• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Does this win mean the democrats control all levels of government? Presidency, Senate, and House? I know the Supreme Court is a bit Trumpy, am I missing something else?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does this win mean the democrats control all levels of government? Presidency, Senate, and House? I know the Supreme Court is a bit Trumpy, am I missing something else?
Other than the supreme court, as you said, yes. Senate is very slim, though, so they're bottlenecked by blue dogs.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
How there's not a grainy video from 2004 of him doing a bottle bong I don't know. impressive political acumen from a young age.

maybe I missed it

Rats

Oct 25, 2017

Sort of. The margin in the Senate is razor-thin, and Senate rules + Joe Manchin mean that this isn't exactly carte blanche to enact progressive policy.

But it's much, much better than it could have been. McConnell is no longer Majority Leader, which is a massive victory in and of itself.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
hope we can get some of the more conservative Dems like Joe Manchin on our side. Puerto Rico needs statehood. I do not want another Obama first term where they fought against a modern healthcare system.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Sort of. The margin in the Senate is razor-thin, and Senate rules + Joe Manchin mean that this isn't exactly carte blanche to enact progressive policy.

But it's much, much better than it could have been. McConnell is no longer Majority Leader, which is a massive victory in and of itself.

The fact that Democrats will actually be able to bring stuff up for a vote, and tie names to votes on specific pieces of proposed legislation in itself will be huge. Mitch isn't going to be able to insulate his Senators from being against popular ideas anymore.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Then Democrats are simply the least worst option.

Any caucus is only as powerful as its deciding vote. The majority of Democrats support increased healthcare, and a significant amount support singlepayer. But a significant amount of Democrats are not the majority of seats in the House and Senate.

This is the calculus. Call your Republican congresspeople if you feel they are more amenable, or vote them out. Same with any Democrats who don't support single payer.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
83a2ee1f4a0590cb1500c9af01caff43
Very here for this photo.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ossoff is anime and Warnock is talking Poggers. Georgia definitely came through and elected some awesome senators.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
dems sweeping GA might've saved this damn country. this is so crazy esp with what happened today.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
Ossoff is anime and Warnock is talking Poggers. Georgia definitely came through and elected some awesome senators.
Ossoff helped mobilize youth and Jewish voters, while Warnock obviously helped supercharge the black vote. It was a good combination to run together. And they were both close with John Lewis.

resonance

Oct 28, 2017
Senate still need 60 to pass bill right? Are there 10 R senators willingly to play ball?

Yeah, Dems need 10 Rs to overcome a filibuster. Unfortunately there are very, very few bills they could realistically expect 10 Republican yes votes on. So unless the filibuster is removed, everything Dems want to do will have to be crammed into the two budget reconciliation bills they get before the 2022 midterms.

On the other hand, since the filibuster is already gone for federal judge nominations, Biden can freely appoint judges to fill any vacancy that comes up over the next two years and each one will be confirmed on a party-line vote. Ditto for his cabinet.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Senate still need 60 to pass bill right? Are there 10 R senators willingly to play ball?

Filibuster rules can be modified by a simple majority vote.

I don't expect them to completely nuke the filibuster, but yes if they don't change anything about how and when it's used they won't get anything through the Senate without 60 votes. This isn't Obama's first term anymore we and the Democratic Senators know the game the Republican Senators will try. So the Dems better at least do something.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So happy... Though goddamn those treasonous scum really killed my buzz today

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The terrorists at the capitol really dampened my mood, but you gotta celebrate the wins, especially one as significant as this. Great job Georgia!!!

SENATE MINORITY LEADER MITCH MCCONNELL

Last edited:

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
Despite all of the drama today, I just wanted to say - well done Georgia.