I think they're more like miracle medical cures rather than addictive painkillers. The suggestion is that there will be a societal need for them, not a personal addiction.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
The purpose of the drugs is to get people reliant or addicted to a Krakoa commodity so they recognize Mutant Sovereignty. Forcing it on people, is going to backfire.

No...? They extend life and prevent things like dementia. No addiction necessary. If they actually work, then that's a medical breakthrough and people are going to want them regardless. You're looking at a pretty tame trade operation. They're not dealing heroin.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
No...? They extend life and prevent things like dementia. No addiction necessary. If they actually work, then that's a medical breakthrough and people are going to want them regardless. You're looking at a pretty tame trade operation. They're not dealing heroin.

That is assuming no side effects. Also what happens if Krakoa puts an embargo and people have to deal with shorter life's and dementia.

I really think people here are assuming Xavier and Erik have only saintly intentions. They don't and Namor was kind of hinting at that.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
That is assuming no side effects. Also what happens if Krakoa puts an embargo and people have to deal with shorter life's and dementia.

I really think people here are assuming Xavier and Erik have only saintly intentions. They don't and Namor was kind of hinting at that.

My guess is the Krakoa meds have a side effect of increasing the rate of mutant births.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

No, I'm pretty literally just saying medications and addictive recreational drugs are not the same thing.

Slightconfuse

Oct 25, 2017
X3 is life 6

And Moira is accelerating the phalanx coming to earth in life 10. The 5 data centers qualifies as a strong hold I think

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

Namor was hinting that Xavier doesn't actually believe his new "Mutants First. Mutants Only." agenda.

To Namor, a person does not just flip a switch and completely change agendas.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City

i get what others are saying about namor's take (and agree) but i think you're onto something here too - a number of folks pointed out how creepy it was a few issues back seeing prof in cassandra's hat/getup. looking back though, it feels like he's set on essentially colonizing.

fucksake, emma called the setup the east asia trading company. this shit isn't well intended, even if mutants do need their own nation - yeah, i'd be after that UN recognition shortcut by any means necessary too, but there's clearly gonna be consequences here. like someone else said, shady shit is like xavier's secondary mutation.

After seeing what Xavier did to Namor in the Invader series, it completely makes sense why he doesn't want to join Karkoa.

damn, i really need to read that book

kazamatsuri

Behind the Scenes at Epic
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
In re-reading the previous issues, I came across this part in Powers of X #2:
However, the fourth generation of Sinister mutants suffered a systemic failure. The entire batch of these Omega-based, Chimera mutants was produced with a corrupted hive mind that was only discovered to be defective after they had destroyed 40 percent of the remaining mutant population and caused the fall of Krakoa itself. They eventually committed mass suicide, collapsing Mars, the Sinister pits and themselves into a self-singularity.

Sounds kind of similar to a Titan. I wonder if we'll be seeing this corrupted hive mind again?

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
In re-reading the previous issues, I came across this part in Powers of X #2:

Sounds kind of similar to a Titan. I wonder if we'll be seeing this corrupted hive mind again?

Daaaamn. So X1000 is life 6. Moira took her experience with Titan universal societies in life 6 and applied them with mutant breeding pits in life 9 (and either messed up or Sinister ruined it), and is combining them both again in life 10 now that Nimrod is out of the way.

"They will think we are doing one thing, but the truth is we are doing something altogether different." The point isn't mutant resurrection, it's to create a transcendent super dense mutant Titan level intelligence? This doesn't make the most sense to me but is still interesting.

Last edited:

Bloodarmz

Jul 11, 2018
12 governmental seats reminds me of the zodiac council stuff from Secret Warriors.

So the organisation teased in HoX 5, the need for a group that can investigate mutant disappearances before the decision to resurrect them, is probably the premise of X-Force.
And I'm guessing the group they're talking about under the command of Frost that is getting drugs through the black market and getting mutants out of countries that don't recognise Krakoa will be the Marauders. Looking forward to see them interact with Wakanda and Latveria.
I'm assuming that the next HoX will lay out the plans of Apocalypse and what he wants to do with Excalibur.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Phalanx stuff seems like Moira's long game plan to get knowledge that can help the mutants in another timeline.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
It seems like they are (rightfully) ignoring Wood's terrible run when he randomly resurrected Maddie and Selene for absolutely no reason? I did really love when Selene walked through the portal randomly holding a skull as her accessory.
???

That selene look is a direct call back to that run though

maxxatom

Nov 6, 2017
Kansas City
???

That selene look is a direct call back to that run though
A visual reference an artist googled does not imply much in terms of specific stories being referenced. I am sure Larraz was just pulling looks he thought were good. Just like the X-men themselves, the villains costumes are from all different eras. When Maddie shows up in her bad Anka design with day of the dead Lady Deathstrike then I will assume Wood's run has suddenly become part of the important historical lore.

Oct 26, 2017
I could do without this Titan Phalanx nonsense. It's just too ridiculous and out there. I'd rather have something approaching relatable.

Which for me was always uncharacteristic. I prefer to remember him doing what the others couldn't and indirectly saving the multiverse.

Personally I enjoyed Namor's behaviour in this latest issue. It felt more like Hickman making up for that blubbering to Doom travesty and letting Namor be what he should.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
I could do without this Titan Phalanx nonsense. It's just too ridiculous and out there. I'd rather have something approaching relatable.

Which for me was always uncharacteristic. I prefer to remember him doing what the others couldn't and indirectly saving the multiverse.

Personally I enjoyed Namor's behaviour in this latest issue. It felt more like Hickman making up for that blubbering to Doom travesty and letting Namor be what he should.

Idk he wrote a helluva Namor. If anything this new Namor is just what Hickman's Namor was until he realized he was doing things beyond even the limits of his morality. Which in and of itself says a lot because Namor loves drowning cities.

Also Namor didn't go to Doom because what Thanos and that crew were doing was failing, he went there because he realized he had teamed up with monsters because he thought he had become one, but he wasn't. Hickman redoing that scene just keeps screaming to me that this whole thing is a lot more malicious than most people realize. With Namor knowing that Xavier isn't nearly the monster he think he is, but he is going to learn that the hard way.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What Dawn of X series are you all getting? In def grabbing the Hickman X-Men one. And Marauders. But I don't know what else. Maybe XForce and Excalibur? They're also so damn interesting. I haven't been this excited about X-Men in a long while

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
What Dawn of X series are you all getting? In def grabbing the Hickman X-Men one. And Marauders. But I don't know what else. Maybe XForce and Excalibur? They're also so damn interesting. I haven't been this excited about X-Men in a long while
I'll start with X-Men and New Mutants. I like Bryan Hill, so I'll try Fallen Angels.

Percy is hit and miss, so I need impressions on X-Force. I want to read it, though...

Everyone is on board with Marauders, but I don't think I'll blind buy a Duggan comic. I don't love him that much, but I think it'll likely be good.

Have yet to read something that good by Tini Howard, so I'll wait for impressions on Excalibur.

I'll likely read anything I don't buy in trades from the library.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll start with X-Men and New Mutants. I like Bryan Hill, so I'll try Fallen Angels.

Percy is hit and miss, so I need impressions on X-Force. I want to read it, though...

Everyone is on board with Marauders, but I don't think I'll blind buy a Duggan comic. I don't love him that much, but I think it'll likely be good.

Have yet to read something that good by Tini Howard, so I'll wait for impressions on Excalibur.

I'll likely read anything I don't buy in trades from the library.

They all sound like series i would read, which is something the X-Men hasn't been in a long while. Each series has a clear mission and focus again. It's not all just a mess of one thing after another.