• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I liked it. Joaquin is obviously amazing but I can't really pick out any weak links as far as the acting is concerned. I think Todd Phillips has been doing his movie a bit of a disservice with all his complaining about woke culture and the like because frankly the movie doesn't touch on that really. Joker doesn't come across as an incel.. he just comes across as a very mentally unwell man.

I do wonder how a sequel could work without it becoming overtly a Batman movie.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
People seem all over the place on this movie. Even down to specific scenes being the best thing ever or not fitting in the movie at all.

Oct 28, 2017
This is one of those movies that has me really torn on how I feel about it.

On the one hand, I thought Phoenix was extraordinary in the title role but on the other I felt it was mostly just a miserable experience and I wasn't entertained by it. It mostly just made me feel sad and disturbed. With most depictions of the Joker there's an element to his character this is entertaining. He's got that dark humor, he's calculating. You almost root for him in a way because he's always one step ahead of the good guys. But in this iteration he's just sad and mentally ill... his characterization was almost too "real." It hit too close to home.. I felt pity for Arthur and I thought movie went a little too far in making him an anti-hero.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Great movie. Strong performances. Not really a comic book movie, which is a large part of the reason I love it and many others do not.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
I thought this movie would be the case where its a decent drama in its own right, but just a terrible "Joker" movie because it is so divorced from the comics and the titular character himself.

But I was wrong. It's just a bad movie all around with one actor who just for some reason went all in with it and tries to hold it up the best he can. But he can't.

The biggest joke is the people fooling their selves into thinking this is some great exercise in cinema. I'm not saying people can't like the movie, I personally love quite a few movies that are "bad" but I like them anyway. But I still recognize that they are bad.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
saw it,
I give it an 8.8/10,

there was one unnecessary scene that should have been cut out IMO, and it would have been perfect without it

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I have noticed the 1/5 reviews are all word salads which have the reviewers opening up the thesaurus to find alternate words to populate their paragraphs in order to make them look more wordy. I must not be the only one seeing this

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yo stayed up thinking about this movie. I want to go again and the scene I'm anticipating the most is the dance scene

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Or seemingly love everything about it but then give it a bad rating because they're worried about how disturbing it is? Some of the negative reviews are really weird in how they read.
I mean, yeah, a movie being well-made on a technical level doesn't warrant a high/good rating alone. This isn't a car review. Themes, tone, commentary can matter just as much as cinematography, performances, and soundtrack.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Or seemingly love everything about it but then give it a bad rating because they're worried about how disturbing it is? Some of the negative reviews are really weird in how they read.

Yeah the reviews for this movie are just really strange. There's just no way the film is a 1/5 lol, no matter how bad the "messaging" is. At the very least it's incredibly competent on a technical level.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I thought this movie would be the case where its a decent drama in its own right, but just a terrible "Joker" movie because it is so divorced from the comics and the titular character himself.

But I was wrong. It's just a bad movie all around with one actor who just for some reason went all in with it and tries to hold it up the best he can. But he can't.

The biggest joke is the people fooling their selves into thinking this is some great exercise in cinema. I'm not saying people can't like the movie, I personally love quite a few movies that are "bad" but I like them anyway. But I still recognize that they are bad.
Or maybe you're not receptive to a modern comic-inspired take on Taxi Driver for some reason.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm about to see it again next week. Almost did it with Blade Runner 2049 but with this one I'm definitely going.

I see a lot of comments and reviews of people who didn't liked the movie because it didn't developed well the subjects it touched or didn't have a main message as if a movie needed that to be great. What really impacted me was it's execution. Every scene filled of details, every Arthur movement with a lot of intention, the attemp to understand what's going on in his mind everytime. I was really astonished by that and it evoked me a lot of different feelings and sensations during my watch.

Last edited:

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
There's been a lot of talk about Taxi Driver and The Kings of Comedy.

But you can see a lot of influence from 1976's Network in Joker too. "Network" was another movie about a man suffering from mental illness / having a mental breakdown. I'm glad more reviews are mentioning Network in their Joker reviews.

Last edited:

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Good movie.The restroom dance scene went on longer than needed.

I'm clueless how this Joker would ever end up being a criminal mastermind. Seems to be coasting by on coincidence.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017

Just because you think the movie is "bad", doesn't mean that it actually is lmao. "Bad" movies don't garner awards at film festivals.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
lol.

That is definitely what this movie wishes it could be.
I don't see how it doesn't achieve that aim with its sureness of direction and Phoenix's pained expressive performance.

It's a grim portrait of a deeply troubled man's decline, mirrored by the class resentment overtaking the city. I found the whole thing totally effective. The film charts Fleck's descent from bad to worse with hideous, uncomfortable intimacy. The whole city feels diseased. The authenticity and immersive quality of this story is no accident, but the result of top notch filmmaking and an exceptional lead performance.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
It was kinda refreshing to see
Thomas Wayne as a Trump stand-in. First time I've seen him depicted as an elitist asshole.
Probably a lot closer to reality

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

We're neither made privy to anything underlying the Wayne agenda, nor to what's actually happening in Gotham — its spike in crime, its economic downturn, or why Thomas Wayne calls its citizens "clowns" — and so why its people might take after a clown-faced murderer is something of a mystery. The "why" of crime in Gotham might not be necessary to explore, but the only crimes that ever unfold on-screen are groups of people ganging up on Arthur for fun. Joker may be nominally "about" class, but it makes the rich and the poor seem equally shitty.

I can sorta see why people are split on the movie given this quote. This doesn't sound like anything that's conducive to any thematic through-line beyond how receptive you are to the strengths of Joker's portrayal as a character. Based on those leaked clips from the other month it certainly felt like it had the style but I wasn't all that convinced of the substance of it.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I can sorta see why people are split on the movie given this quote. This doesn't sound like anything that's conducive to any thematic through-line beyond how receptive you are to the strengths of Joker's portrayal as a character. Based on those leaked clips from the other month it certainly felt like it had the style but I wasn't all that convinced of the substance of it.
The movie explains all of that in the background.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Just got out of it, thought it was good but it wasn't worth all of the immeasurable hype that it got beforehand. It's no Logan or Dark Knight.

I do agree that what it does try to say, it does in a rather shallow and obvious manner and is primarily carried by Phoenix's fantastic performance. Also everytime his mom was on screen I kept thinking Barney's mom from HIMYM.

Oct 25, 2017

This is also a great read

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Not sure if posted yet, but Polygon review says the movie basically has no substance and has nothing to say. Interesting take. I didn't read the whole review, because it seems rather spoilery. So SPOILER WARNING. Joaquin Phoenix's physical performance never pierces the psychology of the character... The rigor is in service of a movie without anything to say..
I don't understand these critiques when the movie is so obvious and on the nose with its messaging, which is eat the rich and the way the powerful (whether that's the media or rich) treat mental illness is deplorable. This isn't remotely subtle at all.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just saw it, absolute masterpiece in my opinion. Loved Phoenix so much and the whole tone of the movie was great aswell.