• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Jon Cartwright, Resetera's own Jonneh, is sadly leaving GameXplain. He posted this last night but I haven't seen a thread on it yet:

I had a feeling that this was coming but it still stings. Jon brings a calming, friendly and thoughtful presence to every GameXplain discussion he partakes in. Not only are his booming voice and laugh quite infectious, but his awareness and knowledge of the game industry is vast and quite respectable.

He's also really god damn funny. My girlfriend and I use his review scale all the time. "Zelda Breath of the Wild is an incredible experience that makes you never want to stop playing...but you can't pet the dog, so it's a bad game" or reviewing a disappointing game "but you can pet the dog, so it's a good game".
He also has some great content on his solo channel. He did an adorable game of Animal Crossing hide-and-seek with Scott the Woz and Antdude, does some excellent video game music quizzes with other well-known YouTubers and ...froggy chair!

I'll miss hearing him in GX discussion videos and on the GX Real Talk podcast but I look forward to following him in his next endeavor.

Best of luck Jon!

BTW - GameXplain is awesome. Andre Segers is what brought me to the channel, guy has some pretty brilliant ideas for games and his insane trailer breakdowns are incredible, Ash Paulsen being the Mega Man/Chrono/Final Fantasy homeboy of refined taste, Tom's creative dry wit and Derrick's astute analytical observations all make for great listening. Def check them out.

Last edited:

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite of the GX crew. He will be missed, and I wish him the best of luck on his endeavors.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Seems like he's leaving on good terms (to the surprise of nobody) given how the other GameXplain members are reacting, but here's to the best on Jon's future endeavors.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I usually don't comment on industry personalities, but Jon is a good human being. Dude radiates love for this hobby and love for everyone around him. If only everyone on the internet were so kind! I wish him the best of success, and I'm sure he will find success wherever he goes. :-)

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Ah man, that's unfortunate. Best of luck to you, hope you'll continue to do what you do best.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Damn I'm gonna miss Jon on the GX crew. :( He really livened up discussions and put out great videos. Best of luck to the GX folks and Jon's future endeavors though!

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Found out in the Direct thread and inmediately went to check the twitter post, sad to see him go tbh.

OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I usually don't comment on industry personalities, but Jon is a good human being. Dude radiates love for this hobby and love for everyone around him. If only everyone on the internet were so kind! I wish him the best of success, and I'm sure he will find success wherever he goes. :-)
Well said, that's exactly what pushed me to make this thread. He's a guy that you just want to root for.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Damn, Kyle Bosman leaving EZA and now Jon leaving GameXplain, this year really is the worst =(

Wish him all the best, he was a really good addition to the crew.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Commented in the Direct Speculation thread about this but was shocked to learn he's only 25. I'm somehow older than the guy, which scares me in ways I can't quite explain.

Wishing him all the best on his future endeavours though!

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I wonder what he's doing next though, doubt you'd just quit your job for your kid without making money.

Not for me to speculate though of course, wish him well!

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Love gamexplain and Jon's been great there. I hope his future work goes well. I don't see a reason why's he leaving, so I'm wondering what he plans to do next? Is he trying to start up his own channel? Was he given a better offer by someone else? Or is he moving to a new job entirely? Whatever the case I wish him luck, but it'd be cool to know

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Jon quickly became my favorite of the GameXplain crew. His quirky personality and deep voice really made his content shine. Whatever he pursues next, I'm sure he'll do great things.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like he's moving onto something better or trying up figure out what he wants to do long term for a career. Good luck in your future Jon.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Too bad. I like his voice. I never imagined he looked like that with that voice, but he was great. It's also great that they are expanding to more news other than just Nintendo.

OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Too bad. I like his voice. I never imagined he looked like that with that voice, but he was great. It's also great that they are expanding to more news other than just Nintendo.
Oh man seriously, I was borderline upset when he was revealed to be handsome.

I didn't hear the GX announcement over a directional shift in news coverage, that's interesting. I liked that they were one of the few gaming resources during the Wii U era to have genuine enthusiasm for Nintendo but with the Switch's success it hasn't been quite as trendy to make fun of Nintendo as it used to be.

This also must be a tough year for GX with so little going on at Nintendo. Derrick has joked that he has been appreciating the breaks that Nintendo is giving them but it has to be frustrating. Def noticed an increase in their XBox and Sony coverage over the past year+ so I suppose it makes sense.

Where do I apply? haha

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Oh man seriously, I was borderline upset when he was revealed to be handsome.

I didn't hear the GX announcement over a directional shift in news coverage, that's interesting. I liked that they were one of the few gaming resources during the Wii U era to have genuine enthusiasm for Nintendo but with the Switch's success it hasn't been quite as trendy to make fun of Nintendo as it used to be.

This also must be a tough year for GX with so little going on at Nintendo. Derrick has joked that he has been appreciating the breaks that Nintendo is giving them but it has to be frustrating. Def noticed an increase in their XBox and Sony coverage over the past year+ so I suppose it makes sense.

Where do I apply? haha

Jon will be missed for sure, will follow what he does next.

SpiderLink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not familiar with this fellow or the channel, so I want to thank you for providing all this context.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Is he the guy that says popular like poplar? To me that is the voice of gamexplain.

Ant

Oct 27, 2017
Literally any GameExplain video pops up on my YT feed I am always hoping inside it is Jon voicing the video. He has such a nice voiceover and generally seems like a good guy. Won't be the same! Good luck Jon!

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Thanks for the kind words everyone, I've still got a few weeks left so hopefully I can put out a couple of meaningful videos in that time. It's hard to let go but my time at GX has changed me for the better

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the kind words everyone, I've still got a few weeks left so hopefully I can put out a couple of meaningful videos in that time. It's hard to let go but my time at GX has changed me for the better
good luck on what ever you decide to do next! thanks for all the entertainment there!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Best of luck, Jon.

(This is not how I expected Game Club's Danganronpa playthrough to end.)

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Any hint for us on your future endeavours?

Sega hired you for PuyoPuyo Panel de Pon?!

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Just bumping the thread to show that Jon did an interview with WCCFTech about the industry, his time with Gamexplain, and more! Thank you so much for all you did, Jon, you'll be missed!

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Thanks so much everyone! Got a ton of ideas I want to get out there fairly soon :) I'll also be assisting with other sites across the network

Ant

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats Jonneh ! Love your content, hope everything goes well with the little one when they arrive!

OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Huge get for NL! Congrats Jonneh !

Great get! I've watched some of NL's youtube stuff but do they have a regular podcast? If so, consider me a new regular listener.

Jon also did a really wholesome hang out stream last night. It's mostly him interacting with the chat, talking about why he left GX and playing various underrated Wii U games...and Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. It's a cozy little video, I recommend giving it a watch.