• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I forget things, but I thought Shaw was killed by Emma in X-Men Black?
So they resurrected Shaw, but he wasn't already on Krakoa?

Similar problem exists with Emplate. He died quite some time ago and "infected" Monet with whatever it was that compels him to drain the lifeforce of other mutants.

Why on earth you would resurrect a mutant that needs to feed on other mutants for food is a mystery to me.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The more and more I think about it...with this Five System in place along with Proteus....they can basically do anything they want. Proteus is on their side and he literally has the power to change anything. Speaking of which-where's Legion?

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
The more and more I think about it...with this Five System in place along with Proteus....they can basically do anything they want. Proteus is on their side and he literally has the power to change anything. Speaking of which-where's Legion?

Proteus's powers aren't quite as potent as other reality warpers'. He's historically only been able to change stuff around him, and his body burns out faster the more he uses his powers.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Why is Proteus using Xavier derived husks and didn't the primer say that they've never implanted a mutant's soul into a husk not derived from the same mutant?

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
So Xavier finally learned to make redundant backups...pain is a helluva teacher, we've all been there...

yrlK4Ao_d.jpg

sF7ZL58_d.jpg

7MBoj4c_d.jpg

wujo4Ij_d.jpg

nitekrawler

Oct 28, 2017
The organic copying of the soul strikes me as very consequential. Rasputin's words (You've forgotten that machines have no soul and that the humans lost theirs a long time ago) and the Librarian's words (There's too much machinery floating around in there---and not enough soul to save let alone copy) come to mind. I can't help but think the way in which they are evolving technology organically and of themselves are solving the ascendance problems.

It might be premature of me to assume ascendance fails in X^3 timeline and even more so that I assuming X^3 is Moira's 6th life and not included in the graph because it would be too long. However, having literally overcome death and joined with what most would define as their primary villains, adversaries, and antagonists I don't see any other possible conflicts to explore than what does one do with the power of immortality. Many hints in the series point to never be forgotten as analogous to immortality. They have achieved that on a societal level.

Additionally, the way Magneto speaks of Krakoa being more than a place and nature of what they are able to achieve operating together as described in the Omega Protocol leads me to believe that mutants might have to become a galactic level intelligence in order to stave off our galaxy being consumed by the phalanx. Asteroid Krakoa with 17+ million mutants seems to be an excellent start to a world mind.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
OOOh...I'll try to handle this one but I might need some help.

IMG-0506.png

Ok top panel from left to right:
1. Random (and Wildside)
2. Sinister
3. Lady Mastermind (I think?)
4. Mesmero
5. Mentallo
6. No idea (The woman riding the dragon)

Second Panel from left to right
1. Sebastian Shaw
2. Selene
3. Emplate (Monet's brother)
4. Exodus
5. Gorgon
6. Calisto

And of course, the only man to rock an "A" belt buckle, Apocalypse..
So the updated would be
Top panel from left to right:
1. Wildside
2. Random
3. Sinister
4. Lady Mastermind (I think?)
5. Mesmero
6. Mentallo
7. Animax

Second Panel from left to right
1. Sebastian Shaw
2. Selene
3. Emplate (Monet's brother)
4. Exodus
5. Gorgon
6. Calisto
7. Someone's arm?

Good work and thanks!

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Proteus's powers aren't quite as potent as other reality warpers'. He's historically only been able to change stuff around him, and his body burns out faster the more he uses his powers.

One of the weird little retcons that happened recently is that Marvel established that Proteus was about 10 years old when the X-men first encountered him.

The current one is an adult, and is a LOT stronger. He still burns through bodies, but he was affecting stuff over a REALLY wide area in Astonishing.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Yeah but she's been alive for a while. In fact she is the one who finally killed Hydra-Cap.

IIRC Selene doesn't HAVE to drain Mutants to live, but can. She can drain anything. She's also an External and can't ever actually be permanently killed. (edit: we also don't KNOW Hydra-Cap has actually been killed. We saw a dude get horribly disfigured, but this is comics.)

Emplate is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ball of wax. Not only does he need mutants explicitly (as opposed to just anybody) he doesn't just "drain energy" he *eats their bone marrow* and if he does not do so within a certain amount of time, he fades into a pocket dimension where he is horribly tortured by whatever lives there.

This is why he looks like he does and has to use that respirator. It's not his mutation, it's because of all the torture.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Proteus using Xavier derived husks and didn't the primer say that they've never implanted a mutant's soul into a husk not derived from the same mutant?

Part of Proteus's power is the ability to body hop. He may not count because he wasn't implanted through the same process, but rather moved his energy form into the husks naturally.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Is their any implication of Xavier being Proteus's biological father by the fact that his husks are based on Xavier's DNA?

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Just finished reading the issue. Every Wednesday it is exactly the same with me "WOW, that was incredible. I CANT WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT ONE."

And I have to gush again, this art is just fantastic.

Oct 31, 2017
This was....interesting. That chant Storm was doing was weird AF. TF was that?

Resurrection eggs kind of make every death meaningless now since they can bring them back right away. Also is Apocalypse and them trying to do duplicates of themselves? Especially since the issue mentioned they had to be careful with duplicates, but I figured Apocalypse wouldn't care.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Good point, all. Forgot about his body hopping. Interesting that they use Xavier husks rather than his own genetic material though.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
How long before the "confirm they're dead" rule is thrown out the window?

Like, next extinction-level threat they run across, somebody has to suggest "well, what if we attacked him with a hundred Wolverines?"

maxxatom

Nov 6, 2017
Kansas City
It seems like they are (rightfully) ignoring Wood's terrible run when he randomly resurrected Maddie and Selene for absolutely no reason? I did really love when Selene walked through the portal randomly holding a skull as her accessory.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I've never felt like this from a comic before. Both great interest in what's coming next and also dread because I don't want to read my favorite characters act like creepy cultists for the next few years.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the record Animax is literally a character created by children.

Fraction's kid made her and Bendis' kid named her.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
So I just got to thinking.

Is Xavier mentioned anywhere in the advertising for the series that comes after?

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
edit: oh I also missed Wildside chilling below Random.

I posted Wildside a few pages back on my joke dreamteam, my jaw dropped when I saw him.

I still expect a massive reset with a large chunk of this timeline redone up till Krakoa, without the ressurections. Or now, wouldn't be surprised if Mags took over as the newly benevolent one once Xavier's shady secrets get out.

Wondering if putting a mutant soul in a different mutant's egg makes something, i dunno, chimera like.

maxxatom

Nov 6, 2017
Kansas City
It feels like there are still so many moving pieces to be addressed in three issues:

- Moria's 6th and 11th life
- If any of the Sinister rumors come true
- The Phalanx and future stuff
- The missing half of Krakoa, the original horsemen, which leads into
- Limbo and magical stuff (leading to Excalibur)
- and I still am expecting (hoping) that Cassie plays some role in all of it. (that cosplay was obvious but intentional)

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like there are still so many moving pieces to be addressed in three issues:

- Moria's 6th and 11th life
- If any of the Sinister rumors come true
- The Phalanx and future stuff
- The missing half of Krakoa, the original horsemen, which leads into
- Limbo and magical stuff (leading to Excalibur)
- and I still am expecting (hoping) that Cassie plays some role in all of it. (that cosplay was obvious but intentional)
Of your list, I think only Moira and the Phalanx stuff strictly need to be addressed before the end of HoXPoX. Everything else could be part of the ongoing series.
I was going to add "and why Xavier looks that way, with his helmet always on", but we got an answer today.