• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA

www.shacknews.com

7-time Classic Tetris World Champion Jonas Neubauer dies at age 38

A giant in esports has left us, as seven-time Classic Tetris World Championship Jonas Neubauer has passed away.

Dude was a big reason classic Tetris started bubbling up as a big deal in recent years, including airings on the likes of ESPN2. RIP. Heart's out to his wife Heather Ito, a world-champion Dr. Mario player.

EDIT: According to BSG4000, a classic Tetris player, Jonas passed on Tuesday of this week. No clarity on what exactly happened beyond what's been posted at his Twitter.

Last edited:

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
WHAT THE FUCK. I would watch him stream all the time. I can't believe this. He's a legend. This is so horrible. He was ALWAYS streaming with his wife who plays Dr. Mario. RIP

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, I just rewatched that Jonas/Joseph Saelee 2018 finals set last week. So good.

RIP Jonas, and condolences to his family and friends. :(

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't like how this year is starting šŸ˜” he will be missed!

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Fuuuuuuuuuck really?

My mother and I (she's 50, I'm 30) have been playing Tetris together since I was 3, every holiday, every birthday, everything in between while I still lived there. Every hurricane where we were huddled in the house hoping our windows wouldn't bust out and floods wouldn't flood, Tetris. Every surgery either of us had for whatever reason, we were there, either playing Tetris or once Youtube became a thing, watching Tetris when one of us couldn't play because of the surgeries or whatever other reason. Jonas was one of the ones we liked.

Fuck.

2021 can go fuck itself. This decade is off to a rough start.

My biggest blessings to his family. I'll send them a prayer tonight.

Fucking hell.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
This hurts. I loved watching him, he was such a kind and caring guy, such an amazing community leader. RIP.

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
Jaw literally dropped when I saw this headline, holy crap. What a great and graceful guy. Far too soon.

name the CTWC trophy after him please

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
Rest In Peace

If you've ever watched his streams or seen his matches at CTWC, you'll know he was an amaizing player and ambassador for the sport. He was incredibly personable and beloved by his peers.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Damn, I watch him on Twitch occasionally, he usually streams with his wife, and both seemed like great people.

I'm honestly shocked by this news, doesn't feel real.

silverhick

Oct 25, 2017
This is unbelievably so sad and shocking. I feel so bad for Heather. They seemed so happy together. 100% Legend.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, this is so sad. He was such an amazing player and seemed like a total class act and all around great guy. A huge loss for the Tetris community and competitive gaming in general.

Goosenman

Nov 6, 2017
Saw a few of his videos, and what got me was how gracious he was in defeat. Seemed a really, really good guy.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
What the fuck. Classic Tetris is one of the chillest e-sports, and he seemed like one of the nicest people of an already great community.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
RIP. I didnt follow the scene but I knew of his legend. This is awful

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
This is awful news. I've only watched a bit of competitive Tetris on YouTube to see what it was like, and I distinctly remember the commentator calling, "Tetris for Jonas!" He also seemed like a great sport from what I saw and what others here have said.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed watching his streams with his wife, who is also really good at Tetris. They were such a wholesome couple, always happy and positive and a joy to watch. This sucks.

Ignacious

Dec 17, 2017
Pardon the ramblings of a sad friend.

Jonas was one of my best friends. We became friends in 6th grade and have been close ever since. I think I'm still in denial at this stage even though it's been a few days since I was notified of his passing. He was perhaps the kindest, most humble person I've known, despite his accomplishments. He had a completely positive attitude in everything he took on. So many gaming communities can be toxic, but the Classic Tetris community that he had a major part in building is such a positive community, I believe in large part because of the example that he set by being an early leader and voice in it.

This is so hard to process as I've been lucky up to this point in my life having not experienced the loss of a loved one until now.

Friends typically have moments in life when they have disagreements, they get angry at one another, maybe don't talk to each other for a while. I don't remember any such instance between Jonas and I in the almost 30 years I knew him, which speaks more to the strength of his character than mine.

His impact was outsized and he left a positive mark in the world in his (too short) time here. I'll always cherish the happy memories he left me with, like my wedding day here:

UEagQwL.jpg

I weep for his wife, who is an equally great person. I weep for the rest of his family.

Rest in peace, my friend. I love you and I'll miss you.

"Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels... his was the most... Human."

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017

Jonas was one of my best friends. We became friends in 6th grade and have been close ever since. I think I'm still in denial at this stage even though it's been a few days since I was notified of his passing. He was perhaps the kindest, most humble person I've known, despite his accomplishments. He had a completely positive attitude in everything he took on. So many gaming communities can be toxic, but the Classic Tetris community that he had a major part in building is such a positive community, I believe in large part because of the example that he set by being an early leader and voice in it.

This is so hard to process as I've been lucky up to this point in my life having not experienced the loss of a loved one until now.

Friends typically have moments in life when they have disagreements, they get angry at one another, maybe don't talk to each other for a while. I don't remember any such instance between Jonas and I in the almost 30 years I knew him, which speaks more to the strength of his character than mine.

His impact was outsized and he left a positive mark in the world in his (too short) time here. I'll always cherish the happy memories he left me with, like my wedding day here:

UEagQwL.jpg

I weep for his wife, who is an equally great person. I weep for the rest of his family.

"Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels... his was the most... Human."

I'm sorry for your loss man, he sounded like a wonderful person.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
wtf? Holy shit this is so sad, outta nowhere. RIP. Feels like we've had far too many people taken before their time in the gaming community recently

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017

UEagQwL.jpg

A wonderful tribute. Thank you for sharing.

Handicapped Duck

ā–² Legend ā–²
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds

UEagQwL.jpg

Thank you for sharing, my condolences for losing such a good friend. Jonas sounds like a great person, RIP.

Se_t

Apr 14, 2020
Reactivated my account just to say thanks for showing me Tetris with your wife... it's such a young age to go. I didn't know you that well but you felt like a really nice person and you helped putting Tetris on the spotlight.

This is a really sad news and I wish it wasn't true. Courage to you Heather, we will never forget him. Lots of love ā¤

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

UEagQwL.jpg

Sorry for your loss, condolences to you and Jonas's family.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
It's so incredibly sad. I've been watching him and his wife stream for years now. 39 is so young and him and his wife had just moved as well.

He was such a nice person and just really cared about everyone he interacted with.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That is far too young for such a positive souk to go. Horrible. Thanks for sharing that tribute Ignacious , I'm sorry for your loss and what you're going through. Likewise to his wife, friends and all those that loved and knew him.