• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

Since hanging up his Starfleet uniform, Frakes has primarily become a director rather than an actor, contributing to many projects, including most recently both Star Trek: Discovery and multiple episodes of the upcoming Picard show. But as Comicbook.com reports, speaking at Fan Expo Canada recently, Frakes revealed that the prospect of not just directing Patrick Stewart, but acting alongside him again, lead to some severe moments of stress for him:

I hadn't acted in a long, long, long time. I hadn't played Riker in 18 years, and I've been very fortunate to be busy directing. I acted briefly in a movie in Winnipeg about 10 years ago. And I had a major anxiety attack because, for whatever reason, I'd forgotten to act. I forgot how to act. I was not a pretty picture for a few hours. I got my shit together and ended up doing fine.
I had just directed two episodes of Picard with Sir Patrick and, as I said, his acting muscle was well-toned. And Marina [Sirtis, returning as Deanna Troi] had just closed having starred in a play in the West End in London. So, I knew she was going to be in good form. So, I was a nervous wreck. It ended up going very well. But don't let anybody tell you it's like getting back on a bike. That's bullshit. That's acting bullshit.

Star Trek: Picard hits CBS All Access early next year.

Hoping for a scene where he sits down

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That must be terrible. Glad he got through it, among friends probably helps a lot.

I hope he is sporting a beard.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda love this guy.

In related news, I had no idea he does the leg thing even as he's getting up from a chair! 14 seconds into the OP's clip!

Nov 2, 2017
As a formerly very good artist who stopped drawing for over a decade thanks to things like depression and work and such and just recently started again, agreed on all fronts. Not a bike. Art isn't a bike.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It will be great to see Number One again.
I kinda love this guy.

In related news, I had no idea he does the leg thing even as he's getting up from a chair! 14 seconds into the OP's clip!
Yeah, it's bananas. You don't notice it, and then when it's pointed out it's all you can think about during Riker Sits Down scenes.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Now just imagine if he showed up with no beard...
3e9eec7a9ea4250e4a31e8e908b4764a.jpg

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
He played Riker in 2005 right?

Not that it changes the story much since it was just one episode. I can definitely understand his anxiety. That's a long time away from acting and his costars have been somewhat active. I remember seeing Marina in "Titans".

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Now just imagine if he showed up with no beard...
3e9eec7a9ea4250e4a31e8e908b4764a.jpg
What if they intentionally obscure his face for all of Picard, so we never know whether or not he has a beard.

It could be like Enterprise's shadow man. A mystery for the ages.
He played Riker in 2005 right?

Not that it changes the story much since it was just one episode. I can definitely understand his anxiety. That's a long time away from acting and his coststars have been somewhat active. I remember seeing Marina in "Titans".
For the Enterprise finale you mean? That was like a two second scene, lol.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame his directing career fizzled out.

He had great success directing First Contact and Insurrection wasn't bad and still made money. Then he decided to direct ClockStoppers (2002) and Thunderbirds (2004). After that he kicked back to directing Librarian films and television episodes.

I thought he could have been a good film director.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
I'll cry if they get John De Lancie on this show too. It's a big old TNG reuinion party.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love Frakes, he seems like top man.

Feel bad for him having to go through that shit.

On a lighter note. Here are his commentaries for the two Treks he directed. They're very good, and he's a very funny and down to earth gent. Please give them your time.

And this one is him and Marina together. And it's fucking hilarious, just for every time she starts her sentence with "JOHNNY!" and then goes on for a bit. 🤣

Wish he did commentary tracks for all eps of tng. (and the eps of other treks he directed and appeared in)

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
That's good that he's comfortable expressing that but my brain read "Jonathan Frakes had attack" and I freaked out before my brain filled the rest in.

Picard is looking to be a great show.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Two Takes Frakes got nothin' to fear. I hope the show does him justice.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame his directing career fizzled out.

He had great success directing First Contact and Insurrection wasn't bad and still made money. Then he decided to direct ClockStoppers (2002) and Thunderbirds (2004). After that he kicked back to directing Librarian films and television episodes.

I thought he could have been a good film director.
He's been working non-stop as a director, though.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for a scene where he sits down

Yeah, it's bananas. You don't notice it, and then when it's pointed out it's all you can think about during Riker Sits Down scenes.
its nice to know that in the 24th century, proper back support is not really a thing anymore.
The way Frakes sat and stood were related to an old back injury he had. Here's the Reddit post on the topic, confirmed by Wil Wheaton.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like how he says he hasn't played Riker in 18 years because Frakes, like the rest of humanity, forgot that the Enterprise finale existed.