• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Emma Frost and the Cuckoos (these are her children? I thought they were all just sister-clones or something) entrance was bad ass this issue.

Was Nimrod made out of a human sate? Thus the Omega cycle ending at 'total machine state', thus pure nano-sentinel tech.

That was a cliffhanger ending alright. I wonder why Hickman mentions that the original living-island Krakoa has a language of its own, like if both that and the manufactured Krakoan language will play a role.

Here's the manufactured Krakoan language:

krakoan1ckex.jpg

Last edited:

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
Emma with the scene of the issue. Great one again this week, killer cliffhanger, makes me very happy we're getting another House next week.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Emma Frost and the Cuckoos (these are her children? I thought they were all just sister-clones or something) entrance was bad ass this issue.

Was Nimrod made out of a human sate? Thus the Omega cycle ending at 'total machine state', thus pure nano-sentinel tech.

The stepfords are child clones of Emma frost. Notably some of the ones we see here died a while ago and have been inexplicably resurrected.

The omega cycle is explaining that Omega Sentinels are humans injected with nanotech that will eventually convert them to a pure machine state. The Omega Sentinel we saw in Life 9 was likely one of these (karima?) at the final stage.

A nimrod is a self replicating nanomachine colony that's vastly more powerful. They don't exist yet whereas omega sentinels do.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
The omega cycle is explaining that Omega Sentinels are humans injected with nanotech that will eventually convert them to a pure machine state. The Omega Sentinel we saw in Life 9 was likely one of these (karima?) at the final stage.

A nimrod is a self replicating nanomachine colony that's vastly more powerful. They don't exist yet whereas omega sentinels do.
Oh, I understand the Omega Sentinel stuff, Karima's one yeah.

Now that you mention the Nimrod stuff, the 'Machines - Sentinel to Nimrod progression' chart makes this clear. So it's a separate thing from omega sentinel, gotcha.

chiraledge

Oct 25, 2017
Xavier's "such a brave face you're wearing for me....but I can hear the fear in your mind, Scott." line is such a Palpatine line.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I still think there's significance to the "Listen to me, Scott" - (shot of Cyclops with no dialog) - "They have to be stopped" sequence in POX2, with the little light bubbles all over.

From context we think that it's Orchis that needs to be stopped from making the Mother Mold to make Nimrod, but Xavier should know that Nimrod is inevitable. I have a good feeling we're going to get a flashback sequence that adds a Xavier bubble and re-contextualizes that conversation by specifying that another party needs to be stopped.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Mutant name will never not be stupid.

Magik really could have made that entire mission a non-issue.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I still think there's significance to the "Listen to me, Scott" - (shot of Cyclops with no dialog) - "They have to be stopped" sequence in POX2, with the little light bubbles all over.

From context we think that it's Orchis that needs to be stopped from making the Mother Mold to make Nimrod, but Xavier should know that Nimrod is inevitable. I have a good feeling we're going to get a flashback sequence that adds a Xavier bubble and re-contextualizes that conversation by specifying that another party needs to be stopped.
According to this issue, Nimrod is not inevitable. The evolution of AI is but it can take on different forms.

That's why I think "sleeping giant" might end up being important. Maybe it's another evolutionary track for AI?

Will

Oct 26, 2017
I find it really funny that the Krakoan language is described as "untranslatable" on the same page that lists a cipher for the language.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Everything about the way the X-Men are behaving in current time is playing out a bit like a horror movie. Everything is just..off.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the issue today but wish it wasn't a cliffhanger lol.

I wonder how this whole thing plays out...

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I wonder about the shot of the blackbird exploding. Most of the damage doesn't seem to be coming from the area around the breaching collar. It looks like the wing of the blackbird itself exploded, kinda. It could be that the explosion set off the fuel in the wing or something, but it's still weird.

According to this issue, Nimrod is not inevitable. The evolution of AI is but it can take on different forms.

That's why I think "sleeping giant" might end up being important. Maybe it's another evolutionary track for AI?

Eh, it says that Nimrod is dependent on a technological threshold being reached. Destroying the Mother Mold may temporarily stall his creation, but it won't prevent him from being created. Eventually technology will proceed to that threshold again.

I can see Sleeping Giant come into play, though, especially because it very specifically states that Moira and Xavier came up with it.

I find it really funny that the Krakoan language is described as "untranslatable" on the same page that lists a cipher for the language.

It says that there are two Krakoan languages - one made up for the mutants, and the actual language Krakoa itself speaks.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Eh, it says that Nimrod is dependent on a technological threshold being reached. Destroying the Mother Mold may temporarily stall his creation, but it won't prevent him from being created. Eventually technology will proceed to that threshold again.

I can see Sleeping Giant come into play, though, especially because it very specifically states that Moira and Xavier came up with it.

I think the entity Nimrod, mutant killing AI machine of doom, isn't necessarily a certainty. I think the idea is that we reach a point in our techno-evolution that a Nimrod like entity will emerge. That's my theory for Sleeping Giant. They are not only using the origin info for Nimrod to stop it before it ever exists but also trying to control the evolution of AI and that entity is currently in the form of Sleeping Giant. Possibly for the betterment of Mutant Kind? That's my theory right now.

Maybe that is breaking the rules?

Maybe it already got into Charles' head and that's why he's acting so wonky.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I wonder about the shot of the blackbird exploding. Most of the damage doesn't seem to be coming from the area around the breaching collar. It looks like the wing of the blackbird itself exploded, kinda. It could be that the explosion set off the fuel in the wing or something, but it's still weird.

It says that there are two Krakoan languages - one made up for the mutants, and the actual language Krakoa itself speaks.

Which is a retcon of a retcon. Deadly Genesis stated Karoka was never intelligent and had no speech capability. Even the son of Karoka was more of a lockjaw like character. Very intelligent animal but nothing more.

Of course fully powered up Cypher was not a member of either of those teams

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the X-Men on that mission died and Xavier will simply recreate them - the scene of them crawling out of those pods in issue #1.
Otherwise Jean could have put up a TK shield and let Kurt teleport everyone inside. As to how they actually escape and get back home? I bet Mystique actually brought along Krakoa seeds just in case.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I think the entity Nimrod, mutant killing AI machine of doom, isn't necessarily a certainty. I think the idea is that we reach a point in our techno-evolution that a Nimrod like entity will emerge. That's my theory for Sleeping Giant. They are not only using the origin info for Nimrod to stop it before it ever exists but also trying to control the evolution of AI and that entity is currently in the form of Sleeping Giant. Possibly for the betterment of Mutant Kind? That's my theory right now.

Maybe that is breaking the rules?

Maybe it already got into Charles' head and that's why he's acting so wonky.

Yeah. I still think the endgoal overall is to make a mutant-friendly Nimrod, or Nimrod-equivalent.

It's interesting that Xaiver and Moira had a program in place to monitor technological advances, while Orchis also had a program in place to monitor Mutant advances.

It's a reach, but I wonder if we'll get a reveal that there's another mutant with Moira X powers. It would be an extra mind-f*ck if they were going the other way or something.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love how Cypher went from being the useless New Mutant to the most vital piece for Krakoans.

Thanks Zeb Wells :)

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Cypher hasn't been the useless New Mutant since 2009
He was in the 80s and 90s.

I always liked Doug, he was soft-spoken and his friendship with Warlock was nice.
It hurt when he died.

When Zeb Wells brought him back on his New Mutants run, it was awesome, and the power to "read" into everything is a really good upgrade.
I love that Hickman is using him as well.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Where the heck are the other 3 Cuckoos, you would think they would be excited to be reunited yet the 3 living ones haven't even been mentioned?

Anyways some pretty straight forward issues going on now that the premise and stakes have all been laid out. Still very enjoyable and looking forward to every new issue, but I'm mostly anticipating more big twists or revelations at this point and I imagine they aren't coming until we get to the next highlighted issue in a couple weeks.

There were 5 (five!) pages of text-based info dumpery in this issue. I think that's an all-time high for HoX/PoX, and likely won't ever be topped. Hickman delivered!

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I think it's weird that we never actually see Krakoa. For playing such a large role in the story, we never see a shot of the island itself on the water or anything. We only see people outside of Krakoa walking in/out of portals, or people in Krakoa walking in/out of portals, and in the script for HoX#1 Hickman specifically says that they should be opaque. Magneto doesn't bring the ambassadors to Krakoa, and when the Blackbird takes off in PoX#3, it takes off from the moon habitat, rather than from Krakoa proper. We've also not yet seen Helmet Xavier leave Krakoa.

There's something fishy going on there.

TheRightDeal

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking Xavier's "I won't allow you to die" is going to be pretty literal as he hatches these dead X-Men from eggs next week.

i agree something is probably purposefully "off" about these character's, but I enjoyed kind of an early look at what a Hickman X-Men adventure would look like.

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
yet another fantastic issue - this shit is my game of thrones, first thing i hit up before the internet spoils it

Hey I'm glad they got Creed out

me too, oddly...i was a huge wolvy fan in the day, and despite creed being a murderous rapist/sociopath, i can somehow root for him in situations like this

Really neat interactions between Cyclops and
Maker
huh

i'd be lying if that possibility hadn't crossed my mind
i fell off x-books for a few years and don't even know when xavier last came back, much less how he's walking - though maybe in this timeline, moira got him to sidestep the run-in with shadow king?

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Sabertooth being rescued has to be a two-fold thing right? #1 it shows that Mutants are going to police themselves, have diplomatic immunity, all that jazz. but #2 he has to have some importance to the coming story, right? I know none of you have the answers but it seems fishy to me that so much of this series thus far has been set up seemingly impeccably for his rescue to just prove point #1.

I want a cool Creed moment. Preferably working with Wolverine, but I will take my fun where I can get it.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Creed is OG Wolvie now, without the father figure, samurai stuff.

They said AI was inevitable, not Nimrod. But Sleeping Giant could totally be their own homegrown, mutant loving Nimrod.

NO... SINISTER?!?

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Man, I really wanted more Emma.. God I'd let he step all over me.

But anyway, who's the x-men girl in yellow clothing?

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I fell behind a few issues, is there anywhere I can buy some of the back issues in trade online for non absurd prices? Just want the regular cover editions

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Although I don't know why her face is still cracking up. Im pretty sure we resolved that issue with her powers

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Holy shit, that Emma entrance. Cool intro with Cyclops too. What a goddamn issue once again. Absolutely gorgeous art.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's weird that we never actually see Krakoa. For playing such a large role in the story, we never see a shot of the island itself on the water or anything. We only see people outside of Krakoa walking in/out of portals, or people in Krakoa walking in/out of portals, and in the script for HoX#1 Hickman specifically says that they should be opaque. Magneto doesn't bring the ambassadors to Krakoa, and when the Blackbird takes off in PoX#3, it takes off from the moon habitat, rather than from Krakoa proper. We've also not yet seen Helmet Xavier leave Krakoa.

There's something fishy going on there.

My personal speculation is that Xavier is copying and storing their psyches as a backup, and overriding each clone body as they're born.

Deleted member 2083

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Magneto's line reminded me of his post-Genosha genoicde vocal recording, and how he was remembered better in death than he was when he was alive.

"It's a strange thing to die. I was Magneto, the master of magnetic forces. Now I will be a voice in the darkness, echoing forever. Once, I was a mortal man. Now I am becoming memory, immortal. They must have thought they could silence us forever. Instead we have become magnetic. Unstoppable. "

New-X-Men-132-page-B-e1400600959739-660x821.jpg
What issue was this?