• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow.

That's some praise it's getting. Just a small amount of reviews but all I've read are all highly praising the film.

Sep 12, 2018

200w.gif

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Wow, a 10 from IGN. DC produces both the very best and the very worst comic book movies.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this quote from the IGN review is important.

As many real-world parallels and inspirations can be uncomfortably drawn from Arthur's descent into violent madness, the film still knows he's deranged and not to be romanticized – merely understood.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I find myself looking forward to it. If it were anyone but Phoenix it probably wouldn't even be on my radar but I have a feeling he could elevate the role beyond even Ledger.

Hopefully some here get over their grumbling and give it a fair shake.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly shocked Todd Phillips actually delivered a film like this. Didn't know he had it in him.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
After a toooon of skepticism from myself personally, I'm glad to hear it's apparently good -- but people are dumb and gonna take it as some Bane shit, which will overshadow how good it is. Was waiting on reviews to decide and unless early consensus changes, I'll see it.

People find inspiration in whatever they want to but the ubiquity of the Joker brings out the worst of those types I find.

That said, that's not so much on the movie (albeit it sounds like they show he's fucked up and a bad person, hopefully with real consequences too), versus the people being motherfuckers following a fictional supervillian and using it to mass murder. I digress.

Again, glad to hear it's good. The more good movies, comic book or not, the better. They don't preclude the existence of other types of movies either yall.

Oct 27, 2017
Ehrlich's review is basically what I was worried about. Not so much any real-world consquences, just not knowing how to handle itself.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, if you have reviews that are not in the OP, feel free to post them and tag me so I can add them. Thanks.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest concerns with this movie have never been whether it was good or not, but how it deals with angry white men and nihilistic rage, what kind of message it has and how some corners of extremism will latch on to it, and if we'll have more school shootings, more mass shooting, more chaos, more of the fabric of society destroyed (obviously this is a rather dire take on this movies release, and i'm not trying to blame the film for anything, but I just hope it has a message that challenges these concepts).

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That first trailer was fantastic though.

There were cool things about it but the main character's motivations seemed weird and undercooked. Guess I'm too used to trailers spelling out the whole movie because the trailer almost implied the dude became a psycho because he got rejected once and got bullied in the past. Happy to see this seems to be a mature and thought-provoking take on the character, not what I expected from the current DC.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Fuck yes! It seems we're getting a winner here! Oscar worthy for the looks of it. Marvel can get all the money but it seems DC will get all dem Oscars!