• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I met Jonathan Blow at my first GDC in the late 2000s. Braid was in the indie showcase area. I played it, and wanted to compliment him on the mechanics. I approached him and said, "Hey man, just wanted to say I really enjoyed what I played. It's really good." and without missing a beat, not a hint of playfulness or sarcasm in his voice, he goes, "Yeah, I know."

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
"Be they left, right or something else entirely". Seriously, if there is any culture I'd cancel it's this "I'm unbiased" talk in which ignorant people like to play intelligent. If you don't have a positioning about shit, maybe act like it and be a vegetable, but know your place.

Verchod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's wasting his time. The people he's talking about will be too outraged to understand, thereby proving his point.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Holy shit he's arguing people can be sexist or racist as long as they are good at something.

Yeah like on top of just being horrendously inhumane, it's just flat out wrong. When those at the top of an industry do all they can to press out marginalized people, they're stifling orderers of magnitude more talent compared to "canceling" one particular dumbass

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We need more people like him!

That is, fuckheads auto-canceling themselves. It makes it easier for everyone.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Blow tries to cancel cancel culture by cancelling conferences that further cancel the cancelled.

Weird how this dumbass who repeatedly shows himself to be a dumbass keeps saying dumbass things.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I met Jonathan Blow at my first GDC in the late 2000s. Braid was in the indie showcase area. I played it, and wanted to compliment him on the mechanics. I approached him and said, "Hey man, just wanted to say I really enjoyed what I played. It's really good." and without missing a beat, not a hint of playfulness or sarcasm in his voice, he goes, "Yeah, I know."

This is literally the most believable thing I have ever read on the internet.

It sucks, because I absolutely fucking love Braid. Like, at this point probably my favorite game of last gen. I was so excited at the Braid HD announcement. But, then he has to pop back up to remind me he is an ass.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
For several years now I've felt this dude is an asshole. Nothing about this surprises me.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody will miss you or your pseudo-intellectualism malarkey at literally any conference, Blow. What a pathetically weak "threat" that is.

Also, stop showing your ass to the Internet, dude. We get it. You suck. Go back into your hole of obscurity.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
The Indie King of Conferences has spoken:

This is so well said. I've been thinking if he got as angry at the marginalized voices that were silenced or want to be silenced by the people he's defending having a stage then we'd be in a better place.

What about all the voices already silenced, or that don't get to put their perspective out there. We already know what this racist asshole thinks, he doesn't have the same ground as everyone else. Debating every single idea as valid just validates and empowers evil and shitty ideas. People like Blow excuse hatred at the possibility of their own empowerment through other means, so selfish they don't care about things that don't affect themselves. Racist coworker? Nazi Engineer? Well they have good ideas so let's not discount them all because he believes in a fascist state built on ethnic power. He's nice to me that is so his liberty should be protected at all cost, but the safety and well being of the people being oppressed don't. They should learn to be accepting so I can continue to prosper undisturbed.

Everybody always so worried about the fascists, why can't we have growth at their expense, if they put themselves as the enemy of it?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My word. That man is an insufferable cunt.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Ask everyone who hasn't been canceled after poor decisions.

I've made a slew of shitty decisions. But each has been a lesson and I've grown from them. I have a hunch you're in the exact same boat, given that we all make mistakes.

The important thing you're missing when it comes to mistakes is having the self-awareness to realize you're making one and exhibiting effort to change. Guess who is not able to do this? Jonathan Blow.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Jonathan Blow doesn't have anything interesting to say anyways. His games are boring and derivative and about as interesting as playing the puzzles in the back of a newspaper.

Other than that, when he talks about games all his criticisms are purposely obtuse, shallow and whiney. If it isn't something made by him all he does is pisses (only not in a jar this time!) and whinge. He talks about games the same way I did when I was 8 years old.

Sucks though because if he isn't going to conferences anymore then where is he going to find parks to do Tai Chi in and show other Indies how much deeper and smarter he is than them?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, was he wrong? It was a fantastic game, still is. He obviously has no social skills but his brain make all of us look stupid.

yc62k

Mar 7, 2019
I mean, was he wrong? It was a fantastic game, still is. He obviously has no social skills but his brain make all of us look stupid.

No one is arguing that he's wrong, it's just an insanely conceited thing to say, and very abrasive and rude to say that to someone who took the time out to go and compliment your game.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Let's pump the brakes on "his brain makes all of us look stupid". He's extremely talented at game development, but he's stupid enough to take an anti-cancel culture stance publicly on Twitter. You can be intelligent in some ways of thinking, and a complete moron in others.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
No one is arguing that he's wrong, it's just an insanely conceited thing to say, and very abrasive and rude to say that to someone who took the time out to go and compliment your game.
Yeah he's clearly full of himself and as I said, he has no social skills, same as that guy who made Fez, and Sweeny, and Notch. I guess some people wasn't meant to socialize with the rest of us, should just stay in the back and keep coding awesome things and only open their mouth to sip some coffee so they can code some more :p
The only clever guy I actually enjoy listening to is Carmack. He comes off as a polite genius.

Apr 20, 2020
What did Jonathan Blow do?

Mmmyeah this kind of thing is where my credulity that someone is arguing in good faith ends

To be the most charitable possible, this poster may not realize that asking for proof/evidence at this point in the conversation is the most basic crypto-fascist rhetorical tactic

No proof or evidence will be sufficient and it's intended to exhaust those who take it at face value

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah he's clearly full of himself and as I said, he has no social skills, same as that guy who made Fez, and Sweeny, and Notch. I guess some people wasn't meant to socialize with the rest of us, should just stay in the back and keep coding awesome things and only open their mouth to sip some coffee so they can code some more :p
The only clever guy I actually enjoy listening to is Carmack. He comes off as a polite genius.
Oh don't worry Carmack says plenty of dumb shit himself
Read the whole thread for a "fun" read

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
You can be intelligent in some ways of thinking, and a complete moron in others.

After seeing Blow repeatedly embarrass himself with his rhetoric I'm more than ever convinced of this. Zero social skills and an embarrassingly limited world view, we're better off without Blows social commentary. Stay buried.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that stuff about women in programming and preserving the feelings of bigots with valuable skills is rough as hell. Good riddance man, please convince some of your friends to cancel themselves, too.