• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL OP you sure framed that thread title well. The rest of the tweet makes the whole thing a lot less console-warish.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
He's right. They'll get there though. Hopefully soon.

Thread title is console war bait trash though.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

In case anybody forgot where Naughty Dog started.

Personally I like what the newer teams have shown. Forza Horizon 3 was the best racing game since Gran Turismo 3. Gears UE, 4 and 5 have all been solid. And I love Hellblade.

Will all of their games be winners? Hell no. But they've put a lot of resources into these teams and we should all have high expectations going forwards.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Not yet, but they made some great choices in who to pick up and as the original tweet said, if given the right amount of support and money I totally believe they can get there. I believe Microsoft will do it too - It's not like Microsoft haven't done the same for The Coalition and 343 (mind you Halo and Gears are naturally *extremely* important to them).

I'm particularly looking forward to seeing what we get from Double Fine and Obsidian, assuming they want to work on big projects and Microsoft do give them loads of support and money.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Playground Games actually shits on the vast majority of studios out there...including Sony's

Why must everything shit on something else? The guy isn't talking about whether you personally enjoy X studio. Seriously, what is wrong with some of you that you respond with this immature nonsense? Playground got where they are through time and work just like the guy is saying.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
well, makes sense; I can imagine that it takes quite a few years to get to a certain level, no matter all the talent you acquire. But its not impossible, I think Kojima Productions is a good recent example (altough one could argue that DS doesnt reach 1st party content levels). But you cannot just put a bunch of people together and expect something that can rival a game from Naughty Dog or SSM. One of the hallmarks of first party studios is that they should get the time and budget to excel to produce games that are literally 'system sellers'. I do hope that MS succeeds tho, because more great content is always a win for everyone in the end.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally I can quote myself from another thread

Sony's studios had the chance to evolve and grow. Take Sucker Punch with Ghost of Tsushima and Guerilla Games with Horizon. This is really double standards to demand from Microsoft when they have just been acquired, had prior commitments to fulfill. Typical game development cycle last 3-5 years.
I don't think you understand what he is saying. And saying next-gen games looking more next-gen is hilarious.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Finally I can quote myself from another thread

Sony's studios had the chance to evolve and grow. Take Sucker Punch with Ghost of Tsushima and Guerilla Games with Horizon. This is really double standards to demand from Microsoft when they have just been acquired, had prior commitments to fulfill. Typical game development cycle last 3-5 years.

Your post makes no sense and makes huge assumptions. Where does he say that they should only make third person cinematic games? Where does ignore the studios growth? Just because they've made improvements doesn't mean they don't still have more room to grow. Also Hellblade II screams next-gen because IT IS LITERALLY a next-gen video game. No shit it looks more next gen. lol.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
It's not just time and money. MS should lead and guide them too without cramping their style, sorta like Shu did. Sony managed to reach a pretty consistent level of quality across their studios and their releases. Looking at Microsoft's efforts things look a lot more "uneven".

Angst72

Oct 27, 2017
Why must everything shit on something else? The guy isn't talking about whether you personally enjoy X studio. Seriously, what is wrong with some of you that you respond with this immature nonsense? Playground got where they are through time and work just like the guy is saying.
You know how it is. A good game is released and suddenly all other games feel like utter trash.

="J/K if not obvious"

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Unfortunately, he's right. Recognition is something that takes time, effort and trial and error. But it's better be sooner than latter.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Yeah almost every Sony studio seems to have really upped their talent this gen.

Guerilla, Santa Monica, Insomniac releasing Game of the Year contenders that all sold 10m+.

Polyphony making a robust online component which they were lacking before.

Sony Bend making a huge open world console game when they previously only worked on handhelds.

Japan studio making a VR killer app.

Media Molecule and Sucker Punch closing the generation next year with highly anticipated games that are expected to be their biggest game.

Naughty Dog being Naughty Dog.

They've really built something special thats gonna make it really difficult for a hardcore consumer to skip Playstation next gen.

Microsoft has a lot of catching up to do. I think they can start by letting 343 and Coalition do something other than Halo and Gears.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I kinda liked Shadow Falls SP despite the ending which left me ... head scratching.

Most of us hope so, but that must first be proven.

I remember finishing Shadow Falls and thinking that this could be the end of the series. It was bad. Absolutely gorgeous game, but it was bad. Which sucks because Killzone 2 and 3 both good (I enjoyed 3 more, even though I wanted to shoot Rico the entire time).

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say, at the very least, Playground are easily on that level. Hell, if they nail their RPG, I'd say they would stand well above any of either of the two's studios.

(and every studio is a least on the level of Bend)

Oct 25, 2017
He's not entirely wrong, but not entirely right either.

Not every Sony 1st party studio is Naughty Dog, you know. I'll take Ninja Theory over Sucker Punch, Guerrilla or Insomniac, for example, and I'm picking studios that made games I REALLY enjoy, like inFAMOUS 2, Horizon and A Crack in Time.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
First thought: he's not wrong.
Second thought: he kinda is.

The thing is, these studios were all independent and self-publishing or in a publisher model. We have no real way of knowing how they would do with sufficient funds and no harsh constraints to turn a profit. Maybe the weaker elements of their games were all due to this. So he's making an assertion without much substantiation.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He isn't wrong here. Sony first party has turned out tremendous games this gen. I do think Obsidian is that tier though. KOTOR 2, New Vegas and Alpha Protocol are tremendous games.

Both Forza studios have surpassed Sony's racing franchises and studios too. GT it's garbage now thanks to Forza Motorsport.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I remember finishing Shadow Falls and thinking that this could be the end of the series. It was bad. Absolutely gorgeous game, but it was bad. Which sucks because Killzone 2 and 3 both good (I enjoyed 3 more, even though I wanted to shoot Rico the entire time).
The first half is very good. But the game seems clearly rushed for the PS4 launch. It does explain why the second half is so inconsistent and scripted.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
What a fucking shitty thing to say on twitter. For one, they acquired talented studios. Moreover, those talented studios have made excellent games on a pretty restricted budget, so I am not even sure if he is correct. However, even if it IS true, and it might be, keep that to yourself. Or at least word it in a less dickish way.

Angst72

Oct 27, 2017
He isn't wrong here. Sony first party has turned out tremendous games this gen. I do think Obsidian is that tier though. KOTOR 2, New Vegas and Alpha Protocol are tremendous games.
I only played a little of kotor2 and all of New Vegas. I loved New Vegas, but for all it does right it could certainly do with lot of polish. I realize most of the jank was inherited from Bethesda's engine, but still.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS made some really good purchases. Obsidian, Double Fine and Ninja Theory are going to really help Microsoft. I am surprised they haven't made a bigger purchase though. The fact that Sony bought Insomniac when MS are the ones who are more in need of expansion is a bit surprising. Plus MS would do better buying in JP talent. Mistwalker and Level5 games seem like reasonable targets to go for.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Sucker punch released second son 3 years after Infamous 2, and 2 years after the DLC? They then did first light like a year later. Their next big game comes out next year.

So 2 titles in a shorter gen that are both extremely different. MEDIA MOLECULE released tearaway in 2012 then remastered it for PS4 released it in 2014 I believe, dreams i will say has been a pain for them. But seeing how the community seems to like it I FEEL it's been worth the wait.

A lot of the reasons are they had late PS3 games they put out. Which is why for Santa monica you only saw god of war in 2018.

I was referring to Rare and Media Molecule.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
What a fucking shitty thing to say on twitter. For one, they acquired talented studios. Moreover, those talented studios have made excellent games on a pretty restricted budget, so I am not even sure if he is correct. However, even if it IS true, and it might be, keep that to yourself. Or at least word it in a less dickish way.
Jeez, see every single time so many people outraging which barely care to read the whole twitter discussion, it's really frustrating.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Yeah I'm sure. That's why they are investing and building them up long term. What a ridiculous take

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The first half is very good. But the game seems clearly rushed for the PS4 launch. It does explain why the second half is so inconsistent and scripted.

Yeah I think they rushed it out at the door as show piece. To be fair, it was probably worth it. It was a pretty eye popping game for ads and such. Easily the best looking PS4 title for the time.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
He is blunt and also 100% correct. He's not even being critical. MS is on the right track. Hopefully they get there. What kind of pancake society do we live in where he has to verbally gyrate in order to not hurt feelings. I blame OP for trying to start something.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
First, I have a PhD and can read very well, thank you.

Second, this is not the language used between two grown-up's. Disappointing.

Third, what does make Sony's first party output so great in terms of anyone in this industry? Cinematic third-party action adventures, for the most part.

So, the real question is: With Microsoft going for a diversified approach with smaller and bigger games, from AA to AAA, serving many genres, as a strategic move. Can this equal to output 'as good as the Sony WW studios'? I don't know what the reference point of comparison is for Cooper. If we're just talking about good 85+ Metacritic, then I can tell you a number of games that are already there: Gears, Halo, Cuphead, Ori, Sunset Overdrive, Forza, Forza Horizon. Nonwithstanding that they need to get better at many things and that they are very much on it. They have acquired talent with a lot of experience in some of the industry's history, take Time Schaefer and Brian Fargo. They're growing all of their teams and have committed themselves to allow for more development time instead of rushing out releases.

So, again, what is the 'level of Sony WWW studios'? If anything, Cooper didn't make very clear what this means, it's not on me to do it.

Neither Halo 5 or Gears 5 are 85+ meta games, though they get very close. Insomniac isn't first party either, in fact, it's now owned by Sony. Likewise, Cuphead also isn't first party. If as you imply, your reading comprehension is strong, you'd know the tweet is specifically referencing first-party studio acquisitions and not exclusives in and of themselves.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
First, I have a PhD and can read very well, thank you.

Second, what does make Sony's first party output so great in terms of anyone in this industry? Cinematic third-party action adventures, for the most part. This is what everybody is talking about literally all the time.

So, the real question is: With Microsoft going for a diversified approach with smaller and bigger games, from AA to AAA, serving many genres, as a strategic move. Can this equal to output 'as good as the Sony WW studios'? I don't know what the reference point of comparison is for Cooper. If we're just talking about good 85+ Metacritic, then I can tell you a number of games that are already there: Gears, Halo, Cuphead, Ori, Sunset Overdrive, Forza, Forza Horizon. Nonwithstanding that they need to get better at many things and that they are very much on it. They have acquired talent with a lot of experience in some of the industry's history, take Time Schaefer and Brian Fargo. They're growing all of their teams and have committed themselves to allow for more development time instead of rushing out releases.

So, again, what is the 'level of Sony WWW studios'? If anything, Cooper didn't make very clear what this means, it's not on me to do it.

And yes, to judge 'not to be on the same level' after a few months under the Xbox Game Studios is unfair and unjustified.
Sure indeed post like this about Sony studios, are totally fair and justified for such discussion. Good Lord.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
How? So basically what he's saying is that those studios weren't anything special, to begin with? So Obsidian wasn't anything? Nor was Ninja Theory?

Get the heck outta here.

Oct 29, 2017
It took Sony over a decade before they finally started publishing true first party heavy hitters; even from the studios that they aqquired outright.

He's not wrong in what he's saying here. Microsoft will need a long time before these studios get up to speed, at the level of budget and manpower needed to compete within the AAA industry. Even with developers that have been around for a long time, they've never had to make games at the level of budget and scale of Sony's modern first party productions and there's a big culture shift that has to come with experience.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Polyphony Digital can deliver better next gen. They have had a very disappointing showing and with Turn 10 & Playground Games both releasing much stronger racing games consistently. Too bad Sony closed the studio that actually delivered this gens better Playstation racer.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Well, duh...

That's also one of the reasons, why i didnt get excited at all, when Microsoft bought all of those studios. Let's wait and see, if they can manage those studios properly, and help them get bettet and better.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
He makes a good point if you go beyond the headline, I don't think people would disagree with the notion that a shared culture strengthens studios.

Status
Not open for further replies.