• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Movies and tv have been doing that for decades. Nut jobs these days are just as easily radicalized by video games streamers and YouTube personalities. It comes across as such a faux concern.
Welcome to many films made over the past 60 or so years.

This is all true. Not saying it's anything new, but we are at a place right now where incels already feel emboldened and go on shooting sprees.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If movies can influence people like some are claiming here, then games can too, and the same standard should be applied there.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Wow, a 10 from IGN. DC produces both the very best and the very worst comic book movies.

Personally speaking, it's one of the reason I prefer their media over Marvel.

Marvel is fairly consistent, you tend to know what you're getting into. DC is like... riding a rollercoaster drunk, it may turn out well, you may throw up on yourself, but you're in for a wild ride.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I'm so happy the movie is getting great reviews tho the early embargo definitely hinted at WB being confident in it.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
He's not wrong. It's going to incite a crowd that identifies with a villain, without them being able to understand why he's a villain.
Kinda like Tyler Durden from Fight Club and how people didn't understand the character at all and thought he's somehow someone you should strive to be.
Having said that, I don't think these movies should be censored in any way just because some people are unable to understand the meaning behind them.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Marvel is fairly consistent, you tend to know what you're getting into. DC is like... riding a rollercoaster drunk, it may turn out well, you may throw up on yourself, but you're in for a wild ride.
Agree 100%

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Every single review praised Phoenix performance

Ohh, i think this guy will be nominated

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018

Same. Their highs are so much higher than Marvel. But yeah, those lows.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest concerns with this movie have never been whether it was good or not, but how it deals with angry white men and nihilistic rage, what kind of message it has and how some corners of extremism will latch on to it, and if we'll have more school shootings, more mass shooting, more chaos, more of the fabric of society destroyed.
That's certainly one way to take it. I'm curious why there is such a concern for this movie? We've had movies and tv shows that delve into these topics. It's not something inherently new, people will always take what they like and ignore the point.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Good to hear it's getting solid reviews. Shame it's not a DC Universe movie (which really could do with a movie like this) and is just a stand alone film but I'm still looking forward to seeing it.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
It looked fucking brilliant from the first trailer on and I was really weirded by all the people being all sceptical and concerned about it. As if we can't have a movie with an immoral main protagonist.

Glad to hear that the movie came out good.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
sDC9zfn.jpg
LOL this gets me every time.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
This is all true. Not saying it's anything new, but we are at a place right now where incels already feel emboldened and go on shooting sprees.

Incels are being emboldened by actual white supremacists, mysogonists, nationalists, the fucking President, ect...that have a very captive audience day in and day out to preach to. We are long past the point of a misunderstood comic book movie character ranking up there when the real danger is young men being brainwashed by people all over YouTube and twitch and twitter with real agendas. Since the moment the initial Joker teaser hit, its has felt like concern trolling to be honest.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh youre not wrong....on some level. However how many games out there put you in the shoes of the villain and try to make you sympathize with them?

I mean....that's kinda the argument against Grand Theft Auto, right?

We shouldn't require media to conform to some standard where nobody can misunderstand it. That just dumbs down everything.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pouring one out for Jared Leto.

Aside from being a shitty Joker, now he's sandwiched in between Ledger's Joker and Pheonix's Joker.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always had faith and called an Oscar nomination after the first teased. Jaoquin is one the the greats. Very interested to see where Todd Phillips goes from here as well.

Also getting flashbacks of people blaming games and Marilyn Manson for bad shit. It's fucking ridiculous.

kilg0re

Oct 25, 2017
I was excited reading the tweet but reading the review he gave it a C+.

He seems to like to the movie, but is worried about the problematic aspects it supports. He believes it aids incel's in their beliefs and narrative.

I can totally see that with what we know about the movie. While I love anti-hero stories, they do deserve to be critiqued for enabling toxic ideology. The number of people I know who understand that you're not supposed to be agreeing with the heroes. With Fight Club and A Clockwork Orange, it's absolutely bonkers how "fans" just completely whiz pass the point. He seems to want to have a discussion around why this sort of media shouldn't escape this type criticism. The author's intent doesn't matter when a piece of media pushes a toxic narrative that it fails to address correctly.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Incels are being emboldened by actual white supremacists, mysogonists, nationalists, the fucking President, ect...that have a very captive audience day in and day out to preach to. We are long past the point of a misunderstood comic book movie character ranking up there when the real danger is young men being brainwashed by people all over YouTube and twitch and twitter with real agendas. Since the moment the initial Joker teaser hit, its has felt like concern trolling to be honest.
Indeed.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
So does media inspire real life violence or not? Used to be the left mocked out of touch old politicians who blamed videogames and heavy metal for school shootings. But now this movie is going to destroy the world? Pick one, it can't be both.

Say this movie does inspire some alt-right lowlives to shoot up a school. It probably will. Should we blame the movie? The director? Or should we blame a broken world where mental health isn't taken seriously?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to request to full servings of crow for myself. Thank you.

I really did think the movie would turn out to be a disjointed, "we live in a society" mess. It seems I was wrong and I'll actually have to go to the theater to see this one.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That's certainly one way to take it. I'm curious why there is such a concern for this movie? We've had movies and tv shows that delve into these topics. It's not something inherently new, people will always take what they like and ignore the point.
Because this film seems to so strongly directly relate to that modern internet conservative and alt-right messaging with that nihilistic clown world nonsense that you see on hate sites that are traced to so many of these mass killers.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

You're not wrong in terms of real-world danger of what is actually occurring. And I'm not saying this movie shouldn't exist or be censored in any way, shape, or form due to how people may choose to interpret in. I just think there will be a larger, more vocal crowd this time that chooses to latch onto this and claim, "THIS MOVIE UNDERSTANDS ME!" than some in the past.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He seems to like to the movie, but is worried about the problematic aspects it supports. He believes it aids incel's in their beliefs and narrative.

I can totally see that with what we know about the movie. While I love anti-hero stories, they do deserve to be critiqued for enabling toxic ideology. The number of people I know who understand that you're not supposed to be agreeing with the heroes. With Fight Club and A Clockwork Orange, it's absolutely bonkers how "fans" just completely whiz pass the point. He seems to want to have a discussion around why this sort of media shouldn't escape this type criticism. The author's intent doesn't matter when a piece of media pushes a toxic narrative that it fails to address correctly.
I think that criticism is kind of dumb to be honest with you. There will always be dumb people who'll take meaning of movies wrong. to place the blame on the movie itself for you the dumbness of people is just dumb