• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Console wars, history of similar behaviour
Seems like a good place to drop this :D
bx7lgrfc2j401.jpg

I don't think he's wrong or right, I think it's just a weird thing for a dev to say lol.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It also is a very questionable premise because with the exception of Playground these studios haven't exactly operated on the budgets studios like Naughty Dog work on before the MS acqusition. Wasteland 3 and Hellblade 2 are already proving how the extra funding is helping these studios to aim higher. Wasteland 2 to 3 feels like a 2 generation jump technically speaking. Of course We Happy Few is not as bold as The Last Of Us 2, it was also done with a fraction of its budget, manpower (and crunch).

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017

Correct. Terrible generation for MS's first party, and the first gen that I had no interest in any of their games. I hope it doesn't take two gens to get a better first party slate.

Yeah, what MS needs to convince me about is not the quality of their acquired studios but rather their management, and honestly I'm afraid it might not have change.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Aaaand the level of discussion in this thread has suddenly hit rock-bottom. Some of you people... wow.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
bx7lgrfc2j401.jpg

I don't think he's wrong or right, I think it's just a weird thing for a dev to say lol.

forests are admittedly a good enviroment to show off some gorgeous next gen art direction, i do hope that the "stereo-typical sony game" becomes defined by more biomes. I want to see more of that tropical island from uncharted 4, more things like the desserts of ac origins and uncharted 3

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason some of 'em aren't on the same level is simply because they didn't have the bigass budget that Sony could provide. Double Fine has put out too many classics NOT to be considered on the same level. Ninja Theory has been silently putting out classics (okay and DmC) for over a decade, on a decently sized ass budget, for over a decade. Obsidian has the same story. We really not gonna say the team behind Forza isn't crushing it compared to the team behind Gran Turismo?

I don't even play Xbone and have enjoyed almost all of the non-Naughty Dog (the games just aren't for me I respect em tho) 1st party Sony games that have come out this gen... but saying Microsoft doesn't have anyone on the same level's foolish.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
No he didn't said that. He said they have reached such level with many years of dedication and communication and you can't reach such level just acquiring new studios.
He said that none of the acquired studios are on the level of Sony's first party. Which is plain wrong. Sony is not only Santa Monica and ND, they have plenty of games with mediocre reception, sometimes they even release outright stinkers like Knack or finance disasters like Lair. They're not immune to mediocrity. And in light of that statements like his sound at the very least a little bit arrogant.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Why not celebrate that these studios now have financial security and that we will get more games from them instead? :)

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It also is a very questionable premise because with the exception of Playground these studios haven't exactly operated on the budgets studios like Naughty Dog work on before the MS acqusition. Wasteland 3 and Hellblade 2 are already proving how the extra funding is helping these studios to aim higher. Wasteland 2 to 3 feels like a 2 generation jump technically speaking. Of course We Happy Few is not as bold as The Last Of Us 2, it was also done with a fraction of its budget, manpower (and crunch).
The only reason some of 'em aren't on the same level is simply because they didn't have the bigass budget that Sony could provide. Double Fine has put out too many classics NOT to be considered on the same level. Ninja Theory has been silently putting out classics (okay and DmC) for over a decade, on a decently sized ass budget, for over a decade. Obsidian has the same story. We really not gonna say the team behind Forza isn't crushing it compared to the team behind Gran Turismo?

I don't even play Xbone and have enjoyed almost all of the non-Naughty Dog (the games just aren't for me I respect em tho) 1st party Sony games that have come out this gen... but saying Microsoft doesn't have anyone on the same level's foolish.

It's debatable that a higher budget automatically equals a higher likelihood of critical acclaim. Games like Halo 5, Gears 4, Gears 5, Sea of Thieves, Quantum Break, Ryse, Crackdown 3 and even many of the PS4's exclusives like Days Gone, The Order 1886, Death Stranding, multiplatform titles like Anthem etc, prove that a high budget doesn't mean you'll necessarily hit that top tier level of critical acclaim.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
He's right, Sony are only in the position they are with these studios due to continued nurturing and faith in their projects and staff during times of little return or delay.

Hope MS can do the same, especially with Ninja Theory. I feel like NT could be raised to industry leading levels with their ability.

Oct 27, 2017
And honestly Playground is one of the best studios in the world right now, period.

Serious opinion and question: I agree Playground is excellent, but at making racing games. And maybe I'm wrong, but making a racing game doesn't seem as complicated as making a third person action adventure game. You can iterate extremely easily with a racing game, all the content get transferred every time. They "just" have to make a great map, a few new cars (that they usually get from Turn 10), physic is already done (maybe tweaked a little bit) and that's kinda it? It's not to the level of iteration of FIFA but I'd say not extremely far.

When making a game like Last of Us or God of War, there is so much more going on and work involved. Story, motion capture, soundtrack (Forza Horizon soundtrack is just already public songs, correct?), complex combat systems, open-world, bosses, companion AI, and I could go on forever.

I am ready to take critics and counter arguments on what I've just said btw, so if anyone want to correct me go ahead.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
He said that none of the acquired studios are on the level of Sony's first party. Which is plain wrong. Sony is not only Santa Monica and ND, they have plenty of games with mediocre reception, sometimes they even release outright stinkers like Knack or finance disasters like Lair. They're not immune to mediocrity. And in light of that statements like his sound at the very least a little bit arrogant.
It's clear to the beginning you as many others want purposely to lead the discussion to this road. Honestly believe whatever you want and have a good life. He just express his opinion about such stuff and it s hard to disagree. I don't think he wanted downplay such studio but just express his point of views.

Last edited:

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but they have to start some where. I remember when Sony was putting out shit like Beyond the Beyond, 20 years later and their work and output cant be over looked.

Props to MS for heading in the right direction with their studios, now it will just come down to their talent within those studios, but even the talent have levels. In a few years we will be able to measure all of that from MS.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was because you included it, does other games like Gravity Rush, Astro Bot and tons more doesn't count? Do they have template? Or is it under Nintendo's kiddie games template? How about FPS? Are they under Xbox broshooters template?
Lol, I didn't make that picture dude - it's been around for a while.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this even a debate? They have Knack, aka the Mario killer. You know Mario that famous franchide

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The disrespect for Obsidian is disgusting.

Eh...Obsidian has always made some fun stuff but they've also always been a fairly niche developer. Even Outer Worlds had fairly limited appeal. Most Sony Studios games are huge mass appeal blockbusters.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I didn't make that picture dude - it's been around for a while.
So what was the point of your post? Clearly you are agreeing with the picture since you shared it? Or is just for the lulz, we don't take any jokes here lightly especially your avatar reminds me why we dont have an AC sequel. You've been warned by the anti fun police, do care not to repeat it again

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Exactly, but people prefer to platform warring (which is becoming annoying on Era lately)
It's nothing new, and unfortunately will go on for quite a long time I'm afraid.

But yeah, with the next "generation" approaching, things will get messy.

I of course wholeheartedly approve of elenarie post.

Instead of taking potshots, we should celebrate that these teams will get to work on new, hopefully cool projects.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I don't think what he's said is that controversial if people read beyond the headline.

No it's really not. Ninja Theory has the best chance of competing with Sony's big titles visually and let's face it, visuals are the big thing here. I have no doubt Obsidian can make just as good as games if not better but they do not specialize in visual showpieces.

The elephant in the room are the big studios that were already at Microsoft. Other than their racing games the rest need to really up their game. There is also a lot of promise on the newly created The Initiative.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Serious opinion and question: I agree Playground is excellent, but at making racing games. And maybe I'm wrong, but making a racing game doesn't seem as complicated as making a third person action adventure game. You can iterate extremely easily with a racing game, all the content get transferred every time. They "just" have to make a great map, a few new cars (that they usually get from Turn 10), physic is already done (maybe tweaked a little bit) and that's kinda it? It's not to the level of iteration of FIFA but I'd say not extremely far.

When making a game like Last of Us or God of War, there is so much more going on and work involved. Story, motion capture, soundtrack (Forza Horizon soundtrack is just already public songs, correct?), complex combat systems, open-world, bosses, companion AI, and I could go on forever.

I am ready to take critics and counter arguments on what I've just said btw, so if anyone want to correct me go ahead.

such a bad take lol

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's debatable that a higher budget automatically equals a higher likelihood of critical acclaim. Games like Halo 5, Gears 4, Gears 5, Sea of Thieves, Quantum Break, Ryse, and even many of the PS4's exclusives like Days Gone, The Order 1886, multiplatform titles like Anthem etc, prove that budget isn't everything.
I absolutely agree. Honestly if I heard that any of these newly-purchased studios' first microsoft-backed game was a giant AAA open world kinda game, I'd be aprehensive. Getting a blank check doesn't guarantee classics, but the way I'm seeing it is that it will alllow the creative talent behind each respective company to get the resources necessary to confidently create better, more polished, and maybe bigger games from them. Hell, Double Fine proved what you said with Broken Age. But there is potential within the Microsoft studios, and with them being backed by Microsoft, I expect to see some impressive things by the midpoint of the generation.

KirikaPirin

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Platform Warring; Numerous Prior Bans for Similar Behavior
bx7lgrfc2j401.jpg

Well, I mean now it's clear what Jonathan was trying to say.

ELdSa1mXkAALSAL.jpg:large

I think you shouldn't have used this argument in the first place.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what was the point of your post? Clearly you are agreeing with the picture since you shared it? Or is just for the lulz, we don't take any jokes here lightly especially your avatar reminds me why we dont have an AC sequel. You've been warned by the anti fun police, do care not to repeat it again
I do agree with it lol, I haven't been a fan of Sony's first party output this gen. But I think people are taking it way more seriously than was intended (hence the :D face I put in the post).

Also we're getting an AC sequel in March!

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Aaaand the level of discussion in this thread has suddenly hit rock-bottom. Some of you people... wow.

The premise of the discussion was rock bottom already.

It's literally an impossible statement to verify - for that to be possible, they'd have to make the same game with the same budget and see which is better. A lot of the studios MS acquired have been making smaller, more niche games. Meanwhile the tweet is obviously referring to bombastic cinematic third person adventures like God of War or Uncharted.

And to be honest, its also an incredibly disrespectful statement considering a lot of those studios were fighting to survive despite putting out excellent games like Kotor 2 or New Vegas. So yeah, the tweet just reads like console warrior-y garbage that invites toxicity in.

Status
Not open for further replies.