• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I think they were really trying to establish Joker being 30 years old in this film. Let's say Bruce is like...12, max. He most often debuts as Batman when he's 25, so that would make Joker 45.

I much prefer Bat and Joker being closer in age so that Joker can keep up.
Honestly, I was hoping it would end up
at least Phoenix's Joker dying and someone that he inspired ends up being the Joker we know

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think they were really trying to establish Joker being 30 years old in this film. Let's say Bruce is like...12, max. He most often debuts as Batman when he's 25, so that would make Joker 45.

I much prefer Bat and Joker being closer in age so that Joker can keep up.

Its also kinda funny that everyone knows who Joker is in this universe, when in the mythos he is supposed to be unidentifiable.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not into comic book movies, but DC just won a fan for life. What a rollercoaster ride.

Oct 25, 2017
Thought the movie was pretty fantastic, and a great Elseworlds kind of take on the character. I'd love to see more unusual, non-larger cinematic universe movies like this one made.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
lmao at ranking this joker above ledger, you guys are on crack. You guys don't digest food you just eat it.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
for me its still Ledger > Mark Hamill >>> Phoenix > who really cares about the rest

I thought movie was just ok, its a nice "reset the bar" after Suicide Squad but its not a great comic movie and its not a great standalone drama, so not really sure where it slots in. A one off I enjoyed watching but will never watch again or really think about?

To me the more crazy thing is how many people are buying tickets, this really feels like a more indie artsy movie and its selling like a mainline MCU movie. Its crazy how more comic movies didn't get slotted in this slow time after Endgame wrapped up and whatever Marvel has cooking for 2020.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely still prefer Heath Ledger's, but it's true we don't see Phoenix in Joker mode enough, and they're also very different.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The moment Phoenix joker went over ledger is at the very end, when he

paints his smile with his blood . That sealed it

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it. It was pretty slow for the most part, but the last 20-30 minutes were fantastic. I didn't want it to end since it was getting so good.

Don't think I'll watch it again though. I felt depressed most of the time.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I'm of two minds of this movie.

I thought it was a well done take on the Joker, with a great performance by Phoenix. I think seeing stuff like this is way more interesting than some of the by the number superhero movies being pumped out.

But Phillips definitely ain't Scorsese, no matter how hard he emulates.
I feel like Phillips was going for a Bickle type character that doesn't understand society; doesn't understand norms with delusions that ultimately dictate his actions as opposed to Arthur who, yes becomes the tragic clown and gets beaten his first scenes by teenagers, or by the wall street dudes, or by his mother and her old boyfriend, or De Niro... I get it but it then ultimate boils down to a "look what you made me do" scenario.

I know I shouldn't compare this movie with Taxi Driver or King of Comedy, but man... when it wears its influence on its sleeve this obviously, it's hard not to.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
Just for the Talk Show moment alone.

Phoenix>>Heath Ledger

That moment was just pure Joker effective. Although, I would have wished more Joker screening and moments.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Just got out and it was an absolute masterpiece to me. What a fucking incredible experience. Going to watch it again on Saturday.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw the trailer for Birds of Prey in front of this movie. Why did they even bother calling it "Birds of Prey"? Looks like it is pretty much Harley Quinn: The Motion Picture.

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy unreliable narrators, and I think this movie did it well. What I didn't like, though, was how
when it's revealed that he never actually had a relationship with that woman in his appartment complex, they had to pull a flashback scene of all the scenes where they were together to show he was actually alone. I'm not stupid. It devalued the twist.
The average movie goer is that stupid though.

Reply to your spoiler:

I swear i heard 3 people say "Whats going on? Aren't they a couple?" During that whole scene where he entered her apartment. There was confusion.

Just got out of my showing and loved it. Even my girlfriend who isn't a comic fan loved it. Don't need to be a comic fan. Really can't wait to see it again when it comes out on digital.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What was the fucking point of casting Marc Maron for such a nothing character?
Well, it's not like he's a huge star. It seemed about right. The accent surprised me, in a good way.
The average movie goer is that stupid though.

Reply to your spoiler:

I swear i heard 3 people say "Whats going on? Aren't they a couple?" During that whole scene where he entered her apartment. There was confusion.
It's a real shame. How it's not the most obvious thing in the world the moment:
the woman is distressed he's in her apartment and talks like she doesn't know him is beyond me.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just for the Talk Show moment alone.

Phoenix>>Heath Ledger

That moment was just pure Joker effective. Although, I would have wished more Joker screening and moments.
I'm still digesting the movie but the current feeling is that this scene is one the best I ever watched. Had a rollercoaster of emotions.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Joaquin Phoenix was fantastic. Cinematography and sound was on point. And you can really see just how much Arthur was pushed to the brink and not only the repercussions of what he did, but also what he feels about it. Overall it was a movie that if it wins awards for, I'd say it was totally deserved. Especially Phoenix. He was the stand out of the entire thing.

I hated all of it. Never watching it again. I was starting to barely come around to it. But
when he kills Penny in that way I did not want to be there anymore and wanted to leave. Hated it. I know that she did terrible things. I know. I just....don't know why I hated that moment so much.
I'm glad it was a free ticket. Really glad.

I totally see how people can love it. And I applaud that. But it wasn't for me.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
lmao at ranking this joker above ledger, you guys are on crack. You guys don't digest food you just eat it.

We don't really see enough of Phoenix's Joker. We get 15 minutes or so at the end, and to be honest I was mesmerized everytime the Joker (not Arthur) was on screen. I don't think it's a fair comparison.

If DC and Phoenix came to an agreement for him to be the Joker going forward for more connected films involving Batman and others, I think we would see some pretty stellar stuff from Phoenix. We certainly saw it at the end of this film. We just didn't get enough of it.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Joaquin Phoenix was fantastic. Cinematography and sound was on point. And you can really see just how much Arthur was pushed to the brink and not only the repercussions of what he did, but also what he feels about it. Overall it was a movie that if it wins awards for, I'd say it was totally deserved. Especially Phoenix. He was the stand out of the entire thing.

I hated all of it. Never watching it again. I was starting to barely come around to it. But
when he kills Penny in that way I did not want to be there anymore and wanted to leave. Hated it. I know that she did terrible things. I know. I just....don't know why I hated that moment so much.
I'm glad it was a free ticket. Really glad.

I totally see how people can love it. And I applaud that. But it wasn't for me.
Some people left our theater during that moment. Funny, because I've seen comic book villains do so much worse.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Some people left our theater during that moment. Funny, because I've seen comic book villains do so much worse.
Maybe it's because I'm taking of someone the same way. No abuse at all first of all. Nothing like that. and seeing that kind of made me see myself there for a second. And something inside me told me to get out now.

But I'm a softie. So maybe I'm just overreacting.

Don't let my bad experience detract people from watching though. I'm just one random guy lol. My thoughts on the movie don't mean squat. Go see it people.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Maybe it's because I'm taking of someone the same way. No abuse at all first of all. Nothing like that. and seeing that kind of made me see myself there for a second. And something inside me told me to get out now.

But I'm a softie. So maybe I'm just overreacting.

Don't let my bad experience detract people from watching though. I'm just one random guy lol. My thoughts on the movie don't mean squat. Go see it people.
I am too, and he left the theater way before that, lol. He doesn't like drama, he just likes action. (He loved Suicide Squad, believe it or not.)

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Was definitely nice to see somthing darker for a change. The super clean and safe MCU has gotten beyond stale and boring at this point. I hope the next Batman film strikes a similar tone.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a real shame. How it's not the most obvious thing in the world the moment:
the woman is distressed he's in her apartment and talks like she doesn't know him is beyond me.
It's obvious the relationship is a fantasy the moment he knocks on her door and sticks his tongue down her throat after they've said all of ten sentences to each other. I think they tipped their hand too much with the Murray Franklin Show fantasy sequence, and by having him immediately get physical with this woman after he spent the day stalking her.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
It's obvious the relationship is a fantasy the moment he knocks on her door and sticks his tongue down her throat after they've said all of ten sentences to each other. I think they tipped their hand too much with the Murray Franklin Show fantasy sequence, and by having him immediately get physical with this woman after he spent the day stalking her.
I actually bought right into it, it never occurred to me.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
See, I still wasn't expecting it despite the fact that it didn't seem right.
As I said in an earlier comment, the fact that she's into him immediately after he stalks her like a creep didn't seem right. She was on his wavelength the entire time, which is bizarre considering no one is on Arthur's, and a random girl in his apartment being like that he just happened to come across? But I just dismissed it all as a Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope that would be part of Arthur's descent into the Joker once she died or something.

So I appreciated the twist.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Just finished, great movie, not enough of Phoenix Joker so Ledger to me is still the bar. Still, Phoenix was really good when he was the Joker, would love to see him in a Batman film to compare Phoenix to Ledger on more equal terms.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just got out of the movie, man, what an experience. This will easily have a more lasting impact on me personally than the entirety of the MCU. I watch and enjoy he MCU films for what they are but holy fuck Joker is just masterclass.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how I felt about it. I'm leaning toward dislike more than like, but I'm somewhere in the middle. I really wanted to like it more, or at least wanted to like Phoenix more. I don't know. I need to see it again, but I'll probably wait until it's available for rent. I will say that I can't really fathom how anyone could give it an 8-minute standing ovation... but I guess those film festival screening responses are often overreactive.
I initially scoffed at the use of Rock and Roll Part 2 but that stairway scene ended up being my favorite part of the movie. Everything that comes after that is very good – it's some of the earlier parts of the movie that left me feeling disappointed.

Last edited:

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's unfair to compare Ledger and Phoenix because both play VERY different versions of the character.

Although, I will say that last half hour was incredible and I think Phoenix was the closest thing to a joker from the animated series/ comic animated movies and I loved that.
10/10 movie though still thinking about it this morning and can't wait to go again.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Hamil's Joker is still the best Joker for me.

Pheonix and Ledger are a variation of a theme (both brilliant no doubt), but Hamil IS the source material.