• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair only namor actually committed genocide the rest couldn't bring themselves to do it
yeah i think its truer to say that Hickman really likes putting the heroes into just really difficult positions where the good thing to do just isnt as obvious as it usually is.
it was the same thing with Reed trying to solve everything in his FF run as well.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Just read both PoX 4 and HoX 5 and I was blown away.

Although the story is kinda creepy at some points (like the resurrection part) I've been really liking how it's presented. Can't wait for the 3 issues left!

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Still. The new X-men are brainwashing government officials and making allies with villains. I can hardly call them heroes anymore.

It's not that heroes are all squeaky clean but this is a step too far.

It's more like countries aren't squeaky clean. The fact is Krakoa isn't doing anything to secure its own sovereignty that's worse than what any other nation has done to achieve the same goal. X-Force will be particularly interesting on this front.

We're basically beyond simplistic hero/villain stuff.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's more like countries aren't squeaky clean. The fact is Krakoa isn't doing anything to secure its own sovereignty that's worse than what any other nation has done to achieve the same goal. X-Force will be particularly interesting on this front.

We're basically beyond simplistic hero/villain stuff.

I mean those villains are murderers and have ruined many lives. Why do they get off clean? Just because the humans were mean to them?

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I mean those villains are murderers and have ruined many lives. Why do they get off clean? Just because the humans were mean to them?

Yes, that is the stated view. One nation, one people.

I think people have this expectation of being comfortable with what's happening here or the X-Men attempting to justify themselves somehow, in terms that make sense to us as humans/readers. That might happen in the future, but as it stands, both in the context of the fiction and on a meta level as a reader, you don't have to get it because you're not a mutant.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Surely it means Moira is now resurrectable and there are infinite lives to go at?

That creates a whole mess of worms, though, especially because we still don't have clarity on what happens to the timeline after she dies. We still don't know if anyone actually knows she's still alive, as well.

What's tweaking me right now is - why did their plan require them to play Heroes and Villains for ten years?

Last edited:

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see Chuck opening up Krakoa to mutant villains a dubious move at all, it is absolutely the right thing to do. He's establishing a mutant nation, so all mutant have to get Krakoan citizenship from the get go. What happens the moment they step out of line, is what to look out for.

Hope Hickman goes ham on nerdy shit like how Krakoa will be governed, if it'll get a constitution, a justice system and so on.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
What's tweaking me right now is - why did their plan require them to play Heroes and Villains for ten years?

I think that panel of Xavier smirking when talking about Genosha is pretty telling, maybe he allowed or even had a hand in the genocide on purpose to create the scenario where every mutant (even Selene and Apocalypse) to join and being accepted, in his mind he would ressurrect every million that died anyway. Also I think Cerebro is going to be the new Nimrod in the not so far future, a machine who can adapt to every mutant powr because it has each one very escence? If that doesn't seem ominous I don't know what it is

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
please everyone read Immortal Hulk and after every issue know that you ain't seen shit yet

I got into it because of the crossover with the Fantastic Four and I can confirm.

I didn't know anything about the series and this was a hell of a selling point

37vWWmy.jpg

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Now that the Mutant Xerox is on the table, give me an Exiles series about Nightcrawler leading a team across time and the Multiverse to collect mutants who either didn't make Sinister's database or don't exist on 616.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
So what was the status of the M-dayed mutants anyway? Are they able to come to krakoa? Could they be resurrected with their powers back?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I've been thinking about how you create forward-moving tension in a paradigm where you have infinite lives. Sure, there are lots of small ways to have tension on an in the moment basis. The tension between mutants and humans will still exist and certainly be a plot point. But ultimately, where does it go?

I have this very strong suspicion that we'll find that out in PoX #6. We'll know this all ends in disaster. We'll get a brief glance of how. We won't know exactly how it gets there... but we'll witness it, like a trainwreck in slow motion over the course of the next year or so of books.

Ok, I've been thinking about how you create forward-moving tension in a paradigm where you have infinite lives. Sure, there are lots of small ways to have tension on an in the moment basis. The tension between mutants and humans will still exist and certainly be a plot point. But ultimately, where does it go?

I have this very strong suspicion that we'll find that out in PoX #6. We'll know this all ends in disaster. We'll get a brief glance of how. We won't know exactly how it gets there... but we'll witness it, like a trainwreck in slow motion over the course of the next year or so of books.

IMO, Hickman is still being ultimately vague about the resurrection and issues like the "soul". When Scott bid his goodbye, when he told Jean he wasn't going to make it, it didn't sound like someone who knew that Xavier would resurrect them personally.

One way you create tension with infinite lives is if people begin to feel existential dread. What if mutants as a people become immortal at the expense of valuing individual lives?

Depending on how dark this gets, what if the mutant leadership deems it permissible to execute mutants who get out of line and cause trouble, with the justification they'll just resurrect a new version later?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
IMO, Hickman is still being ultimately vague about the resurrection and issues like the "soul". When Scott bid his goodbye, when he told Jean he wasn't going to make it, it didn't sound like someone who knew that Xavier would resurrect them personally.

One way you create tension with infinite lives is if people begin to feel existential dread. What if mutants as a people become immortal at the expense of valuing individual lives?

Depending on how dark this gets, what if the mutant leadership deems it permissible to execute mutants who get out of line and cause trouble, with the justification they'll just resurrect a new version later?
Add in deleted memories, which would of course happen, you can get some interesting stuff.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Decided to re-read HoX & PoX up to this point for no reason in particular, and HoX #2 still floors me.

I'm having a hard time trying think of a scene more chilling in X books in the last decade or so than the bit with Destiny. Larraz & Gracia have been putting in some godlike work but god damn did they knock that scene out the park.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Wait.

Cyclops's inability to control his powers is partly due to a brain injury received from falling out a plane.

When Xavier frist ressurects Scott his powers are active but undercontrol, then Xavier does his thing and gives Scott the visor.

Is Xavier forcing a brain injury on Scott?

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Wait.

Cyclops's inability to control his powers is partly due to a brain injury received from falling out a plane.

When Xavier frist ressurects Scott his powers are active but undercontrol, then Xavier does his thing and gives Scott the visor.

During Whedon's run, Cyclops said that the injury healed a long time ago, and now his inability to control his power was psychosomatic.
So what was the status of the M-dayed mutants anyway? Are they able to come to krakoa? Could they be resurrected with their powers back?

Some of them were restored by the Phoenix Force or the High Evolutionary. Sinister also created and released a virus by reverse engineering the Ultimate Universe's Mothervine that re-activated depowered mutants as well as creating new mutants and secondary mutations.

Last edited:

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

Hickman has said a couple times what's being set up now is for the next 3-4 years of X-books, maybe even longer of sales/reception support that.

who actually wanted this fucking outfit back? she looks like she's going to a 70s swinger party.

I know, it's great!

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait.

It's not the injury it's a childhood trauma thing.

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
There seemed to be some clear break points for the resurrection process in the need for all of the five and need for Cerebro to record and then questions about the husks. Even with mention of possible replacements for the five, it felt like these elements were explicitly mentioned as failure points for use as conflict in future stories.

I kinda doubt that will play out in HoXPoX, though. It feels like fodder for the stories to be told going forward. I think it's interesting to have this in play for awhile, given how meaningless death can be in superhero comics at times.

There was also an explicit mention of Krakoa's political capital relying on producing the longevity meds, another obvious fracture point if it fails. Will be interesting to see if any of the enemy nations try and use extreme measures like nukes or bio weapons and how that plays out. Also whether there is mutant espionage from those nations.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
During Whedon's run, Cyclops said that the injury healed a long time ago, and now his inability to control his power was psychosomatic.
It's partially psychosomatic.

Child Scott "decided" but as he told Emma "clarity, it was a beautiful gift. But it'll go. And I don't want to wait for that."

I have always took that to mean there is more to it than just the...
It's not the injury it's a childhood trauma thing.
Childhood trauma. Because the childhood trauma only explains a bit of it. He nearly died, yes. But he didn't, and he saved his younger brother.

I mean Xavier is a dick, but even he would have counseled Scott to help him gain control of powers.

Emma put him in the Black Bug Room and he came out with enough ability to control his powers for a few days, maybe a week.

There is still more to it than that.

Then again people at Marvel seem to hate when mutants gain control of there uncontrollable powers. *side eyes Rogue *

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
This whole thing is weird when you remember the soul exists in the Marvel universe

Is Johnny Blaze in hell confused why there's multiple mystique running around in hell

Also what happened to the issue with Nightcrawler selling his soul to bamfs

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

If he's already being so on-the-nose about this, it's all but certain that there is some kind of caveat to what we're seeing.

Surely it means Moira is now resurrectable and there are infinite lives to go at?

That's an interesting question that makes the whole resurrection thing more complicated. Would her groundhog day powers activate at the point of the first death, or would she be resurrected? Either ways there would be even more questions about the nature of the soul, the mind, and the husks.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017

I think it depends on how her powers work. Does reality reset when she dies or dies she created a new timeline with the old one still running after her death?

If the former, as soon as she is dead the reality resets and there will be no time to resuscitate her.

If the later, wouldn't it create multiple Moira and even more branching realities? It would be the same as if they clone her while she is still alive. Like a cross thing with Moira and Maddox.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
So the way the mutants are being resurrected, they're just making copies aren't they? Identical copies with copies of their "souls" downloaded from Cerebro. Basically the same sprt of thing Iron Man does with a.i. How does that work in terms of the afterlife, which we know exists in the Marvel U? Is heaven and hell gonna end up with multiple copies of the same mutants?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
So the way the mutants are being resurrected, they're just making copies aren't they? Identical copies with copies of their "souls" downloaded from Cerebro. Basically the same sprt of thing Iron Man does with a.i. How does that work in terms of the afterlife, which we know exists in the Marvel U? Is heaven and hell gonna end up with multiple copies of the same mutants?
Like I said somewhere Johnny Blaze, Valkyrie, all the other people in charge of afterlife are looking really confused right now

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
That's probably the real answer to all this they souls go back

But it's funnier to think the afterlife getting real crowded
but then there how a lot of the infrodump surrounding this process seem to imply that duplicates can happen, so the heck will a soul do if there are two bodies that fit?

there can only be one?

The fact that there is concern about the danger of duplicates may indicate the "essence" being talked about is just the person's mind, not an immortal soul. So yeah if you create a string of new Scotts and they all die, it's a lotta ghost Scotts kicking around.

Or maybe it will get weirder than that. Perhaps the spirit gets pulled between multiple bodies and causes... problems.

Maybe higher powers are going to drop in and have a chat with Xavier about his little enterprise.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
but then there how a lot of the infrodump surrounding this process seem to imply that duplicates can happen, so the heck will a soul do if there are two bodies that fit?

there can only be one?

I would say that the "soul magnetism" trick only works if the soul isn't bound to a body, and the death is fresh enough that it hasn't passed on to an afterlife. If there's already another version of someone running around, new soul. If the soul has passed on when the clone shows up, new soul.

Of course, this could have been corrected by having a magic user like Magik, Forge or Pixie as part of the ressurection pipeline.

And actually, former Valkyrie Dani Moonstar would also be a good fit for reclaiming souls.

Last edited:

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I ask again what happened to Nightcrawler selling his soul to the bamfs

Like he's not allowed back to the afterlife

Maybe he's the only one that's actually coming back to life and not a copy

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

The last Scarlet Spider series seemed to indicate that a perfect clone keeps the original's soul if it is created after the original's death (if they're killed and brought back multiple times like that the soul itself is damaged though).

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The last Scarlet Spider series seemed to indicate that a perfect clone keeps the original's soul if it is created after the original's death (if they're killed and brought back multiple times like that the soul itself is damaged though).
To be fair according to Death no one had died as much as Scarlet Spider because miles kept bringing him back and then killing all the time

So it has to be a lot for it to be a problem

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel has turned the X-men into a cult.
Still. The new X-men are brainwashing government officials and making allies with villains. I can hardly call them heroes anymore.

It's not that heroes are all squeaky clean but this is a step too far.
Yeah this is not to my liking and why I will stop with this book. I know characters aren't perfect but between and the cult behavior these are not the X-men i grew up reading. I'm disappointed.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel has turned the X-men into a cult.

Yeah this is not to my liking and why I will stop with this book. I know characters aren't perfect but between and the cult behavior these are not the X-men i grew up reading. I'm disappointed.

Uh, I mean clearly you are supposed to be creeped out by this and there's obviously something afoot here. They aren't portraying this as normal or positive.