• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I dunno, I kinda think I like it when LGR does the Duke voice better, hehe.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Without you, my life is as empty as a supermarket shelf. Lol, okay that was funny.

Oct 27, 2017
I need more Duke games. Whatever dark gods I will have to sacrifice Cawadoody, Halo and Battlefield to for Duke to return, I will do it.

Oct 27, 2017
They'd have to make it a whole lot less sexist etc, kind of like what they did with Shadow Warrior

I was actually just thinking of that. I don't think they'd necessarily have to tone down the hypermacho testosterone-laden 80s action star sexism as long as they kept it at Duke 3D levels (Duke Forever took it a little too far), but they'd have to give his personality a little context to make people understand what Duke is meant to parody. Old farts like me who've seen Evil Dead, They Live, Rambo, Predator, Commando etc. will get the schtick about Duke being an over the top parody of 80s action heroes. But for younger gamers who might not see Duke based on that cultural context, they'd have to give some context of who and what he's meant to be a parody of.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
They'd have to make it a whole lot less sexist etc, kind of like what they did with Shadow Warrior

I think there is a way to bring Duke back and have him work with today's better sensibilities under a different kind of context. For example, using Duke as a way to tell a story with an anti-toxic-masculinity message could potentially be very good. But you need the right writers to do that.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I think there is a way to bring Duke back and have him work with today's better sensibilities under a different kind of context. For example, using Duke as a way to tell a story with an anti-toxic-masculinity message could potentially be very good. But you need the right writers to do that.

I never expected God of War to be as good and different as it was, so its not impossible.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

It's definitely possible to bring him back under a different context and I hope it happens.

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. Many problematic characters can be updated for modern times. And in some cases, that can be used to tell a certain message.

Problem is, by updating Duke like that I think the devs would risk driving off large portions of the original fanbase, and I'm not so sure there'd be a lot of new fans to replace them if that happened.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Problem is, by updating Duke like that I think the devs would risk driving off large portions of the original fanbase, and I'm not so sure there'd be a lot of new fans to replace them if that happened.

I don't believe there is a "Duke fanbase." It's an old IP that most people don't care about. I think the only way to bring attention to it is to do something different with it.

Just making another Duke game as they were previously would be a failure. There is no way that releasing a new sexist Duke game works today.

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
Those were way better then I expected. Thanks for the laugh Jon St. John. I definitely needed it right now.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe there is a "Duke fanbase." It's an old IP that most people don't care about. I think the only way to bring attention to it is to do something different with it.

Just making another Duke game as they were previously would be a failure. There is no way that releasing a new sexist Duke game works today.

Mmmm, I dunno. Like I posted further up, I think Duke can work as long as there's given some context to who and what he's a parody of, considering Duke is a product of a very specific period in time. Personally I'm a fan of Duke as he is, but then again I grew up on the kind of media he's a parody of and I get the joke behind his persona. I wouldn't have bought a Duke game that tried to change who and what Duke is, that wouldn't have appealed to me at all.