• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
DG0NQGhUIAAcRFL

Not only is Jonathan Blow sexist but he's not succinct either. Those are a lot of words to say women belong in the kitchen.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Guy that acted like an arsehole for years turns out to be a huge arsehole. I'm glad I never defended this horrible person.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
My company adores Martin and his Clean Code book. Every new hire is supposed to read it.
I wonder what would happen if I posted his shitty tweets in our internal chat..

Nov 14, 2017
For those who don't recognize the name, Jonathan Blow is the creator of two of some of the most acclaimed indie games of their time, Braid and The Witness. While I think opinions on Braid have lowered a bit over the years (Mario but Sad), I still see The Witness being held up as a marvel of immersive puzzle game design years after the fact.

Mr. Blow is also a piece of shit, a fact that I feel gets glossed over a bit because of the high praise for the previously mentioned titles. People start to realize this any time they hear him speak after a while, considering the only tone he seems to know is condescending, but this is underscored by the time he tried to argue women were biologically less interested in tech than men, equated anti-fascism with terrorism, and currently noted by him tweeting COVID19 conspiracy theories.
This is unfortunately common behaviour among those who possess intelligence but lack humility. Just because he's a skilled and talented developer he then has the hubris to assume that he can just think his way through other fields and be correct.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Cancel culture isn't a real thing. If people are removed from events it's because the people running them no longer wish to let someone take part due to that person's actions.

In this case, Blow is defending the actions of horrible people and protesting against their removal. However, he won't be removed from events because no one is inviting him to any.

Ecks

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
isn't insisting people/conferences never change therefore he never will speak at them, exactly what he criticizes in cancel culture? Great logic J-Blow.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Also, how the fuck can the person who created The Witness be so stupid that he cannot see the irony in engaging in cancel culture to battle cancel culture?

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
The only point I'd leverage in Blow's favor is that conferences in general should do some goddamned research BEFORE inviting speakers, and implement policies that make clear what your overall advocacy path is in the event that someone shows their ass well after the fact. The cycle described here—invite, learn about regressive behavior, disinvite—may be better than putting bad-faith arguments on a pedestal, but it's still a mess.

For example, maybe they keep the standing invite for a person with dated or regressive views while also clarifying a percentage of speakers and topics that revolve around recognizing and undoing long-standing tech biases.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This guy continues to blow.

I'm starting to think Braid was a fluke.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I think this dude is smart on a very narrow range of topics and I like both of his games a lot, but he is such an embarrassing goofball in every other respect. Honestly it feels like the Witness was made by someone completely different and a hundred times more thoughtful than the person he comes across as on twitter

Only tangentially related but I also don't think I've seen any public figure who likes Elon Musk as much as him

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
It's actually fascinating thinking back on Indie Game: The Movie and seeing where all of these people ended up.

Edmund McMillen burned out and nearly quit the industry, seemingly never able to replicate the success of either Super Meat Boy or Binding of Isaac (until he seemingly found his passion again recently).

Phil Fish got pushed out of the industry by being an abrasive figure that got targeted by Gamergate and forced out out of concern for his own well being.

And Jonathan Blow is now trying to self-implode out of the industry by trying to be the biggest piece of shit he can.

Only tangentially related but I also don't think I've seen any public figure who likes Elon Musk as much as him

It's actually immensely related. It shows exactly how Blow views the world and everyone's place in it.

These technological geniuses, like himself and Musk (lol), are trying to save humanity, and he feels that people trying to take them down over trivial things like "racism" are doing more ultimate harm than good. That they should be able to do their work unimpeded, while also being able to spout these kind of opinions unchallenged.

Essentially, if you can prove you are "good" at something, you should be excused for everything else you do.