• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
IpHu8p5.gif

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god, this time, this time the movie will actually cause unimaginable chaos and destruction

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What better Scorsese film are they going to mimic next? I hope it's a mix of HUGO and Passion of Christ.
(EDIT: My snark was trash, I got the wrong Jesus film: The Last Temptation of Christ is the one I was after)

Last edited:

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
Per the article, I think Batman's inclusion has already been shot down. The sequel will likely just focus on Arthur. Plus I don't think Matt Reeves wants any confusion while he works on his trilogy.

It is interesting Philips suggested a whole elseworld movie label but was shot down. Tho in addition to the joker sequel they gave him another character to develop. The article mentions luthor and that could be cool. Makes sense with something smaller scale. But they also mention darkseid as a possibility which makes me think the author of the article doesn't know what they are talking about lol.

First movie was lightning in a bottle. I didn't like the idea of this movie when it was announced but joker really won me over. Phoenix was incredible. We'll see how the sequel develops.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So after all the dust has settled, is it worth watching?

Yeah, defo. I say that as someone who is pretty middling on it too.

It is a little mean-spirited and it certainly doesn't have nearly as thoughtful a social commentary as it thinks it does, but it is overall pretty good.

Phoenix and whoever did the score are worth the price of admission alone. Really elevated the whole film.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
source.gif

Not sure what to think of this. Joker was an amazing film, but the thing that made it amazing was that it was a great rendition of one of Joker's many origin stories. Through Phoenix's masterclass performance we've already learnt who Arthur is, what his condition and personal situation was, how he was struggling, and what finally gave him the push to become the Joker. That's the origin story, and now they want to expand on it for a "regular" Joker film? Not really sure how to feel about that.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
When someone works so very hard to position themselves as the auteur behind the most artistic comic book film ever, only to follow up with the most commercial move imaginable.

Oct 25, 2017
Really liked the first and therefore I'd certainly watch a sequel. However I don't feel like this is a movie that needs a sequel and might be better left alone, so I'm of two minds on the topic. I wont say no but it isnt an enthusiastic yes, either. I'm hesitant.
I might be intrigued if this sequel acts as a bridge to the new batman but that seems unlikely considering the goals of the first one.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
"He proposed an outsized idea — the rights to develop a portfolio of DC characters' origin stories."

7 movies for 7 origins! All building to one super villain team up.

Joker of course was a product of a society that rewards greed and fucks over the poor in pursuit of it.

Penguin is a gluttonous product of an eating disorder

Catwoman is just her lustful Year One origin.

Twoface a product of wrath at a broken justice system

Riddler was a daily riddle columnist who couldn't take the damage to his pride when society started harshly criticizing his witk

Hush is a product of letting his envy for Bruce drive him insane

Mister Freeze is retooled as a mad scientist who is too lazy and slothful at home (think 50s abusive husband) so his wife leaves him but he freezes her instead so he'll never be alone.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can't just make a billion dollar movie these days and not make a sequel.

I enjoyed the film for what it was (someone here coined it a Scorsese cosplay). But I can't imagine a traditional sequel being very interesting. Curious to see what they do with it.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
The directing was one of the weakest parts of the movie and the movie was 90% carried by Joaquin's performance (which was great!) and I'd love to see how he continues Joker's arc.

So reaction from me is mixed.

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legends say that for every billion your movie makes you have to make a sequel for it.

That's why Avatar is getting like 3 sequels.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Funny how money changes things. They went from saying "one and done" to suddenly "sequel is happening"

Just hope they have something good planned for the sequel and aren't doing it just because it made lots of money. It definitely felt like it didn't need a sequel and it will be a hard film to top.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, why?

I liked the movie, but it works as a stand alone movie.

Also can't wait for gritty Lex Luthor origin movie.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I'd like to see them take a stab at adapting Azzarello/Bermejo's Joker stuff, a more street-level look at Joker himself and his goons. I think having Arthur surrounded by people even more hapless than he is and somehow managing to rise to the top of Gotham's criminal element almost in spite of himself could work. Joker himself wouldn't really be the one doing the work, it'd be his goons and the power of belief and fear of the guy who's actually a bit of a putz but good at putting on a false face and acting the part.

And then, you could proceed if you wanted with the idea of the Joker being more than one man.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
7 movies for 7 origins! All building to one super villain team up.

Joker of course was a product of a society that rewards greed and fucks over the poor in pursuit of it.

Penguin is a gluttonous product of an eating disorder

Catwoman is just her lustful Year One origin.

Twoface a product of wrath at a broken justice system

Riddler was a daily riddle columnist who couldn't take the damage to his pride when society started harshly criticizing his witk

Hush is a product of letting his envy for Bruce drive him insane

Mister Freeze is retooled as a mad scientist who is too lazy and slothful at home (think 50s abusive husband) so his wife leaves him but he freezes her instead so he'll never be alone.
Uhhh...the article mentions only one movie besides the joker sequel. A good chunk of those characters will be in Reeves' batman, so likely off the table for now. I'd imagine Reeves will also have his own version of joker eventually as this one isn't connecting to anything.

So...

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure where this will go but I loved the first film and this version of Joker, so I'm in.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh...the article mentions only one movie besides the joker sequel. A good chunk of those characters will be in Reeves' batman, so likely off the table for now. I'd imagine Reeves will also have his own version of joker eventually as this one isn't connecting to anything.

So...

Well my sintillating idea is better.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
Doubt they can catch lightning in a bottle twice but we'll see. On the other bit of news maybe this is how we finally get Bryan Cranston as Luther.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
give me 2ker

give me Batman 2 featuring Joaquin Joker

MAKE ME FEEL LIKE IT'S 2008 AGAIN